Television The Mentalist

Brophs

The One and Only
I saw the vid the other night but can't seem to find it now. It was on Youtube. I'll keep looking.

As for Van Pelt:

One of the rumours is that RJ is her father. She's got red hair and PJ told her he thought she had a "troubled past". Her dad was also a football coach who apparently coached loads of FBI/CBI people. Do you remember scrawled on the wall when the prisoner died "he is man" which some people have suggested is "Heisman", an American football trophy. Her ex-fiancee, McLoughlin, who was in with RJ knew her dad through football prior to meeting her.

Also there's this weird double take when they meet. She is transferred into CBI after Jane arrives.

wr8_utd

:'(
I saw the vid the other night but can't seem to find it now. It was on Youtube. I'll keep looking.

As for Van Pelt:

One of the rumours is that RJ is her father. She's got red hair and PJ told her he thought she had a "troubled past". Her dad was also a football coach who apparently coached loads of FBI/CBI people. Do you remember scrawled on the wall when the prisoner died "he is man" which some people have suggested is "Heisman", an American football trophy. Her ex-fiancee, McLoughlin, who was in with RJ knew her dad through football prior to meeting her.

Also there's this weird double take when they meet. She is transferred into CBI after Jane arrives.

That's a really really interesting theory and one that I've never thought of. That double take I don't I ever noticed because I watched that first episode on a small flight screen and wasn't paying attention :lol:

But it's certainly interesting. Oh and did you see the family picture that was in Lorelei's mothers house?

They move over it very quickly but it really looks a lot like a very ill and gaunt Stiles. I honestly thought it's him for a while but then Lisbon didn't show too much reaction and Stiles has blue eyes (i think) so I dropped the idea but it's been bugging me for a while now.

Brophs

The One and Only
That's a really really interesting theory and one that I've never thought of. That double take I don't I ever noticed because I watched that first episode on a small flight screen and wasn't paying attention :lol:

But it's certainly interesting. Oh and did you see the family picture that was in Lorelei's mothers house?

They move over it very quickly but it really looks a lot like a very ill and gaunt Stiles. I honestly thought it's him for a while but then Lisbon didn't show too much reaction and Stiles has blue eyes (i think) so I dropped the idea but it's been bugging me for a while now.
I think that's probably an odd coincidence but then I think when it is finally revealed so many of these things will end up meaning something, so who knows.

Yeah, I can't say I thought of the above, it's just bits and pieces together with what people on the net are speculating.I just hope it doesn't end up being Jane in a split personality situation.

Name Changed

weso26
I watched an odd episode of this here and there and liked it. I decided to download it, I mean buy some dvds over the last few days, and am really enjoying it.

I started on Season 2 and am 15 episodes in. It is good easy tv.

NM

One of the only shows I have time for now. The procedurals can be obvious sometimes, but the Red John episodes are usually amazing.

wr8_utd

The recent plot with Volker was quite good. Good to see a recurring villain.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Right half way through season 3 and it's a bit boring(season 3 that is).
Theory about RedJohn
Anyone else thought about that maybe there's a fightclub situation going around here with RedJohn and Jane. Jane also had sleeping issues. Also that blind girl which RedJohn stayed with, had that signature face made over her bed like Patrick has

KM

So anyone saw the finale?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Yeah, I did. Red John is a clever fecker. I was really hoping (and expecting) more progress with the Red John storyline this season, but at least it's set up nicely for next.

That episode where Jane put a toothpick in the door to see if it had been opened, and when he arrived back he could see that it had in fact been opened. Why has that been completely ignored ever since? They seemed to make a big deal out of it during the episode.

This is (as far as I remember) the first time Red John has done a kill like this - so close to Jane - and now he'll keep doing it. Also (again; as far as I remember) the first time that Red John actually managed to keep track of Jane's investigation apart from when he hacked CBI.

Bit of speculation on how he knows all the stuff
I'm guessing Red John got the status of Jane's investigation from the break-in and just kept Lorelei alive to make the tape to mess with Jane.

No idea how he knew about the happy memory though. Even if he did dig through Jane's past, how would he know this girl was a part of a happy memory?

Name Changed

weso26
Great episode.

It annoys the shit out of me that American actors can only seem to use stereotypical Irish accents that don't actually exist. Nobody talks like the two actors they had playing Irish lads.

KM

Out of the seven names,

I don't think..

Bob Kirkland is RedJohn, I think he's one of those who's been a victim of Red John earlier and he's trying to nail Red John himself.

I'm thinking more and more Jane is himself RedJohn or else there's no reasonable explanation as to how Red John got to know about Jane's happy memory. If he can read Patrick's mind, then he's literally unbeatable or maybe he's got hold of Patrick's father and tortured/hypnotised him for the memory

wr8_utd

Well that was a brilliant finale and I sort of agree with KM's theory now. It's been a popular theory on Mentalist forums for a while.

wr8_utd

However that theory was apparently shot down by Bruno Heller recently.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Interesting, I fancied myself a fan of the series from the very beginning but I've found that it's diminished in quality over the last 2 to 3 seasons. It's not just the omnipresent RedJohn that seems to be tied to everyone on the planet but even the actors, for me, have gotten far too comfortable in their role and have been dialing in mediocre scripts. At this point, I find myself just begrudgingly waiting for it to end.

KM

Well that was a brilliant finale and I sort of agree with KM's theory now. It's been a popular theory on Mentalist forums for a while.
Nothing else makes sense for me. If RedJohn could read Patrick's mind(as it's implied in the season finale) then he's unbeatable.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Well, that escalated quickly. Anyone knows if this is planned to be the last season? Seems a bit like it with that start. Didn't really expect her to come straight out when she went into the house, but didn't expect her to die really. Serves her right for not following Jane's orders though! Rest of the team definitely in danger now, which should make it pretty interesting.

NM

Well, that escalated quickly. Anyone knows if this is planned to be the last season? Seems a bit like it with that start. Didn't really expect her to come straight out when she went into the house, but didn't expect her to die really. Serves her right for not following Jane's orders though! Rest of the team definitely in danger now, which should make it pretty interesting.

Doubt she is dead. With 2 show regulars (Van Pelt and Rigsby) leaving this season, there is no way they will get rid of Lisbon.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Doubt she is dead. With 2 show regulars (Van Pelt and Rigsby) leaving this season, there is no way they will get rid of Lisbon.
You're probably right, seeing as the smiley face was drawn on her. Red John taking the piss then!

How stupid do you have to be to go inside that house under those circumstances though?

NM

You're probably right, seeing as the smiley face was drawn on her. Red John taking the piss then!

How stupid do you have to be to go inside that house under those circumstances though?

Extremely stupid - but they are going to rush the Red John plot now. Reckon it will be done halfway thru the season and try to set up new as a lot of people just want it over now.

wr8_utd

Yes I just found that out on IMDB. Heller says that the mystery and significance of Tyger Tyger will be revealed in the 4th episode.

Oh and the 8th episode of this season could be a special one. It's titled "Red John"

KM

Anyone watching the current season so far?

It's been quite good. Just watched the latest episode and it was pretty good. Two of the seven suspects are now dead.

The promo for the next episode looks amazing. I'm spoilering it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Appparently next week we find out who RJ is and he and Jane have their final showdown. This week
Jane declared that RJ was Gale Bertram, who is now on the run. But I don't think it's going to be that straightforward.

Firstly I'm not convinced all of the people who supposedly died in the explosion at Jane's house are dead. To get rid of characters like that, so quickly, isn't the Mentalist's style.

Secondly, I still think McAlllister is more likely based on his apparent phobia of pigeons, which seems to be a big clue.

I've also noticed that Van Pelt gave a few odd looks during this episode. I can see something happening with her, or her being involved, even if only indirectly.

It should be good, even though I'm not absolutely sure what way they're going to take the show once RJ is gone. I always thought catching him should be the end of the show.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
There was a point where I was sort of interested in this. But like all shows who milk their central mystery for the sake of another season, I lost interest.

Brophs

The One and Only
There was a point where I was sort of interested in this. But like all shows who milk their central mystery for the sake of another season, I lost interest.
Yeah, it had a lot of potential, but I think a lot of people are now just hanging on for the payoff. The non-RJ eps can be pretty dull at times.

KM

Appparently next week we find out who RJ is and he and Jane have their final showdown. This week
Jane declared that RJ was Gale Bertram, who is now on the run. But I don't think it's going to be that straightforward.

Firstly I'm not convinced all of the people who supposedly died in the explosion at Jane's house are dead. To get rid of characters like that, so quickly, isn't the Mentalist's style.

Secondly, I still think McAlllister is more likely based on his apparent phobia of pigeons, which seems to be a big clue.

I've also noticed that Van Pelt gave a few odd looks during this episode. I can see something happening with her, or her being involved, even if only indirectly.

It should be good, even though I'm not absolutely sure what way they're going to take the show once RJ is gone. I always thought catching him should be the end of the show.

Yes agree with your theory. No way the Mentalist is going to be so obvious.

I wanted RJ to be Partridge but it's probably McAllister.

Bertram is just the head of that Blake association

This season has been good though.

NM

Yes agree with your theory. No way the Mentalist is going to be so obvious.

I wanted RJ to be Partridge but it's probably McAllister.

Bertram is just the head of that Blake association

This season has been good though.

Yeah it's been a fun ride. I quit speculating a while ago because it seems like they are throwing in twists for the sake of it, but I kept abreast for the past few seasons. This season has finally been fun again though. I rarely watch TV shows, so this is a rare exception.

Bestie07

:lol:

What a shit episode that finally revealed Red John. Years and years of buildup, for this. All they "reveal" is the identity of Red John, which they probably though up while shooting the episode. And no insight into how Red John worked all these years like how he managed to point out the names of the seven suspects on Jane's shortlist. Nothing. Probably Bruno Heller himself realized that there was no reasonable way they could explain how Red John got that list.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
:lol:

What a shit episode that finally revealed Red John. Years and years of buildup, for this. All they "reveal" is the identity of Red John, which they probably though up while shooting the episode. And no insight into how Red John worked all these years like how he managed to point out the names of the seven suspects on Jane's shortlist. Nothing. Probably Bruno Heller himself realized that there was no reasonable way they could explain how Red John got that list.
Well, the shows not over yet. The workings of Red John could still be revealed.

I agree though, it was a bit of a let-down after such a long show. In general, the Red John hunt this entire season has felt rushed and rough, which is a shame because the episodes involving the Red John hunt used to be absolutely brilliant. How did Bertram become the main suspect again? Jane just decided it was him (I initially thought it was a bluff of some kind) and everyone went along with it despite the complete lack of evidence. I'd also assume Jane would ask some questions and what not to be completely sure the person he had was Red John (didn't he do that in the mall a few seasons back when Van Pelt was banging the FBI guy?), but he just seemed to take his word for it.

Will be interesting to see how they spend the last episodes - however many is left. Does anyone know how many episodes have been planned? All I can find is that there's at least 5 episodes left, based on this:
On the shows future I found this (sort of spoiler - you've been warned!) http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mentalist-Simon-Baker-Red-John-1073837.aspx
TV Guide Magazine: You directed the next episode, where the show leaps ahead two years. What can you tell us about it?
Baker: It's almost like a pilot for a new show. When we come back after Red John's death, Jane is somewhere in paradise. A large portion of the episode is in Spanish. Cho is now with the FBI. Rigsby and Van Pelt have their own little detective business. And Lisbon is in Washington state working as a chief of police in a podunk kind of town. The episode opens with her talking to grade-school kids about what the police do. I had so much fun with the episode. It was such a reprieve from all the tension this season.
I don't really know about that. Sounds like it could be incredibly shit, but let's see.
The upcoming episodes have completely different names from what we're used to as well to signal the new beginning.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Very lackluster reveal but then again I thought the series had lost it's way for a few seasons now. Perhaps this will indeed breathe some new life into it. I really did tire of the Red John saga as it had become Lost-esque

Brophs

The One and Only
That was piss poor. A few things need pointing out:

Firstly it was pretty apparent Bertram wasn't RJ, so that only really left McAllister. Which would have been fine but he had made something like one appearance prior to this season. They basically spent five seasons or whatever it is leaving clues and then ignored them all and said "don't worry about how it was all done". I read something from Bruno Heller, the writer, saying that once they reveal who he is they won't be revisiting it.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/24/the-mentalist-red-john-interview/

Which means all of the unanswered questions will probably remain unanswered. Off the top of my head:

-Why was there so much focus on Brett Stiles and Visualise? He was killed without a whimper in the end without telling us anything of why he was so close to the story.
-Obviously going to the Church Jane knew that RJ was McAllister, as he checks the back of the church when he walks in but, more importantly, he had a pigeon in his pocket (Which was a fecking appalling scene. Beyond idiotic). How did he know that?
-What was the "He is mar" thing about? Was it an attempt to spell "He is McAllister"? Or "He is many"?

The whole episode was a con. You can't build a mystery show up over 5 seasons and then end it in twenty minutes with a "I guess we'll never know".

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I remember an interview with Heller when the series began and they gave the impression the RJ reveal was never really in the cards else it would sorta kill the show. I understood that but I also didn't think it would feature so heavily in a Lost way where we would be turned in every direction until everyone was dizzy. I agree it was a cop out and pretty lazy in terms of writing but it's network TV too so I can't say I expected much more than that. Just makes their dizzying storylines a bid more stupid in retrospect.

Seems they don't know whether to make it a weekly whodunnit sort of series or focus on some ridiculously omnipresent & sinister threat that never gets told intelligently

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
People forget the RedJohn nonsense. Van Pelt is leaving. She kept me interested in some of the shit episodes. We are going to have a Mentalist without any eyecandy. Lisbon is average.

twitter thread suggester
Yeah Psych are gonna have a field day with this White Collar rip off'ing.