The looming spectre of.....The Conference League

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Become the first team to win all the uefa sanctioned competitions? Not a bad proposition.

Cloud7

If we get a manager that injects some joy and excitement into the football on the field then I could bring myself to look forward to it. More of the same, however, would just be painful

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This unfortunately is looking a realistic proposition and it probably is more embarrassing than being completely out of Europe!

At least it should throw up some new destinations for our EuroAway following

Bondi77

We have been relegated to the 2nd division before as have other English clubs that have won the biggest prize in Europe....that is what playing in a competitive league is all about.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
If top 5 get Champions League, do 6th and 7th get Europa spots?

The only disadvantage of being in the Conference League rather than Europa is the play off rounds.

Once the main season starts, there will be less games.

Also, there has been suggestions that Chelsea might be serving a European ban next season. That potentially means 8th place gets the Conference League spot.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3uhKoxLO2V/?igsh=a3Qxa2hrbXZ1aWpt

spiriticon

It is the dream of this club to follow in the shoes of the great West Ham United

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Battle is well and truly on now. 2 points between us and West 'aaaam.

I've never been so desperate to get into the Europa League.

tomaldinho1

I’d be so up for this if Ineos do what we’re hoping and have a mass clear out + sign a good number younger players. Give whoever is in charge a season or two to really build and commit to a playing style we can see + make sure they are using youth players and we see the development happening month by month.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I suspect we'll still make 4th. We're only 8 points off with 12 fixtures to go and ETH usually pulls a run of points out of his arse just when everyone thinks he's on the ropes. Also, I don't think Villa will be able to sustain at this level through 38.
Have you looked at the remaining matches for United?

4th is not happening.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Good opportunity to play youngsters. Sadly we will probably bring out our best possible XI against the champions of Slovenia just for Shaw to break a leg and Hojlund to tear his ACL.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have you looked at the remaining matches for United?

4th is not happening.
You're responding to a guy who made a post before Fulham at home, with us on a winning run, and Villa and Spurs slightly spluttering.

Clearly losing to Fulham utterly killed any chance of 4th. 5th would take a real winning run.

Reiver

I'd rather all our players simultaneously shat themselves in the last game of the season than be in this conference league of Europe.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Could we just use it to give under 21 lads game time, mixed in with a few first teamets coming back from injury or needing game time?

It would be like the old reserve league

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Gives us a chance to rotate, have interesting away days and not get spanked.

At this point it sounds nice.

Next season is still rebuild time. Having matches like these to build routines and give squad players game time as well as blood in any youth players to see their level may well be a good thing.

Superden

It would be great as part of a reset as long as we have a manager who uses the games blood some kids and get them battle hardened

Lexicon Red Devil

Gives us a chance to rotate, have interesting away days and not get spanked.

At this point it sounds nice.

Next season is still rebuild time. Having matches like these to build routines and give squad players game time as well as blood in any youth players to see their level may well be a good thing.
It's been rebuild time for about 15 years. Signing players like Eriksen, Evans and Casemiro hardly seemed like signings with the right age profile if we had a rebuild in mind. ETH would have probably signed Kane instead of Højlund if he got his way as well.

If we sign a single player over the age of 26 in the summer we know we can pretty much give up on the new regime changing anything.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's been rebuild time for about 15 years. Signing players like Eriksen, Evans and Casemiro hardly seemed like signings with the right age profile if we had a rebuild in mind. ETH would have probably signed Kane instead of Højlund if he got his way as well.

If we sign a single player over the age of 26 in the summer we know we can pretty much give up on the new regime changing anything.
Can’t rebuild if the property developers think it means painting the front door and putting sealant and caulk everywhere.

Eventually a wall or two needs knocking through. A floor comes up etc.

We’ve got new developers in now. We’re going to be remodelling the house.

Woziak

I'd have little faith in that happening, unfortunately.
It’s not 8 points it’s 12 points, Villa are on 55 points with a +22 GD and United are on 44 with a -2 GD and 11 games to go United would need a perfect 30 points or 10 wins 1 defeat and Vila only get 18 points 5 wins 3 draws 4 defeats it’s not happening, we are playing for Europa Leagie and if EPL gets the 5th CL spot then 6th and 7th would get Europa League and 8th ECL

Woziak

If the players have an in built wage reduction of 20/25% for Europa league I hope they have a 40/45% reduction for European Conference league, that’s how you start changing culture !

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I'd rather all our players simultaneously shat themselves in the last game of the season than be in this conference league of Europe.
That would make great television !! We could have Gary Neville explaining that players shat themselves way better in his day & Carragher doing slow-motion replays.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Conference league is humiliating for United. If we end up there, we need to play reserves and hope that we get knocked out as early as possible

Bert_

Pointless competition created for no other reason that to get more matches on TV for UEFA to cash in on. If we end up in it then just send the under 21's to play for us and let the under 21's manager and coaching team take charge for it. Might actually take interest in it if we did that.

foolsgold

Conference league is humiliating for United. If we end up there, we need to play reserves and hope that we get knocked out as early as possible
We need the money that the competition would bring. We can’t turn our nose up at anything. Every match we play to win, plus it has a Europa League spot for the following season.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I'm ending my Glazer boycott if we're in it. Some of those aways will be great fun.

stevoc

Ugh, I'd forgot about this shit. I won't worry about it though, our league form will probably slide even further down the shitter now and we'll finish 8th or 9th.

pacifictheme

If a team who qualifies for the UCL or Europa through the league wins the fa cup sixth gets Europa doesn't it? Seems likely to me.

stevoc

Too shit for the conference league seems to sum up our trajectory.
Yeah seems about right, I think I read last week that we're on course for our worst season since the 70's. So at this stage we'd probably do well to maintain a top 10 position given we're only 5-6 points above 11th.

RoyH1

Would make for some great nights out in Europe for those willing to travel. And a good place to blood some of our young players.

OleGunnar20

Would make for some great nights out in Europe for those willing to travel. And a good place to blood some of our young players.
For sure. I don't mind the idea, assuming we're working with a heavily turned over squad in need of gelling.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Hoping to be knocked out of a competition actually is the most embarassing and humiliating idea one can have about this. I'm fine with playing the kids, but it should be done as a challenge for them with the aim of actually winning, not play them to waste the tournament. If you play them with the aim of "please get knocked out" you raise a generation of losers, you don't breed the winning mentality you want to see.

Red Regista

I think you can opt out of it?!

We should definitely not play there.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
If we play the Conference League, we need to play the kids / reserve lot until we get to the semi-final and then go HAM to win the thing.

Bwuk

I have to say I find it daft people turning their nose up at this competition.

We will be in it if we manage to qualify because that's the level we are at unfortunately.

whitbyviking

I'm becoming a member again if we get in that.

Potential for some incredible aways.
Conference league is a lot more interesting than the premier league.
Snobbery aside this would be great for a bit of football tourism. There are a load of classic European teams with fantastic grounds to visit.

Other than that if we have a new, younger, hungrier squad then it would be a good opportunity to get some wins on the European scene and get them used to traveling to the continent to play something different than the humdrum of the premier league midweekers.

If that is what we qualify for it is also our level, simple as.