The Kane penalty shout

Dominos

I think the ref viewed that Kane kicked through the defender's leg to win it in the first place.

On those replays, it looks like he wins it pretty cleanly to me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s a pen 100%.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I believe he was deemed to have fouled the defender before that. In which case it doesn't matter if he then got fouled.

Dante

Average bang
The Danish defender was already on the way down before Kane got anywhere near.

Paul_Scholes18

Clear pen and Sterlings is not a pen. It is obvious the ref did bottle it. Did not give the first one and then wanted to give a cheaper one to make it even.

VAR is a joke with the instructions that they shall support the ref as much as they can.

Bosws87

Nailed on penalty just doesn't fit the narrative for some people, can openly admit the sterling one was way too soft.

arnie_ni

There was a fk against kane before that so its irrelevant. At least that's what they gave anyway

Trequarista10

It's good that England have got all our bad luck out of the way before the final. We're certainly due a soft pen or two against Italy given the shocking decisions we've received in this tournament so far. Lol

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
They didn't show a lot of replays but I thought Kane had actually fouled Yussuf Poulsen before that situation.

Halftrack

Hadn't noticed that the Dane steps on his foot. Definitely a penalty, if Kane himself hadn't fouled Poulsen in the lead-up to it. Denmark were rightly given the free kick, if I'm not mistaken.

Bosws87

Hadn't noticed that the Dane steps on his foot. Definitely a penalty, if Kane himself hadn't fouled Poulsen in the lead-up to it. Denmark were rightly given the free kick, if I'm not mistaken.
Makes sense as its a shocking decision otherwise, the games all a bit of a blur from the booze so i thought i must be missing something.

Dante

Average bang
The resulting Denmark freekick was taken from the edge of the box, not from where Kane supposedly fouled Poulsen. The ref blew for the imaginary infringement that happened in the above clip.

RedDevil@84

Why wasn't this given? England should have won in the 90 minutes.
Kane and defender go for it. Defender kicks the ball away, then Kane hits the back of defender's leg, who starts falling at this point and lands on Kane's feet who falls down into a pinwheel dive.
Not a penalty. Correct decision.

Maagge

The resulting Denmark freekick was taken from the edge of the box, not from where Kane supposedly fouled Poulsen. The ref blew for the imaginary infringement that happened in the above clip.
But no one's going to complain about where the free kick is taken from in this situation unless it's taken very quickly, so I'm not sure this works as an argument for why it was definitely the Nørgaard incident.
Do you have a longer clip where Poulsen is involved as well?

Halftrack

The resulting Denmark freekick was taken from the edge of the box, not from where Kane supposedly fouled Poulsen. The ref blew for the infringement that supposedly happened in the above clip.
Supposedly? There's nothing supposed about it, it's in the video you yourself posted; Kane kicks the back of Poulsen's leg while trying to get the ball.

One has to assume that the VAR booth looked at it and went "well, they should have had a free kick anyway, so fair's fair I guess."
Kane and defender go for it. Defender kicks the ball away, then Kane hits the back of defender's leg, who starts falling at this point and lands on Kane's feet who falls down into a pinwheel dive.
Not a penalty. Correct decision.
It's Kane who gets the ball first, and the Nørgaard's lands with his studs on Kane's foot. It's a pretty sound penalty shout.

Dante

Average bang
But no one's going to complain about where the free kick is taken from in this situation unless it's taken very quickly, so I'm not sure this works as an argument for why it was definitely the Nørgaard incident.
Do you have a longer clip where Poulsen is involved as well?
But that's a posteriori reasoning. If the Nørgaard incident wasn't what the foul was given for, it's irrelevant.

Dante

Average bang
Supposedly? There's nothing supposed about it, it's in the video you yourself posted; Kane kicks the back of Poulsen's leg while trying to get the ball.

One has to assume that the VAR booth looked at it and went "well, they should have had a free kick anyway, so fair's fair I guess."

It's Kane who gets the ball first, and the Nørgaard's lands with his studs on Kane's foot. It's a pretty sound penalty shout.
The defender doesn't win the ball, he touches the ball. Kane could have still got on the end of it, but for Poulsen chopping the back of his legs.

Maagge

The defender doesn't win the ball, he touches the ball. Kane could have still got on the end of it, but for Poulsen chopping the back of his legs.
I think there's some confusion here. Nørgaard is the player who is involved in the penalty shout. Poulsen was, as far as I remember, fouled by Kane just before what happened in the video.

EDIT: The video is longer than I first thought.
EDIT 2: As far as I can see, although it's somewhat difficult to see, Kane steps on Poulsen's foot after the former pokes it away. Then the penalty incident happens.

Halftrack

Eh? Poulsen passes the ball, and Kane kicks the back of his leg trying to get to it. The ball continues, Nørgaard and Kane both try to get to it, Kane gets a touch in first while Nørgaard lands on Kane's foot. The first incident should have been a free kick to Denmark, the second a penalty to England.

The ref blew for a free kick to Denmark on the second incident, probably not catching what happened in real time (looking at it in real time, it could just as easily have been Nørgaard getting to it first before Kane ran into him, which is what I thought it looked like during the game.) The VAR check either didn't consider it a clear and obvious error, or recognised the Danish free kick right beforehand and believed that, regardless of the wrong call being made on the penalty incident, the outcome was a fair one.

NoneBmStore

So no controversy here you cnuts. Correct decision.
Go back to attacking families, spitting at children and booing anthems.

Oranges038

The Danish defender was already on the way down before Kane got anywhere near.
Sterling was on his way down before any defender touched him.

This is a 50/50, there is a foul by Kane before this anyway. The reason I think the referee doesn't give it is because he moves across in front of him and Kane kicks through the back of the player, it's probably given as a freekick against him anywhere else on the pitch.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's definitely true that if VAR thought Kane had committed a foul on Poulsen first then they wouldn't be concerned with anything that came after, even if that foul wasn't why the ref had initially denied the penalty.

The commentators on the feed I was watching were sure the free was out was actually for the foul on Poulsen though and according to twitter the Danish commentators said the same thing. The free being taken from further back doesn't really mean anything, as that happens all the time and in this case I think Schmeichel was the one taking the free, so he would naturally take it from the edge of the box even if it happened further out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So no controversy here you cnuts. Correct decision.
Go back to attacking families, spitting at children and booing anthems.
:lol: Don’t hold back. Tell us what you really think!

Re video in OP. Specifically the incident inside the box. The defender clearly kicks the ball (scuffs it with studs of left boot) before being clattered by Kane. The two of them then go down in a tangle of limbs. Ref made the correct decision in real time.

Deery

Dreary
Haven’t read the thread but the balls gone and Harry Kane kicks the defenders leg..

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I think 100% Kane was being clever and it is no pen. Watching live I thought it was a pen, but ultimately ref was correct

But ref was obviously wrong on the Sterling dive

No idea why everyone still going in about it all. You win some you lose some, England got lucky but that’s football

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Haven’t read the thread but the balls gone and Harry Kane kicks the defenders leg..
Don't think the ball was gone to be fair. The both went for it. The defender got there just a split second before him, and Kane ends up kicking the player's leg instead. In fact, from one angle it looks like Kane got the touch, but on closer inspection the ball didn't change trajectory and was consistent with the direction the defender was kicking it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This is like one of those optical illustions. The 2nd clip looks like the Danish player wins it first, but the 3rd one shows Kane pokes it away. 1st is completely ambigious.

Last edited:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I think 100% Kane was being clever and it is no pen. Watching live I thought it was a pen, but ultimately ref was correct

But ref was obviously wrong on the Sterling dive

No idea why everyone still going in about it all. You win some you lose some, England got lucky but that’s football
Maybe it's late and I'm sleepy but I mostly see the English guys on here harping about how the cruel it was to state the fact it was not a peno on Sterling.

Bit curious seeing they say they love and feed off the hate for it.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
That was a penalty in fairness, surprised there wasnt more about it after

Edit: This is 75% a penalty. The actual penalty was 0% a penalty.

Dominos

Re video in OP. Specifically the incident inside the box. The defender clearly kicks the ball (scuffs it with studs of left boot) before being clattered by Kane. The two of them then go down in a tangle of limbs. Ref made the correct decision in real time.
I feel like we're watching different clips. It's Kane that toe pokes the ball away, and then gets fouled. I don't see the defender getting anywhere near the ball. The only thing you could claim is Kane has kicked through the defender's leg before getting the ball or at the same time, but the touch on the ball looks clean to me.