The key to high pressing football is a high backline

Mick1

Disclaimer fitness is important too

But not as important as minimising the gap between your forwards and backline. The reason for this is you need to keep your players close enough to the action to always be involved at stealing the ball. It takes huge balls to do this as a manager as you're giving up space in behind, and if it goes wrong you look like tits. But it's the risk/reward of this type of football.

The closest we've come to playing this kind of football is under LVG. However, our attack was impotent under him so it doesn't guarantee attacking football. Under Louis we'd regain the ball and recycle it back, because we didn't know how to cut through the opposition. And I think Van Gaal showed you dont exactly need 3 Kantes to play this type of football - he often had Carrick/Schweinsteiger and Fellaini in his midfield.
Wow, what a complicated opinion. They key to a successful high pressing teams is to get players who are good at the 98%.
More Lingards, less Martial please

GloryHunter07

Klopp had them playing the way he wanted, by the end of the season he took over. Just lacked the quality to get the results he's getting now (I'd argue they were a better pressing team in his first 3 seasons than they were last season), but they were a formidable pressing team not long after he took over.
Im not sure you can say that, they came 8th!

redMundo

Can’t play a high line with two ‘not-quick’ cbs and a keeper who can’t leave his line to sweep or distribute the ball very well.

Swap Lindelof for Tuanzabe and move on from De Gea. Then we can play that way.

David was one of the best in the world for a few years but his time has passed. His only above average quality......reflexes (which were truly world class) have either slowed or will slow.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Can’t play a high line with two ‘not-quick’ cbs and a keeper who can’t leave his line to sweep or distribute the ball very well.

Swap Lindelof for Tuanzabe and move on from De Gea. Then we can play that way.

David was one of the best in the world for a few years but his time has passed. His only above average quality......reflexes (which were truly world class) have either slowed or will slow.
While it may not have been De Gea's fault, but the goal against Southampton could have been handled a lot better by him. The punch out was poor and he was static on his line for the cross in.

SambaBoy

The coaching and understanding of the press is the main factor, rather than the players. Obviously having players who have the natural fitness and stamina to press constantly will help, however it's rare that teams will constantly press and harry for 90 mins. There are certain triggers that will initiate a press, and it will be worked upon in training.

Having played to a decent level, I have worked under different managers with different pressing styles. One would press high up the pitch with striker, wingers and an advanced midfielder. This would force the GK to go long. The other way out is to hit the full-back however your GK's kicking is vital in this. A floated ball that comes down high will allow one of the CM's to close down on his touch or the winger to leave the CB/half space and retreat to meet the full-back on his touch.

The other would allow the first pass free, and then press on the first forward pass, therefore the striker would be a lot deeper and the distance between the lines would be maximum 25-35m. The opposing CB would be allowed time on the ball, we would set up to block the passing lines and force the CB to give it to one side, and then press from there. Also blocking the passing lines inside, and forcing the full-back to go back or up the line where they would be squeezed out.

Obviously there was ways to beat both presses, and sometimes no matter how good you are at doing it you are still going to get beaten. Both methods are very different and you only realise your role in it when you are being put through the tactical shape and having it drilled into you, it takes a lot of analysis, drills and concentration and everyone must be on the same page. If one player is slack with the press, then it will be easy for the opposing team to get out.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Im not sure you can say that, they came 8th!
He can, the league position doesn't mean they didn't play to the style he wanted. The problem he had that first season was having come in 3 months into the season, the team had been prepared in pre-season for another manager, so they where not conditioned for his style of football. I recal them suffering for that later in the season with muscle injuries. Something that isn't an issue now. Plus of course, there where players in that team who simply where not suited to his systems. Now the players they have bought has been bought with his systems in mind.

Klopp has adapted his style anyway, yes, they still press exceptionally well, but its not the total focus as it used to be. And it's served them well, whereas his first season they where out of gas late in the season, last 2 seasons they where still going strong, especially last season. The season in England is more intense than Germany, so he had to change some things.

LoneStar

You need to have pace in the defence when you are playing high up the pitch. Even though our CBs are not quite rapid, I think the FBs should be able to cover that, both Luke and AWB are fast.

But I agree about the part where a keeper who's more comfortable with the ball, and more importantly coming out is crucial. If we play that way with DDG, who doesn't move an inch from goal, we'll concede a lot of goals on the counter.

And like many posters said, it needs to be a proper unit that is pressing. Not some individuals pressing. If one or two players don't press, then it becomes pointless, and actually backfires.

The good thing is we have a decent foundation for this type of football. Most of our players can press. But it needs to be coached properly, and I'm not sure if Ole is up to the task.

Skills

Snitch
You need to have pace in the defence when you are playing high up the pitch. Even though our CBs are not quite rapid, I think the FBs should be able to cover that, both Luke and AWB are fast.

But I agree about the part where a keeper who's more comfortable with the ball, and more importantly coming out is crucial. If we play that way with DDG, who doesn't move an inch from goal, we'll concede a lot of goals on the counter.

And like many posters said, it needs to be a proper unit that is pressing. Not some individuals pressing. If one or two players don't press, then it becomes pointless, and actually backfires.

The good thing is we have a decent foundation for this type of football. Most of our players can press. But it needs to be coached properly, and I'm not sure if Ole is up to the task.
You say that but under Van Gaal, De Gea did come out a lot more. He was no Neuer or Allison, but he was a lot more willing to leave his line and cover for the space behind the CBs.

That completely stopped when Mourinho became manager, indicating a shift in approach and since then Ole hasn't tried to re-introduce it.