The House in the Middle of the Street

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Homeowners Luo Baogen and his wife refused to allow the government to demolish their home in Wenling, Zhejiang province, China, claiming the relocation compensation offered would not be enough to cover the cost of rebuilding. So, adjacent neighboring homes were dismantled, and, bizarrely, the road was built around the intact home, leaving it as an island in a river of new asphalt. http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/the-house-in-the-middle-of-the-street/100411/

Democracy is alive and well in China!!

Drainy

:lol: just waiting for them to give up or die, then bulldoze and complete the road.

What is with people like this? There's the guy in the middle of the M62 and just a few miles away from where I live a single house that a shopping complex built around because one family wouldn't sell.

Who'd want to live in the middle of a motorway or around the back of a Staples megastore?

narnar

Needs Help
:lol: just waiting for them to give up or die, then bulldoze and complete the road.

What is with people like this? There's the guy in the middle of the M62 and just a few miles away from where I live a single house that a shopping complex built around because one family wouldn't sell.

Who'd want to live in the middle of a motorway or around the back of a Staples megastore?
I doubt it's that they do want to live there.

Spoony

The People's President
Stott Hall Farm

Stott Hall Farm, viewed from Moorland above westbound carriageway
Stott Hall Farm (53.641599°N 1.952222°W) is an 18th century farm on Windy Hill, situated between the two carriageways of the motorway between junctions 22 and 23.[22][33][34] The road forks around the farm for engineering reasons owing to the surrounding area's geology, though a local myth persists that the road had to be split because the owners refused to sell the land during its construction.[22] Due to its remoteness in the Pennines, the farm is often nicknamed the Little House on the Prairie, it is now known countrywide to lorry drivers using CB radio by this name and is even referred to as such by Sally Boazman, BBC Radio 2's traffic reporter. The farm is now separated from the motorway by crash barriers and a high fence to keep livestock in and drivers out, after some stranded motorists attempted to get aid when broken down.[22][35] The farm, which was occupied by Ken and Beth Wild at the time of the motorway's opening,[33] is now farmed by Paul Thorp.[22] It is one of the ten best-known sights from the motorway network[36] and one of the best-known sights in West Yorkshire.[35] The farm was used as a location for an early episode of ITV drama series Where the Heart Is and was the subject of a short documentary film.[37]

dr.twinny

So the house in the middle of the street is no more after the owners accepted a larger offer compensation. The Associated Press reported that Xiayangzhang village chief Chen Xuecai said the house was bulldozed on Saturday after Baogen agreed to accept compensation of 260,000 yuan ($41,000).

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise

isn't there also a farm on the M62 between leeds and manchester where the farmer also refused to sell so they also just built around his farm and dug him a tunnel so he can get out to tend his flock?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
They were absolutely right not to move. China rarely give enough compensation, sometimes none at all, to people whose homes are in the way of some new road they are building. I don't know if $41,000 is enough to find another decent house but at least they got more than the original offer