The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I worked in Miami Beach during Hurricane Andrew in 92, and decided to stay in the shop where I worked as the storm hit to avoid looting the next day. It was probably one of the scariest things I've ever been through. Seeing massive objects turn into projectiles that crashed into cars, glass shop windows, watching traffic lights get blown off their wires like they were twigs, watching the skies turn a surreal purple color the morning after, getting stuck on South Beach for a few ays because the causeways were all swamped etc. If Irma is even more powerful then I truly fear for the people in Dade, Broward, the Keys etc.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I have relatives down there. They have shutters n all, i dont know what that means or how that will protect them.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Harvey, Irma, who's starting the thread for Jose?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Feck, one of the storm chasers I saw on CNN was rightly worried about this. He said the water was way too warm and could easily mean that Irma could regain strength and speed before making landfall. I really feel for anyone who didn't/couldn't get out of the evacuation zone. This has the potential to make Harvey look just like a wet weekend.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm in the Upstate of SC. Yesterday we were dead center of the projected path, but the cone of uncertainty has moved a bit to the west of us.

The things I'm concerned most about in SC are...

1) my wife is scheduled to be charge nurse over her hospital's ICU on Monday night when this thing is hitting. I've gotta make sure she makes the 20 min drive there and back safe

2) is the governor going to cancel school? Because 30mph winds tip over busses... that said, going back to #1, if he doesn't cancel school, how can I make sure my wife makes it to work and back safely
Where are you tracking it? I know parts of NC are in the path but I don't know the exact time/expected damage.

I have urgent work next week, and even worse some of it depends on others turning up as well.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Going to be desperately hard for a little island to recover from something like this. Thankfully most folk seem to be safe, but many places on the British Virgin Islands are simply wiped out:

Luzhniki2008

Have you left Tampa?
Still here. Was planning on going to the northern part of the city to stay at somebody's house but with the latest update, I'm thinking of taking a flight to Atlanta tomorrow. I have a friend who lives there. Flight's expensive but there's no way I can make it there by car.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Still here. Was planning on going to the northern part of the city to stay at somebody's house but with the latest update, I'm thinking of taking a flight to Atlanta tomorrow. I have a friend who lives there. Flight's expensive but there's no way I can make it there by car.
Good luck. Be safe. I was in Florida for a 2 I think and it was amazing to see the power of it. 3 or 4 wouldn't be. 5 feck that.

Green_Red

you can buy travel insurance when you buy the ticket though.
A hurricane would obviously be a game changer. If he bought through an agent it may be a lot easier to get a refund.
Thats a real pain in the arse. Airlines are cnuts.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They have giant snakes to consider due to them being an invasive species that were originally introduced as pets but now are growing out of control in a favorable habitat.

Somewhat similar to the Asian Carp in the Mississippi River that they're trying to keep from the Great Lakes at gigantic cost.

spwd

They have giant snakes to consider due to them being an invasive species that were originally introduced as pets but now are growing out of control in a favorable habitat.

Somewhat similar to the Asian Carp in the Mississippi River that they're trying to keep from the Great Lakes at gigantic cost.
Ah right, is that the area that had the problem with snakeheads too?