The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Carolina Red

Staff
By the time they hit us it is downgraded to a storm - we don't get the same sort of wind speeds you guys get - nowhere near. The sea around us is cold.
I know it’s supposed to weaken, it’s just funny that as you say that, there’s actually one pointed at you.

Carolina Red

Staff
Are you getting defensive about the fact I don't live in a part of the world that gets hit by hurricanes every year? Not sure why you are trying to argue the fact.
1) No.

2) I’m not arguing, I’m confused as to why you’ve been so serious towards a post that was a joke.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
My sister lives in Durham, NC. Doesn't seem to be too bad there though. She lives on the ground floor, so she checked into a hotel for a few days to get on a higher floor in case of flooding.

peridigm

This cam is 34 miles off the coast. Watched it all day yesterday from when the winds started picking up to when it got dark. The sea was angry as feck and tore the flag to shreds. It's only showing highlights of the calm before the storm now. There is other vidoes that explain how this platform came about. Interesting stuff.

Fergies Gum

Well, the water rescues have begun for a lot of the “ride it out” crowd.
They've needed to rescue hundreds just in New Bern. Its just infuriating to see so many selfish people who think they are tough and invincible.

Hope you're keeping safe and don't live near the affected areas.

Carolina Red

Staff
You doing okay there mate?
All is well so far. The outer cloud band just reached us, but the storm creeping along so I don’t suspect it will get too bad here until mid weekend. I’m going to go out this evening and tomorrow morning and strap some things down in the yard and dig a couple of drainage ditches so the whole thing doesn’t flood.
Darwin's Law should be applicable to such folks.
Governor McMaster apparently agrees with that... he basically told South Carolinians that he’s not going to send help in if you disobey the mandatory evacuation.
They've needed to rescue hundreds just in New Bern. Its just infuriating to see so many selfish people who think they are tough and invincible.

Hope you're keeping safe and don't live near the affected areas.
Yeah New Bern got smoked. I’ll post a link up in a few of a cool website that shows what areas would flood in different levels of storm surge. New Bern basically disappears after you hit 6 feet.

Carolina Red

Staff
@Fergies Gum - here's the interactive storm surge map I was talking about...

https://ss2.climatecentral.org/#9/3...=0-K14_RCP85-SLR&level=10&unit=feet&pois=hide

You can move around and adjust the surge levels from 1 to 10 feet to see how big of an area would be put underwater. My students didn't realize just how deep inland storm surge would go.

They're talking on the news about how Myrtle Beach could be cut off from the mainland by the surge just now. I actually showed them that this morning when we were looking at how much storm surge affects the Waccamaw River.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
My sister lives in Durham, NC. Doesn't seem to be too bad there though. She lives on the ground floor, so she checked into a hotel for a few days to get on a higher floor in case of flooding.
the power here went for a second but came back instantly. had me in a mild panic.

Fergies Gum

@Fergies Gum - here's the interactive storm surge map I was talking about...

https://ss2.climatecentral.org/#9/3...=0-K14_RCP85-SLR&level=10&unit=feet&pois=hide

You can move around and adjust the surge levels from 1 to 10 feet to see how big of an area would be put underwater. My students didn't realize just how deep inland storm surge would go.

They're talking on the news about how Myrtle Beach could be cut off from the mainland by the surge just now. I actually showed them that this morning when we were looking at how much storm surge affects the Waccamaw River.
That's a decent site. Weather Channel created some great graphics as well and is helpful in informing viewers how bad a storm surge can get.

Sandyman

:lol: I sat outside in a reclining lawn chair when Irma passed through last year.

My wife is leaving town to head to Florida tomorrow, so I fully intend to do the same this weekend.
How are you getting to Florida? Aren't the roads affected? Am assuming I-95 is blocked off.

Sandyman

She will take a route I’ve mapped out through Augusta and a bit of central Georgia that’ll avoid the storm.

I-95 below Savannah will be clear.
Ah good to hear. Couple of my friends were planning to drive down to Tampa for the Eagles Bucs game but are instead flying out now.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Typhoon signal 8 hoisted in HK now...

Florence on the left and Mangkhut on the right

Hong Kong got a battering then...

I saw more powerful storms there on paper but never anything that affected the city so much. Some friends said it was genuinely terrifying even with all the preparation.