The Impossible Draft

Indnyc

Maybe get the next draft thread up? At least the prices or something so we can research

Enigma_87

You know who

seriously though, thats almost a month for us junkies.....
:lol:

Yeah lads speed this up.
I lost a weekend game with Dzajic-Maradona-Garrincha in attack due to lack of voters, so am not doing a weekend since then :lol:

I can do Wednesday/Thursday next week. Maybe Tuesday as well in the interest of time.
Have a flight on Monday and Friday, so can't do those days.
yeah, sorry lads, can do from Friday evening on, but probably it's best to have it on Monday 30th. I'll see how things are going if I can conjure something up for Wed/Thursday, but those days along with Tuesday are really tough for me next week. :(

Enigma_87

You know who
Nicely done! I thought you might have to sacrifice Santamaria, but I suspected you might go with Godin and Facchetti.
Thanks mate. Godin has won the Copa, so I couldn't bring him in without losing Varela or Batistuta.

There was options to obviously keep Santamaria and drop Varela to bring in Nestor or Netto, whilst getting in someone like Brehme, but to me Marzolini is really the best option to also face off with Matthews and also be a balanced full back to provide in the attacking phase.

Sacrificing Santamaria I'd be losing quality at CB but with Sammer in there think it's an actual upgrade considering the solid midfield base of Edwards and Varela who would provide the stage for him to surge forward when we're on the ball.

You guessed right on Facchetti as he was always on my radar, but the upgrade from Marzolini to Facchetti wouldn't be worth it to lose quality at CB IMO :)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Thanks mate. Godin has won the Copa, so I couldn't bring him in without losing Varela or Batistuta.

There was options to obviously keep Santamaria and drop Varela to bring in Nestor or Netto, whilst getting in someone like Brehme, but to me Marzolini is really the best option to also face off with Matthews and also be a balanced full back to provide in the attacking phase.

Sacrificing Santamaria I'd be losing quality at CB but with Sammer in there think it's an actual upgrade considering the solid midfield base of Edwards and Varela who would provide the stage for him to surge forward when we're on the ball.

You guessed right on Facchetti as he was always on my radar, but the upgrade from Marzolini to Facchetti wouldn't be worth it to lose quality at CB IMO :)
Ah I'd missed Varela as a Copa winner. Definitely not worth breaking up that Varela/Edwards axis, and with a top tier pure winger like Matthews as a direct opponent a defensive full back like Marzolini is a fine choice anyway.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Enigma: (1) Zico (2) Batistuta (3) Nedvěd (4) D. Santos (5) A. Shesternyov (6) J. Santamaria (7) Rummenigge (OUT) D. Mackay (9) Benarrivo (OUT) Pluskal (11) P. Jennings (OUT) A. Sanchez (13) O. Varela (14) I. Netto (15) D. Edwards (16) F. Planicka

Idmanager: (1) F. Gento (2) S. Matthews (3) M. Trésor (4) K.H. Forster (5) E. Davids (OUT) T. Cubillas (7) B. Zebec (OUT) V. R. Andrade (9) A. Spencer (OUT) Gerson (OUT) L. Conejo (OUT) J. Smistik (13) D. Bergkamp (14) L. Monti (15) C. Alberto (16) J.L. Chilavert

@Enigma_87 @idmanager congrats on reaching the finals.

Enigma can pick whenever he's ready. 2 players for final reinforcement.

Indnyc

Enigma: (1) Zico (2) Batistuta (3) Nedvěd (4) D. Santos (5) A. Shesternyov (6) J. Santamaria (7) Rummenigge (OUT) D. Mackay (9) Benarrivo (OUT) Pluskal (11) P. Jennings (OUT) A. Sanchez (13) O. Varela (14) I. Netto (15) D. Edwards (16) F. Planicka

Idmanager: (1) F. Gento (2) S. Matthews (3) M. Trésor (4) K.H. Forster (5) E. Davids (OUT) T. Cubillas (7) B. Zebec (OUT) V. R. Andrade (9) A. Spencer (OUT) Gerson (OUT) L. Conejo (OUT) J. Smistik (13) D. Bergkamp (14) L. Monti (15) C. Alberto (16) J.L. Chilavert

@Enigma_87 @idmanager congrats on reaching the finals.

Enigma can pick whenever he's ready. 2 players for final reinforcement.
They already picked

Annahnomoss

Fine work Joga. His vision, weight of pass and touch really stand out.
His composure was also pretty surreal, one of the more comfortable player in those hectic scenarios with absolutely no space. He had a bit more of a dynamo to him in 1948~ which is seen with his 18 goals in 1949-50 for Milan where he and Gren would bombard all the way in to the box. Similar transformation as our Scholesy but his pre 30 years were without a doubt his star years. However 1957-58 was an incredible season for him as well with a lot of goals a European Cup and a World Cup final. They fought Di Stefanos Madrid to extra time in the final as well so it wasn´t a matter of them bbeing trashed or anything either. In his earlier years Gren was more of a support player for him and in 1958 Liedholm was doing that for Schiaffino.

idmanager

Never understood why Santamaria is rated so highly based on highlights of Madrid games of that era I had watched. Always felt was overrated and lucky to be in a great team. Will check the video out when am not on phone.

Enigma_87

You know who
Top stuff there mate. Thanks for that!

Never understood why Santamaria is rated so highly based on highlights of Madrid games of that era I had watched. Always felt was overrated and lucky to be in a great team. Will check the video out when am not on phone.
You have to take into consideration the era and how Real played at the time. Santamaria was the pillar at the back and gave them solidity to fulfill the premise of their stellar attack. They played only 3 at the back and his positioning was top class sniffing danger before it happened. Didn't rush into tackle, usually waited for the forward to make his first move, but even from the video Joga posted, you can easily see how well he positions himself and how well he reads the game.

That Real team had a great attack but players like Santamaria stitched it all together, apart from his defensive attributes he was a true leader at the back and organizer of that defence.

When you consider all that and put it together, along with his great trophy cabinet it's a true mark of a great defender.

idmanager

You have to take into consideration the era and how Real played at the time. Santamaria was the pillar at the back and gave them solidity to fulfill the premise of their stellar attack. They played only 3 at the back and his positioning was top class sniffing danger before it happened. Didn't rush into tackle, usually waited for the forward to make his first move, but even from the video Joga posted, you can easily see how well he positions himself and how well he reads the game.

That Real team had a great attack but players like Santamaria stitched it all together, apart from his defensive attributes he was a true leader at the back and organizer of that defence.

When you consider all that and put it together, along with his great trophy cabinet it's a true mark of a great defender.
I do consider him a really good defender. I just feel he is really overrated.

And the didn't rush into tackles part is incorrect IMO. That would be the biggest criticism I could give him based on what I have watched.
Watch the 1960 European Cup final for example which Real won 7-3 against Frankfurt.
2 of the 3 goals conceded by Real were as a result of Santamaria over committing himself in tackles, not winning them and leaving gaps in defense leading to goals. For the 3rd goal, he was ball watching in the box. Maybe I am being overly critical, but that looked far from an all time great player's performance in a big game.

I was not particularly impressed with his organization skills as well. In the games I watched, the Real defense looked all over the place many times.

I wouldn't put him anywhere near the GOAT's though as he so often is.

Last edited:

idmanager

I can do Friday mate, but I think ID mentioned he can't do it then.

I'm available from Friday afternoon on, so whatever suits ID best next. Think Monday was the first non weekend day we can play on.
Alright, lets do Friday. I will join the discussion a bit late. Will try to send in my write up today.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I do consider him a really good defender. I just feel he is really overrated.

And the didn't rush into tackles part is incorrect IMO. That would be the biggest criticism I could give him based on what I have watched.
Watch the 1960 European Cup final for example which Real won 7-3 against Frankfurt.
2 of the 3 goals conceded by Real were as a result of Santamaria over commuting himself in tackles, not winning them and leaving gaps in defense leading to goals. For the 3rd goal, he was ball watching in the box. Maybe I am being overly critical, but that looked far from a all time great player's performance in a big game.

I was not particularly impressed with his organization skills as well. In the games I watched, the Real defense looked all over the place many times.

I wouldn't put him anywhere near the GOAT's though as he so often is.
Happy to defer to people who have watched him more than I have done, but looking at the 1954 tournament, he's at fault for a lot of goals Uruguay concede. Definitely think his reputation has been elevated based on what he did as part of that great Real team, perhaps like an early-day equivalent Ramos or Pique - i.e. someone who was still influential, was their team's best defender, contributed well to the style of play, but was too error-prone to really stand comparison with the finest of all time.

idmanager

Happy to defer to people who have watched him more than I have done, but looking at the 1954 tournament, he's at fault for a lot of goals Uruguay concede. Definitely think his reputation has been elevated based on what he did as part of that great Real team, perhaps like an early-day equivalent Ramos or Pique - i.e. someone who was still influential, was their team's best defender, contributed well to the style of play, but was too error-prone to really stand comparison with the finest of all time.
Was thinking exactly the same.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
2 of the 3 goals conceded by Real were as a result of Santamaria over committing himself in tackles,
The first goal was 2.05 in the video above and I don't think he over committed but just following his man (with Real employing man-marking tactics) and Franfurt's CF was a real pain in the ass with his movement and kept dropping deep and onto the flanks - the whole Hidegkuti conundrum again. He did manage to win the first ball with the duel against the centre-forward, but lost out in the 50-50 with the oncoming midfielder, and I'd say Real's midfield and a defender in particular was guilty of ball-watching. The third is more of the same (5.25 in the video), he came off 2nd best in a tackle outside the box and Real's defense and midfield had plenty of time to recover but after a slew of comedic tackles and errors, they concede the goal. Ultimately, I thought he had a really good game but there's only so much a defender can do in what was a pretty poor defense overall and half-back line, with the exception of del Sol obviously.

Ultimately I'd say he doesn't belong in the vaunted echelon of Baresi, Scirea or let alone alongside SA greats Figueroa and Passarella, but he very much belongs to the tier beneath them imo.

idmanager

The first goal was 2.05 in the video above and I don't think he over committed but just following his man (with Real employing man-marking tactics) and Franfurt's CF was a real pain in the ass with his movement and kept dropping deep and onto the flanks - the whole Hidegkuti conundrum again. He did manage to win the first ball with the duel against the centre-forward, but lost out in the 50-50 with the oncoming midfielder, and I'd say Real's midfield and a defender in particular was guilty of ball-watching. The third is more of the same (5.25 in the video), he came off 2nd best in a tackle outside the box and Real's defense and midfield had plenty of time to recover but after a slew of comedic tackles and errors, they concede the goal. Ultimately, I thought he had a really good game but there's only so much a defender can do in what was a pretty poor defense overall and half-back line, with the exception of del Sol obviously.

Ultimately I'd say he doesn't belong in the vaunted echelon of Baresi, Scirea or let alone alongside SA greats Figueroa and Passarella, but he very much belongs to the tier beneath them imo.
FYI, your video is long blocked. But I did have the game handy. I understand your point in general, but I still didn't see him standout and not be error free himself.

Maybe I would put him a tier below the tier you have put him. For me, he doesnt surely belong to the Baresi tier, unfair to put him in the Nesta/Cannavaro tier. Probably the third tier.

Why I bought up this point in general is because he is rated among the top 10 of all time in almost any list of CBs you could pick online which is no where near where I rate him.

Last edited:

idmanager

Cheers. Nearly done with mine as well will confirm in couple of hours.
@Enigma_87 @Edgar Allan Pillow

This is turning out to be a really late kick off than I expected and I don't think I would be able to join much today.
Although I don't want to delay the start of the next draft, I would probably be more free to join on Monday.
If not Monday, please go ahead with the game today.

Enigma_87

You know who

This is turning out to be a really late kick off than I expected and I don't think I would be able to join much today.
Although I don't want to delay the start of the next draft, I would probably be more free to join on Monday.
Just submitted, but up to you mate and @Edgar Allan Pillow

Whatever you decide goes I’m ok with pretty much any time now.

Apologies for the delay I was in Greece for the last couple of days with little to no reception.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Starting in few minutes. Hope it is OK.