g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Kane penalty shout

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The decision was looked at wasn't it? They just didn't think it was clear and obvious enough to overturn the onfield decision.
Indeed. And I can see why. There was contact and given how very hands off VAR has been in this tournament, that was enough for them not to overturn it. But if it hadn't been given, VAR weren't going to overturn that call either. It falls into a grey area where they were going to leave it stand either way.

But within that grey area where VAR don't intervene, there's room for a majority of people to agree on whether it should or shouldn't be a penalty. And in this case the large majority of unbiased people would probably say it shouldn't be, as reflected in the likes of Mourinho, Wenger, Neville and all those ex-refs coming to that conclusion.

It wasn't some horrendous Maradona-esque robbery but it was a bad call. So suggesting that it was a clear penalty (as the poster I was replying to did) or that it's only being pointed to because of anti-English feeling is silly. It would be recognised as a bad decision whoever it benefitted.

caid

I wasn't defending anyone, I was simply pointing out that this kind of behaviour towards away fans is hardly groundbreaking or exclusive to England supporters.

People here seem to want to paint it as English culture but it's not. It's football culture. Doesn't make it right but the mental gymnastics some are going to in attempts to have a sly dig at the English is utterly bizarre and boardering on obsessive.
No one has painted hooliganism as a part of english culture. They've pointed out that you've been let down by some of your supporters in recent weeks. I'm not having a sly dig, i'm very purposefully and clearly having a dig at english football supporters because its being discussed in about 10 threads (primarily by you it seems) and its very easy to criticise.

TheReligion

Abusive
Indeed. And I can see why. There was contact and given how very hands off VAR has been in this tournament, that was enough for them not to overturn it. But if it hadn't been given, VAR weren't going to overturn that call either. It falls into a grey area where they were going to leave it stand either way.

But within that grey area where VAR don't intervene, there's room for a majority of people to agree on whether it should or shouldn't be a penalty. And in this case the large majority of unbiased people would probably say it shouldn't be, as reflected in the likes of Mourinho, Wenger, Neville and all those ex-refs coming to that conclusion.

It wasn't some horrendous Maradona-esque robbery but it was a bad call. So suggesting that it was a clear penalty (as the poster I was replying to did) or that it's only being pointed to because of anti-English feeling is silly. It would be recognised as a bad decision whoever it benefitted.
I totally agree with you and it's refreshing to hear some objectivity on the topic.

It's one of those decisions that people don't like but once it's given on field you'll not get overturned as there's arguments either way to give it. We've seen it so many times since VAR came in I'm really not sure why some seem so surprised about it.

TheReligion

Abusive
No one has painted hooliganism as a part of english culture. They've pointed out that you've been let down by some of your supporters in recent weeks. I'm not having a sly dig, i'm very purposefully and clearly having a dig at english football supporters because its being discussed in about 10 threads (primarily by you it seems) and its very easy to criticise.
Go on?

RedDevil@84

It's Kane who gets the ball first, and the Nørgaard's lands with his studs on Kane's foot. It's a pretty sound penalty shout.
I watched it a few times and it looks like the Norgaard kicks the ball away before getting hit by Kane in the back of his leg

ROFLUTION

I don't think I particularly care to be honest. What I find interesting is some here have that much hatred and dislike it's boardering racist to be honest. I also don't think it's good for people to invest that much time in things they apparently don't like or particularly care for.

I don't like Liverpool FC. I don't sit through all their games and then log on to their forums to trash talk them and debate match points. I maybe wind a few of the resident Scouse up on here then move on. Some posters really need to have a word with themselves as their behaviour has been nothing short of bizarre and seems to mask some unhealthy dislike of a whole country and its people which as I say is completely unhinged and boardering on racist itself.

Pretty worrying
You say others behavior is pretty worrying, but to me you should be looking at the cause.

Think about it: Could it be that you've actually done stuff to which this is just a reaction? I mean Brexit is no small thing, that's the platform you arrive at the Euro's with. Diving, lasers, booing, etc, just makes the feeling stronger. It's mindblowing how seemingly no british posters can see this angle. I'm sure many of you aren't even brexiteers, but it's mindblowing that you pr default think we should like England without doing anything particular positive.

I don't buy into the rawk argument. It's a United forum, where people frequent it every day and have different nationalites, posts about anything , and United is worldwide. Not like people search google for a british forum to speak their minds on having rarely ever been here.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
And that's the thing. Just because you think it was a clear and obvious error doesn't mean it was. Nor does it mean "99% of people thought it was" either.

Try being objective about it.

I really wish we could move on as the whole thing of slagging England at every opportunity is pretty boring.
Just because 'I' think so? Are you living under a rock since Wednesday? Please..

All I see is constant moaning from you lot.

Neutrals moved on pretty quickly on here and mostly respond to whataboutism and people saying it was a pen.

ROFLUTION

To me this is debating details way too far as Kane made the exact same freekick a second before. Maybe VAR just saw that and judged on that?

I mean it's strange to call a penalty seconds after a similar freekick, when Kane basically did the same leading up to the incident

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
To me this is debating details way too far as Kane made the exact same freekick a second before. Maybe VAR just saw that and judged on that?

I mean it's strange to call a penalty seconds after a similar freekick, when Kane basically did the same leading up to the incident
Oh yeah I was talking about the Sterling penalty foul there.

On this one I think you're right and Kane fouling Poulsen is why it wasn't given.

TheReligion

Abusive
You say others behavior is pretty worrying, but to me you should be looking at the cause.

Think about it: Could it be that you've actually done stuff to which this is just a reaction? I mean Brexit is no small thing, that's the platform you arrive at the Euro's with. Diving, lasers, booing, etc, just makes the feeling stronger. It's mindblowing how seemingly no british posters can see this angle. I'm sure many of you aren't even brexiteers, but it's mindblowing that you pr default think we should like England without doing anything particular positive.

I don't buy into the rawk argument. It's a United forum, where people frequent it every day and have different nationalites, posts about anything , and United is worldwide. Not like people search google for a british forum to speak their minds on having rarely ever been here.
You can't be serious :lol:

Classical Mechanic

That was exactly the same conclusion as the pundits on Match of Day. I see it as a soft penalty but I don’t feel conflicted about it. Looking at the angle that Kevin Doyle posted I wouldn’t feel massively aggrieved if it something similar was given against England because there was contact from both players and players go down in situations like that in the modern game.

Because the reality is that Sterling's is a decision that would have been looked at twice in any other game. That's why I've seen the likes of Mourinho, Wenger, Neville and at least six ex-referees have say it shouldn't have been a penalty. That doesn't happen if it's an obviously correct call.
They say that because of the same old reason 'the game has gone' whilst forgetting they instructed their own players to go down like they'd been shot.

Sterling was clipped on the leg and then barged from the hip. It wasn't a lot of contact, but as there were two cases of contact it could not be overturned.

Had it been a random league game it wouldn't get a mention. Had it been any other team it wouldn't get more than a column inch or two.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They say that because of the same old reason 'the game has gone' whilst forgetting they instructed their own players to go down like they'd been shot.

Sterling was clipped on the leg and then barged from the hip. It wasn't a lot of contact, but as there were two cases of contact it could not be overturned.

Had it been a random league game it wouldn't get a mention. Had it been any other team it wouldn't get more than a column inch or two.
So what's the (at least) six ex-referees' excuse for not thinking it's a penalty?

I would expect a certain amount of bias here but the degree to which some people are trying to spin a bad penalty call that has broadly been accepted as a bad penalty call as some sort of biased attack on the England national team is insane.

If Denmark had knocked England out with that penalty, we sure as shit wouldn't be hearing less about it. I don't think it's some horrendous scandal but I'm also very sure that's not the line the English media (or a lot of the English posters currently defending it) would be taking if the shoe was on the other foot.

Last edited:

lonelyred

This has been totally misunderstood by most who watched it.

There was a foul a few seconds before this incident even happened. There was another player before this one that Kane fouled outside of the box which is why the referee scrapped even reviewing the penalty and gave the free kick the other way. Kane fouled a previous player to win the ball and then drive into the box.

Go to 12 seconds in that video you posted. That’s what the foul was given for. Kane fouled their number 20.
You are completely right. It was an obvious and correct decision.