The Longstaff brothers

Ekeke

Both dropped for Shelvey and Hayden for the past month coinciding with Newcastle climbing the table. Essentially Matt had a good game against us on his debut and Sean was okay, after that they've both done poorly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Both dropped for Shelvey and Hayden for the past month coinciding with Newcastle climbing the table. Essentially Matt had a good game against us on his debut and Sean was okay, after that they've both done poorly.
Makes the links with us seem even more strange. Matt seemed good from the clips but I'd have expected the club to have extensively scouted him, and he isn't even shining at Newcastle.

FujiVice

Scott McTommany is the player Sean Longstaff could have been #Partridge.

Alabaster Codify7

Both of them just seem like bog-standard English central midfielders to me, I don't see anything that makes them stand out over the likes of Cleverly, Rice, Wilshere etc. Nothing special whatsoever, I am so thankful that Woodward didn't allow Ole to spunk £60m or something on Sean this summer because we'd be getting a worse version of McTominay. Christ. Our scouting needs to raise its game BIGTIME if that's what we're targeting.

King Eric 7

Both of them just seem like bog-standard English central midfielders to me, I don't see anything that makes them stand out over the likes of Cleverly, Rice, Wilshere etc. Nothing special whatsoever, I am so thankful that Woodward didn't allow Ole to spunk £60m or something on Sean this summer because we'd be getting a worse version of McTominay. Christ. Our scouting needs to raise its game BIGTIME if that's what we're targeting.
I would assume that Sean Longstaff would have been a £15 - 20m punt, much like what James was. The quoted figure of £60m was beyond ridiculous and nowhere near what we would have been willing to pay. Whether he is even worth that much remains to be seen and I couldn't possibly comment because I don't watch him play much and it doesn't look like he is getting much of a run in this Newcastle side!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I would assume that Sean Longstaff would have been a £15 - 20m punt, much like what James was. The quoted figure of £60m was beyond ridiculous and nowhere near what we would have been willing to pay. Whether he is even worth that much remains to be seen and I couldn't possibly comment because I don't watch him play much and it doesn't look like he is getting much of a run in this Newcastle side!
Honestly, if a club other than United had come in for Longstaff and offered 20M, they'd have considered it long and hard. Because its United, they probably had to huddle together and ask themselves whats in the bloke that they missed but United was seeing and if they played hard ball they could get more.

Its a classic situation of someone not being worth much until they become important to someone else.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah, personally I think Longstaff has been found out. When a young player debuts, and for the few games after that, they're an unknown quantity and they take defenders by surprise. After a few games, opposition players start getting wise to them. See Dan James as a prime example - first few games he was scoring screamers and terrifying defences, now, not so much. He's adapting well though, he's becoming an industrious grafter rather than an electrifying game changer because defenders have gotten wise to him. Longstaff might have looked great when Pep didn't know who he was and underestimated him, but now he's fading into being just a generic English midfielder.

Paul_Scholes18

They are not playing right now and Newcastle are doing great. Played well against us though, but not much more than that this season.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ginger twat deserved that thrashing after the shite injection celebration.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ginger twat deserved that thrashing after the shite injection celebration.
Haha I thought I was a bitter guy asking a pal if the "ginger Longstaff" was still smiling after :lol:

bludsucker

What was that injection celebration all about? Genuinely couldn’t understand it. Thought he was pointing to the referee that it was a handball in the buildup to the goal. Was very confusing.

Champagne Football

Matty has 3 goals in his first ever 11 appearances for Newcastle.

A ginger goal scoring box to box midfielder!

He'll cost nothing in the summer.

I'm wondering are Ole and The Glazers tempted?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Are people serious about these two because even arsenal aren't signing them. It seems to be only us linked to dead players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Matty has 3 goals in his first ever 11 appearances for Newcastle.

A ginger goal scoring box to box midfielder!

He'll cost nothing in the summer.

I'm wondering are Ole and The Glazers tempted?
We should sign Matty and play him for U23s for half a season and loan him out to lower leagues for rest of his career.

Brophs

The One and Only
There’ll be plenty of pisstaking but loads of people on here were saying stuff like “He’s definitely worth a punt for £30m/just pay the money, Ed” after he’d played 7 games or whatever. Some people just need the dopamine hit sexy, sexy transfers provide.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is such bullshit. If he was our number 1 target we would have paid for him. Its clear we thought he was worth a punt at an x price and laughed when Newcastle tried to ask for 50m.

Shit gets twisted so easily on twitter.

Champagne Football

Seem to be having a shocking season, but they are still young. There's been players slaughtered on here over the years, the likes of Gareth Bale, Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Darren Fletcher, Fred etc as having absolutely no chance of making it to the top, so you just never know with some young players.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He should definitely sack his agent, the tea lady probably has a better car than him.

On a note serious note, nice gesture from him, he will no doubt be having a huge wage increase soon so it's not going to hurt him longterm, but it's still great to see.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If that's true, that's superb.

But I doubt he's still on that original youth team wage somehow.
He only debuted a few months ago and has only played 5 league matches. He hasn't signed a new contract and only penned his first pro deal in the summer of 2018. He is 100% still on that same first pro deal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He only debuted a few months ago and has only played 5 league matches. He hasn't signed a new contract and only penned his first pro deal in the summer of 2018. He is 100% still on that same first pro deal.
How do you know this?
There was plenty of talk about him getting a massive increase after scoring his first against us.

Fair play to the lad for 30% though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How do you know this?
There was plenty of talk about him getting a massive increase after scoring his first against us.

Fair play to the lad for 30% though.
The countless articles that say he is in a contract stand-off or the fact no contract renewal has ever been reported.

Interesting fact upon looking at his father, he coaches/plays for the Whitley Warriors who also have Philip Edgar. Brother of former Newcastle United player David Edgar.