The horrible reality with Liverpool

Brophs

The One and Only
We used to do that in the last twenty minutes of games and people used to complain we couldn't attack. They can't attack either, btw. Look at their midfielders: they're all tacklers and runners, not passers as a real attacking team like Man City have.

They concede three goals in quick succession from counter-attacks?
No idea what’s happened there but none of that quote is mine.

Crashoutcassius

Anyone that knew klopps Dortmund will remember they could have tremendous momentum but rarely sustained long enough for the league. Momentum also happened in the other direction and injuries tended to snowball

tonnas

So much drama from certain people about Liverpool. They finished 4th for a reason and referees helped them a lot vs City and Roma, not worried at all re next season. They will finish behind city us and most probably spurs

Red Star One

I don’t have this feeling and deep in my heart I believe they keep bottling. But on paper they look very good and make really decent transfers - Keita will be fantastic for them - this I admit.

Andersons Dietician

I think on their day they have the ability to demolish anyone. Not sure if they have the complete league winning longevity to do it. Just the way they play is so open and free that they will always have a vulnerability. They massively improved on protecting that this season compared to last, but I just don’t see how they find a middle ground that they become this all conquering force like City were this season. They might challenge for 2nd do well in cup comps but league nah.

Do have a fear/feeling they could destroy Madrid especially if they can take advantage of Marcelo. However Ronaldo, Europe, Big game. The stage is set for him.

Last edited:

Treble

Let's first see how the transfer summer pans out. United are going to invest 250m in new signings. Or even more. We'll have a better squad than them.

PhilMcD79

Which team do you think will be and why do you feel Liverpool will fall short?
Because they always do. Liverpool are a cup team, able to raise their game in one off cup games and sporadically against the big teams but aren't consistent enough and don't have enough squad depth to challenge for a league.

Schneckerl

No, it's a fluke. They have the edge in a direct matchup against City and that happened to be the only really good team they met in the CL. Their overall record isn't that fantastic and doesn't suggest they'd do equally well against other top tier teams.

This is assuming they won't have a fantastic transfer window though.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
I think whilst our manager is performing better with his resources than yours, our team is pretty operating at close to maximum level whereas yours lacks that cohesion. So if you can get that, then you'll be much closer to City than us (You won't win Prem though at least not next season).

We need to add quality to our ranks and are doing that with the addition of Keita and possibly Fekir, but it means that they have to hit the ground running and have good seasons. With Klopp we have been getting it right with big signings a lot more. mane last season, Salah and VVD this. That's what we'd need imo, to even finish above you, let alone challenge City.

I'd be surprised if the top 3 is not City, United, Liverpool next season, likely in that order, let's see how the transfer window pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:

mark_a

They were average enough up until Christmas. They’ve made vast improvements and play very nice football but ultimately they haven’t won anything significant yet under Klopp. I’ll reserve my judgement until next season, all these fancy names are no guarantee to fit in, we’re a prime example of that. Not every transfer will work out like Salah.

Having said that, if they win champions league, that would wrap up their season as a great success obviously.
Didn't they not win at all in January? And there was quite a few games

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They'll find a way to feck it up, they always do, it's Liverpool afterall

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think many of us will have a similar feeling on this. They are taking massive strides and most teams would probably be more scared to play them than us in any given game at the moment.

Any team with an ability to score goals at will is well on their way to becoming something, and they have that. Tomorrow’s final isn’t even in my thinking regarding the above. That said, regardless of the league standings, I’d say they are more likely to beat Real than we would be.

cyberman

Liverpool finished fourth though.
They'll struggle to mount a challenge because Klopp is spending like a mad man on the starting eleven while the squad itself is paper thin.
You're not catching City and even us if you don't have the squad numbers to rotate.

Camilo

Liverpool have been outstanding at times this season, but other times they've been stumped. I don't think they're that good. Klopp has got good players to play with a high intensity, and it's worked well for them.

They're boys though - Real Madrid are men. Liverpool won't find it easy, and I think Real will win it.. But hey, I'm supporting Liverpool for it - good luck to them. Madrid don't deserve to be in the final, and the way Liverpool demolished City...they deserve it in my book. It's good for English football.

But for the league next year, they need to sign some men. It's a good team, but Henderson, Milner, Chamberlain - they're not leaders.. They should angle for someone like Bonucci to replace Lovren.. As European champions they'd have a summer to cement their position.. We're winning the league next year though, so it ultimately doesn't matter what they do. :)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
While it's true they have transformed into a very good team, if I had to guess, they won't win the league with Klopp.

As their attacking game relies so heavily on attacking transitions, it's difficult to see this style of play being maintained consistently over the 38 game season. To me, this is because Liverpool rely a lot on how the other team sets up against them - there is clear daylight in their performances against City this season vs. the games against us. Pep being Pep was inclined to play close to his regular system, being brave on the ball, trying to play on the front foot, etc cetera.

Look at the 3-0 against City in the CL. All 3 goals came directly from the next attack after they won the ball from City on the floor. I would argue that Liverpool are the best side in the world at attacking transitions, and so trying to play this style of play against them is inevitably going to be extremely dangerous and difficult. The difference in the Premier League is (especially smaller) sides are far more reluctant to give Liverpool this chance. Sides like Burnley and West Brom, who don't have the technical ability to consistently play out from the back, have no option but to find alternative ways of starting attacks, ie. 'going long'. For me this is a good tactic against Liverpool because it means there is less chance of defenders being caught out of position and punished. Of course if you are actively trying to play out from the back your fullbacks, deep midfielders etc. are going to move out of their starting defensive position to aid the build up. Naturally this is exactly what the likes of Salah and Mané want as it gives them space to attack.

Conversely look at how Young, Matic and Sanchez helped to crowd out Salah in the win at OT. Young only ventured forward at safe times and so there was so little opportunity for him to play his game and get at us. Over a 38 game season I don't think Liverpool are suited for this type of match, which will inevitably happen as it is the 'obvious' way to play against them. Because Liverpool are so much better when the opposition play into their hands, I don't think their CL standards are maintainable over the course of a year. Inevitably you then must look at the other factors coming into play like fatigue and injuries.

Of course this could prove to be complete tripe and they walk the league next season. It's not intended as a criticism of them or Klopp, just an observation and prediction from myself.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
They're boys though - Real Madrid are men. Liverpool won't find it easy, and I think Real will win it.. But hey, I'm supporting Liverpool for it - good luck to them. Madrid don't deserve to be in the final, and the way Liverpool demolished City...they deserve it in my book. It's good for English football.
Who do you support in general?

ROFLUTION

They have more opportunities this year than in a long time IE more transfer-funds and better players coming because of their brand of football. But we've also seen how the pressure of the club can make them crumble after finishing 2nd. And Klopp can implode too.

ZAGREB RED

I think under Klopp no matter what heights they reach - obviously hoping they won't scale a particular height this Saturday - they will always be more likely to be a good Cup side as opposed to putting up any sustained challenge for the League. Last season the perfect example was beating City one week then losing to Swansea the next. Whether or not they can hold on to Salah will obviously have a signifcant bearing on any success in the coming seasons. If they do, whether he can replicate this season's form will be quite a challenge for him.
The fact they have reached the CL final with players like Karius, Lovren, Henderson and Milner in their side shows just how good their attacking players actually are.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
While it's true they have transformed into a very good team, if I had to guess, they won't win the league with Klopp.

As their attacking game relies so heavily on attacking transitions, it's difficult to see this style of play being maintained consistently over the 38 game season. To me, this is because Liverpool rely a lot on how the other team sets up against them - there is clear daylight in their performances against City this season vs. the games against us. Pep being Pep was inclined to play close to his regular system, being brave on the ball, trying to play on the front foot, etc cetera.

Look at the 3-0 against City in the CL. All 3 goals came directly from the next attack after they won the ball from City on the floor. I would argue that Liverpool are the best side in the world at attacking transitions, and so trying to play this style of play against them is inevitably going to be extremely dangerous and difficult. The difference in the Premier League is (especially smaller) sides are far more reluctant to give Liverpool this chance. Sides like Burnley and West Brom, who don't have the technical ability to consistently play out from the back, have no option but to find alternative ways of starting attacks, ie. 'going long'. For me this is a good tactic against Liverpool because it means there is less chance of defenders being caught out of position and punished. Of course if you are actively trying to play out from the back your fullbacks, deep midfielders etc. are going to move out of their starting defensive position to aid the build up. Naturally this is exactly what the likes of Salah and Mané want as it gives them space to attack.

Conversely look at how Young, Matic and Sanchez helped to crowd out Salah in the win at OT. Young only ventured forward at safe times and so there was so little opportunity for him to play his game and get at us. Over a 38 game season I don't think Liverpool are suited for this type of match, which will inevitably happen as it is the 'obvious' way to play against them. Because Liverpool are so much better when the opposition play into their hands, I don't think their CL standards are maintainable over the course of a year. Inevitably you then must look at the other factors coming into play like fatigue and injuries.

Of course this could prove to be complete tripe and they walk the league next season. It's not intended as a criticism of them or Klopp, just an observation and prediction from myself.
Those defensive sides rarely trouble us anymore, sure it's still frustrating playing against those sides but we regularly trash them now. West Brom & Stoke games, we was focused on the CL.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Those defensive sides rarely trouble us anymore, sure it's still frustrating playing against those sides but we regularly trash them now. West Brom & Stoke games, we was focused on the CL.
Yes I agree that you have become better at dealing with them, shown by some high-scoring wins. But I still maintain my prediction that I think Liverpool will slip up a few times too many over such a long season, in comparison with someone like City who had a near flawless run to the title.

LimerickRed

Until Liverpool can prove they can beat teams who sit back with a low block I am not that concerned

The Champions League suits them down them down to the ground with all teams looking to attack them leaving space in behind to counter and with that front 3 they will rip apart any team

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Essentially, we are in desperate need of better squad players. As long as we have to field Solanke, Ings, Klavan, Moreno etc every time we are playing two games a week or get an injury, we aren't getting near City.

Four additions in the summer, CB, Keita, FW and ST + hopefully Lallana and OX back should at least bring us closer. City are just so good, and you will probably spend big and have Mourinho at the helm who, unless he implodes like at Chelsea, will definitely keep you thereabouts.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Essentially, we are in desperate need of better squad players. As long as we have to field Solanke, Ings, Klavan, Moreno etc every time we are playing two games a week or get an injury, we aren't getting near City.

Four additions in the summer, CB, Keita, FW and ST + hopefully Lallana and OX back should at least bring us closer. City are just so good, and you will probably spend big and have Mourinho at the helm who, unless he implodes like at Chelsea, will definitely keep you thereabouts.
Think United will be top 4 but I can't see us challenging for the title next season. It doesn't seem so harmonious behind the scenes and it's much harder to rectify goalscoring issues than the other way round.

Liverpool could challenge for the league next year with luck. The problem is they need luck to do so as as you say your lack of quality squad players means your dependent on your frontline players. I would bet on Liverpool finishing in top four next year, but they are almost just as likely to finish 5th as they would be to genuinely challenge City.

Sterling Archer

Can anyone that shares the OP sentiment tell me how many points were Liverpool behind City in the league? The season end standings give good insight into a teams overall health. Cup competitions are not the best gauge in and of themselves.

I was more concerned with the team that did us 1-4 at Old Trafford under SAF and was much more balanced and consistent.

Henry Gaervell

Not with that defence and Herr Klopp's bltizkrieg tactics that eventually run out of steam during a game

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They have a lot to be optimistic about, unfortunately. Hopefully he either buys someone who ruins the balance or doesn't buy much and their key players were a one season wonder.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They are about 30 points behind City this year and somehow they will be their main title rivals this year.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It's a fair point. They've spent so little money (net) and they're absolutely flying.

What gets to me is, you look at their areas of weakness. Even with Keita coming in you could argue they need two midfielders, they could do with a centre back, more depth in attacking positions. But you get the feeling that if they do buy well in those areas of weakness, they will be a complete team. You can see it coming together.

But in our case, I don't feel that way. We need a centre mid, centre back, left back and right winger above all else, but I don't get this feeling that we'll be complete once we've bought in those areas. I feel like we could still go out and have a season similar to last season.

They have clarity in their team, they all know their roles, they have a clear identity and they fully believe in it. It's not easy for a team to achieve that.

So yeah I'm worried.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yeah, that's why they ripped through teams such as Swansea, WBA and Stoke. Lets not forget that Klopp's Liverpool have scored 0 goals from open play against United in the PL.

izec

Nobody would have thought the had a chance to reach the quarter finals or semi finals, let alone being in the CL final. Things can take a quick turn in football, and if Liverpool strengthen properly, they will be a candidate for the league title next season. What should stop them? A better and deeper squad next season will improve them. The got the basics covered, they just need better investment and players. We need better players and a better play style, the latter which we wont get with Jose

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Does anyone else have this horrible, lurking feeling of doom in relation to the Dippers?

Champions League final this weekend and they seem to have an unstoppable momentum in that competition, plus Keita and probably Fekir on the way in.

Through gritted teeth, I'm pretty jealous of the way they have twenty minute spells in games where they can demolish anyone in the world.It's amazing what happens when teams don't play with shackles.

They'll be City's main challengers in the league next season, which is a terrifying prospect. They've not won the title in my lifetime and it'll be unbearable when it happens.
They can't demolish Thanos; he has the stones

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
When your good season consisting of your new player hitting unprecedented and never before messi / ronaldo like performance... i dont bank on them to repeat it next season.

City on the other hand looks solid. They dont really rely much on one player.

Camilo

Who do you support in general?
As long as football is the winner..

United of course. But I've no hate for this Liverpool side.. I think it stems from the lack of attachment and belief I have in us right now - it's easier to be slightly aloof than be in a permanent state of despair!

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Our recruitment strategy is the best it's been for years. No more gambling on the likes of Downing, Adam and Carroll. Instead we're identifying quality targets and refusing to compromise until we can get them in. The likes of Van Dijk, Keita, Fekir, Salah, Mane etc are excellent players whom will form the spine of a very good side, at the least.

Whilst Pep is around, it's going to be very difficult to win the title, but Keita and Fekir should go some way to remedying some of the problems we have in breaking down sides that sit in a low block. That will help to improve our points total and could potentially see us in a title race next year, especially if we can make a couple more quality additions.

5red

Supports
Liverpool
Our recruitment strategy is the best it's been for years. No more gambling on the likes of Downing, Adam and Carroll. Instead we're identifying quality targets and refusing to compromise until we can get them in. The likes of Van Dijk, Keita, Fekir, Salah, Mane etc are excellent players whom will form the spine of a very good side, at the least.

Whilst Pep is around, it's going to be very difficult to win the title, but Keita and Fekir should go some way to remedying some of the problems we have in breaking down sides that sit in a low block. That will help to improve our points total and could potentially see us in a title race next year, especially if we can make a couple more quality additions.
Is the Fekir signing a done deal?

bubbles_

I remember when Klopp got to a CL final last time. His team went on an unstoppable rampage the season after.

They came 4th in the league and (as it stands) they’ve won feck all again.