g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Manchester United positivity thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Positivity:

1) The reality is that this squad of players did finish second last year and were statistically the fourth best team in the league. And even as much of a shitshow as this season has been, they still aren't that far off fourth. It's not that big a leap to get back into the CL places next season.

2) Rangnick has actually had the mispleasure of managing this squad of players for several months and as bad as it has been even he only thinks it'll take about three transfer windows to correct things. Relative to the general mood on this forum, that's an upbeat take.

3) This will be the first managerial appointment under our new CEO and under a DOF system. Given how the last decade went under Ed Woodward and no DOF structure, it would be a struggle for this new set-up not to offer some degree of improvement. And they've had this entire period under Rangnick to take stock of the situation fully.

KeanoMagicHat

It actually wouldn’t surprise me to see the likes of Maguire and Wan Bissaka have good seasons under a competent manager. They had two quite good seasons before this (contrary to popular belief) and they’ve had an absolute stinker this season but one bad season does not make a player. Maguire in particular is not worth 80m obviously but he’s not a complete and utter dud like he’s portrayed as, he can play well for England and has played well for United too at times.

In fact there are several players in the squad that are better than they are currently showing. Let 10 go or whatever that have contracts up or want to leave, get in 4-5 new hungry players and don’t be surprised for said players to get back to their original form.

croadyman

It actually wouldn’t surprise me to see the likes of Maguire and Wan Bissaka have good seasons under a competent manager. They had two quite good seasons before this (contrary to popular belief) and they’ve had an absolute stinker this season but one bad season does not make a player. Maguire in particular is not worth 80m obviously but he’s not a complete and utter dud like he’s portrayed as, he can play well for England and has played well for United too at times.

In fact there are several players in the squad that are better than they are currently showing. Let 10 go or whatever that have contracts up or want to leave, get in 4-5 new hungry players and don’t be surprised for said players to get back to their original form.
AWB should never have been signed because needed someone who can offer something both ways

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Looking forward to the long process that will hopefully get United playing good front football and competiting again. It'll take a few seasons mind.

dove

Rangnick came in with high promise to lay foundation for us to play modern entertaining high intense gegenpressing. He was known as a man to keep to his philosophy and was very stubborn about it. Fast forward 3 months, the plan was completely abandon.
Well, we simply don't have the squad for gegenpress football especially with Ronaldo in the team, who can hardly run anymore. I have also never understood the extreme overhyping of Rangnick here and amongst United fans in general. Daddy of gegenpress or not, his managerial career has been very mediocre.

Lentwood

Too many fingers in the pie can spoil it. It's hard for all to agree together on the players that we want. I think the manager should have complete control of incomings and outgoings.
He works with the players every day, so should know who and where we need to strengthen. We should not bring in or keep players who are just for commercial reasons. We need to concentrate on the footballing side of things more.
Managers are not always incentivised to do what is best for the club long-term though - which is why they rarely get control nowadays

wolvored

The excitement we are finally getting an up to date in playing style and winning manager.

Chairman Steve

This will be the first managerial appointment under our new CEO and under a DOF system. Given how the last decade went under Ed Woodward and no DOF structure, it would be a struggle for this new set-up not to offer some degree of improvement. And they've had this entire period under Rangnick to take stock of the situation fully.
Thats the main one for me. Since Woodward announced he was leaving, the decision making at board level seems to have improved somewhat and I’m glad that there’s finally going to be football directors, technical directors and consultants like Ralf at the club.

The Woodward-*Insert Manager Here* system did not work. It’s too outdated and Woodward has shown he is no Adriano Galliani or Florentino Perez, and Sir Alex Ferguson/Arsene Wenger managers have gone extinct. Arnold’s got a pretty low bar to reach to be considered a succes and he’s already on course to do that so far.

Red00012

The roof hasn’t leaked in a while and summer is coming so less chance of rainfall to put pressure on said roof

Yakuza_devils

looking at the bright side, we may have some players ready for ETH high intensity attacking football.
It may not be at highest level but we can develop from there.

GK= DDG is good enough playing with his feet but limited compared to Allison and Ederson. But he has saved us time and time again with his world class saves. Long term we shall upgrade.

LB = Shaw. With the right manager and motivation, he is more than capable to be playing at very high level both defensive and attacking game.
RB = *New signing required*
CB = Varane is capable of playing high line/high intensity football. Lindelof is ok to partner Varane and Maguire is a capable backup.

CM = *New signing required*. A world class CM is required playing alongside one of Fred/McT/Hannibal
AM = Bruno is capable and will develop further under the right system. Currently, he is trying too hard to make things happen all by himself.
LW = Sancho has been world class for Dortmund and once he get used to PL he will be right up there.
RW = *New signing required*. With Amad, Rashford, Elanga and hopefully Greenwood as backup.

ST = *New signing required*. With Rashford, Elanga and hopefully Greenwood as backup.

Hence, we need 4 new signings which is a realistic number in the summer. However, the top priority should be CM and ST. And then RW and RB.

EtH

I am absolutely positive that we are shite.

BlueHaze

I will bump this thread once the summer window is over. If most of the dross are shipped out and some decent signings are made accompanied by the arrival of our own Pep Guardiola is my idol then I will be positive that a fresh start is imminent. But for now, feck the lot of those impostors who are embarrassing our shirt every weekend.

Roboc7

We are going to get a new manager and we should be attempting to move away from the pragmatic, counter attacking of Jose and Ole.

Other than I don’t see much to be excited about, it’s a huge job to turn this around and it’s going to take years, there simply isn’t a quick fix. Have no confidence there are people in the structure to support the new manager, much more likely to be a hindrance.

AndySmith1990

looking at the bright side, we may have some players ready for ETH high intensity attacking football.

GK= DDG is good enough playing with his feet but limited compared to Allison and Ederson. But he has saved us time and time again with his world class saves. Long term we shall upgrade.

LB = Shaw. With the right manager and motivation, he is more than capable to be playing at very high level both defensive and attacking game.
CB = Varane is capable of playing high line/high intensity football. Lindelof is ok to partner Varane and Maguire is a capable backup.

CM = *New signing required*. A world class CM is required playing alongside one of Fred/McT/Hannibal
AM = Bruno is capable and will develop further under the right system. Currently, he is trying too hard to make things happen all by himself.
LW = Sancho has been world class for Dortmund and once he get used to PL he will be right up there.
RW = *New signing required*. With Amad, Rashford, Elanga and hopefully Greenwood as backup.

ST = *New signing required*. With Rashford, Elanga and hopefully Greenwood as backup.

Hence, we need 4 new signings which is a realistic number in the summer. However, the top priority should be CM and ST. And then RW and RB.
Hopefully Greenwood as backup?

croadyman

Need 5 because DM as well whereas CM is more of a Pogba replacement

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For the first time, the fans are in una inous agreement that it's the players and they need to be fecked off.

tomaldinho1

Looking forward to seeing a lot of new faces and hopefully the back of a few who have overstayed their welcome.

I have no idea of ETH is even that good given how limited his career has been but he’ll legitimately be the first hands on coach who has CL experience and isn’t semi retired/past it we’ve employed since SAF.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we go for someone like Ten Hag then that's a positive to the future whether he is successful here or not.

We can't be surprised at signing Moyes, Van gaal, Jose, Ole, Rangnick and then have minimal success.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
To be honest, I doubt that he will play for us again. But he has not being charged in court yet (stand to be corrected) and there is a slim hope things could turned out differently.
If he is not charged in court he will absolutely not - and should absolutely not - come anywhere near our squad again. He can go and feck himself, so no I certainly don't hope the prick returns as a backup and I'd wager 99.99999% of the posters on this forum would agree.

feck him.

On the positive side of things, we can probably field a youth team that would bear our current starting eleven on a good day....hopefully they kick on a bit. Surely to feck Pellestri or Diallo becomes half-decent also, we spent enough on them :lol:.

Marwood

I still believe a top manager making consistently good decisions can get us back to the top. Get the right guy and there's enough support from the club to allow it to happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Reasons to be positive
  • Due to age/contract situations, we'll have a big clear out this summer
  • Ten Hag will likely come in, finally a forward thinking coach and someone who will want to build us as a footballing side
  • We have a good chunk of players who can be very useful for him but need to compliment them with the right signings (ST, DM, RW mainly, probably goalkeeper after them)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Hopefully Greenwood as backup?
No. Never. I’d rather see him join Liverpool and finish top scorer in the league for a decade and win 5 league titles.

The evidence needed for me to accept him in a United shirt again is higher than Snoop Dogg at a THC Festival.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The excitement we are finally getting an up to date in playing style and winning manager.
Yeah, that and the structure behind the scenes is looking less prehistoric (even if there are still question marks over the roles certain people will actually be playing).

I'm hoping we really clear the decks under a team who have a clear vision of the players and style we need to be putting into place. I think it's possible for us to start to look decent in fairly quick time next year if we put our faith in the manager and his team.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Very much agree with you on that. Same for Shaw and hopefully Rashford.
Just look at how they have performed for a proper manager with England.
Maguire has been much better since playing for England recently.
In my view, a big mistake not to have appointed Southgate.

dutchred

We have the best youth team since the class of 92. Get a few experienced players in and with the right manager we could be on top again within a few years.

Basa1987

We have to hope that ETH coming on board indicates more of a long term vision rather than the quick fix of Conte. I'd have been much more downcast if it had been the latter.

With everyone rightly singing Liverpool and City's praises, people seem to be forgetting that Liverpool went through similar or even worse lows (they got thrashed 6-1 by bloody Stoke) but one good managerial appointment and some time later, they are unrecognizable.

Ultimately, we have to hope that good decisions are being made (or our blind squirrels finally found a good nut). Else it's pointless following a team expecting doomsday at every turn.

yipthatman

Well it certainly is darkest before the dawn. This has to be as low as get's. Surely the only way is up now.

Drainy

Youth Cup final to look forward to. New manager soon, and hopefully seen the last of a lot of unlikeable players.

Fingers crossed we'll have decent football again soon.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
It can get worse. There's still midtable, bottom half table, relegation, administration. These are legit goals the Glazers can strive towards.

Lentwood

There's one HUGE positive that people seem to be missing - Ed Woodward has left. Forget about the Glazers, they stopped being the main problem in about 2013/14 when they started to release funds for transfers again.

In previous seasons, we've heralded the arrival of new managers or new players as the start of a new dawn, forgetting that it's all irrelevant whilst possibly the most incompetent man in the football league still runs our club and has ultimate responsibility for football operations.

Almost every decision we have made over the last decade has been wrong as a direct consequence of Ed Woodward's complete lack of understanding of the game. What we effectively did, and it blows my mind, is take an accountant from a consulting firm and let him run footballing operations at the most successful club in England.

Ralf Rangnick hit the nail on the head when he talked yesterday about the '**** of the Manager', and how it's strange that the English press and the fans still have an obsession with 'the Head Coach'. If a club performs well, praise is lavished on the manager. If a club performs badly, the manager gets pulled apart. In reality, as RR says, the most successful clubs are those with brilliant footballing structures, people pulling the strings behind the scenes who's names you rarely see in the press.

For me, the manager is like the driver of a Formula 1 car. You might have the best 'driver' in the World, or the worst, but ultimately the car (and therefore the team who build the car) perhaps contribute to 80% of the overall success. For example, Lewis Hamilton might be the best driver, but he just can't win in a Williams. Jenson Button might never have been close to being 'the best driver', but he can win in a far superior car.

This is now the case in football. I guarantee, 100%, absolutely no doubt in my mind, that neither Pep nor Klopp would have been successful at United unless they were able to convince the Board to restructure the footballing operation around them...which would have been difficult since they would have been effectively advocating that their boss move aside. As with Formula 1, the manager is perhaps just 15/20% of a modern football club. A bad manager can ruin a good group of players and a good manager can get a bit extra out of a poor/mediocre bunch of players....but you can't work miracles consistently over a long period of time.

So this is why I am now positive about the future. RR has identified the issues many of us knew we had. Lack of direction behind the scenes, lack of support for the manager, archaic scouting system, lack of identity, scattergun approach to contracts and recruitment etc...

These issues have long been discussed on here, but never openly by the club...prior to RRs arrival.

With Woodward gone and RR advising, it can only get better. However, we need to be careful that regardless of how we perform next season, we don't fall into the trap of attributing that success or failure disproportionately to ETH.

Deery

Dreary
Hannibal looks lively as does Elanga, so hopefully youth players can come in and show us how to play football.