Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah, 2nd book is great as well. 3rd is fine and not shit. Disagree with you there.
I found 2nd okayish/good, 3rd very bad (almost unreadable), and 4th had potential but it was a vehicle of Herbert philosophizing, rather than a novel. Stopped after that.

Morpheus 7

Skeptical, like to think that it would be good but just think it will be stretched out and watered down. It really has little risk in a business sense, people will watch it just like they did for them Hobbit movies. Everyone will watch it, wish more interesting material could be covered that we haven't seen. Nearly finished The Shining, talk about the film being different from the book. I think that could be an amazing 8 episode show. The film is amazing but really misrepresents the characters and material. It goes so much deeper, some amazing tense scenes left out. I think it could be gripping visually.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
It won't be the Silmarillion as the rights for that have been sold to someone already ( rumour is New line and warner brothers ) Rumour doing the rounds is it will be completely new material set between the hobbit and the fellowship of the ring.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It won't be the Silmarillion as the rights for that have been sold to someone already ( rumour is New line and warner brothers ) Rumour doing the rounds is it will be completely new material set between the hobbit and the fellowship of the ring.
Would be a bit shit, that. Who is even in line to be writing it?

Revan

Assumptionman
Can something interesting happen there? Most likely, Amazon just want to cash on the name of the Lord of the Rings.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Would be a bit shit, that. Who is even in line to be writing it?
Aye, it's been done with Hobbit and Lotr. If they can't do 1st Age with Silmarillion then do the 2nd Age. 3rd Age has been done to death now. They'd also need to recast characters unless they're willing to pay wages for Orlando Bloom and Co.

Fingeredmouse

They could do Aragorn's hunt for Gollum I guess...maybe all the Angmar stuff and the fall of the Dunedain? That would be something they would have reasonable free reign on.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I'm skeptical, like some on here are.

I have a bad feeling that in attempts to milk the cow, they're gonna kill it entirely. I really hope they don't feck up the LOTR legacy.

Would like spin offs pre Hobbit, or between Hobbit and FOTR.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm skeptical, like some on here are.

I have a bad feeling that in attempts to milk the cow, they're gonna kill it entirely. I really hope they don't feck up the LOTR legacy.

Would like spin offs pre Hobbit, or between Hobbit and FOTR.
They cannot kill LOTR legacy. Both the books and the movies are still there, and they will continue being amazing. If the show sucks, we just won't watch it.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
They cannot kill LOTR legacy. Both the books and the movies are still there, and they will continue being amazing. If the show sucks, we just won't watch it.
Everything LOTR related so far has been pretty good, even though The Hobbit trilogy was underwhelming. I just don't want dirt on that record, if it makes any sense.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They could do Aragorn's hunt for Gollum I guess...maybe all the Angmar stuff and the fall of the Dunedain? That would be something they would have reasonable free reign on.
The Angmar war would be kind of cool.

Didn't some low budget production team already do the hunt for Gollum? Edit: It was literally called The Hunt for Gollum lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_for_Gollum

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...tv-series-nobody-has-stamina-amazon?CMP=fb_gu

Most worrying of all, however, is the news that the new series isn’t going to be based on anything JRR Tolkien wrote. It will be a prequel that ditches the canon in order to explore the events between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, events so dull that Tolkien didn’t bother committing them to paper.
:lol:

The article is obviously massively knee jerk but I agree with the core argument. They need to stop milking the era that is directly connected with the LOTR storyline. The hobbit movies were already a massive failure because they tried to get three movies out of 200 pages.
Like others said, pick something out of the Silmarillion and build around that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Get the rights of some books, do something totally different from those books. It makes sense.

Why they just don't do the Silmarillion? Enough source material, and enough room to change things and add new things.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...tv-series-nobody-has-stamina-amazon?CMP=fb_gu

:lol:

The article is obviously massively knee jerk but I agree with the core argument. They need to stop milking the era that is directly connected with the LOTR storyline. The hobbit movies were already a massive failure because they tried to get three movies out of 200 pages.
Like others said, pick something out of the Silmarillion and build around that.
I read this article earlier today and it’s, well, crap.

He’s off his rocker if he truly believes there won’t be a legion of fans queuing up to watch this.

Didn’t they gross nearly 3 billion? Whether the films sucked or not, financially (and after all, that’s all Amazon will be interested in) they were a massive success.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
https://www.tor.com/2017/11/15/how-would-you-cast-the-lord-of-the-rings-for-television/

Hope they don't ruin the LOTR universe with multiculturalism crap. I mean, a black Aragorn, a Chineese Samwise and an arabic Boromir, seriously? What's with the silly idea of placing races where they don't belong just for the sake of it? if anything it's pure racism.

Could you imagine a well made tale of Samurais with tall, blonde Nords as main characters? Or middle-easterns as Eskimos?

PS: i know the article is just a wind up but still, I wouldn't like this series to go down that route but wouldn't surprise me if it would. After all it's how the market works for bigger productions, sadly.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
https://www.tor.com/2017/11/15/how-would-you-cast-the-lord-of-the-rings-for-television/

Hope they don't ruin the LOTR universe with multiculturalism crap. I mean, a black Aragorn, a Chineese Samwise and an arabic Boromir, seriously? What's with the silly idea of placing races where they don't belong just for the sake of it? if anything it's pure racism.

Could you imagine a well made tale of Samurais with tall, blonde Nords as main characters? Or middle-easterns as Eskimos?

PS: i know the article is just a wind up but still, I wouldn't like this series to go down that route but wouldn't surprise me if it would. After all it's how the market works for bigger productions, sadly.
That list makes me vomit.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
According to Rhys-Davies, the people making the show “are so utterly unprincipled and greedy for money” that Tolkien must be “spinning in his grave.”

Sounds great. :nervous:

wr8_utd

:'(
I just find it bizzare that Amazon has gotten into TV-production. It's like if Subway started renting out cars
The way they're diversifying, it's not suprising at all.

PS: Even Apple is getting into TV production. They outbid Netflix for a Jennifer Anniston show.

)_(

This will 100% happen. It started in the hobbit trilogy, an awful cinematic experience, with that stupid lovestory between elf and dwarf. Main stream media is all about political correctness nowadays, look at Ghostbusters, Star Wars etc., the list could go on endlessly. Political correctness is inseparable intertwined with feminism and multiculturalism, therefor we will see a lot of implausible story telling and characters.
Pretty sure this series can't even come close to the original trilogy, which already declined in itself. The hobbit was basically a shitshow, where Tolkiens merit was pissed on. Hated the films.

Just looked at the complete list, makes me want to vomit immediately. I have nothing against multiculturalism and even the thought of implementing it into main stream media, but please for God's sake don't implement that shit into storylines where it completely feels made up for the sake of it and implausable as feck; stop ruining existing stories, make up your own.
Yes because in a world with dwarves, elves, hobbits, dragons, orks a nonwhite person or a woman(doing things) would really be the most implausible thing. Though, of course, we can have nonwhite characters as long as they're evil that sure does fit with the storytelling of Tolkien's world.

Spoony

The People's President

They're from a fictional world whereas samurais were Japanese and Eskimos are...well...Innuit. That said Tarzan king of the African jungle is white so I suspect anything goes eh.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yes because in a world with dwarves, elves, hobbits, dragons, orks a nonwhite person or a woman(doing things) would really be the most implausible thing. Though, of course, we can have nonwhite characters as long as they're evil that sure does fit with the storytelling of Tolkien's world.
How about we just leave Tolkien's world, warts and all, as it is? Or if it's too racist or Eurocentric for modern sensibilities (a legitimate POV), just leave it alone altogether and find an alternative series to butcher?

ivaldo

I think anyone with half a brain who has read the original material can figure out what part of the world, and what era, middle earth is influenced by. It’s absolute as fecking stupid as it was to white wash the last air bender.

)_(

How about we just leave Tolkien's world, warts and all, as it is? Or if it's too racist or Eurocentric for modern sensibilities (a legitimate POV), just leave it alone altogether and find an alternative series to butcher?
Why though?

)_(

I think anyone with half a brain who has read the original material can figure out what part of the world, and what era, middle earth is influenced by. It’s absolute as fecking stupid as it was to white wash the last air bender.
Why, in the year of our lord 2017, do people still come up with some shit about how this or that show was influenced by a time period or area where there were only white people in existence. Somehow y'all can imagine dwarves and orks and elves existing in this fictionalised medieval europe of yours but certainly no non white person ever set foot on the shores of europe ever during that time (unless they're evil), no non white people can be added cause that would just be too unrealistic and jarring. Like do you honestly not realise how dumb that sounds? That was a rhetorical question, going by the comments in this thread y'all really do not know how dumb this sounds. It legit doesn't matter what time period it was or wasn't based on as we are adapting it in the 2000s, and a lot of people have developed further than "hur durrr non white people in possibly medieval european setting *does not compute*". Thankfully. Clearly not all of us have.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
:rolleyes:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Somehow y'all can imagine dwarves and orks and elves existing in this fictionalised medieval europe of yours but certainly no non white person ever set foot on the shores of europe ever during that time (unless they're evil), no non white people can be added cause that would just be too unrealistic and jarring
We can imagine the mythical creatures and beings because Tolkien described them (expertly) for us, in a way that has given joy to millions, no matter how problematic it all might seem in today's context. The world he crafted is what it is, no need to butcher a classic work of literature.

@User 72192 great post, sums up my thoughts.

ivaldo

Why, in the year of our lord 2017, do people still come up with some shit about how this or that show was influenced by a time period or area where there were only white people in existence. Somehow y'all can imagine dwarves and orks and elves existing in this fictionalised medieval europe of yours but certainly no non white person ever set foot on the shores of europe ever during that time (unless they're evil), no non white people can be added cause that would just be too unrealistic and jarring. Like do you honestly not realise how dumb that sounds? That was a rhetorical question, going by the comments in this thread y'all really do not know how dumb this sounds. It legit doesn't matter what time period it was or wasn't based on as we are adapting it in the 2000s, and a lot of people have developed further than "hur durrr non white people in possibly medieval european setting *does not compute*". Thankfully. Clearly not all of us have.
because, you know, it is influenced by it?

Speaking of sounding dumb, thats the second time you’ve called them ’orks’. Quick tip: If you’re going to get into a conversation about the importance of the source material, then make sure you actually know what is it first. It isn’t difficult. The books reflect quite strongly the world when they were written, so stating true to the source material is important.

You said, and I paraphrase, that non white people are all evil in middle earth, care to elaborate?

Thats great it is 2017, well done. Perhaps we should give Legolas a sniper rifle too? Or make Frodo a regional sales manager who travels to Mordor in a Vauxhall Zafira? After all we are modernising it for the 2000s, right?

Good try, I gave you an example of the complete opposite in the very post you quoted. The last air bender was rightly criticised for casting white actors and actresses in a fictional world with clear Asian influence, China more specifically. Are those people who argued that regressive too?

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Lord of the Rings TV show will be most expensive series in history

The Lord of The Rings TV show will be the most expensive series in history.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the upcoming Amazon series is expected to have a $1bn budget.

The Lord of The Rings film franchise is one of the highest-earning series in history, grossing an estimated $2bn worldwide.

Before The Lord of The Rings TV series, Netflix's The Crown held the top spot for having a generous budget of $100m.

The Amazon series was confirmed last November and has already been given a multi-season order.

A $250m rights deal was won by the Tolkien estate, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema against Netflix, under the condition five seasons were created.

The contract also demands that the show must go into production within two years.

The upcoming show will chronicle the events before the first of the three Lord of The Rings books, "The Fellowship Of The Ring."

While the original film's focus on the war to destroy the One Ring, this plot line will not be portrayed in the TV series according to Entertainment Weekly.

The Lord of The Rings fantasy series was originally penned by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The final Lord Of The Rings film "The King Returns" received 11 Oscars, winning awards for all its nominations.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-jackson-tolkien-most-expensive-a8292196.html

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
'Lord Of The Rings' TV Series Will Reportedly Follow Young Aragon

A few months ago, Amazon announced plans for a series adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels. Today, it has emerged that the TV remake could be focused on the life of young Aragon, the character played by Viggo Mortensen in Peter Jackson's film trilogy.

Despite the considerable length of the three films, the trilogy never had the time to explore Aragon's past in any great depth. It was Twitter account The One Ring that first dished up the rumour that has since been shared by multiple publications, including Slash Film. While Amazon has yet to comment on the exciting possibility, it's not that far-fetched considering the platform was set to visit the years before the Lord of the Rings.

This adventure into the past of Middle Earth would allow the series to stretch out the mythology of the famous trilogy, while also exploring new corners of it. Just for starters, we'd like to see an exploration of the kingdom of Arnor, Aragon's arrival among the Dúnedain and the start of his friendship with Gandalf. Basically, there's a lot to work with – especially considering Aragon was said to be about 87 years old at the time of the events of the Lord of the Rings.

As Slash Film points out, the reports specifies that only season one is set to focus on Aragon, suggesting that future seasons could centre around another character in an anthology-style approach. As a reminder, the platform has already signed up for at least five seasons.

While Ian McKellen has said he'd be interested in reprising his role as the wizard, it'd be pretty tricky for Viggo Mortensen to play the part of a young Aragon (given that he's almost 60 years old). With Peter Jackson reportedly in negotiations to join the series, it looks as though the platform's priority will be finding a new cast to live up to the original, as well as a showrunner to give life to the vast universe. Good luck...

http://www.konbini.com/us/entertainment/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-reportedly-follow-young-aragon/

Skills

Snitch
I don't know how they can top the sound track from the movies. fecking immense.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
'Lord Of The Rings' TV Series Will Reportedly Follow Young Aragon

A few months ago, Amazon announced plans for a series adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels. Today, it has emerged that the TV remake could be focused on the life of young Aragon, the character played by Viggo Mortensen in Peter Jackson's film trilogy.

Despite the considerable length of the three films, the trilogy never had the time to explore Aragon's past in any great depth. It was Twitter account The One Ring that first dished up the rumour that has since been shared by multiple publications, including Slash Film. While Amazon has yet to comment on the exciting possibility, it's not that far-fetched considering the platform was set to visit the years before the Lord of the Rings.

This adventure into the past of Middle Earth would allow the series to stretch out the mythology of the famous trilogy, while also exploring new corners of it. Just for starters, we'd like to see an exploration of the kingdom of Arnor, Aragon's arrival among the Dúnedain and the start of his friendship with Gandalf. Basically, there's a lot to work with – especially considering Aragon was said to be about 87 years old at the time of the events of the Lord of the Rings.

As Slash Film points out, the reports specifies that only season one is set to focus on Aragon, suggesting that future seasons could centre around another character in an anthology-style approach. As a reminder, the platform has already signed up for at least five seasons.

While Ian McKellen has said he'd be interested in reprising his role as the wizard, it'd be pretty tricky for Viggo Mortensen to play the part of a young Aragon (given that he's almost 60 years old). With Peter Jackson reportedly in negotiations to join the series, it looks as though the platform's priority will be finding a new cast to live up to the original, as well as a showrunner to give life to the vast universe. Good luck...

http://www.konbini.com/us/entertainment/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-reportedly-follow-young-aragon/
Aragorn was also Thorongil, advisor to Echthelion, Denethor's father and worked with King Thengel, Theoden's father. The guy lived like 300 hundred years, so there's a ton of material to work with. Key to that is they have plenty of leeway to work with stories as none of these story arcs are clearly detailed by Tolkien.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Confirmed to be 5 seasons long. At a budget of $1 billion, if each season were to be anywhere between 10-15 episodes long, they'd have between $13-20 million for each episode. In comparison, the Battle of Blackwater (GOT) was estimated to cost up to $8 million.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Lord of the Rings TV show will be most expensive series in history

The Lord of The Rings TV show will be the most expensive series in history.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the upcoming Amazon series is expected to have a $1bn budget.

The Lord of The Rings film franchise is one of the highest-earning series in history, grossing an estimated $2bn worldwide.

Before The Lord of The Rings TV series, Netflix's The Crown held the top spot for having a generous budget of $100m.

The Amazon series was confirmed last November and has already been given a multi-season order.

A $250m rights deal was won by the Tolkien estate, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema against Netflix, under the condition five seasons were created.

The contract also demands that the show must go into production within two years.

The upcoming show will chronicle the events before the first of the three Lord of The Rings books, "The Fellowship Of The Ring."

While the original film's focus on the war to destroy the One Ring, this plot line will not be portrayed in the TV series according to Entertainment Weekly.

The Lord of The Rings fantasy series was originally penned by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The final Lord Of The Rings film "The King Returns" received 11 Oscars, winning awards for all its nominations.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-jackson-tolkien-most-expensive-a8292196.html
Is that a mistake or did it have a different name in the US? Sounds terrible.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sounds like a LOTR x Star Wars porn crossover parody with Yodi being chief protagonist.