The left-back market…

caid

That young barcelona left back seemed quite good in our game last year. How's he been doing since?
I'd be a bit annoyed to spend a huge chunk of limited money on a full back. Its probably needed though if Telles and Malacia are the standard of a bargain full back.

Last edited:

Mainoonited

Whoever we sign needs to be our first choice left back. Luke Shaw is great when fit but increasingly I feel that will be less likely.

Posted about him last year...his stock's gone up a bit since then but Quentin Merlin would still be fairly cheap. He'd instantly be our best crosser and set-piece taker.

Stylistically a little bit similar to a left-sided Alexander-Arnold. Lot of (good) crosses, lot of long passes and switches.

Varun1

The Athletic had a piece on this recently, their pick was:
  • M Sanchez - Celta Vigo
  • Quilindschy Hartman - Feyenoord
  • Miguel Gutierrez - Girona
  • Victor Kristiuansen - Leceister on loan to Bologna
  • Morato - Benfica
  • Melvin Bard - Nice

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
@Ekeke you watch Fiorentina, right? What about Dodo?

Maehle would be a good shout too. Edit: he's a right back, whoops.

Trying to think of some players that wouldn't be super expensive.

aeh1991

I seriously think LB is a top 3 priority for the summer. Spend big on this position, use Shaw as LB and LCB backup. We should try our luck with Theo Hernandez.

redNATION

Alphonso Davies, last year of contract, if Ineos want to make a statement and are serious about catching City, then has to be him. Combine with Frimpong at RB.

Bwuk

Shaw can cover Martinez and Lb. He’s too unreliable at this point.

Amass is highly touted in the youth set up from all accounts. Probably year away though.

Alphonso Davies, last year of contract, if Ineos want to make a statement and are serious about catching City, then has to be him. Combine with Frimpong at RB.
Dream signing but isn’t he meant to be Madrid bound?

Oranges038

I still think Barco was a missed opportunity.

Anyway.

Big name signing - Theo Hernandez / Davies

Potential to be an excellent player - Raum / Estupinan / Robinson

Cheap punt - Alfie Doughty, out of contract in the summer, that could be another Robertson from Hull type signing.

Keiro

Their left-back Parisi is excellent though.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Mykolenko could be a sensible squad option if we're going that route with Malacia missing presumed dead.

Has put in some very respectable performances against most of the top wingers in the league and Everton are terminally up the creek with FFP. Probably doesn't offer enough going forward to be first choice, though.

Woziak

I seriously think Theo Hernandez is the right type, mentally and physically plus when Shaw comes back, this will get the most out of him. The only way I see us recruiting Alphonoso Davies is tell him we will let him play his favourite position right wing as well as cover at left back. Can’t see it he’s off to Madrid or Barca?

aeh1991

I seriously think Theo Hernandez is the right type, mentally and physically plus when Shaw comes back, this will get the most out of him. The only way I see us recruiting Alphonoso Davies is tell him we will let him play his favourite position right wing as well as cover at left back. Can’t see it he’s off to Madrid or Barca?
Would be a statement signing by Ineos. Pat, tell him to come here!

daba

Both are being looked at by Real. I think Davies is nailed on for Real, seems like there’s been rumours for a long time and Bayern seem resigned to losing him. Real also have an obvious gap in their mega team at LB.

Frimpong is far more gettable I think though as Real still have Carvajal who is supposedly having a very strong year.

daba

Getting Theo would be a big move. Perhaps going for him over an LCB, with Shaw taking up that role more regularly as Martinez's’ back up would be an option.

Im also really interested in how Barco does at Brighton. If we don’t invest in LB this summer (trusting Malacia to keep fit next year), then going for Barco in 2025 after hopefully a solid year getting used to the Prem would be a move. We’d be paying probably 4x what Brighton have paid for him though.

Raum at Leipzig would also be an interesting option.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can we not get permission to do an emergency loan? We have no fit left backs.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Posted about him last year...his stock's gone up a bit since then but Quentin Merlin would still be fairly cheap. He'd instantly be our best crosser and set-piece taker.

Stylistically a little bit similar to a left-sided Alexander-Arnold. Lot of (good) crosses, lot of long passes and switches.
He’s a magician

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Market's not great. Your two most proven options in Davies and Theo Hernandez who have already been mentioned in here are either courted by teams in stronger positions right now (Davies), or probably just won't leave any time soon (Theo).

Not a fan of the Brighton left back any time I've seen him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Should just fast track Harry Amass, worked with Garnacho and Mainoo, why not just go mental with promoting the youth?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should just fast track Harry Amass, worked with Garnacho and Mainoo, why not just go mental with promoting the youth?
H.Amass is 16 years old. We aren't quite at Barcelona level of child-abuse just yet.

redNATION

Both are being looked at by Real. I think Davies is nailed on for Real, seems like there’s been rumours for a long time and Bayern seem resigned to losing him. Real also have an obvious gap in their mega team at LB.

Frimpong is far more gettable I think though as Real still have Carvajal who is supposedly having a very strong year.
Thing is everyone is linked with Real, they can’t and won’t sign everyone. City got Haaland when Real was an obvious choice for him, we should be in the mix for the best players based on what Ratcliffe said yesterday about catching City and Liverpool.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Anyway.

Cheap punt - Alfie Doughty, out of contract in the summer, that could be another Robertson from Hull type signing.
Good shout, has a good engine and a decent cross.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Anyway.

Didn't realise Doughty was out of contract. He's definitely getting a nice move.

Oranges038

Good shout, has a good engine and a decent cross.

Didn't realise Doughty was out of contract. He's definitely getting a nice move.
Yeah, he's a good player, good work rate and attitude, technically very good on the ball, good crosser, and seems to have good stamina to get up and down the pitch.

Whether he's good enough to step it up another level remains to be seen, but he's shown he has what it takes to cut it in the PL. Might end being at a similar level to Cresswell, but even still he'd be a good signing on a free for most PL clubs.

48 hours

if ever a player was destined to be injured for us

Pronewbie

Peep
Estupinan is a player I've enjoyed watching be it for Ecuador or Brighton. A pacey livewire with good technique and strength for a LB. Unsure about his defensive qualities though.

Paul778

We're not going to prioritise a replacement in this summer window - we're just not. Too many other areas.

And if we're waiting on summer in 2025 you would hope between now and then Amass would have had a few chances in the first team (even if it's just on tour) and we can see whether he's going to save us dipping into the market.

Shinjch

So much depends on what we want to do with our full backs.

If Dalot is locked in on the other side then it may be wiser to get a player who plays more like a third defender who is able to progress the ball quickly, especially if we are going to persist with a system that has one holding midfielder. Could Medina be moulded into this role?
This would however limit overlap opportunities if Rashford is still likely to be the left sided attacker. Rashford is a player who needs these overlapping runs more than a Garnacho I think.

If we are going to change our right back profile, or central midfield set up, as well then it opens the discussion into more aggressive attacking wing back style left backs.

Eplel

What about that Gilberto fella? Is he still playing?

Hughes35

Mykolenko could be a sensible squad option if we're going that route with Malacia missing presumed dead.

Has put in some very respectable performances against most of the top wingers in the league and Everton are terminally up the creek with FFP. Probably doesn't offer enough going forward to be first choice, though.
Christ no. Everton fans don't even rate him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We're not going to prioritise a replacement in this summer window - we're just not. Too many other areas.

And if we're waiting on summer in 2025 you would hope between now and then Amass would have had a few chances in the first team (even if it's just on tour) and we can see whether he's going to save us dipping into the market.
There's really not though, we've been without a LB the entire season, it's 100% going to be a priority, the management isn't going to risk another season like this.