The Johnson Premiership

MoskvaRed

I get the impression Johnson is generally feckless and lazy. So who is going to drive this government?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Tory think tanks wanking at the thought of what they will do with such a majority.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
NHS privatization incoming?
Already happening and no they don't want to make it all private where we pay each month. They want to keep it government funded and to take as many private contracts out of it. That's where the real money is.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If people ever realise that the “benefits” of Brexit are about as real as unicorns, then they may turn on him but he’ll have done enough damage to last a generation. I fear for the future of the NHS & any deal with the US will most likely be in favour of them.

The one thing I’ll be interested in seeing is (Brexit aside) if he continues to pander to the right/ERG now he has a large majority.

Classical Mechanic

I get the impression Johnson is generally feckless and lazy. So who is going to drive this government?
There's plenty of management theory that states that lazy intelligent people make the best leaders because they surround themselves with the best people and see the quickest and most effective route through things.

If you look at Boris's electoral record and life there's plenty to suggest that he's very adept at getting what he wants without putting himself out.

Tarrou

how the feck did we get to this point?

surely Corbyn has to resign now, we need a strong opposition otherwise these cnuts will destroy everything

Adisa

If people ever realise that the “benefits” of Brexit are about as real as unicorns, then they may turn on him but he’ll have done enough damage to last a generation. I fear for the future of the NHS & any deal with the US will most likely be in favour of them.

The one thing I’ll be interested in seeing is (Brexit aside) if he continues to pander to the right/ERG now he has a large majority.
You kid yourself. We are here because Tories couldn't agree on a Brexit policy. Yet Labour carried the can.
We are a right wing country and in true fashion, people are more than willing to accept right wing excuses.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Reaching for a silver lining here...

Maybe the fact that Johnson is such a journeyman politician with no real political goals besides power and acclaim might result in him actually moving the tories centrally towards a more socially responsible economic policy in recognition of how this will make him a more popular leader.

Maybe.

Kaos

Maybe the fact that Johnson is such a journeyman politician with no real political goals besides power and acclaim might result in him actually moving the tories centrally towards a more socially responsible economic policy in recognition of how this will make him a more popular leader.

Maybe.
Ahh the famous ‘pivot’ argument.

The man is a sociopathic charlatan, he’s likely to be as adherent to the principles of social responsibility as he is to his own kids.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Ahh the famous ‘pivot’ argument.

The man is a sociopathic charlatan, he’s likely to be as adherent to the principles of social responsibility as he is to his own kids.
I don't expect him to adhere to it per se. He might consider social responsibility to be the most politically expedient position.

His policy was whatever got him into downing street and now that he's there I expect he will happily be disloyal to traditional Rory policy if it helps him remain in downing street. His loyalty being only to himself and his willingness to change positions without regard for fallout might just conspire to be for the betterment of the country than an ideological tory like Cameron.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think we are probably on a path to the break-up of the UK.

Hoping that Labour get a proper leader in place. Once Brexit is 'done' and people realise how shit it can really get, there is a decent chance that the Tories will feck everything up so badly people will be screaming to get Labour back into power.

Fairly good result for the country as a whole.

Pros:
- The country will finally be able to move in a direction again after nearly 10 years of limp coalitions.
- The end of Corbyn, McDonnell and hopefully the end of the extreme left elements running things in Labour.
- with such a large majority Boris will be able to move away from the far right elements in his own party.

Cons:
- Brexit is a certainty now.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Fairly good result for the country as a whole.

Pros:
- The country will finally be able to move in a direction again after nearly 10 years of limp coalitions.
- The end of Corbyn, McDonnell and hopefully the end of the extreme left elements running things in Labour.
- with such a large majority Boris will be able to move away from the far right elements in his own party.

Cons:
- Brexit is a certainty now.
All positive for me, especially as I think Gove and Cummings will be driving the legislative agenda.

Adisa

Maybe.
:lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Maybe.
This is literally the one thing I am holding on to.

That and the fact that when the Tories are in power for too long, they tend to drop the facade of niceness and the real nasty elements come back out again. Think we're already starting to see that with the likes of Patel, Javid, Leadsom etc.

We'll see where we're at in 5 years time.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Was tempted to post this yesterday but I don’t want to give her the attention she craves. A vile, nasty individual. That people such as her and Tommy Robinson feel at home in the current iteration of the Conservative Party should be a worry for more moderate conservatives.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Already happening and no they don't want to make it all private where we pay each month. They want to keep it government funded and to take as many private contracts out of it. That's where the real money is.
Ah I’ve seen they’ve learned well from the US Department of Defense.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Whichever way you look at it, one thing for sure is that there are now no excuses. Johnson has a huge majority, he can basically implement whatever agenda and policies he wants. If, in five years time, the country is [still] a mess then there is really absolutely nobody that can be blamed apart from the Tories and Johnson. Whether they change their tack to try to hold on to some of their new northern seats, and how they deal with Scotland, will be key issues I think, otherwise next election could see a massive reversal of fortunes between them and Labour (assuming the latter appoint a popular, electable leader).

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Whichever way you look at it, one thing for sure is that there are now no excuses. Johnson has a huge majority, he can basically implement whatever agenda and policies he wants. If, in five years time, the country is [still] a mess then there is really absolutely nobody that can be blamed apart from the Tories and Johnson. Whether they change their tack to try to hold on to some of their new northern seats, and how they deal with Scotland, will be key issues I think, otherwise next election could see a massive reversal of fortunes between them and Labour (assuming the latter appoint a popular, electable leader).
It's the hope that kills you.

Classical Mechanic

It's like when Trump got in and you heard 'he'll pivot'. It's going to be bad.
I think there‘s more chance of it happening than with Trump. Not a ‘pivot’ as such but him not going balls to the wall with the hard right policies. There are similarities to Trump but also numerous big differences. He’s an internationalist with mixed heritage himself, he has mixed race children and speaks a few languages. He’s much more educated and cultured than Trump. He also always lent towards the more liberal side of the Tory party but there was no way that the ‘One Nation’ brigade like Cameron and Osbourne were ever going to let him lead the party so he took a different path to fulfil his ambition.

I think at the end of the day he’s an arch pragmatist, devoid of ideology beyond his own advancement. He’ll follow the mood music whatever that may be. People talk about the ERG having undue influence but there’s now the Midland and Northern working class constituencies in the party so there will be pressure from them to counterbalance.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think there‘s more chance of it happening than with Trump. Not a ‘pivot’ as such but him not going balls to the wall with the hard right policies. There are similarities to Trump but also numerous big differences. He’s an internationalist with mixed heritage himself, he has mixed race children and speaks a few languages. He’s much more educated and cultured than Trump. He also always lent towards the more liberal side of the Tory party but there was no way that the ‘One Nation’ brigade like Cameron and Osbourne were ever going to let him lead the party so he took a different path to fulfil his ambition.

I think at the end of the day he’s an arch pragmatist, devoid of ideology beyond his own advancement. He’ll follow the mood music whatever that may be. People talk about the ERG having undue influence but there’s now the Midland and Northern working class constituencies in the party so there will be pressure from them to counterbalance.
Seems that way to me. He wasn't particularly right wing as London mayor, although he didn't seem to do a right lot either. One poster here described him as Thatcherist, which is ludicrous. We'll know more when he announces the cabinet, if Mogg is Chancellor I'll admit being totally wrong and we can start fearing the worst!

Seems that way to me. He wasn't particularly right wing as London mayor, although he didn't seem to do a right lot either. One poster here described him as Thatcherist, which is ludicrous. We'll know more when he announces the cabinet, if Mogg is Chancellor I'll admit being totally wrong and we can start fearing the worst!
the fact a Tory got elected twice as Mayor in an almost completely labour city shows that he’s not as right wing as some would suggest.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What does he do when Brexit is actually horrendous for the country?

what is the plan then?
Blame Labour, obviously.
I’m interested to know just for how long they will continue to blame labour for the finances of this country.