Film The Lord of the Rings (and other movies that you absolutely have to watch at least once a year)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just finished watching THE trilogy. Extended editions, obviously, because I'm not a stupid twat. I already feel depressed because I can't watch it again for another twelve months, and I can't just move on to the Hobbit trilogy because it was shite.

Has anyone else got a movie or series of movies that they find themselves watching at least once a year?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Lord of the Rings
Band of Brothers

Agree about the hobbit - it could have been 1/2 movies with the same atmosphere. But no they had to feck up the way dwarves look and add totally shit bits.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just finished watching THE trilogy. Extended editions, obviously, because I'm not a stupid twat. I already feel depressed because I can't watch it again for another twelve months, and I can't just move on to the Hobbit trilogy because it was shite.

Has anyone else got a movie or series of movies that they find themselves watching at least once a year?
Yep. This. I try and do an extended edition marathon at least once a year and with my life being so f*cking sh*t right now, I’ve done it twice since august.

I’m also on my annual read of the book / s. I love LOTR, and any tale of massive heroism and struggle. Energises me.

The only other one I do regularly is the old (laugh and I’ll kill you) BBC All Creatures great and small :)

I watch that as often as I can, start to finish, and read the books too. They’re my safe space.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Indiana Jones 1-3 every Christmas

Withnail

I enjoyed the books when I read them but I wouldn't sit through those films again if you paid me, especially the third one.

I was getting uncomfortable in my seat in the Cinema when the first of the fade out/black out/white outs happened and was thoroughly bored by the end. Funnily enough, I enjoyed the ending of the book. I agree on the Hobbit films. I only got as far as the Dwarves doing the dishes and I turned it off.

I don't really have movies I'd watch repeatedly like that though apart from the Snapper and the Commitments. I don't go out of my way to watch them as they are always on the telly. I'd also watch stuff like the Time Bandits/Goonies/Princess Bride/Legend etc whenever they are on but that's some kind of re-living my childhood type thing.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
How hard would I get scaffled in this thread saying I quite enjoy The Hobbit movies as well..? Looking forward to watching both trilogies again during my week off between Christmas and New Years!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sorry pidgeotto but I don't feel the need to be constrained by past relationships with media. For me it's about moving on and cementing new and exciting knowledge of the universe and experiencing the wide array of phenomena that comes with being a living human being or nothing.

I do however hope you enjoyed those movies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sorry pidgeotto but I don't feel the need to be constrained by past relationships with media. For me it's about moving on and cementing new and exciting knowledge of the universe and experiencing the wide array of phenomena that comes with being a living human being or nothing.

I do however hope you enjoyed those movies.
Listen mate. When I first ate squirrel surprise did I never have it again? Of course not. It was amazing and now I enjoy it at least a week. Life is about finding the best things in life and then doing them to the point where they lose any significance and you fall into a deep pit of emptiness and depression.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
LOTR definitely a tradition. Harry Potter movies probably once every 4 years or so just cause there's fecking 7 to go through. The Office every few years.

This year I finally got my fiancee to fall in love with LOTR. She was a misguided hater, secret was just do an edible before hand and split them up into halves since she can't sit through a 3-4 hour movie. Worth it all the same.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Listen mate. When I first ate squirrel surprise did I never have it again? Of course not. It was amazing and now I enjoy it at least a week. Life is about finding the best things in life and then doing them to the point where they lose any significance and you fall into a deep pit of emptiness and depression.
And this is why you got my vote for funniest poster of the year :)

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I rotate each xmas between Star Wars, LotR and Harry Potter.

This year was also LoTR for me. Also the extended versions. I don’t mind the hobbit movies so I watch them too

Widow

I've watched LOTR at least once a month for what seems forever.

I usually play it in the back ground whilst studying but then end up fixed on the film. Easily my all time favorite movies.

AjaxNL

I’ve watched the LOTR trilogy so many times since they first released in cinema’s, I find myself a little bored while going through them again. For some reason, especially the third one so. You just know at every single moment during the movies what is going to happen next.

Wish I could unsee them and then see them again for the first time

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
marley & me. though most of the time i get pretty impatient and just end up fast forwarding to the bit where the dog dies.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’m glad this is a warm and comforting place for me to come out about my LotR watching. The Hobbit has its moments but it’s just not the same

Ralaks

I've just begun listening to the LOTR books read by Phil Dragash which is amazing. It has the score from the movies beautifully embedded into it along with effects. Went through it as well last year, it's just fantastic for commuting.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Muppets Christmas Carol.

I’m a miserable sod that hates musicals and I sing every fecking work to the top of my lungs because it’s one of the greatest films of all time.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I used to watch Jinnah, a movie about the founder of Pakistan, every year on our independence day. For a relatively low budget movie, a surprisingly balanced and great movie led by Christopher Lee.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The threads Dec Pidge will start to get votes is nauseating.

Transformers
Bad Boys
Blade
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series

AaronRedDevil

Yep. Absolutely. I just finished watching the LOTR extended edition with a mate 2 weeks ago. It will never not be the greatest set of movies ever made.

Volumiza

I’m glad this is a warm and comforting place for me to come out about my LotR watching. The Hobbit has its moments but it’s just not the same
The main problem with the hobbits is that PJ seemed to rip up what was so good about LOTR. The tone of the film.

The colour pallet and general feel of the films in LOTR was quite serious, gritty and real. The hobbit was so much brighter and less believable from the off. The dwarves were actually quite fecking irritating too, especially the Nesbit one.

In LOTR, there were only a handful of scenes I didn't like over the 3 films. Peter Jackson just cant resist sometimes. The wobbling bridge in section in the first one, Legolas sliding down the steps on the shield, Legolas taking down the Olyphant singlehandedly etc. Little scenes like that feck with the believability and in the Hobbit, there were loads of scenes like that.

Saying that though, I can watch them all again and again, my favourite way is to have a day off work and put the first one on and watch them all back to back. I may regret this waste of time when I'm gasping my last breath in a few years but I love doing it :)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Lord of The Rings
Harry Potter
Kill Bill
Gladiator
The Last Samurai
Nolan’s Batman trilogy
Groundhog Day
Home Alone

Those are basically my Christmas movies.

Volumiza

Oh, Planes, Trains and Automobiles ... without fail, every Christmas and even a cheeky viewing during the year. Love that film, never gets tired.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I enjoyed the books when I read them but I wouldn't sit through those films again if you paid me, especially the third one.

I was getting uncomfortable in my seat in the Cinema when the first of the fade out/black out/white outs happened and was thoroughly bored by the end. Funnily enough, I enjoyed the ending of the book. I agree on the Hobbit films. I only got as far as the Dwarves doing the dishes and I turned it off.

I don't really have movies I'd watch repeatedly like that though apart from the Snapper and the Commitments. I don't go out of my way to watch them as they are always on the telly. I'd also watch stuff like the Time Bandits/Goonies/Princess Bride/Legend etc whenever they are on but that's some kind of re-living my childhood type thing.
Yeah I feel the same about the LOTR movies. I've watched the fellowship multiple times but not a big fan of the second or third ones.
I'll reread the books forever, probably my favourite book series ever.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I’ve watched the LOTR trilogy so many times since they first released in cinema’s, I find myself a little bored while going through them again. For some reason, especially the third one so. You just know at every single moment during the movies what is going to happen next.

Wish I could unsee them and then see them again for the first time
Agreed and in my opinion it's because of the battles, great for first time viewing but the more often you watch battles over and over again the less appealing they become. Meanwhile I could watch the fellowship travel through various landscapes for hours, hence the first one being my favorite because it offers the most in terms of storyline and introduction into middle earth.
Also, the more the overall story progresses the more miserable the overall atmosphere gets (understandable given the storyline) which in my opinion also is a turn off for rewatching. I love the movies but I kinda have better use for my time than watching Frodo whine about his misery like a drug addict over and over again.

Tarrou

I'm not sure I finished all the LOTR movies, I definitely didn't watch all the Hobbit movies

I liked the books but the movies bored me to tears

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The main problem with the hobbits is that PJ seemed to rip up what was so good about LOTR. The tone of the film.

The colour pallet and general feel of the films in LOTR was quite serious, gritty and real. The hobbit was so much brighter and less believable from the off. The dwarves were actually quite fecking irritating too, especially the Nesbit one.

In LOTR, there were only a handful of scenes I didn't like over the 3 films. Peter Jackson just cant resist sometimes. The wobbling bridge in section in the first one, Legolas sliding down the steps on the shield, Legolas taking down the Olyphant singlehandedly etc. Little scenes like that feck with the believability and in the Hobbit, there were loads of scenes like that.

Saying that though, I can watch them all again and again, my favourite way is to have a day off work and put the first one on and watch them all back to back. I may regret this waste of time when I'm gasping my last breath in a few years but I love doing it :)
Making TLOTR seemed to ruin him mentally and physically, which must have played a part in him relying on CGI at every given opoortunity.

He only reluctantly took on The Hobbit when GDT dropped out to delays over funding, so the passion just wasn't there. Not to mention the bloated extension of what is a relatively short story, which in itself is nowhere near as good as its sequel.

I quite liked badass Legolas though :drool:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Agreed and in my opinion it's because of the battles, great for first time viewing but the more often you watch battles over and over again the less appealing they become. Meanwhile I could watch the fellowship travel through various landscapes for hours, hence the first one being my favorite because it offers the most in terms of storyline and introduction into middle earth.
Also, the more the overall story progresses the more miserable the overall atmosphere gets (understandable given the storyline) which in my opinion also is a turn off for rewatching. I love the movies but I kinda have better use for my time than watching Frodo whine about his misery like a drug addict over and over again.
I’m the same. I might even cheat and fast forward through battles or just ’meh’ action sequences even though that’s what some people might enjoy most. The first one is my jam.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Legolas running up the collapsing blocks was particularly suspect :lol:

Blood Mage

I always thought The Fellowship of the Ring was a level above the other two films. Probably because there was minimal CGI and the effort and craft that went into it was more noticeable. The most time spent in The Shire of any of the films too, such a gorgeous place.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I always thought The Fellowship of the Ring was a level above the other two films. Probably because there was minimal CGI and the effort and craft that went into it was more noticeable. The most time spent in The Shire of any of the films too, such a gorgeous place.
It was my favourite book of the three as well - probably the easiest to read and follow but very descriptive without being as heavy as the other two.

The middle book I always found the slowest to get through for some reason.