Music The "Listen to one new album a day" thread

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I don't mean like the other thread from a few years ago (1000 albums) where someone posts one album per day for everyone to listen to. This one I thought could be that we listen to one new album per day each (new, old... whatever), and then post in here which one we have listened to. If you've listened to multiple new albums a day, you can either post them all, or just the one you like best.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Listened to 'Graceland' by Paul Simon yesterday. It's pretty much perfect.

Oh, new....nevermind.

This thread's not for me, I'm always listening to stuff I've already heard.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I was introduced to an artist called Arthur Russell today, he makes some interesting and varied music. Unfortunately he's been dead for a while.

The album I listened to was called Love is Overtaking Me - http://www.discogs.com/Arthur-Russell-Love-Is-Overtaking-Me/master/48669. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, mainly because I've felt the need to put a few tracks on repeat.

It is actually a compilation album but that still counts right? Bit of a country vibe but with a hauntingly beautiful feeling.

Here's a few songs from it:

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Protomartyr – Under Color of Official Right.

I've only listened to it through once, but enjoyed it based on that one playthrough. It's mostly a post-punk album, and there are some nice atmospheric tracks that you'd likely expect on a post-punk record, but there are also some faster, more straight punk songs on there too, both fit together nicely.

Spotify playlist - https://play.spotify.com/user/mortoniusxxiv/playlist/5iIg0jZ5JLEMSD7p9mB9tH

A couple of the tracks on Youtube;

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Right, that's going to be my new album tomorrow @Olly. Very much enjoyed those 2 tracks.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Alright then. I've listened to quite a bit recently but one that stuck was Moodoïd's EP quite boringly called "Moodoïd EP" (It was short enough for me to remember it). It's basically some French psych heads fronted by the guitarist from Melody's Echo Chamber. First off they will probably remind you a bit of stuff like Tame Impala (and Melody's Echo Chamber). It's mixed by Kevin Parker so that sort of makes sense I guess. Then they seem to make pretty weird videos as well ("Je Suis la Montagne" and "De Folie Pure")
Then suddenly they decide to throw in a huge splash of world music (Arabic or something) in lack of a better word and end up with a track like the following.
Anyway, I find it quite enjoyable.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I love this idea because I get stuck in a rut of listening to the same albums over and over again. This will make me listen to something new and I also might get ideas from your albums.

Album I listened to today isn't new. It's The Rapture's 2003 album Echoes.

I had heard some of the tracks numerous times before but had never listened to the entire album (Is that cheating?). Anyway, I enjoyed it.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I really like this idea Olly, i'm not sure i'll manage a new one every day but i'll have a go!

To start with, here's one i've very recently found.

Episode by Stratovarius (1996)

This is Stratovarius' fifth studio album and the first of theirs i've had the pleasure of listening too. One of the bigger Power Metal bands, especially in the 90's when this particular album was released, this is the first effort by Stratovarius to include keyboards as one of the instruments.

Spotify Link - Stratovarius – Episode

EDIT: i forgot to mention, after being kind of indifferent towards it after the first listen, i gave it a couple more spins and i now really, really like it.

Nickosaur

Protomartyr – Under Color of Official Right.

I've only listened to it through once, but enjoyed it based on that one playthrough. It's mostly a post-punk album, and there are some nice atmospheric tracks that you'd likely expect on a post-punk record, but there are also some faster, more straight punk songs on there too, both fit together nicely.

Spotify playlist - https://play.spotify.com/user/mortoniusxxiv/playlist/5iIg0jZ5JLEMSD7p9mB9tH

A couple of the tracks on Youtube;

Really liked those tracks, nice find Olly. Will listen to the full album later.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Next up is my favourite of today's new albums, and that is The Sun and the Moon's self titled release from 1988. The Sun and the Moon is Mark Burgess' and John Lever's (from The Chameleons) other band that they formed. It's basically another Chameleons album, well it sounds like one anyway (that's a good thing).

Youtube playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB5362BE6253CCEDD

Maagge

You're not really giving us a chance here, Olly.

Anyway, "Salad Days" by Mac DeMarco is great. I listened to it yesterday. I'm on my phone now so can't (be arsed to) post songs. Go listen to "Brother" or "Treat Her Better" or something.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
You're not really giving us a chance here, Olly.

Anyway, "Salad Days" by Mac DeMarco is great. I listened to it yesterday. I'm on my phone now so can't (be arsed to) post songs. Go listen to "Brother" or "Treat Her Better" or something.
A chance for what? :)

Cornell

Nice going Olly, I try to do this most days and hopefully this inspires me to keep it up. (It might also renew my interest in the Caf!) Really digging that Protomartyr record.

Anyway, my first album that I listened to today:

The Dismemberment Plan's Emergency & I [1999]

For me this album is the ultimate antidote for feeling like shit. It's a tour through life's problems from the personal and mundane to the global but they manage to do it in a constructive and cathartic way by way of some inspired lyrics and delivery from Travis Morrison. Add a top notch rhythm section and restrained but powerful keyboard and guitar work and you have yourself an astonishing record.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC876D5B753D09A1
I'll try post a Spotify link when I figure out how.

Last edited:

datura

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
The Crack, by The Ruts.

With the exception of a few tracks, this album sounds more like something from the US hardcore punk scene in the 80s, rather than something you might expect from a British punk band. Good though and recommended for any punk fans.

Full album on Youtube -

Maagge

So I've started listening to Sun Kil Moon's "Benji" on my way to uni today, got halfway through it or so. And I was really sucked into the lyrics. In one way it's very straightforward but so honest and credible as well. I really couldn't do anything but listen, it was like someone telling you a good story. It's pretty heavy and sad stuff we're told as well, so some might have trouble getting through it in one go.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
This Never Ending Now by The Chameleons.

This Never Ending Now an album by English post-punk band The Chameleons, released on 1 September 2002 through record label Paradiso. It consists of acoustic reworkings of songs from their early albums and singles as well as featuring a cover of David Bowie's "Moonage Daydream".

Spotify - https://play.spotify.com/album/4API0uW9CbuSUPD9bfA8eS

Very nice :drool:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I guess I should rename this to the "Listen to one one album at random times/whenever you remember" thread.

Just listening to Warsaw by Joy Division (or I guess Warsaw).

Youtube playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1E09D76DF07DD916

This is good, definitely prefer this more punky Joy Division :cool:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
What a roaring success this thread was.

Listening to this at the moment;

The Feelies ‎- Crazy Rhythms

Pretty good so far. Some of the long intros are a bit annoying but the actual music is good.

Youtubeable album;

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ive always liked but not loved James. Their brilliant new album has changed all that.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I'm going to try the impossible. Well, it's not impossible, just quite improbable I'll come to the end. I'm eager now, at the start, but you know how most of such things end...

Anyway, will attempt to listen to some 1,000 albums in the next year or two. I listen to a lot of music daily anyway, either focusing on it, or leaving it in background (still quite aware of it), so guess 2 or three albums per day isn't that big of a deal. Around two hours I reckon.

Started with the year 1980, and already listened to two albums, hard rock - power pop All Shook Up by Cheap Trick and experimental - ambient Dig It by German Klaus Schulze. Still a loooot of 1980 albums coming up, so hopefully you don't mind if I track my progress here, @Olly , they are still whole albums. :cool:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

Motörhead - Ace of Spades (hard rock)
The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue (rock)
Any Trouble - Where are all the nice girls? (power pop, rock)

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Total rip off of @Eboue 52 books in a week challenge.

I'm listening to the Bauhaus posted above. It's pretty nice, typical Bauhaus. Did Nirvana lift the bassline of Hollow Hills?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Listened to three albums today already. Helps when two of them are 28 and 31 minutes in length.

First album of an underground icon Lydia Lunch, it's interesting and dark album, where she often sings off-key, but it fits.

Alice Cooper in the eighties. Even he was heavily influenced by new wave, and can clearly hear that here. It's a good album, no worries.

Not a huge fan of ska, if fan at all. Can listen to it of course, but it's not something I'll remember or be eager to listen again shortly after. The frontman did moon the Pope, so they get some cool points from me.

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Have to say that I didn't know Toyah before, but apparently she's well known, at least in Britain. I'm fairly certain that I did hear her though, as her voice is quite familiar (and unique). Wiki also reveals she's married to Robert Fripp! Of course, of King Crimson theme.

Out of albums already posted, liked this one the most, and already had a re-listen of it. Our Movie and Neon Bomb are favourites from it.

I mostly knew Yello from their Oh Yeah single, here's their debut album. Weird mix of electronic and rock, some ambient as well. Weird but just fine.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
1980 continues.

First one is quite excellent Red Exposure by Chrome. Experimental, early industrial, electronic, rock, name it. It's weird, but I'm reading their previous albums are even weirder. Maybe will hear for myself sometime in 2018.

New Age, Animal and Static Gravity my favourites.

This is what is written on cd liner notes of The Residents' Commercial Album:

Point one: Pop music is mostly a repetition of two types of musical and lyrical phrases, the verse and the chorus.
Point two: These elements usually repeat three times in a three minute song, the type usually found on top-40 radio.
Point three: Cut out the fat and a pop song is only one minute long. Then record albums can hold their own top-40, twenty minutes per side.
Point four: One minute is also the length of most commercials, and therefore their corresponding jingles.
Point five: Jingles are the music of America.

Conclusion: This compact disc is terrific in shuffle play. To convert the jingles to pop music, program each song to repeat three times.

This album is exactly that - 40 one-minute songs on one album. I was listening to re-release so it has some bonus tracks (all longer!). It's an interesting experiment, and some songs are actually quite fine. Well, as good as they can be for a one-minute songs...

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Swell Maps - ...In "Jane from Occupied Europe"

These guys apparently influenced quite a few people, and guess the impact on me would be much bigger in the early eighties, but listening to it now for the first time, it's just...well, ok. Think fans of experimental and post rock, post-punk will see it as a pretty good album. This release is hour and five minutes plus long, and my favourite is Secret Island.

Poly Styrene - Translucence

Nice change from recently listened styles. Lovely voice from Mrs. Styrene.

Half Japanese - Half Gentlemen/Not Beasts

This wasn't a particularly nice experience, really not a fan of this type of out-of-tune noise...something. And still haven't listened to it whole, only on #21 out of 50. Debut album of these guys, and they started with a triple album! Will try to power through to the end, but it will be quite hard.

After first fifteen...

Cheap Trick - All Shook Up ★★★½
Klaus Schulze - Dig It ★★★★
Motörhead - Ace of Spades ★★★★½
The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue ★★★
Any Trouble - Where are all the nice girls? ★★★
Lydia Lunch - Queen of Siam ★★★★
Alice Cooper - Flush the Fashion ★★★
Bad Manners - Ska 'N' B ★★½
Toyah - Sheep Farming in Barnet ★★★★½
Yello - Solid Pleasure ★★★½
Chrome - Red Exsposure ★★★★
The Residents - Commercial Album ★★½
Swell Maps - ...In "Jane from Occupied Europe" ★★★
Poly Styrene - Translucence ★★★½
Half Japanese - Half Gentlemen/Not Beast ★

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Laughter

Listened to the re-issue of this album, and have to say I prefer disc two, which is filled with instumentals, demos and album outtakes. First disc, the actual original album, ain't bad, some funny lyrics, and a valiant try to top Hey Jude by The Beatles with fecking Ada.

★★★

Pete Townshend - Empty Glass

Now, this is a winner, and a top 1980 album I listened so far in this undertaking (still 120+ albums to go though). Townshend did a wonderful job here, both vocally and musically. Every song is great, but here's a couple of top top favourites: Rough Boys, I Am an Animal, And I Moved, Gonna Get Ya. Just awesome.

★★★★★

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Plasmatics - New Hope For The Wretched

Good, honest punk rock-thrash metal mix, now with female vocal of Wendy O. Williams, "The Queen of Shock Rock,". Corruption live is outstanding.

★★★½

Beware, tits and guitar/car murders in the video.

Skids - The Absolute Game

Scots with a solid new wave, punk album. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either and I quite like the vocal of Richard Jobson. Circus Games is pretty good.

★★★