The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Cal?

CR7 fan
As someone who lives in a typhoon zone, I feel really bad for Puerto Rico. :(

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Parts of New Orleans are being evacuated as tropical storm Nate is on its way and it's predicted to be another bad one and expected to increase to hurricane status somewhere over the Gulf of Mexico.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I’m inland. If it keeps its track and hits as a Cat 4, we will get tropical storm force winds, lots of rain, and possible tornadoes... but it won’t be like what they’ll get on the coast.
Good luck!

All my years of living in the Midwest and in tornado alley, I have never seen one nor had to prep for one. When I watch those Storm chasers on Discovery, it must be as a combination of luck and science.

But I guess in your area its becoming par for course due to climatic changes.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It's been really bad over here this year. The one last week that did all the damage in Osaka just skirted where we are. 20 miles away from me they are still dealing with the previous one.

Carolina Red

Staff
Good luck!

All my years of living in the Midwest and in tornado alley, I have never seen one nor had to prep for one. When I watch those Storm chasers on Discovery, it must be as a combination of luck and science.

But I guess in your area its becoming par for course due to climatic changes.
We’ve been getting a lot more tornados than we used to, from what I remember. I posted about this last year, but, in October we had a tornado pass over our house and touch down a half mile away.

If Florence hits as a Cat 4, here’s what Hugo did to Garden City, SC... 50 miles from landfall.

sglowrider

We’ve been getting a lot more tornados than we used to, from what I remember. I posted about this last year, but, in October we had a tornado pass over our house and touch down a half mile away.

If Florence hits as a Cat 4, here’s what Hugo did to Garden City, SC... 50 miles from landfall.

Holy cow! Have there been big improvements in housing construction codes since Hugo?

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's been really bad over here this year. The one last week that did all the damage in Osaka just skirted where we are. 20 miles away from me they are still dealing with the previous one.

Terrible year in terms of natural disasters in Japan :(

Carolina Red

Staff
Holy cow! Have there been big improvements in housing construction codes since Hugo?
Houses are being built sturdier, but you’re talking 14 foot storm surge in Garden City. Hugo was still a Cat 1 hurricane when it hit my parents house 200 miles inland and passed into North Carolina.

If that happens again, I don’t know how much the building improvements will matter.

It’s tracking towards what we call the “Grand Strand” around Myrtle Beach. Thousands and thousands of vacation cottages and huge hotels built right beside the beach.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Happy it's missing me (Bermuda) but really worried about landfall on the coast. She's really slow moving so people will get lots of warning, but only so much one can do whe houses are built that way, and in those areas.

After Harvey, Irma and Maria last year we weren't expecting another big summer, but it's almost like climate change might be making things worse...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I suggest that his eagerly-awaited book be titled Trump: Dangerous Twat.

sglowrider

Houses are being built sturdier, but you’re talking 14 foot storm surge in Garden City. Hugo was still a Cat 1 hurricane when it hit my parents house 200 miles inland and passed into North Carolina.

If that happens again, I don’t know how much the building improvements will matter.

It’s tracking towards what we call the “Grand Strand” around Myrtle Beach. Thousands and thousands of vacation cottages and huge hotels built right beside the beach.
At least you got this going for you:

Rest easy now.

Carolina Red

Staff
The European model ensemble is showing this thing taking a hard turn west along the SC/NC border once it makes landfall. If this happens, it’s gonna get dicey around here.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Mangkhut heading straight for Hong Kong, wind speed even higher than Florence. :nervous:

Cal?

CR7 fan
I heard the HKO might even create a T11 warning for this one.

205mph gusts :eek:
Wind speed currently somewhere near the level of Harvey, higher than Jebi which devastated Japan earlier. :eek:

Wind speed currently somewhere near the level of Harvey, higher than Jebi which devastated Japan earlier. :eek:
I'm glad i'm not around for this one. Typhoon Vicente was the worst I've experienced, despite not being the most powerful to hit on paper.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have a weird excitement around hurricanes. Whenever a big one is around my productivity craters and I get stuck following every minor update in the news cycle, its something about witnessing nature being so powerful.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I have a weird excitement around hurricanes. Whenever a big one is around my productivity craters and I get stuck following every minor update in the news cycle, its something about witnessing nature being so powerful.
Same. I know it's people's lives and stuff but I have a fascination with things like this. If I'm honest I love that it's a big powerful one.

Precaution

If anything it makes a nice change that Louisiana isnt getting hit this time, we missed Gordon by a country mile which petered out towards the Alabama/Mississippi border, weird excitement down here for Hurricanes to the extent of people look forward to Hurricane parties.

Florence looks as devastating as Katrina did and with it being slow moving, Carolinas will have a huge rebuild job afterwards, parts of New Orleans to this day have never recovered.

Carolina Red

Staff
Best case scenario playing out as wind shear is knocking some power out of Florence and the high pressure system moving in from the Midwest isn’t as strong as expected.

Florence should be a bit weaker and move a bit faster than expected

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's times like this I'm glad I live in boring old Northern Ireland where hurricanes and earthquakes simply do not exist. I would hate to live somewhere that has to worry about this every year. I'd move.