The Impossible Burger

Raoul

Admin
Staff
New burger apparently looks and tastes like beef...all the way down to the redness and bleeding.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I refer you to my original question
I don't know how to answer that in terms of the appeal of eating meat. I suppose meatless products may gain a lot of attention due to the broader debate about obesity and the like.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
All the best flavour comes from the murdering though, that's why I still prefer beef.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A non-murdered one or a proper one?
I had someone else murder it for me so I wouldn’t have to deal with the guilt, all the while pretending it was ok...so I could get my daily dose of salt and fat. The joys of eating carcass.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Was pretty excited until I watched the NY Times video...they were all mildly impressed at best!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I had someone else murder it for me so I wouldn’t have to deal with the guilt, all the while pretending it was ok...so I could get my daily dose of salt and fat. The joys of eating carcass.
Thats a shame, you're missing out on half the fun.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What's the point? If anyone is a vegetarian they'll be the last to go for a burger that resembles meat.
I'd imagine more vegetarians will gravitate towards this sort of thing. There's a feckload of VC money pouring into faux meat development and I'm sure it will only keep gaining momentum in the future, especially as people start learning about the environmental impact of raising cows, the health benefits of avoiding high saturated fat foods, and the morality of slaughtering animals when there are other options.

Ibi Dreams

What's the point? If anyone is a vegetarian they'll be the last to go for a burger that resembles meat.
Not really, there are plenty of vegetarians that enjoyed eating meat but don't do it for ethical reasons. For them, something that looks, smells and tastes like meat but isn't is ideal.

Don't Kill Bill

I set bait traps last month for some ants which were foraging in my home, killed the whole colony, thousands of ants murdered just to keep them out.

I ate a steak and ale pie on Monday, chicken on Tuesday and fish yesterday.

Can't imagine how many creatures I kill driving to work each day or flying away on holiday.

I'm a mass sometimes even genocidal murderer of creatures great and small and I guess every human on the planet is if they are honest.

If the meatless burger tastes good and is cheap enough I'd give it a go for the health benefits but if I live longer I'm going to kill even more creatures during my lifetime not least through global warming on an even more over populated world.

Probably the bit about not pumping your arteries full of saturated fat after murdering an animal.
Instead you pump them full of whatever miscellaneous processed goodies they use to get it to look and taste like meat. I had one of those Beyond Meat burgers the other day, the ingredients list is like an essay.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Instead you pump them full of whatever miscellaneous processed goodies they use to get it to look and taste like meat. I had one of those Beyond Meat burgers the other day, the ingredients list is like an essay.
I don't think this is the same thing in terms of the usual meatless products.

NinjaFletch

The environmental impact of rearing animals to eat is my biggest attraction to Veganism.

Some Vegans (most probably) are weirdly anti GM, but lab grown meat is probably one of the most effective ways we can tackle it. If everybody ate a vegetarian diet we'd reduce global emissions by around 8%.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Would be perfect if it didn't emerge that they tested their Soy additive on animals.

On to the next one.

By the by, any London vegans try out Temple in Hackney or Club Mexicana yet ? Going down there in November and looking for recommendations/reviews.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't know how to answer that in terms of the appeal of eating meat. I suppose meatless products may gain a lot of attention due to the broader debate about obesity and the like.
Isn't it more about what's healthy for the planet, rather than what's healthy for the individual?

There's loads of pseudo-science and nonsense talked about the alleged health benefits of cutting meat out from your diet but more or less complete consensus that if the rest of the world eats as much beef as Europe/US then we're going to completely destroy the planet.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Would be perfect if it didn't emerge that they tested their Soy additive on animals.

On to the next one.

By the by, any London vegans try out Temple in Hackney or Club Mexicana yet ? Going down there in November and looking for recommendations/reviews.
Such an idiotic move :lol:
I read it was unnecessary too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Isn't it more about what's healthy for the planet, rather than what's healthy for the individual?

There's loads of pseudo-science and nonsense talked about the alleged health benefits of cutting meat out from your diet but more or less complete consensus that if the rest of the world eats as much beef as Europe/US then we're going to completely destroy the planet.
It falls within the usual Vegan talking points of - Planet, Human, and compassion towards animals. A person can gravitate towards this sort of thing for any one of the three.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The environmental impact of rearing animals to eat is my biggest attraction to Veganism.

Some Vegans (most probably) are weirdly anti GM, but lab grown meat is probably one of the most effective ways we can tackle it. If everybody ate a vegetarian diet we'd reduce global emissions by around 8%.
Vegan and Vegetarian are two different lifestyles. I'm a vegetarian, but I doubt I'll survive vegan.

Yeah, there was a study before which states gives some analysis on how many people you can feed in 1 acre of land. From 100s by growing rice/wheat to single digits when it comes to cows, we'd simply run out of space before we cater to increasing demand for meat. However i think turning vegetarian is a better option than going for fake meat. You'd know it just not the same thing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Vegan and Vegetarian are two different lifestyles. I'm a vegetarian, but I doubt I'll survive vegan.

Yeah, there was a study before which states gives some analysis on how many people you can feed in 1 acre of land. From 100s by growing rice/wheat to single digits when it comes to cows, we'd simply run out of space before we cater to increasing demand for meat. However i think turning vegetarian is a better option than going for fake meat. You'd know it just not the same thing.
What are the vegan bits you'd have trouble with ? Giving up eggs and dairy ?

NinjaFletch

Yeah, sorry, I know. I condensed a longer point down to a single sentence and left a bit of a mess of a post. My bad.

What I was going to say is that eating a vegetarian diet is good from this perspective (I believe a study said we'd cut food based emissions by about 60% we everyone did that). If everyone ate Vegan it would be even better (about 70% I think), but it is a more marginal gain. So although it's optimal for everyone to go Vegan, a good start would be an uptake in vegetarianism.

I did Veganuary this year, and I'm currently trying a 'Buy Vegan' sort of lifestyle. So I'll eat dairy and meat stuff if others are catering for me, but won't buy it myself. I honestly find it pretty easy (and I did too when I was doing Veganuary). I'm really impressed with the violife fake cheese and the milk alternatives are all pretty good, and that's coming from a background as a meat eater with no intermediate step.

Last edited: