The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
I have relatives down there. They have shutters n all, i dont know what that means or how that will protect them.
The problem is the flooding and the storm surge. You can shutter your windows to prevent damage but it doesn't change the fact that you'd be marooned inside your own home or worse yet, probably killed from the rapidly moving flood waters. I think people really don't understand how catastrophic hurricanes really are until they see the damage afterwards. I've seen people on TV (living in the Florida Keys) saying they're going to ride out the storm. I hope they enjoy their last meal because their probability of survival down there is close to zero for a storm of this size and strength.

spwd

Christ, I know England has shit weather all year round etc but at least we don't have to deal with that kinda thing:eek:, hope all caftards are safe and get through this the best they can.

ghagua

Was there during Sandy when it hit New Jersey a few years ago and that was barely a hurricane, but it was a terrifying experience and one of the longest nights of my life. Feel bad for people who are evacuating and what they will have to go back to, but will feel nothing for those people who are ignoring evacuation orders to stay behind, especially the Florida Keys if they perish. They are not only putting themselves at risk, but when the situation gets really bad, they will be calling emergency services to be rescued, which in turn puts the lives of emergency responders lives at risk.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
The problem is the flooding and the storm surge. You can shutter your windows to prevent damage but it doesn't change the fact that you'd be marooned inside your own home or worse yet, probably killed from the rapidly moving flood waters. I think people really don't understand how catastrophic hurricanes really are until they see the damage afterwards. I've seen people on TV (living in the Florida Keys) saying they're going to ride out the storm. I hope they enjoy their last meal because their probability of survival down there is close to zero for a storm of this size and strength.
What a welcome.

Are you still here? What about @Billy Blaggs ?
Yep, still here. The storm took a more westerly turn. Looks like it's going to run up the west coast.

Classical Mechanic

Heard a Floridian woman on the radio saying that she saw a knife fight break out at Walmart over the last bottle of water and another lady saying that she is staying put in her bunker and will use her inflatable kayak to escape if she gets stuck after.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The tracks are taking it west of Miami, so that might be good for Dade County.

But that also means it might be able to continue to gain energy from the waters off the west coast of Florida.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
My best man left Wednesday night, took him and his mum nine hours just to reach the border. Took as much as they could but there is a lot of things that will inevitably get destroyed, or pinched. Mental.

Fully Fledged

Still here. Was planning on going to the northern part of the city to stay at somebody's house but with the latest update, I'm thinking of taking a flight to Atlanta tomorrow. I have a friend who lives there. Flight's expensive but there's no way I can make it there by car.
If you can afford it get safe. This looks horrendous.

IWat

Honestly, people that are staying feck me off and I have very little sympathy for. I am sure there are some that are extremely poor, disabled etc where it's a struggle to get away and I can sympathise there. It's been known for sometime what this is going to be like, people should have seen what it does when it makes landfall in other places. Now poor sods in the emergency services are going to have to go and risk their lives in the aftermath even more than they would already have had to because some idiots want to protect their property or whatever other dumb logic they are going by. So selfish.

starman

According to some news outlets, lots of people trying to leave might not be able to get out before Irma hits.
Its ceases to amaze me why people leave stuff like to to the last minute to book plane tickets, specifically tourists. You also have to question Airlines and should be investigated after this. Some people are apparently being charged $10,000 for a one way ticket

Last edited:

IWat

Cuba seems to be taking a very hard hit here. On the plus side, it is now beginning to weaken quite quickly. I reckon it will hit Florida as a Cat 2.