g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Modern Draft: R1 - Isotope vs Boris

At players career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

....................................... Team Isotope .................................................................................................. Team Boris ........................................................

Team Isotope

4-3-1-2 Aggressive midfield diamond.

My team has players with high degree of flexibility. Suarez and Eto’o are an extremely dynamic striker duo, providing runs in behind the defence between the center-backs and the fullbacks, or move to the wings. Both also have the abilities to work in tight situations.

Mata, the free role playmaker, will roam to the front or to the wing as necessary. The dynamic movements of his teammates, creates good platform for him on finding space to score, or providing quick layoffs to the runs of Suarez, Eto’o, or Koke.

To support the aggressive pressing from the front duo, Mascherano in defensive midfield allows Koke and Marchisio to make aggressive forward pressing runs. Experienced in different roles for their clubs, Koke and Marchisio can also attack from the wing when needed.

In defence, the experienced back four provide a wall of protecting the goal. The fullbacks of Balzaretti and Sagna are capable of pushing forwards as well as defending. And Pepe and Chivu are proven centerbacks who have won Champions League and many league titles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Boris

This is my team, as you can see, it is a slightly deep narrow back four with two defensive midfielders playing in front of them. The attacking midfield line of three will look to track back every now and then depending on the situation, but their primary focus will be on getting themselves into positions where they can punish the opposition on the break. In general the team will look to soak up pressure and look to play directly to the feet of the wingers or off of the target up front.

Another important factor is that with the players I have through the centre of the park, if the opportunity to press arises, the likes of De Rossi, Hamsik, and Cavani will look to capitalise on any errors. Walcott too, although he may not be renowned for his work rate, has the speed to capitalise on any loose balls that may come his way.

First off let me mention the goalscoring prowess of my attack. Over three year periods;

Cavani: 104 goals in 138 games for Napoli (10/11 - 12/13)
Hamsik: 36 goals in 144 games for Napoli (10/11 - 12/13)
Vicente: 17 goals in 120 games for Valencia (01/02 - 03/04)
Walcott: 45 goals in 127 games for Arsenal (10/11 - 12/13)

That is pretty formidable as a unit, and shows that my team would not need a huge amount of chances to score goals.

A couple of posters have raised concerns over my defence, more specifically how Kompany and Vidic would work together. Both are aggressive players who like to attack the ball, however they aren't so completely lacking in intelligence that they are both going to go charging at the same things. Kompany has had a lot of rare errors over the past couple of seasons but for the purposes of this draft I would like to highlight his performances over the three years between 10/11 and 12/13. In 10/11 he was named City's player of the season as he captained them to the league title. He was named in the PFA team of the year in both 10/11 and 11/12. Now these teams usually don't mean much but you cannot argue against the fact that Kompany was a machine at times over that period and was widely considered as a world class centre half.

Arbeloa will not move from left back. He will get the ball, give it to Vicente, and stand beside Vidic. Richards on the other side would have more freedom to get forward, but his primary focus will be on defence. The opposition team does not have any wingers to speak of, and thus his wide players will look to cut in. With Richards also being a centre back and being comfortable tucking inside, and Arbeloa being right footed, this gives me a very solid foundation to combat the opposition threat.

From an attacking point of view, Hamsik is a player who excels at switching the play. During the period when Napoli played with wing backs a key feature of his game was spreading the game open with balls out wide, and in my team he will perform the same role, quickly getting the ball out to the feet of my wingers or perhaps in behind for Walcott. He and Cavani are a proven combination from their Napoli days where both peaked at around the same period, playing alongside each other.

Vicente was a player capable of running a game from out wide. He was Valencia's best player when they won La Liga and the UEFA cup in 03/04. He was at his best when he was allowed to dominate the wing on his own with a defensive full back behind him, and I am allowing him to do that in this formation.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Boris, you need to make better use of the formation sheet, mate. Seeing lot of people look at sheets alone for voting, I think you need to spread and evenly space out the players so that no one looks isolated.

Not important to those who read, but there are quite a few who do not and their votes are crucial too.

VivaJanuzaj

This could actually be a very close match in reality.

At first glance, I didn't understand why Boris needs both Kehl and De Rossi, but with the threat of Mata-Suarez-Eto'o, going for two defensive midfielders and going on the counter isn't a bad idea, especially with fast players like Hamsik-Walcott-Vicente-Cavani.
I'm not sure Isotope's team is built well for dealing with the counters and I can see plenty of threat in Boris' counter attacks against Chivu-Pepe & Mascherano.

I'm not a big fan of the Vidic-Kompany duo, but as I wrote above, I think that De Rossi & Kehl will help them sort it out. I can see De Rossi following Suarez when he comes deep and receives the ball, and I think Vidic & Kompany are quick enough to be the right type of defenders to deal against Eto'o. I'm not too pleased with the fact that Isotope doesn't seem to have a genuine wide threat besides Suarez stretching the play to the left, and perhaps Koke-Marchisio a bit.
On that point, @Isotope I think you should switch them around, Koke usually plays somewhat wide right for Atletico if I remember correctly, and I don't think that Marchisio is better coming from the right either. Seems wrong.

Leaning towards @BorisDeLeFora , but I'll wait a bit to see how this pens out.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Decision made based on boris's reliance on width playing against a narrow diamond, and those players being somewhat under par compared to isoptopes team. Can't see players like richards (error prone) and arbeloa being those you would want to own the flanks and you've come up against suarez who is a phenomenal player, eto who was lethal throughout his career combined with mascherano who would stifle many attacks. Unlucky.

Ps agree your formation makes players look isolated. You should push theo and vicente up.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Boris, you need to make better use of the formation sheet, mate. Seeing lot of people look at sheets alone for voting, I think you need to spread and evenly space out the players so that no one looks isolated.

Not important to those who read, but there are quite a few who do not and their votes are crucial too.
I would agree. Need to get De Rossi and particularly Hamsik further up that pitch, to make it look like you're trying to gain some sort of initiative.

BorisDeLeFora

I've edited the formation as suggested, thanks.

Didn't think it mattered that much tbh.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On that point, @Isotope I think you should switch them around, Koke usually plays somewhat wide right for Atletico if I remember correctly, and I don't think that Marchisio is better coming from the right either. Seems wrong.
Yes, you're right. Just realized the Koke - Marchisio positions were switched. Thank you.

Sorry @Edgar Allan Pillow . Please change the OP, please.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This could actually be a very close match in reality.

At first glance, I didn't understand why Boris needs both Kehl and De Rossi, but with the threat of Mata-Suarez-Eto'o, going for two defensive midfielders and going on the counter isn't a bad idea, especially with fast players like Hamsik-Walcott-Vicente-Cavani.
I'm not sure Isotope's team is built well for dealing with the counters and I can see plenty of threat in Boris' counter attacks against Chivu-Pepe & Mascherano.

I'm not a big fan of the Vidic-Kompany duo, but as I wrote above, I think that De Rossi & Kehl will help them sort it out. I can see De Rossi following Suarez when he comes deep and receives the ball, and I think Vidic & Kompany are quick enough to be the right type of defenders to deal against Eto'o. I'm not too pleased with the fact that Isotope doesn't seem to have a genuine wide threat besides Suarez stretching the play to the left, and perhaps Koke-Marchisio a bit.

Leaning towards @BorisDeLeFora , but I'll wait a bit to see how this pens out.
That's the reason having strikers like Suarez and Eto'o who can go wide. Thus reducing the need to have specific winger. With the help of Marchisio or Koke to go wide when necessary, or one of the fullback, I think the wide area is pretty much covered.

Masch could also drop deep forming 3 CB (as he's a capable CB), and having fullbacks going forward, with Marchisio screening as DM.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Went for isotope. Think you have great balance in your team and players who I think really complement each other.

In time that defence will need an upgrade though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Went for isotope. Think you have great balance in your team and players who I think really complement each other.

In time that defence will need an upgrade though.
Thanks. Agreed about the defence. It's hard to get all players right.

BorisDeLeFora

I could never be so arrogant as to vote for myself.

Isotope's team will probably dominate possession, but the vast majority of his attacks are going to be central, which is an area that will be completely crowded by a narrow back four and two defensive midfielders. Yes Suarez and Eto'o can drift wide, but in general Suarez usually cuts inside, toward traffic, and Eto'o going out right will be faced by Arbeloa who is an excellent defensive full back.

On the other side, my attacks will come in quick breaks out wide or through Hamsik/Cavani. He has nothing to protect his full backs. Vicente in his pomp played in front of a pretty defensive full back in Carboni at Valencia and usually dominated the left flank all on his own, he had everything as a winger. It's also important to note that when my team break, nobody is catching my attackers. Mascherano, as good as he is, cannot protect that back four against my three attacking midfielders, Koke and Marchisio will not have the athleticism to get back, and Cavani IMO is certainly good enough and powerful enough to occupy both Pepe and Chivu.

BorisDeLeFora

Decision made based on boris's reliance on width playing against a narrow diamond, and those players being somewhat under par compared to isoptopes team. Can't see players like richards (error prone) and arbeloa being those you would want to own the flanks and you've come up against suarez who is a phenomenal player, eto who was lethal throughout his career combined with mascherano who would stifle many attacks. Unlucky.

Ps agree your formation makes players look isolated. You should push theo and vicente up.
I don't get this at all. The width is provided by Vicente, one of the best wingers in the draft, and Walcott, who may not be great, but he is up against Balzaretti. Mascherano will not be able to cover that defence on his own, look at Argentina vs. Germany in the 2010 world cup. He was completely swamped by Germany's breaks and could do absolutely nothing. Walcott and Vicente will more or less be one vs. one every time they get the ball in the attacking third, and more often that not one of them more likely Vicente) will create something. Arbeloa and Richards don't even come into it.

He has two fantastic strikers, but they are up against a unit that is well set up IMO to deal with the way Isotope attacks, especially compared to how his defensive set up compares against my attack.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Since when Arbeloa is an excellent defensive full back? He's a decent fullback, nothing more.

BorisDeLeFora

Since when Arbeloa is an excellent defensive full back? He's a decent fullback, nothing more.
His avaerage ability on the ball makes him look more average than he actually is.

Defensively he never lets his side down.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Your full backs will have so much space on the flanks to exploit and support the lone striker and 2 wingers, but they are not good enough for me and would waste a lot of possession.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
At first glance I thought Isotope but take it. Then I saw that the voting reflected that. After considering it however I'm leaning more towards Boris. It's hard to go through his middle, his linkup between Hamsik and Cavani is proven and his wingers are quick, one of them is tricky as well. Cavani likes receiving crosses and neither CB is bigger than him. In fact, Isotope's team is quite small overall.

On the other hand you've got the quickness of Eto'o and Suarez with Mata putting balls into space between and behind defenders. However Boris' team is deep and narrow. Will there be any space?

Annahnomoss

Both teams looks very good here. Suarez and Eto'o is about as good as it gets in this draft and Eto'o at his peak was of a similar mold as Sturridge, but of course at a much higher level overall. However Boris has Walcott, Cavani and Vicente all providing great off the ball runs with their top pace and acceleration and they all got the ability to provide width.

Won't vote as of now, Suarez/Eto'o is eye-catching but I need to see how the thread turns out as it is to tight right now.

Kazi

Expected this to be much closer than 9-3.

Don't like Koke in that position, but I love Isotope's front three. While Boris has a very strong spine. Suarez and Eto'o vs Vidic and Kompany would be very fun to watch. Huge fan of De Rossi - makes this a tough one for me.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
but the vast majority of his attacks are going to be central, which is an area that will be completely crowded by a narrow back four and two defensive midfielders. Yes Suarez and Eto'o can drift wide, but in general Suarez usually cuts inside, toward traffic, and Eto'o going out right will be faced by Arbeloa who is an excellent defensive full back.
My thoughts exactly. I think both Suarez and Eto'o are better off partnered with a CF or a poaches in this set up. The front of your defence will be crowded and you might be soaking in a bit of pressure at times.

I'm still a bit undecided on Vidic/Kompany. Kompany was immense domestically, but a bit meh in Europe from what I recall. And Vidic to his eternal misfortune will always be blemished by that Torres matches.

Leaning towards Boris, but will give it more time.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

It actually reminded me a bit of your sheep draft team with tonnes of men at the back, upfront, and nobody in midfield.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Expected this to be much closer than 9-3.

Don't like Koke in that position, but I love Isotope's front three. While Snow has a very strong spine. Suarez and Eto'o vs Vidic and Kompany would be very fun to watch. Huge fan of De Rossi - makes this a tough one for me.
It's Boris, not me :)

VivaJanuzaj

I'm shocked of how one sided this is, am I the only one who feel Boris' team is perfectly crowding the middle which is the only route to goal from Isotope? The way I see it this game is likely to be decided in a 1:0 from a counter by team Boris

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm shocked of how one sided this is, am I the only one who feel Boris' team is perfectly crowding the middle which is the only route to goal from Isotope? The way I see it this game is likely to be decided in a 1:0 from a counter by team Boris
Hmm, you make it sounds like Suarez and Eto'o can only work if there's plenty of space available. Eto'o played for Barca, when most of their opponent where pinned back to defend, but still scored plenty of goals. Then a half fit Suarez 'destroyed' England in the last WC, when they were setup exactly like Boris' now.

And who do you think capable of instigating counter-attack in Boris' ?

Raptori

Special needs
Hmm, you make it sounds like Suarez and Eto'o can only work if there's plenty of space available. Eto'o played for Barca, when most of their opponent where pinned back to defend, but still scored plenty of goals. Then a half fit Suarez 'destroyed' England in the last WC, when they were setup exactly like Boris' now.

And who do you think capable of instigating counter-attack in Boris' ?
Not to mention peak Mata slicing the defence open. I like Boris' team (his drafting approach is roughly what I would have done if I had been involved), but I think he'd be relying on luck to win this. It's close for me, but I think your team shades it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not to mention peak Mata slicing the defence open. I like Boris' team (his drafting approach is roughly what I would have done if I had been involved), but I think he'd be relying on luck to win this. It's close for me, but I think your team shades it.
Boris has the best CB duo in the draft (imho) and very good midfield. Getting Vicente so late was unbelievable (as he's not even on my radar). Although my team has more flexibility when attacking and defending.

Raptori

Special needs
Boris has the best CB duo in the draft (imho) and very good midfield. Getting Vicente so late was unbelievable (as he's not even on my radar). Although my team has more flexibility when attacking and defending.
Yep, exactly. The areas in which his team is strong are generally the weakest points in the draft imo, which is why I'd have focused on them first as well. I don't really rate Walcott or Cavani that highly though, so I don't think it's strong enough going forward.