The looming spectre of.....The Conference League

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I think the worst thing about it is playing Thursday and Sunday again every week.
Why is this in general considered harder than Wednesday and Saturday? Is there a specific reason for that?

Not trying to be a smart-ass, asking a genuine question.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why is this in general considered harder than Wednesday and Saturday? Is there a specific reason for that?

Is it really about being harder? I always understood that people just dislike having to watch on Sunday?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Is it really about being harder? I always understood that people just dislike having to watch on Sunday?
Oh, okay. Understandable then. Otherwise I don't see much difference in difficulty between Wed-Sat and Thur-Sun in terms of schedule.

What makes a slight difference is that sometimes going to far rung places in Eastern Europe and playing on shitty pitches in difficult weather can be tougher.

Mike Smalling

Chelsea keep trying to outdo us by being even shiter, otherwise they’d ease past us.
They still could, I guess. If they win their game in hand, it would only take an additional net gain of 3 points on us. Not likely, but also not impossible.

I'd honestly prefer either keeping 6th or dropping to 8th. Even if 7th is where we end up , the Conference League is not our level, and it would just be a distraction from the league. It would also mean Thursday night games and Sunday games basically all of the fall. The Europa League would be more fitting for our level, espeically if we manage to improve the squad over summer and have better luck with injuries next season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think people just prefer Saturday's but also with the CL you get Tuesday/Saturday's sometimes.

Danish Wizard

Conference League is our level then.
I think it's better than no European football. It will give the manager more matches, to implement the tactic. And hopefully the opportunity for some youngsters to gain valuable European experience. So we are ready for the Champions League the following season..
And it's a trophy we haven't won. Yet..

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Bring on the Conference League I say, assuming we don't beat city.

Would be quit cool to be the first team to win all European trophies and there's the potential for some great away trips.

The early rounds would also give us an opportunity to play a few younger players.

More importantly, the competition will have two group games less than the Europa League next season. In this new era of being concerned about player welfare, that could be quite important

Bertie Wooster

I always want European football even if it's the Conference League

It'll give Ten Hag/whoever is in charge next season. Lots of winnable games and a good shot at a trophy. Plus, plenty of opportunities for the young and squad players.
Yeah, completely agree.

We're nowhere near the level needed to compete for the PL / CL at the moment. So I won't be turning up my nose at the chance to win the only realistic chances of silverware - either the domestic cups, or the EL / Conference League.

Those kind of tournaments are all that we've been capable of competing for in the last decade - they're not "beneath us' as some say - it's the PL and CL that's become beyond us (for now).

And, as you say, it's a good opportunity to help blood some of the youngsters at times and for the team to, hopefully, get to the later stages and compete for a trophy.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Like it or not this is our level. We have been a poor UCL team for over a decade now. We have no business being in the elite competitions currently

RoyH1

Frankfurt only under the assumption that only 6 European spots are distributed through the league - but it's more likely to be the 8th placed BL team to play in the ECL (if indeed the 5th CL spot is secured and Leverkusen win the cup in their final against Kaiserlautern who are in relegation battle in the second Bundesliga). So that would currently be Augsburg who played a single season in Europe in their history. Could also still be Heidenheim who play their first ever Bundesliga season.
I'm trying to motivate the troops in here and you just had to come with a heavy handed dose of objectivity, factual correctness and plain old teutonic common sense. Please tell me, how can I get the lads fired up for Heidenheim?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm trying to motivate the troops in here and you just had to come with a heavy handed dose of objectivity, factual correctness and plain old teutonic common sense. Please tell me, how can I get the lads fired up for Heidenheim?
No problem. Their manager Frank Schmidt took them over 16 years ago, which makes him the longest serving manager in any of the top leagues. In this time he lead them from the 5th tier of German football into the Bundesliga and possibly (assuming they indeed qualify) into Europe. Which is a stellar job and a longevity that essentially makes him the closest thing to a modern day SAF you can find. Every United fan should love to meet that guy, who in his own way is an echo of the glory days of United.

RoyH1

No problem. Their manager Frank Schmidt took them over 16 years ago, which makes him the longest serving manager in any of the top leagues. In this time he lead them from the 5th tier of German football into the Bundesliga and possibly (assuming they indeed qualify) into Europe. Which is a stellar job and a longevity that essentially makes him the closest thing to a modern day SAF you can find. Every United fan should love to meet that guy, who in his own way is an echo of the glory days of United.
Brilliant! I'll almost want them to win if they play us after that explanation. If the beer is any good down there, let's gooo!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Brilliant! I'll almost want them to win if they play us after that explanation. If the beer is any good down there, let's gooo!
Probably. I was never in their stadium but I just checked and there you get a beer from a local brewery I never heard about :lol:

Considering that Heidenheim is in South Germany (Baden-Württemberg, just on the border to Bayern) I will assume that you will get good stuff there.

Wilt

The fact United are even the frame for the Conference just shows how low this club has sunk.

If Utd do end up in this awful competition, I don’t want to see any first team players being used ….kids and reserves only!

LordSpud

Would you rather go Conference or no Europe at all? I would rather just have the full weeks to train.

pascell

Not harder, just more of a hindrance personally with work etc.

Plus the PL have started bringing in later kick off times on a Sunday because of the new TV deal.

GregM40

We'd have to get past a qualifying round first, which I think is played a couple of days before the new Premier League

mintyred

I don't want to watch us play these boring teams, but we're better in Europe than out of it. We need the money for FFP.

Banana Republic

Chelsea keep trying to outdo us by being even shiter, otherwise they’d ease past us.
They still could, I guess. If they win their game in hand, it would only take an additional net gain of 3 points on us. Not likely, but also not impossible.…..
Don’t underestimate Chelsea.
They’re finally starting to play a lot better after a disastrous season,.
They should have beaten City in the FA Cup semi-final, if it hadn’t been for poor finishing and wasting clear cut opportunities.
Their fight back against Villa the other night, being denied an injury time winning goal by VAR, showed them to be coming together as a team.

Chelsea are 6 points behind us with a game in hand.
They’ll play 2 games before Utd face Palace next Monday night and they play another game before our following fixture against Arsenal.
If we lose at Palace, they’ve got every chance of overtaking us.
Out of Chelsea’s 5 remaining fixtures, I could see them winning 3.
What chance of Utd getting more than 1 win and 1 draw out of our last 4 games?

They might be doing us a favour, if we end up 8th.

dinostar77

Would you rather go Conference or no Europe at all? I would rather just have the full weeks to train.
Same here. Spend more time on training ground to get the players to actually play as a team rather than a bunch of individuals.

Mike Smalling

Don’t underestimate Chelsea.
They’re finally starting to play a lot better after a disastrous season,.
They should have beaten City in the FA Cup semi-final, if it hadn’t been for poor finishing and wasting clear cut opportunities.
Their fight back against Villa the other night, being denied an injury time winning goal by VAR, showed them to be coming together as a team.

Chelsea are 6 points behind us with a game in hand.
They’ll play 2 games before Utd face Palace next Monday night and they play another game before our following fixture against Arsenal.
If we lose at Palace, they’ve got every chance of overtaking us.
Out of Chelsea’s 5 remaining fixtures, I could see them winning 3.
What chance of Utd getting more than 1 win and 1 draw out of our last 4 games?

They might be doing us a favour, if we end up 8th.

Yeah, I agree. The only thing I'd add is that Chelsea are about as unreliable as we are, so three points on the board is a lot better than a game in hand. If they do pip us to 7th spot, I wouldn't mind.

MyBloodIsRed

I hope the manager (whoever it is) plays kids in this. Our first team can barely stay fit and the focus should be on the league next year to regain CL football.

Bertie Wooster

With the possibility of 5th getting CL, and the likelihood of City winning the cup and an extra league spot for EL, I've lost a bit of track as regards what finishing 7th and 8th would mean.

If City win the FA Cup, would it mean 7th then get EL spot and 8th Conference League? Or would it be 6th and 7th and 8th would miss out on Europe altogether?

fps

The Europa League is grim. The Conference League is worse.

Bertie Wooster

The Europa League is grim. The Conference League is worse.
I really don't get "the Europa League is grim" type attitude. There's plenty of perfectly good teams that reach the later stages every year - often knocking us out in them!

I don't really see it as grim when every year it's got some of the biggest teams from the biggest leagues in the later stages - just not the one or two strongest teams from each who are usually battling it out in the CL. But we're just not in that equation in the last decade, and for me it's more embarrassing how far behind the PL leaders we are than that we're in a European competition later stages with the likes of Milan, Roma, Sevilla, etc.

The Conference League is another level below that, yeah. But, sadly, so are we at this stage! So I'd still say we only have a realistic shot at winning it, rather than it's some easy joke of a competition that we only have to turn up to win. So I'm not turning my nose up at that competition either.

RedDevil@84

Don't think our players have it in them to handle the pressures of the Conference league.

daveskimufc

What positions qualify for what comp?

6th Europa?
7th conf?

What If we win the fa cup?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What positions qualify for what comp?

6th Europa?
7th conf?

What If we win the fa cup?
FA Cup winner goes directly into the EL so in general 5th is EL, 6th ECL. Except the FA Cup winner is a top 6 team, that it will be 7th in the ECL)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
United 54
Newcastle 53
Chelsea 51

Remaining fixtures.

United: Palace (A) Arsenal (H) Newcastle (H) Brighton (A)

Newcastle: Burnley (A) Brighton (H) United (A) Brentford (A)

Chelsea: West Ham (H) Forest (A) Brighton (A) Bournemouth (H)

I see us getting 4 or 5 points from those remaining games. Maybe 6 for Newcastle and 7 or possibly 9 for Chelsea. Their home games are very soft.

Todd

So either result in the F.A. Cup final essentially helps us get into the Europa League, right?

If we win, we're straight in, if City win, the EPL gets an extra Europa League spot, which we're currently sitting in as things stand now.

Big Andy

Bloke
it means you’re always playing catch up, so if by some miracle we challenge next season we’d always be playing after everyone else, which has its own struggles mentally.

bringbackbebe

United 54
Newcastle 53
Chelsea 51

Remaining fixtures.

I see us getting 4 or 5 points from those remaining games. Maybe 6 for Newcastle and 7 or possibly 9 for Chelsea. Their home games are very soft.
Have some faith in Chelsea FFS

Born2Lose

If ten Hag's still here he'll go for it with the first eleven. His vanity couldn't resist.

Woziak

Don’t worry we’ll come 8th, pretty confident now and this chapter with ETH will all be over very shortly.

Mike Smalling

United 54
Newcastle 53
Chelsea 51

Remaining fixtures.

I'd say we could get anywhere from 0 to 7 points, but definitely most likely to be in the lower end of that. I feel certain we will lose to Arsenal, and our away record is so poor, but this team could also potentially fluke two wins. But I also think 4 points is probably the most likely - 1 win, 1 draw, 2 losses. With our shitty goal difference, I actually see us finish 8th now. Chelsea are getting results here and there, and have a very manageable schedule, and Newcastle only need to gain 1 point on us over four games.