The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Great area, know it well.
My sister-in-law and husband evacuated from St Pete Beach this AM, they only got there FrM, they drove back to SC and brought thr weather with them, we got thunderstorms and torrential rain here!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My sister-in-law and husband evacuated from St Pete Beach this AM, they only got there FrM, they drove back to SC and brought thr weather with them, we got thunderstorms and torrential rain here!
Wise move in all fairness.

The Tampa Bay area hasn’t experienced the potential storm surge anticipated since 1950, long before the manmade islands that mainly consist STPB were built as we know them today.

There was a baby hurricane in the early 80s named Elena which had less storm surge than anticipated but caused a massive headache for those living on the Pinellas county beaches.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Wise move in all fairness.

The Tampa Bay area hasn’t experienced the potential storm surge anticipated since 1950, long before the manmade islands that mainly consist STPB were built as we know them today.

There was a baby hurricane in the early 80s named Elena which had less storm surge than anticipated but caused a massive headache for those living on the Pinellas county beaches.
It was mandatory to leave where they were, not surprising seeing as there's water on both sides and the whole thing is probably 75-80 yeards wide at most!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was mandatory to leave where they were, not surprising seeing as there's water on both sides and the whole thing is probably 75-80 yeards wide at most!
Unfortunately there will be plenty of people on the isles who will not view mandatory as something that needs to happen. That area of Florida has been lulled into such complacency as there have been zero direct or indirect hits by a hurricane in decades (indirectly meaning a storm on a path similar to this one, staying offshore but continually pushing water into the bays / barrier islands). The growth of communities on sea walls is primed for a disaster. It may not happen that bad with this hurricane, but it will eventually.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Damn, Valdosta has been issued a hurricane warning for the first time ever.

The eye (what’s left of it) is slated to pass just to the west of us tomorrow night. Haven’t potentially been this close to an eye since Andrew.

Carolina Red

Staff
Idalia looking to get stronger heading toward land. Could be a Cat 4 landfall. Perfect conditions to vent outflow & protect from vertical shear. Basically nothing to counteract all the warm moisture she’s pulling in going through the gulf.

NotworkSte

Lower anticipated storm surge in the Tampa Bay area with the most recent update. Good.
It isn’t too bad at all here right now. At least in terms of wind and rain. That ridge over Florida not breaking down kept it turning, but it’s going to be awful further north. Looking at the track and forecasted to be Hurricane all the way through Ga.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It isn’t too bad at all here right now. At least in terms of wind and rain. That ridge over Florida not breaking down kept it turning, but it’s going to be awful further north. Looking at the track and forecasted to be Hurricane all the way through Ga.
We are now in a hurricane warning in Savannah. Bizarre with the hurricane in the gulf & it having to traverse a hundred miles to get to us.

The Atlantic is warm & that's what will be supplying the moisture for the storm quickly after landfall.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Quite concerned about how our live oaks in Savannah will fare with hurricane force winds. There are thousands of oaks with branches overhanging power lines.

Will be quite surprised if we don’t have power outages locally.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Quite concerned about how our live oaks in Savannah will fare with hurricane force winds. There are thousands of oaks with branches overhanging power lines.

Will be quite surprised if we don’t have power outages locally.
Forget the power, some of those tree lined streets (Charleston also) are absolutely gorgeous. I know not all are live oaks, but still. Wishing the best for the people and trees!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Sorry but a random question - typically how accurate is the National Hurricane Center’s 7 day outlook? Not necessarily the direction and timing of current tropical depressions but rather the likelihood of one forming over the 7 day period? Thanks.

Hope all of southeastern Americans are ok!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sorry but a random question - typically how accurate is the National Hurricane Center’s 7 day outlook? Not necessarily the direction and timing of current tropical depressions but rather the likelihood of one forming over the 7 day period? Thanks.

They have a pretty good track record on if a tropical disturbance will become a named storm or not. I do think that they only forecast for intensification three or four days out though iirc.

NotworkSte

It’s pretty good, if a little conservative. They don’t take big swings in track and they tend to lag on intensification, but overall it’s pretty good. But 7 days out is very far for much accuracy. I really don’t pay a lot of attention to 7 days out at steering relies on local pressure systems.

The new models like HAFS is specifically designed to improve accuracy 7 days out.
Some good info here:
https://www.weather.gov/media/nws/IHC2023/Presentations/Mehra_HAFS.pdf

NotworkSte

Actually @calodo2003 reply is more accurate, 7 days out there is no guidance on path and intensification, actually none until a despression develops. Until then they are called invests.

RoadTrip

Thanks all for the responses. I am heading to Bermuda via NYC in the next couple weeks, and noticed all the flights there today were cancelled due to Franklin and so being the anxious muddafuqqa that I am has made me nervous.

Sorry to derail from the far more important hurricane and topic of discussion today. Once again hope all you southeasteners are OK!

NotworkSte

Thanks all for the responses. I am heading to Bermuda via NYC in the next couple weeks, and noticed all the flights there today were cancelled due to Franklin and so being the anxious muddafuqqa that I am has made me nervous.

Sorry to derail from the far more important hurricane and topic of discussion today. Once again hope all you southeasteners are OK!
Unless something pops and is 5 days out or less, I really wouldn't worry.
Interestingly, the Azores/Bermuda high is a persistent high pressure area that has more impacts on where hurricanes do go, greatly affecting whether hurricanes will turn north early or head in toward Gulf or up the US east coast.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Can’t tell where the bay ends & Bayshore Blvd. begins. Thankfully that area only had a minor surge, the real estate along that road is quite steep…

RoadTrip

Unless something pops and is 5 days out or less, I really wouldn't worry.
Interestingly, the Azores/Bermuda high is a persistent high pressure area that has more impacts on where hurricanes do go, greatly affecting whether hurricanes will turn north early or head in toward Gulf or up the US east coast.
interesing! Cheers for the responses

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Selfishly very glad this is taking an Eastward turn before it really gets to the Triangle. I've got to fly to Pittsburgh to be in a wedding Friday morning, and I really don't want to have to drive up there if flights got cancelled/delayed.