The Martian

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just discovered this movie, deserves its own thread after being the subject of my last one.

Due out 25th October this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_(film)

During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive.
It's been called "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" and stars Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain, Ridley Scott directing. Based on the book of the same name which was published less than a year ago. Looking forward to this already but I do have a thing for space movies right now after Interstellar.

Leg-End

The books been on my reading backlog for awhile now and like yourself I'm an absolute sucker for space movies.

Ridley has some making up to do for the dissapointment that was Prometheus, but I really do like the sound of the premise of this movie. It's great they are seemingly making a comeback in a big way, I'm still holding out hope for a Rendezvous with Rama film.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I want to read this book within the next two months. Apparently great.

Berbaclass

Just finished reading the book, was really good. Brilliant in fact. Should make a great movie, looking forward to see how they translate it onto the screen now.

Will Absolute

I'm about 100 pages in. Cracking stuff so far - best sci-fi novel I've read since Rendezvous with Rama. Quite a lot of science though (real science not made up stuff) which I found interesting, but I'm not sure technophobes would cope.

It's a great story, and has the ingredients for a great film. Cast Away on Mars, but an environment which poses a lot more challenges to the hero's ingenuity than Tom Hanks faced on his island. The story back on planet Earth should complement the Martian scenes very well. If they do it right, it'll be top notch.

Raptori

Special needs
The book is truly brilliant, can see it translating into a quality film too. Really excited for this one.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Has Sean Bean in it? Well we know that character's story arc then.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just checked who's in charge of the screenplay: Drew Goddard, whose other adaptation from book to film was World War Z. Given what I think of that film, this doesn't fill me with confidence, but then again the source wasn't easy to adapt to cinema (would've been better for a TV series).

Leg-End

To be fair I think the World War Z script was butchered multiple times before, during and after filming. Goddard was brought in to do re-writes so it's not really all on him.

Berbaclass

I loved the book, will definitely read it again.

Hopefully the movie comes close to doing it justice!

Rooney in Paris

Scout
To be fair I think the World War Z script was butchered multiple times before, during and after filming. Goddard was brought in to do re-writes so it's not really all on him.
Ah ok, thanks for that precision. In any case, as I said, I don't really think he could have done much more, scripting that book for a film must've been a nightmare. Would've made a great TV show though.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I read this book in 3 days which is a record for me. Looking forward to this.

Raptori

Special needs
Took me about 7/8 hours :lol:

Couldn't put it down!
Same, I read both this and Ready Player One within about 24 hours, including time spent asleep and at work. Not quite sure how that happened. :confused:

Think I enjoyed RPO a little more, but it's close. Sadly that'll probably never be made into a film, too many licensing issues :(

botond

the book was great , hope they dont feck up the movie . there is a hour long explanation video by the author about the time frame of the book the and about the accuracy of the orbits in space and time and according to nasa guys it all checks out.fascinating stuff .

Leg-End

This could be Ridley's return, after reading the book I find it hard to see how anyone could feck it up to be honest.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How long is the book? I've got quite a bit to read at the moment but if it's not a mammoth one I'll stick on my to read list.

Raptori

Special needs
How long is the book? I've got quite a bit to read at the moment but if it's not a mammoth one I'll stick on my to read list.
Our copy is 360 pages, and it's a fast read - I blew through it in about 6-8 hours or so.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Just wondering whether there's something inherently wrong with Matt Damon that makes people want to abandon him on extraterrestrial planets?