The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I’m in the Triangle area and no issues other than a few inches of rain and some decent wind. Shifted a bit east so we avoided 90% of it. Thanks for asking!
In western SC we had torrential rain and localied flooding all day yesterday, today was nice and sunny!

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I’m up near the mountains. It rained here but that’s it
I’m in the Triangle area and no issues other than a few inches of rain and some decent wind. Shifted a bit east so we avoided 90% of it. Thanks for asking!
Absolutely nothing. Quite underwhelming.

I’ll take underwhelming every time.

Thanks for the shout!
Glad you all are okay. I'm flying to Florida next week. Hopefully no hurricanes then. Fingers crossed. I booked my ticket yesterday and a few minutes after I saw on CNN a whole gas station was toppled over. :nervous:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Glad you all are okay. I'm flying to Florida next week. Hopefully no hurricanes then. Fingers crossed. I booked my ticket yesterday and a few minutes after I saw on CNN a whole gas station was toppled over. :nervous:
Everything looks good for your trip, no disturbances to note nearby Florida (there's actually five named systems in the Atlantic currently, but none pose a risk to the state).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
People will do anything for social media likes, like intentionally face plant during a typhoon!

I reckon she's safe at third but may need a video check as she may have slid past the bag.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Euro model had the turn east pretty much nailed on where it happened. I hadn't seen any follow up to realize the eyeball replacement hadn't completed.
Watching Invest 95L very closely. This one could be trouble.
Yep. 80% chance of being named within a week.

NotworkSte

You could see it on radar almost finish right as it made landfall. A half hour slower moving east and it probably would have
Denis Philips was getting worried as his kid is at FSU, you could tell from his voice. Posted a picture of his kid and his roommates watching him on TV.
I ended up falling asleep as it was passing Tampa as the winds were pretty low.

Incredibly, Macdill shut up shop, entire base evacuated. And... then posted about it on social media. Are you supposed to not tell social media when you're away? :D

Carolina Red

Staff
Denis Philips was getting worried as his kid is at FSU, you could tell from his voice. Posted a picture of his kid and his roommates watching him on TV.

Incredibly, Macdill shut up shop, entire base evacuated. And... then posted about it on social media. Are you supposed to not tell social media when you're away? :D
Dude I was scratching my head about that one too. That said, the St Elmo’s fire video they posted was cool

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Feckin hell! First I thought "ban"?! Why "ban" someone? Then I see a woman nosediving into the sidewalk and slipping on a wet road. Crazy few seconds
The wind had total control of her for about a second & a half.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

FSU has quite the meteorology program. Took an intro course as a freshman & it further deepened my fascination with tropical weather systems.

NotworkSte

FSU has quite the meteorology program. Took an intro course as a freshman & it further deepened my fascination with tropical weather systems.
Penn State has an online undergraduate certificate in forecasting and one of the 4 modules specifically related to tropical systems. Debated on taking it but I don’t have time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Penn State has an online undergraduate certificate in forecasting and one of the 4 modules specifically related to tropical systems. Debated on taking it but I don’t have time.
I want to say Colorado or Colorado State is the blue ribbon best of all the universities. Not quite where one would think the leading tropical forecasting college would be located.

That would be fun coursework to take.

NotworkSte

I want to say Colorado or Colorado State is the blue ribbon best of all the universities. Not quite where one would think the leading tropical forecasting college would be located.

Main weather stuff I do is more related to flying. Otherwise I’d love to do something more.

Carolina Red

Staff

It’s Colorado

#2 in the world behind Columbia Univ.

NotworkSte

They only resurfaced the runway a couple of years ago after that. It was so heavy when it slowed down it causing some ripples.

Lovely little airport though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They only resurfaced the runway a couple of years ago after that. It was so heavy when it slowed down it causing some ripples.

Lovely little airport though.
I used to dog sit for a couple of pups who lived on Davis Island. The little dog park on the southern end of the island was a great place to take them & be able to plane watch.

NotworkSte

I used to dog sit for a couple of pups who lived on Davis Island. The little dog park on the southern end of the island was a great place to take them & be able to plane watch.
It’s really nice there at that dog beach. I used take the my wee dog there before she started getting too old. The approach is fun too as you come over the yacht club and sometimes those masts are really high. Runway 36 was NOTAM’d closed once cause someone refused to move a large yacht. Tight pattern to avoid flying into Macdill airspace.
However Macdill tower are nice lads, always approving a low approach to us civilians over their runway. I used to help run the CAP squadron there so was on base all the time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s really nice there at that dog beach. I used take the my wee dog there before she started getting too old. The approach is fun too as you come over the yacht club and sometimes those masts are really high. Runway 36 was NOTAM’d closed once cause someone refused to move a large yacht. Tight pattern to avoid flying into Macdill airspace.
However Macdill tower are nice lads, always approving a low approach to us civilians over their runway. I used to help run the CAP squadron there so was on base all the time.
Yep, it was a little oasis with a beach for the pups at a time years ago there were some beaches in Pinellas County limiting dog access to them.

NotworkSte

95L is now tropical storm Lee. I don’t think I have ever seen national hurricane center make forecast of intensity so firmly before it has even organized. Lee will be a big one. Lot of east coast states need to keep an eye on this one.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
95L is now tropical storm Lee. I don’t think I have ever seen national hurricane center make forecast of intensity so firmly before it has even organized. Lee will be a big one. Lot of east coast states need to keep an eye on this one.
Damn, a major hurricane in two days. Forecasted currently to hit around the FL / GA line, it looks like. Seen handfuls of these early warning tropical systems on this path end up slamming the OBX or thereabouts.

TROPICAL STORM LEE (noaa.gov)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Lee is already a hurricane.

Hearing that its path will start jogging northward in the models in the coming days.

NotworkSte

Lee is already a hurricane.

Hearing that its path will start jogging northward in the models in the coming days.
Just like being stalked by a turtle. NHC has a fairly straight track wnw next few days. Will be interesting to see when the big swing is. Strengthening subtropical jet and some cold front activity may keep it off most of US east coast.

Starting glider training in a week. Can’t be doing with heavy winds.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Expeting it to turn up near us (Bermuda). Good times. Pretty active September already :(

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Expeting it to turn up near us (Bermuda). Good times. Pretty active September already :(
Not sure how you guys cope with this every year. I’m in Bermuda until Sat 16th and my anxiety is through the roof already.

Oooooh, look at us, we are in Bermuda :rolleyes:

Just need one more to make your own little Caf triangle.

Stay safe.