Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Jim Sterling and some other randomers who didn't get an early review copy gave the game a 7/10, in an attempt to be relevant since the market was flooded with positive reviews early on.

The main points raised were about weapon durability and the weather system (rain making it difficult to climb) being frustrating.

Of course he couldn't figure out;

a) you get better weapons all the time so treat the weapons as disposable items and use your worst weapons first unless you need to use your better ones
b) you can use the environment to your advantage- explosive barrels, bees, stealth attacks (the rain makes it easier to infiltrate enemy camps)
c) that the weather forecast lets you know when it will rain and you can camp to wait if you want to climb up a mountain..
I usually like Sterling's videos and reviews, but it's weird lately, he keeps complaining about how jaded he is with open world games, nitpicked the shit out of Zelda and then proceeded to whack off at length about Horizon and Nier(which may be excellent games, not saying anything about them), two other open world adventures.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Jim Sterling and some other randomers who didn't get an early review copy gave the game a 7/10, in an attempt to be relevant since the market was flooded with positive reviews early on.

The main points raised were about weapon durability and the weather system (rain making it difficult to climb) being frustrating.

a) you get better weapons all the time so treat the weapons as disposable items and use your worst weapons first unless you need to use your better ones
b) you can use the environment to your advantage- explosive barrels, bees, stealth attacks (the rain makes it easier to infiltrate enemy camps)
c) that the weather forecast lets you know when it will rain and you can camp to wait if you want to climb up a mountain..
I know, it's just daft. Sure, dislike the game of knock points off based on your tastes, that fine. But at least understand what it is you are talking about and why it's like that.

People are talking about things needing fixing like they are broken. This isn't like Dark souls where the first 2 needed patching due to the weapons being tied to the framerate (for some daft reason), or the Witcher where the levelling was a bit weird so when weapons degraded (pretty quickly in that too), you could end up with a pretty shitty sword due to weight load management too, or even one of my favourite games of all time, System Shock 2 where you were lucky to find weapons at all only to have them break after one shot :lol:

There's a purpose and reason for everything in this game. Like some things, or loathe others, it's undeniably incredibly impressive.

Art Vandelay

You turned it off without even trying the boss and refused to play it since?
I tried him twice, he had 2000hp, my strongest weapon did 45 damage. It was fairly obvious where that was going. Obviously there's another way around it, but the weapon system was such a turn off by that point that I didn't bother trying any further. I was burned out. I've been playing other games until I can be bothered going back to it. Which I will at some point.

Why is it outlandish that someone might not like a specific system within a game? It's not a perfect game and parts of it are going to rub some people the wrong way. It doesn't matter if it's intended to be that way, if to them it takes away from the fun.

Redlambs

I tried him twice, he had 2000hp, my strongest weapon did 45 damage. It was fairly obvious where that was going. Obviously there's another way around it, but the weapon system was such a turn off by that point that I didn't bother trying any further. I was burned out. I've been playing other games until I can be bothered going back to it. Which I will at some point.

Why is it outlandish that someone might not like a specific system within a game? It's not a perfect game and parts of it are going to rub some people the wrong way. It doesn't matter if it's intended to be that way, if to them it takes away from the fun.
I didn't say it was outlandish, read my posts above.

And yes, it does matter, it matters a lot actually. You've just said it yourself in fact, not everyone likes everything, but at least those things should be for a reason and not bugs or unbalanced.

That's the point, it's not broken, you just don't like that aspect and that's fine. I've listed a few great games above that have similar issues but for different reasons, where the balancing is either off or it's a mistake. Personally, again, I've never been a fan of messing with the weapons like that in games, but it does make a huge amount of sense here. What the likes of Jim are doing badly wrong is comparing this to just the usual generic open world games completely ignoring the fact this is supposed to be a survival game more than anything, and that's what seperates it most.

I will agree that it's a little bit too much, for example a reward weapon should last longer, but then again you could just store them until later and use them when you need. That's the crux, you are supposed to plan and use everything at your disposal wisely, and if all else fails, be creative with the situation. That's perhaps it's biggest strength for me.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It's not shit for weapon of inventory management :lol:

You must have been reading some proper negative sites if you think it's something that needs fixing asap. It doesn't, at all!

I'm not really one for weapons degrading in general, most of the time it's pointless. But in this is has a specific purpose, to make you use and master every type of weapon and realise all the cool stuff you can do with them. I get the feeling most of the negativity comes from people either not playing the game and guessing or not understanding that.

Ffs, you find weapons, shields and bows literally everywhere! And the moment you lose the latest badass sword you found, you find another even more badass one. It's not a broken system, it's very balanced. fecking modern gamers :lol:
I'm sorry, I'm not a modern gamer. I prefer the old systems where I find stuff and it's possible to keep the shit either because it won't break or because the durability system settings are set at a place where you can choose to fix the stuff you like instead of it breaking after 2 seconds of fighting. If anything "use and throw" is more of the modern ways than the keep-and-repair way if you ask me.

Zelda fans have it on them for being the most defensive people on the internet when it comes to talking down to anyone with a differing view, I see it is for a reason.

Also, you say it's not a broken system, but just before you someone else commented on it being a major turnoff for him, and I've read a few pages in here which said that a lot of others find it annoying as well.
I did say it seem like a fantastic game, but with the durability system being so bad that it takes away from the enjoyment from what I can gather.

I see reviewers give it 10/10 everywhere, and I look for those who are actually reviewing the games when others wax only lyricals over it constantly, hyped up games like "the best of all time" have a tendency to not live up to the hype, and if I went in thinking it was a 10/10 game and found such a bad durability balance without expecting it, I'd call the reviewers hype-builders instead of... You know, reviewers.

You say the system is there so you can master the weapons, well, do you really manage to master the usage of weapons if they break as fast as a lot report? I watched a guy stream some gameplay and it seemed like you'd lose 2-3 weapons per encounter with 3-4 enemies. That's ridiculous if it's even remotely right.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Bolded part seems to me like a big positive, not a negative. Seems like great weather effects.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yup, I'm really enjoying switching between clubs, greatswords, broadswords and spears, and discovering how to get the best out of each.
They have the same moveset then? As in, the types of weapons have the same moveset and you get a lot of all types just from random drops? if so, it doesn't sound as bad when it comes to becoming familiar with the weapons.
Guess i'll need to watch a few hours of stream instead of just half an hour.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I'm sorry, I'm not a modern gamer. I prefer the old systems where I find stuff and it's possible to keep the shit either because it won't break or because the durability system settings are set at a place where you can choose to fix the stuff you like instead of it breaking after 2 seconds of fighting. If anything "use and throw" is more of the modern ways than the keep-and-repair way if you ask me.

Zelda fans have it on them for being the most defensive people on the internet when it comes to talking down to anyone with a differing view, I see it is for a reason.

Also, you say it's not a broken system, but just before you someone else commented on it being a major turnoff for him, and I've read a few pages in here which said that a lot of others find it annoying as well.
I did say it seem like a fantastic game, but with the durability system being so bad that it takes away from the enjoyment from what I can gather.

I see reviewers give it 10/10 everywhere, and I look for those who are actually reviewing the games when others wax only lyricals over it constantly, hyped up games like "the best of all time" have a tendency to not live up to the hype, and if I went in thinking it was a 10/10 game and found such a bad durability balance without expecting it, I'd call the reviewers hype-builders instead of... You know, reviewers.

You say the system is there so you can master the weapons, well, do you really manage to master the usage of weapons if they break as fast as a lot report? I watched a guy stream some gameplay and it seemed like you'd lose 2-3 weapons per encounter with 3-4 enemies. That's ridiculous if it's even remotely right.
Don't question this game. The narrative is that it's the best game ever made, everything else is ignored. It's Zelda. feck the fact this game should have been released 10 years ago.

Drainy

I don't even use that many weapons on bosses, ffs.

EDIT: Was he very early on and just equipped with branches and sticks?
:lol: sounds like he's an idiot is running into enemy camps and trying a button bashing strategy.

If there are 3-4 enemies he should be using the environment to his advantage or he'll likely die over and over and waste his current weapons (although, as always they get replaced by the drops from the enemies and any rewards from the area)

Drainy

Bolded part seems to me like a big positive, not a negative. Seems like great weather effects.
it is. The rain disadvantages you if you want to climb, but is a boon if you want to use stealth.
Like most things in the game if you use your brain it rewards you, if you don't then you are put at a disadvantage.

If Jim Sterling wants to play 'press x to win' games then it's his choice, but he should be more objective when talking about the systems, even if he doesn't personally like them.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I don't even use that many weapons on bosses, ffs.

EDIT: Was he very early on and just equipped with branches and sticks?
Very likely that he was very early on, he had posted his 1st part up until the point he saw the temple of time i think, and then lost his rusted sword, then it popped up that he was streaming so he was likely very early in the game.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Here's my current crop of melee weapons.

Three broadswords, four greatswords, a great axe, three giant clubs, and six spears. When one breaks, it'll take a moment to replace with similar or higher quality, if I don't pick something good enough up after that very battle. Which is what usually happens now.

Art Vandelay

I didn't say it was outlandish, read my posts above.

And yes, it does matter, it matters a lot actually. You've just said it yourself in fact, not everyone likes everything, but at least those things should be for a reason and not bugs or unbalanced.

That's the point, it's not broken, you just don't like that aspect and that's fine. I've listed a few great games above that have similar issues but for different reasons, where the balancing is either off or it's a mistake. Personally, again, I've never been a fan of messing with the weapons like that in games, but it does make a huge amount of sense here. What the likes of Jim are doing badly wrong is comparing this to just the usual generic open world games completely ignoring the fact this is supposed to be a survival game more than anything, and that's what seperates it most.

I will agree that it's a little bit too much, for example a reward weapon should last longer, but then again you could just store them until later and use them when you need. That's the crux, you are supposed to plan and use everything at your disposal wisely, and if all else fails, be creative with the situation. That's perhaps it's biggest strength for me.
I didn't mean that them not liking it means that it's broken, I worded that badly. I meant that if it's something that's really putting them off the game then it doesn't matter why it's in there as long as it's annoying them. Understanding why something is there doesn't mean they will feel it's not a broken system.

For me, not being able to use the weapons doesn't add to the survival element. I actually really like the survival element, planning ahead and slowly getting stronger and thus able to handle more situations. The weapon system as it stands adds nothing to that for me. Your cold weather and climbing equipment get better, you don't lose them. Your stamina gets better, you don't lose it. I've been carrying an ax I got off a guardian for ages because I'm afraid to lose it as I've nothing else even close to it. That's not fun. If I get a reward for something then it should be mine to fit into my strategy for as long as I want it or it becomes obsolete. Otherwise rewarding me for things just feels pointless. It's not a shooter where you save ammo for certain situations, it's a game about exploration that only lets you borrow the rewards for that exploration. I don't really care what the reasons they implemented it are, it's not a system that's ever going to feel enjoyable to me. I don't want to be scrambling from sword to stick, I want to be fighting with my sword that I earned. You can't plan ahead for the weapons when you don't know what you're going to be facing or what you're going to get from them.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Very likely that he was very early on, he had posted his 1st part up until the point he saw the temple of time i think, and then lost his rusted sword, then it popped up that he was streaming so he was likely very early in the game.
Right, at that point you'll mostly have rusty swords, boko spears(a pointy stick), tree branches, and random junk.

Junk being the key word. Proper weapons last longer, though there are some high power weapons with low durability too, which are the ones that may want to be minded for special occasions. It'll warn you in the weapons description if it does have low durability, too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Watched the video, but it only made me think that yes, making weapons consumables is one way to do it, but I personally would prefer a sort of leveling system that would make it so you can keep and upgrade a few weapons within a class for their specific uses instead of what people say with the throw-away-system that is now.

That said, it does make good points as to why the system isn't broken, especially if as you say that it isn't as bad as the streamer i saw (lobosjr, a guy who mostly streams dark souls stuff) experienced with 3-4 weapons going in one fight against a few enemies.

Thanks for the posts and videos, feels more certain that I want to try the stuff if I see it cheap from private people on a later stage. :)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Right, at that point you'll mostly have rusty swords, boko spears(a pointy stick), tree branches, and random junk.

Junk being the key word. Proper weapons last longer, though there are some high power weapons with low durability too, which are the ones that may want to be minded for special occasions. It'll warn you in the weapons description if it does have low durability, too.
Question!
Does the mastersword exist in the game? and if so... Can it break? Surely one weapon that can't break would be good to have? :p

Redlambs

I'm sorry, I'm not a modern gamer.
First of all, I will apologise for the way I wrote that, I wasn't talking about you I know you are a gamer and we tend to agree on a lot of things on here IIRC. It's set the tone for the rest of your post, my bad, but I will answer purely because I hate the thought of you going into this with the wrong idea and liking the game less from the off. If that makes sense!

I prefer the old systems where I find stuff and it's possible to keep the shit either because it won't break or because the durability system settings are set at a place where you can choose to fix the stuff you like instead of it breaking after 2 seconds of fighting. If anything "use and throw" is more of the modern ways than the keep-and-repair way if you ask me.
Not at all, weapon degrading is a lot older than you think. And I've never been a fan of it.

I'll mostly let this one go, because it's a statement that will just take us down a silly path. I wil say I've explained myself rather well in here I think, certainly better than the detractors of the system seem to have anyway.

You mad it sound like it needed fixing, I've since attempted to explain why it's not. And that particular person also blamed Nintendo's "stubborness" for not fixing it. Surely you can see why I might look to set that right? After all, the system isn't broken for a start

I do know reviewers, a whole bunch even in the flesh. Sadly.

This is the problem I have with this sort of thing, hype is bad and we all know it. However one thing I constantly say to people, is don't let that cloud your judgement when playing it. Now this isn't a dig at you, I'm just trying to make a point, but you already have your vision of this game clouded because of the 10's and the weapon degrading stuff, right? It's human nature to be that way, we all sadly have that at times (which is why I don't read reviews anywhere near as much as I used to :( ).

But that's not a good start to a game, you say it can't possibly live up to the hype, but what ever can? I think I said this earlier in this thread, but what about those games, or albums, or films that actually come along and are great? Is it not beyond the realms of possibility that we are still finding the next greatest of all time?

Having dealt with professional reviewers for a lot of my early working life, I can tell you I never believe them. I still don't even after this. But as someone who's played the game, luckily enough not to have been swayed by anything major, it's a genuinely great game and it's right up there with the very best.

The answer is yes actually. It's not ridiculous at all, you really really need to play it to get that point across. The idea is that there's always seemingly infinite ways around a situation, if you are breaking that many weapons in one fight then you are simply being a bit silly to keep trying. That sounds rude tbf, but surely if doing the same thing over and over that isn't working, in a game that gives you endless possibilities, you should try something else?? I loathe to say someone is doing it wrong, especially in this of all games, but the only ridiculous part there is the lack of thought.

Seriously, you find weapons all the time, you use every different type of weapon in the game, and you learn to manage the situation and survive. That's the whole idea of the game, it isn't just a standard Zelda or open world game, there actually isn't anything quite like it, ever. Sure it's fine for the weapon system to annoy people, just like the lack of big dungeons might do others, or the rain weirdly seems to aggravate people (which I find to be one of the best parts, it's amazing if you use it to your advantage), it's fine not to like the whole game. But let's be balanced and at least understand that those are set design choices and not broken things that Nintendo are too stubborn to fix, or that people only force themselves to like cause, you know, ZELDA!!!! It works in the game, it's actually a huge part of the game, and it's part of what makes this such an epic game like it or loathe it.

You've read too many negative stuff about the inventory (?) or weapons degrading and it makes you think they are problems, understandably so. But seriously my friend, it's really not like that when you play it. You may hate it like Art, or you may love it like others. I'm pretty in the middle on it actually, but I do get it and I honestly wouldn't want them to change it, as it would fundamentally change the whole game and make it far more generic.

PepsiCola

Weapon durability was only a hassle early on in the game. However it teaches you to approach encounters differently and try and get an advantage from your environment. Heck, wait til night and when the camps are asleep, snipe the lookout then sneak attack all the enemies.

The games progression comes from a constant stream of improving weapons. It's quite masterfully done. There was a mini guardian shrine which had me use up the majority of my melee weapons. I was rewarded with 3 guardian weapons and 2 chests giving me climbing gear and a awesome sword.

The one poster claiming the game should have been released 10 years ago is a joker.

Redlambs

I didn't mean that them not liking it means that it's broken, I worded that badly. I meant that if it's something that's really putting them off the game then it doesn't matter why it's in there as long as it's annoying them. Understanding why something is there doesn't mean they will feel it's not a broken system.

For me, not being able to use the weapons doesn't add to the survival element. I actually really like the survival element, planning ahead and slowly getting stronger and thus able to handle more situations. The weapon system as it stands adds nothing to that for me. Your cold weather and climbing equipment get better, you don't lose them. Your stamina gets better, you don't lose it. I've been carrying an ax I got off a guardian for ages because I'm afraid to lose it as I've nothing else even close to it. That's not fun. If I get a reward for something then it should be mine to fit into my strategy for as long as I want it or it becomes obsolete. Otherwise rewarding me for things just feels pointless. It's not a shooter where you save ammo for certain situations, it's a game about exploration that only lets you borrow the rewards for that exploration. I don't really care what the reasons they implemented it are, it's not a system that's ever going to feel enjoyable to me. I don't want to be scrambling from sword to stick, I want to be fighting with my sword that I earned. You can't plan ahead for the weapons when you don't know what you're going to be facing or what you're going to get from them.
Now this is very fair, good post.

I do actually agree with you here too, at least that a mid-ground would be nice. Like there being a certain metal that just can't break unless you really overuse them as rewards. It wouldn't be the same game at all if you removed all the degrading stuff, but a little more balance for those who don't like that system would be a good thing.

Redlambs

Weapon durability was only a hassle early on in the game. However it teaches you to approach encounters differently and try and get an advantage from your environment. Heck, wait til night and when the camps are asleep, snipe the lookout then sneak attack all the enemies.

The games progression comes from a constant stream of improving weapons. It's quite masterfully done. There was a mini guardian shrine which had me use up the majority of my melee weapons. I was rewarded with 3 guardian weapons and 2 chests giving me climbing gear and a awesome sword.

The one poster claiming the game should have been released 10 years ago is a joker.
He hasn't quite figured out that OOT or even Link to the past, were technically open world games too. He thinks this is the first one :houllier:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Question!
Does the mastersword exist in the game? and if so... Can it break? Surely one weapon that can't break would be good to have? :p
It exists(of course it does), but to explain more veers into spoilery territory.

It doesn't break, but if you repeatedly use it against random enemies, it drains of energy, and requires a few minutes of waiting before it can be used again.

Against Ganon, and certain enemies, it glows blue and does double damage.

Redlambs

Question!
;) Now that would be madness!

Earthquake's post was good though, the weapons do all differ a lot and it does tell you ones that are less durable, giving you a hint to manage. And seriously, and I can't stress this enough, almost as soon as your favourite sword breaks you'll find another, or better a much more powerful weapon.

Seriously if you are left weaponless in the middle of a fight, it's all on you.

Art Vandelay

Now this is very fair, good post.

I do actually agree with you here too, at least that a mid-ground would be nice. Like there being a certain metal that just can't break unless you really overuse them as rewards. It wouldn't be the same game at all if you removed all the degrading stuff, but a little more balance for those who don't like that system would be a good thing.
As much as I hate it, I could actually tolerate it if instead of exploding in your hand you simply couldn't use them and they could be repaired easily enough at settlements. I hear you can do that later in the game but it's not really made an overly viable option. Some way of levelling them up would be nice too. Deciding whether to use a slot carrying a broken weapon is on you. Also lasting a reasonable amount of time would obviously be preferable. I prefer to feel like I'm getting stronger as are my weapons, which are actually my weapons. Rather than feeling like I've rented some cheap exploding nonsense.

I don't get along with weapon degradation in any game. When I stopped playing Zelda last week I went back to playing The Witcher 3 and I grumble to myself every time I have to pay a blacksmith to fix my equipment.

Redlambs

As much as I hate it, I could actually tolerate it if instead of exploding in your hand you simply couldn't use them and they could be repaired easily enough at settlements. I hear you can do that later in the game but it's not really made an overly viable option. Some way of levelling them up would be nice too. Deciding whether to use a slot carrying a broken weapon is on you. Also lasting a reasonable amount of time would obviously be preferable. I prefer to feel like I'm getting stronger as are my weapons, which are actually my weapons. Rather than feeling like I've rented some cheap exploding nonsense.

I don't get along with weapon degradation in any game. When I stopped playing Zelda last week I went back to playing The Witcher 3 and I grumble to myself every time I have to pay a blacksmith to fix my equipment.
But Witcher's leveling system is actually pretty terrible itself, in fact I'd say worse in regards to all those supposedly cool swords and things. Thank feck I played it on PC and patched that shit away! :lol:

But yeah, I do get where you are coming from. However I do feel as though I'm getting stronger because I am getting much better at it. Maybe it's some inception-idea for the player to grow with the game. How zen!

PepsiCola

And you, like a true Nintendo fanboy, take every post that this just might not be "THE BEST GAME EVER" as someone saying "It's shit".
Goddamn annoying.
Just a quick look through your posts.

Your shitposting about a game you have never played, in a series you don't have interest in, on a console you have no intention of buying?

Chill man it's just a video game. The general consensus for which, despite what you think, is one of the best produced for a long time.

Art Vandelay

it is. The rain disadvantages you if you want to climb, but is a boon if you want to use stealth.
Like most things in the game if you use your brain it rewards you, if you don't then you are put at a disadvantage.

If Jim Sterling wants to play 'press x to win' games then it's his choice, but he should be more objective when talking about the systems, even if he doesn't personally like them.
I don't understand that statement. His review is his opinion. If he doesn't like a system he can't turn around and call it good anyway. What would be the point in reviewing it if he wasn't going to give his opinion?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
First of all, I will apologise for the way I wrote that, I wasn't talking about you I know you are a gamer and we tend to agree on a lot of things on here IIRC. It's set the tone for the rest of your post, my bad, but I will answer purely because I hate the thought of you going into this with the wrong idea and liking the game less from the off. If that makes sense!
Thank you, and yeah... I could've probably worded stuff so it was more obvious that I was trying to ask for confirmation/new information rather than as if I'm out to talk down on the game.

Not at all, weapon degrading is a lot older than you think. And I've never been a fan of it.
I remember playing Might and Magic something something that I think had weapon degredation, but even then I could fix the stuff, I guess I'm one of those who grow fond of a weapon and want to keep and upgrade it more so than see it become a consumable, but if it works in the game I'll of course give it a chance (if i get my hands on it for a price i can accept, even if i have to wait)

I'll mostly let this one go, because it's a statement that will just take us down a silly path. I wil say I've explained myself rather well in here I think, certainly better than the detractors of the system seem to have anyway.
Yeah, sorry about that one, was part of the way we got into things it seems. After all, I'm a final fantasy guy, we're not known for being the most sane people either. :lol:

You mad it sound like it needed fixing, I've since attempted to explain why it's not. And that particular person also blamed Nintendo's "stubborness" for not fixing it. Surely you can see why I might look to set that right? After all, the system isn't broken for a start
You, @Earthquake and @Drainy did well in explaining stuff despite my edgy way to enter the conversation, Obviously the research I had done wasn't near enough (though as i mentioned, when I see stuff universally praised i tend to look for the negatives so I don't end up jumping on the hype-train and end up dissapointed, which is why i figured this thread would be able to give me pointers on if the system was as bad as it seemed, and if so if there was any intent on fixing it.

I do know reviewers, a whole bunch even in the flesh. Sadly.

This is the problem I have with this sort of thing, hype is bad and we all know it. However one thing I constantly say to people, is don't let that cloud your judgement when playing it. Now this isn't a dig at you, I'm just trying to make a point, but you already have your vision of this game clouded because of the 10's and the weapon degrading stuff, right? It's human nature to be that way, we all sadly have that at times (which is why I don't read reviews anywhere near as much as I used to :( ).
I had a view, but my view is open to change, like how you guys have changed my view from "unplayable and won't ever buy it" to "i really want to check it out someday" with this conversation. Naturally I'll have my preferences, like loving leveling systems and grinding myself to be overpowered at some point, but I can accept that it is a different kind of game that emphases on the adventure and survival instead of the kind of play i prefer, doesn't mean i cannot enjoy it for what it is. And yes, the insane hype-trains that plague the gaming-world these years is the reason I'm entering looking for faults, because reviewers these days don't highlight it, and the only people who will tell it as it is are the players who you can have a conversation with without... Well, what we almost ended up doing, just shaming each other.

My standard way of looking at games is: Trailers, look for battle systems and if it's close to those I enjoy or if it's something i can accept for the magnificence of the rest of the game, then i look at the hype and wait for player-reviews, but while i wait for those i look at standard reviewers if it is a game that gathers a lot of hype, like in this case. I was wrong with only watching lobos for half an hour though, which made me think the system of breaking weapons was so flawed, the issue was mostly with how frequent it seemed, not the basic idea of it (despite, as mentioned, preferring other systems).

But that's not a good start to a game, you say it can't possibly live up to the hype, but what ever can? I think I said this earlier in this thread, but what about those games, or albums, or films that actually come along and are great? Is it not beyond the realms of possibility that we are still finding the next greatest of all time?

Having dealt with professional reviewers for a lot of my early working life, I can tell you I never believe them. I still don't even after this. But as someone who's played the game, luckily enough not to have been swayed by anything major, it's a genuinely great game and it's right up there with the very best.
The Witcher 3 really lived up to the hype for me, despite me never being able to finish the damn thing because of headaches during usage of the witcher senses. I guess the game has got me holding my ticket for hype-trains again in case some stuff comes out and does the same for me. I think we're in agreement here, but the sillyness of the overhyping everything to the next greatest thing ever is why people mostly try to shield themselves from it, and end up trying to look for negatives instead of what they can enjoy (before they buy stuff).

The answer is yes actually. It's not ridiculous at all, you really really need to play it to get that point across. The idea is that there's always seemingly infinite ways around a situation, if you are breaking that many weapons in one fight then you are simply being a bit silly to keep trying. That sounds rude tbf, but surely if doing the same thing over and over that isn't working, in a game that gives you endless possibilities, you should try something else?? I loathe to say someone is doing it wrong, especially in this of all games, but the only ridiculous part there is the lack of thought.

Seriously, you find weapons all the time, you use every different type of weapon in the game, and you learn to manage the situation and survive. That's the whole idea of the game, it isn't just a standard Zelda or open world game, there actually isn't anything quite like it, ever. Sure it's fine for the weapon system to annoy people, just like the lack of big dungeons might do others, or the rain weirdly seems to aggravate people (which I find to be one of the best parts, it's amazing if you use it to your advantage), it's fine not to like the whole game. But let's be balanced and at least understand that those are set design choices and not broken things that Nintendo are too stubborn to fix, or that people only force themselves to like cause, you know, ZELDA!!!! It works in the game, it's actually a huge part of the game, and it's part of what makes this such an epic game like it or loathe it.

You've read too many negative stuff about the inventory (?) or weapons degrading and it makes you think they are problems, understandably so. But seriously my friend, it's really not like that when you play it. You may hate it like Art, or you may love it like others. I'm pretty in the middle on it actually, but I do get it and I honestly wouldn't want them to change it, as it would fundamentally change the whole game and make it far more generic.
I'll just sum up that I'm convinced that I should give it a try if i get the chance (naturally i'm bound by economic limitations and already having invested in a ps4). Once I see people start to sell them for a price i can afford I definitely will check out the game as my major issues with how I've come to gather the game to be like has been sorted thanks to you guys. :)

Redlambs

Not sure where there was irony.
Exactly. Well done, you are learning. Now if only you could figure out the problem here...

One user criticized a certain aspect of the game ( just ONE aspect) and got jumped upon by you.
You mean the user who i'm now having a decent conversation with about the game design and things that could improve it?

Nice work Sherlock.

Art Vandelay

But Witcher's leveling system is actually pretty terrible itself, in fact I'd say worse in regards to all those supposedly cool swords and things. Thank feck I played it on PC and patched that shit away! :lol:

But yeah, I do get where you are coming from. However I do feel as though I'm getting stronger because I am getting much better at it. Maybe it's some inception-idea for the player to grow with the game. How zen!
Levelling system in TW3 isn't the best, but it never really got in my way either. Although it did frustrate the tits off me yesterday, I'd been using Aerondight and trying to level it up, but a companion character kept stealing my kills when I'd the enemies set up to boost Aerondight. The bitch!

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Exactly. Well done, you are learning. Now if only you could figure out the problem here...

You mean the user who i'm now having a decent conversation with about the game design and things that could improve it?

Nice work Sherlock.
Urgh. You are just such an unpleasent person.
Your first reply to him wasn't that "decent".

Absolutey don't know what you are on about with irony here.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It exists(of course it does), but to explain more veers into spoilery territory.

It doesn't break, but if you repeatedly use it against random enemies, it drains of energy, and requires a few minutes of waiting before it can be used again.

Against Ganon, and certain enemies, it glows blue and does double damage.
Sounds perfect, won't make you run around without a weapon and won't make it the only weapon of choice.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Naturally I'll have my preferences, like loving leveling systems and grinding myself to be overpowered at some point, but I can accept that it is a different kind of game that emphases on the adventure and survival instead of the kind of play i prefer, doesn't mean i cannot enjoy it for what it is.
This is kind of how I am with it. I'm more generally a fan of turn based rpgs, to the point that I generally don't get on with some very well rated action rpgs. I'm not even an especially big Zelda fan(blasphemy!), but I went into this excited(surprisingly excited, tbh.) at how it looked and was well rewarded, with the game I've had the most fun with since I can't even remember when.

Sounds perfect, won't make you run around without a weapon and won't make it the only weapon of choice.
They nailed it, in the game, important, but doesn't render the massive collection of other stuff pointless.