The idea that Liverpool are struggling with injuries has been massively overblown.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yes, it is not normal at all to undergo such a number of defeats in a row, it is more like an F1 car blowing up its engine and parking aside in vapor smoke or a top horse making his jockey fall down to stop. Absolute peaks in the last couple of years, absolute bonkers this latest freefall. More and more similar to NFL or NBA’ boom & bust.

crossy1686

career ending
Good point too, especially this season. They were never gonna get away with running the team into the ground. I mean Pickford being Pickford fecked up VVD but a ton of their other injuries are muscular etc... I think they'll be more normal next season if they ride this one out but it seems to have a familiar feeling (not that I'm complaining). They have the potential to be great still. I wonder if Salah will stick around if they miss the CL, he seems the most likely to want out. I think the rest will stick.
When they start getting players back they’ll return to being a solid top 3 team but they’re going to lose players in the summer, and they probably need to, they’re stagnating at the moment.

They were unbelievably lucky in the previous 18 months before the first lockdown, and that’s not my opinion, that’s the stats that support that narrative. That form was never sustainable. Klopp was pretty much right when he said it was their mentality winning the games because the stats show they should never have picked up as many points as they did.

I think Salah is gone, Wjinaldum gone, Thiago is a permacrock, Firmino isn’t good enough, Henderson and Milner are looking pretty over the hill. They’ll be relying on VVD, Mane and Alisson to carry them next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When they start getting players back they’ll return to being a solid top 3 team but they’re going to lose players in the summer, and they probably need to, they’re stagnating at the moment.

They were unbelievably lucky in the previous 18 months before the first lockdown, and that’s not my opinion, that’s the stats that support that narrative. That form was never sustainable. Klopp was pretty much right when he said it was their mentality winning the games because the stats show they should never have picked up as many points as they did.

I think Salah is gone, Wjinaldum gone, Thiago is a permacrock, Firmino isn’t good enough, Henderson and Milner are looking pretty over the hill. They’ll be relying on VVD, Mane and Alisson to carry them next season.
It'll be very interesting with Salah.
Turns 29 in June, 2 years left on his deal, but who has the money to buy him?

Doesn't strike me as the smartest time to go big on him.

romufc

It'll be very interesting with Salah.
Turns 29 in June, 2 years left on his deal, but who has the money to buy him?

Doesn't strike me as the smartest time to go big on him.
Whoever spends big on his is a team that is not run correctly, there is plenty of them around.

Why would a club buy a 29 year old forward when there is others available who are younger in Sancho, Mbappe, Grealish ?

Liverpool will probably want in excess of £100m

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Whoever spends big on his is a team that is not run correctly, there is plenty of them around.

Why would a club buy a 29 year old forward when there is others available who are younger in Sancho, Mbappe, Grealish ?

They're certainly in for an awkward summer, as he and Mane will be agitating for either a big raise, or to be sold. And neither deserve this big raise after this season's drop off in form.

It's amazing how dominant teams drop, but they always do eventually. Let's just hope this is a proper drop off, not a bizarre covid, injury season anomaly.

Skåre Willoch

I agree. I think Liverpool can't get rid, unless Salah himself force their hand and they let him go for cheap.

romufc

They're certainly in for an awkward summer, as he and Mane will be agitating for either a big raise, or to be sold. And neither deserve this big raise after this season's drop off in form.

It's amazing how dominant teams drop, but they always do eventually. Let's just hope this is a proper drop off, not a bizarre covid, injury season anomaly.
I am hopeful that both get 5 year deals on 250k a week :lol: :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am hopeful that both get 5 year deals on 250k a week :lol: :lol:
I'm not sure if I'd prefer Salah being sold and they take a real hit on quality in their forward line, or keep him and leads to big issues/lower fee the year after.

I'd fear another Coutinho scenario where some idiot giant come in with a ludicrous fee, that they then fund the buying of two peak age top players, like VD and the keeper, although the latter has proven to be as capable of a huge mistake as anyone this season.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer Salah being sold and they take a real hit on quality in their forward line, or keep him and leads to big issues/lower fee the year after.

I'd fear another Coutinho scenario where some idiot giant come in with a ludicrous fee, that they then fund the buying of two peak age top players, like VD and the keeper, although the latter has proven to be as capable of a huge mistake as anyone this season.
valid fear usually, but not in this market. They won’t sell to another PL team, and everyone else is broke.

lysglimt

Scout
Liverpools problem can be summarized below:

In the last 3 seasons (almost 4) - if we remove their 3 main strikers - a total of 2 Liverpool-players have scored more than 5 goals in a season. Coutinho 7 in 17/18 and Shaqiri got 6 the season after. This season it has taken a turn for the worse with Liverpools midfielders and defenders grabbing 9 goals combined.

Liverpool are so dependant on their 3 main strikers, if they go through a rough time, Liverpool don't score:

Henderson 8 goals in 5 seasons
Fabinho 3 goals in 108 matches
Keita 4 goals in almost 3 seasons
Wijnaldum 10 goals in 4 seasons
Thiago has never been a goalscorer - and averaged 2.5 goals pr season in the Bundesliga
Curtis Jones got 1 goal this season
Oxlade-Chamberlain 7 goals in 4 seasons (although he has only played 72 matches)

So on average - their midfielders on average score less than 10 goals pr season. Pogba and McTominay alone is almost at the same amount, and I have never thought of them as goal machines.

Skåre Willoch

Liverpools problem can be summarized below:

In the last 3 seasons (almost 4) - if we remove their 3 main strikers - a total of 2 Liverpool-players have scored more than 5 goals in a season. Coutinho 7 in 17/18 and Shaqiri got 6 the season after. This season it has taken a turn for the worse with Liverpools midfielders and defenders grabbing 9 goals combined.

Liverpool are so dependant on their 3 main strikers, if they go through a rough time, Liverpool don't score:

Henderson 8 goals in 5 seasons
Fabinho 3 goals in 108 matches
Keita 4 goals in almost 3 seasons
Wijnaldum 10 goals in 4 seasons
Thiago has never been a goalscorer - and averaged 2.5 goals pr season in the Bundesliga
Curtis Jones got 1 goal this season
Oxlade-Chamberlain 7 goals in 4 seasons (although he has only played 72 matches)

So on average - their midfielders on average score less than 10 goals pr season. Pogba and McTominay alone is almost at the same amount, and I have never thought of them as goal machines.
I actually forgot he's still on their books. What's gone wrong there? Injuries?
Wasn't he supposed to be a brilliant, creative cm/box-to-box type of guy?

romufc

Yep, I would rather them not make money on any of them and have to deal with the players in their squad with high wages.

Yeah, I really hope no club comes and offers them that sort of money.

Their director is really good selling players like Brewster for 20m and all

padr81

Supports
Man City

They definately had their share of luck and I agree their mentality carried them above their actual level as players (particularly that midfield). I think Salah might go there have been rumblings of discontent, Wijni is pretty much a cert to go to Barca is Koeman keeps his job. I think there is a player in Thiago still but either Klopp or he will have to change, atm when he plays he is miles off in the press, hence why he's always giving away fouls. They certainly have a midfield problem especially if Klopp sees Fabinho at CB long term. I'd agree on Firmino too, he works his bollix off, good dribbler but much like Jesus at City, its hitting the onion bag that counts and he doesn't do it often enough.

They still have more quality than 17 team in the league but if they lose Salah and Wijnaldum, I'd say Chelsea will be on a par with them and they are behind both Manchester clubs in terms of squad quality if not first XI quality.

lysglimt

Scout
:nervous:
We kinda did.
Yeah but mainly because we stopped scoring goals - defensively we were fairly solid apart from 3 games. but we scored 3 goals or more just once in the last 14 games and Saha and Nistelrooy combined scored just 6 goals in the last 14 matches.
So fairly similar to Liverpool - just not as bad, we at least won 5 out of the last 13 :)

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

I'm not expecting many clubs to be spending big this Summer, gate receipts will have impacted all clubs finances. I don't think there are very many clubs in the position to pay 100 mil for Salah unless they felt he would be the player to give them the Champions League Cup. Even then it would be pretty risky.
Liverpool will not be cashing him in for massive money in my opinion.