The Modern Draft: R1 - NM vs MJJ

At players career peaks, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

......................... Team NM ........................................................ Team MJJ .............................

Team NM

Tactics:

Defense: In goal, Courtois is an exceptional goalkeeper. In central defense, Dante is a key part of the Bayern Munich machine that has dominated Germany and won the Champions league. He is a great passer out of the back too. He will be able to find any of my midfielders easily when he has the ball, and will have the freedom to release the wingers/fullbacks as well. Alongside him is Subotic, who was part of the Dortmund side that dominated Germany with Dortmund. He is a strong, physical center back that will complement Dante well. My full backs are amongst the best in the draft - Ashley Cole and Maicon. Both have the ability to defend excellently while contributing to the attack. Neither of them have direct opponents here either. All of MJJ's players like to play centrally, which will make their life a lot easier, and let them contribute to the attack.

Midfield: All three of my midfielders cover a lot of ground, and can pretty much interchange as needed. Cambiasso is the designated defensive shield, sitting in front of the midfield. He also has an amazing passing range, and will always look to pick out Bale and Malouda on the wings. Alongside him, Strootman and Fletcher will serve as box to box midfielders. Helping the defense while going forward and joining in the attack. Three midfielders with excellent work rate will help negate MJJ's midfielders as Matic/Essien/Kaka/Pjanjic all love to play centrally, while even Cassano tends to drift in. They will try (and succeed IMO) in holding the center, or at least severely blunting the threat from there. If they do that, there isn't a threat from anywhere else IMO.

Attack: Bale will be Bale. He will dominate the right wing, cut inside, cross for Gomez, the works. Add that to Maicon behind him, and Baines is toast. Similarly, on the other flank, Malouda and Cole will give his fullback a good working over. There will be lots of opportunities for Gomez, and he will stick some away. Bale will attack the box, and so will Fletcher/Strootman. We all know Fletcher is excellent at getting on the end of attacks/crosses too, and Gomez is a natural finisher.

Why I think I'll win:
1. I think my midfield 3 is ideally set up (and is the right personnel) to stifle MJJ's threat. He doesn't really have a wide threat - if I stifle the midfield, I win the game.

2. Overload on the wings - Bale and Malouda are excellent wingers. Bale will roast Baines, and Maicon will just add insult to injury. On the other wing, Malouda and Cole is a proven partnership. It's a simple scenario. My fullbacks/wingers will dominate the flanks, resulting in opportunities galore. The only option MJJ has is to get Matic/Essien to help out, in which case I win the midfield easily.

3. The midfield battle - Cambiasso, Fletcher and Strootman won't give his boys an inch. Doesn't matter if he plays all of Kaka/Essien/Matic/Pjanjic there, they will fight and fight hard. They will limit his opportunities, and the quick outball to the wingers will result in Essien/Matic being dragged wide, which will create a much more even battle. The way I see it is the same as the last point, MJJ can decide to let himself be overwhelmed on the flanks, or lose any possible advantage in the middle. This will lead to Kaka being isolated, causing him big problems.

4. An attack build perfectly for my center forward - Gomez is a predator. He thrives on holding the ball up,laying it out wide for the winger and then getting on the end of a cross. The set up is perfect for him, as Bale, Malouda, Cole and Maicon will be crossing it all day. Additionally, he won't be isolated up top because Fletcher/Strootman will come up in support, and so will Bale/Malouda.

Tl;dr I genuinely believe I have the right tactical setup to really hurt MJJ.

Player Profiles:

Goalkeeper: Thibaut Courtois Peak: 2011- Present. I don't need to talk much about him. Displaced Cech and one of the best around today.

LB: Ashley Cole. Peak: 2003-2012 Arguable Best left back in the world at his peak (only reason I put arguably is Maldini was around then too)

CB: Dante. Peak: 2011-2014. Excellent ball-playing center back, and a big defender who can deal with aerial balls well. Been excellent for Bayern

CB: Neven Subotic Peak: 2007-2013. Part of Dortmund's backline when they were at their best, Subotic is a combative center back who will complement Dante very well. He was brilliant at his peak, but injuries have blighted him recently. That shouldn't affect perceptions of his peak.

RB: Maicon Peak. 2006-2010. Simply the best all round RB in the world in his peak. His relentless tamina and running meant that he could single-handedly dominate the right flank in his peak. Only one winger ever beat him, and he's on my team! In all seriousness, Maicon's peak is usually underrated, but he could simply do it all. An all round excellent player.

DM: Esteban Cambiasso. Peak: 2007-2012. Cambiasso is a very intelligent footballer, who is great at shielding the defense, but also has an excellent passing range. His brilliant positioning and reading of the game make him an ideal defensive midfielder, while his passing allows him to start moves and join the attack if needed. At his prime, was one of the key players for Inter as they won everything in Italy, and the Champions league.

CM: Darren Fletcher. Peak: 2006/7 - 2010. I don't need to say much about Fletch, other than that he was a key part of one of our greatest teams. He is a tireless runner in midfield, able to track back and defend, while also joining the attack. The box to box midfielder we are missing right now :(

CM: Kevin Strootman. Peak: 2011-2014. The caf's wet dream. Strootman is a box-to-box midfielder that takes no prisoners. He can tackle, pass and control the midfield. Nicknamed the "Dutch Roy Keane" apparently.

RW: Gareth Bale. Peak: 2011- Current. Don't need to talk much about him. He tore the English league apart and settled in quickly in Spain. We all know what he's all about. I'm playing him where he typically plays for Madrid.

AM: James Rodriguez. Peak: 2011 - Current. The World cup's top scorer. James is a great playmaker with the ability to play in the center or on either wing. James will score goals and create them. He can beat a man with a dribble or a pass. An exciting player who will make things happen.

LW: Florent Malouda. Peak: 2005-2011. At his peak, Malouda was a vital cog of the Chelsea machine. He's a left winger who can beat a man, cross accurately, and play a good through ball as well. He also has a good work rate, and will have a great understanding with Ashley Cole, who he has played with before.

CF: Mario Gomez. Peak: 2006-2012. At his peak, Gomez was an excellent goalscoring target man. He can hold the ball up, bring others into play, and then finish moves. He is also an excellent header of the ball, and will get on the end of crosses from my wingers. Per Arsene Wenger, Gomez is "a great finisher who is often in the right place to finish off moves".

RW: Gareth Bale. Peak: 2011- Current. Don't need to talk much about him. He tore the English league apart and settled in quickly in Spain. We all know what he's all about. I'm playing him where he typically plays for Madrid.

LW: Florent Malouda. Peak: 2005-2011. At his peak, Malouda was a vital cog of the Chelsea machine. He's a left winger who can beat a man, cross accurately, and play a good through ball as well. He also has a good work rate, and will have a great understanding with Ashley Cole, who he has played with before.

CF: Mario Gomez. Peak: 2006-2012. At his peak, Gomez was an excellent goalscoring target man. He can hold the ball up, bring others into play, and then finish moves. He is also an excellent header of the ball, and will get on the end of crosses from my wingers. Per Arsene Wenger, Gomez is "a great finisher who is often in the right place to finish off moves".

Bench:

AM: James Rodriguez. Peak: 2011 - Current. The World cup's top scorer. James is a great playmaker with the ability to play in the center or on either wing. James will score goals and create them. He can beat a man with a dribble or a pass. An exciting player who will make things happen.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Team MJJ

Team Comparison

• A far better attack, featuring a Ballon D'or Winner and Torres(Ballon D'or Third place), a genius in cassano compared to an attack led by gomez(average striker), rodriguez(unproven kid), malouda( average winger) and bale.

• My midfield is stronger, with matic, essien, pjanic compared to fletcher and cambiasso.

• Defense, is pretty even with his fullbacks being better but both pairs of central defenders are around the same level but having neuer as a goal keeper works in my favour.
Comments on Opposition

Not sure where the goal with come from with bale being the only main threat who will be double teamed to negate his effect. While my opponent might try to paint bale vs baines a mismatch, remember that bale never scored against everton during his time in the premier league while piszczek has done a good job of keeping ronaldo quiet in the past.

Maicon and Bale is a seriously impressive flank but its up against baines, matic and essien which will lessen the impact quiet heavily. With bale negated, no player in his side can create enough chances to hurt me while I have Kaka and Torres, both players perfectly capable of creating chances for themselves and others, along with cassano and pjanic.

Furthermore, I will question the suitability of playing bale alongside gomez. Unless its the bale of old, who will just go wide and cross it in, I don't think the two will gel well. Particularly with malouda on the other flank.

Both of his defenders(Dante and Subotic) are tall, strong defenders who aren't really that quick or agile. Torres and Kaka will have a field day running at them.

My Player's Peaks:

Torres- 2007-2009, Ballon D'or Third Place, PFA Team of the year, UEFA team of the year, UEFA euro team of the year.

Kaka - 2004-2009, Serie A footballer of the year(twice), foreign footballer of the year(thrice!), UEFA team of the year, UEFA Champions league top scorer, top assister, best forward, midfield, playmaker, Ballon D'or Winner

Neuer - 2010-2015, One man brickwall. German Footballer of the year(2011,2014), World's best goal keeper(2013,2014), FIFA World cup dream team, Ballon D'or Third place!

Essien - 2006-2009, Chelsea Player of the season, nominated for the Ballon D'or and Fifa world player of the year for three consecutive seasons.

Pique - 2009-12, La liga defender of the year(2010), UEFA team of the year(2010,2011,2012) and UEFA euro team of the year(2012). One of the best defenders in the world during his peak.

Matic - 2013-2015 Regarded as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and a key part of the chelsea midfield.

Baines- 2009-2013, Everton player of the season, three years running, PFA team of the season 2010-11, 2011-12.

Pjanic - 2013-15, One of the best talents in Serie A. Renowned for his passing, creativity and dribbling.

Cassano- 2001-03, Serie A young player of the year 2001, 2003. Earned a move to madrid!

Sokratis - 2013-2015, A key part of dortmunds defense, out performing both subotic and hummels.

Piszczek - 2012-2015- Rivaled lahm for the best right back in the world according to our resident german expert @@Balu and a key part of the dortmund juggernaut.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Piszczek - 2012-2015- Rivaled lahm for the best right back in the world according to our resident german expert @@Balu and a key part of the dortmund juggernaut.
Did I really say it like that. That sounds 'slightly' over the top, but then I really rate Piszczek peak seasons between 2010 and 2013.

NM

So MJJ is up to his usual hyperbole.

Has Torres ever played successfully with a partner? I don't know about his original Atletico days, but after that he hasn't.

NM

If MJJ is double marking Bale, he certainly isn't going to win the midfield battle, is he? I think tactically I have the edge here.

Kazi

Great match-up this. Both teams high in quality, guess it comes down to the clash of styles.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Attacking the space?
I don't know why he felt the need of displaying all of the pitch when a little editing does give him a huge visual advantage.

On a serious note, I don't know why two of a side-midfielders in a diamond formation are depicted in the central circle :houllier: It's suicidal

harms

Staff
any comments on the tactical setup?
You have a tactical advantage, while MJJ has better individuals, it's that simple for me. MJJ would've been better off with a genuine midfield playmaker in his team - Pjanic is more of an attacking midfielder in my understanding. With someone in the mold of Alonso/Carrick (both were picked early tbf) or, to say, Moutinho, his counters with Kaka and Torres would've been devastating.

NM

You have a tactical advantage, while MJJ has better individuals, it's that simple for me. MJJ would've been better off with a genuine midfield playmaker in his team - Pjanic is more of an attacking midfielder in my understanding. With someone in the mold of Alonso/Carrick (both were picked early tbf) or, to say, Moutinho, his counters with Kaka and Torres would've been devastating.
That's kinda the point I'm trying to make. MJJ's strength here is more easily neutralized than mine, and I'm playing the right way to stop him. Cut the supply, and his boys are useless.

I don't see how he has a hope of containing me on the wings tbh.

Also, James or Malouda on the left?

MJJ

That's kinda the point I'm trying to make. MJJ's strength here is more easily neutralized than mine, and I'm playing the right way to stop him. Cut the supply, and his boys are useless.

I don't see how he has a hope of containing me on the wings tbh.

Also, James or Malouda on the left?
:lol: Kaka and Torres are perfectly capable of creating and finishing on their own. On the other hand, can you please explain who other than bale will create anything of note from your team?

He does, how? Pjanic is easily capable of threading through balls here and running riot on the left wing with baines/cassano. While on the other hand, nm has no one who can really create in that midfield. His only threat is bale who will be double teamed. I simply will create more chances which will lead to more goals.

MJJ

I really rate Piszczek. He's rivaled Lahm for best rightback in the league around 2012, which probably meant he rivaled him for best right back in the world. No idea if you can convince anyone else about that though. .
regarding the comment on piszczek.

NM

:lol: Kaka and Torres are perfectly capable of creating and finishing on their own. On the other hand, can you please explain who other than bale will create anything of note from your team?

He does, how? Pjanic is easily capable of threading through balls here and running riot on the left wing with baines/cassano. While on the other hand, nm has no one who can really create in that midfield. His only threat is bale who will be double teamed. I simply will create more chances which will lead to more goals.

1. Of course Kaka and Torres can. The point is your midfield is completely choked up. I have three incredibly hard workers there.

2. If Pjanjic is on the wing, and Bale is double marked, you are losing the midfield easily. If Baines gets forward, nobody is catching Bale, and Maicon will eaaasily deal with Cassano or Baines. Also you are ignoring Malouda, who was very good for Chelsea for many many years. If you think he can't create, you are deluding yourself. Add that to Cole and Maicon getting forward, and I'll create plenty of chances.

Tactically, you can either stop my wingers or try to control the midfield, but not both. Right now, I'll stop your boys, but you won't stop mine.

MJJ

1. Of course Kaka and Torres can. The point is your midfield is completely choked up. I have three incredibly hard workers there.

2. If Pjanjic is on the wing, and Bale is double marked, you are losing the midfield easily. If Baines gets forward, nobody is catching Bale, and Maicon will eaaasily deal with Cassano or Baines. Also you are ignoring Malouda, who was very good for Chelsea for many many years. If you think he can't create, you are deluding yourself. Add that to Cole and Maicon getting forward, and I'll create plenty of chances.

Tactically, you can either stop my wingers or try to control the midfield, but not both. Right now, I'll stop your boys, but you won't stop mine.
Huh? I said pjanic will go wide at times not that he is on the wing, there is a difference. There is a reason, essien is positioned on bale flank so he can simply close him down when you have the ball, otherwise play his normal role. Has the work rate to perform the role to perfection. If both cole is getting forward as often as you are implying than torres, pjanic and piszczek will wreck havoc down that side. Your midfield isnt going to create anything of note, malouda is average at best and the only one who can run with the ball is bale. You have three attackers, two of whom are average against matic, and four defenders. No idea how you think you are going to score with none of your midfielders being creative enough.

Which bale are you playing btw? The one at spurs or madrid? The spurs one never scored against baines as I have already alluded to and the madrid one struggles massively when he has no space.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
You have a tactical advantage, while MJJ has better individuals, it's that simple for me.
thats more or less my view as well.

I expect a low scoring game and both teams wont be too adventurous. Gomez (after a cross/through-ball) and Bale are the perfect player to score in such a game, while Kaka wont have a significant impact. Naturally he accelerates on the counter.

NM

Huh? I said pjanic will go wide at times not that he is on the wing, there is a difference. There is a reason, essien is positioned on bale flank so he can simply close him down when you have the ball, otherwise play his normal role. Has the work rate to perform the role to perfection. If both cole is getting forward as often as you are implying than torres, pjanic and piszczek will wreck havoc down that side. Your midfield isnt going to create anything of note, malouda is average at best and the only one who can run with the ball is bale. You have three attackers, two of whom are average against matic, and four defenders. No idea how you think you are going to score with none of your midfielders being creative enough.

Which bale are you playing btw? The one at spurs or madrid? The spurs one never scored against baines as I have already alluded to and the madrid one struggles massively when he has no space.
ok this is just wrong mate. If Essien is forced to look after Bale, Strootman, Fletcher and Cambiasso wil control the game. Pjanjic and Kaka aren't the biggest workhorses. Cole is getting forward judiciously, as is Maicon. Both are comfortably the best full backs on the pitch. Cole has shut down Ronaldo, he will shit on Pjanjic and Piswhateverhisspellingis. Fletcher and Strootman are box to box and can certainly help out.

Malouda certainly isn't average.:lol:. He was part of a very good Chelsea side, and is an excellent passer/crosser. He will certainly create chances.

The Bale at Spurs never played on the right, and the Bale I have will have space. Maicon will support and my midfielders will make forward runs.

As usual, full backs are being severely underrated here.

NM

thats more or less my view as well.

I expect a low scoring game and both teams wont be too adventurous. Gomez (after a cross/through-ball) and Bale are the perfect player to score in such a game, while Kaka wont have a significant impact. Naturally he accelerates on the counter.
But when does he get to counter? All 3 of my midfielders are perfectly capable of keeping an eye on him. There's no pace in his team at all, while Cole/Bale/Maicon are pretty quick and Malouda is no slouch either.

NM

@MJJ I think you have a great team - don't mean to insult it. I just think I have the right weapons to stop you. I hate long arguments in draft threads!

MJJ

ok this is just wrong mate. If Essien is forced to look after Bale, Strootman, Fletcher and Cambiasso wil control the game. Pjanjic and Kaka aren't the biggest workhorses. Cole is getting forward judiciously, as is Maicon. Both are comfortably the best full backs on the pitch. Cole has shut down Ronaldo, he will shit on Pjanjic and Piswhateverhisspellingis. Fletcher and Strootman are box to box and can certainly help out.

Malouda certainly isn't average.:lol:. He was part of a very good Chelsea side, and is an excellent passer/crosser. He will certainly create chances.

The Bale at Spurs never played on the right, and the Bale I have will have space. Maicon will support and my midfielders will make forward runs.

As usual, full backs are being severely underrated here.
Kaka and Torres are both capable of beating their players and going on runs. That's how they will bypass your midfield at times. May I ask if you are playing a high line or a deep one?

@Skills thanks, glad someone appreciates. It's all thanks to my am who added finishing touches.

Annahnomoss

Kaka and Torres had the potential to be nearly the ideal partnership for a counter-attacking set up. I don't think Cassano or Pjanic will be pulling their weight here which exposes the quite weak full backs for MJJ.

If MJJ had picked up two top full backs I could see the reasoning of going for a diamond, but as it stands Bale and Malouda will create chances against those full backs and the central defense isn't good enough to make up for that.

Cambiasso, Fletcher and Strootman is fecking boring and toothless but in this match up they are just perfect to handle being outnumbered, it almost looks like a Fergie set up countering the opponents strengths with lesser players. Especially when NM has(I believe) the best full back pairing in the draft in Cole and Maicon who would have won the battle of the flanks rather easily even if they didn't also have Bale and Malouda there.

Annahnomoss

@annahnamoss I will give you cassano but Pjanic is very much a hard worker so he won't be a passenger in anyway.
Sorry if it was confusing. I didn't mean to address the work rate of either of them. Rather them pushing the formation towards a diamond which isn't ideal here when NM has a very odd team that is pretty much custom made just against a diamond. I think ignoring that central midfield battle would work against him, then he'd have Fletcher/Strootman/Cambiasso trying to play possession football which they would never do at a top quality manner.

Now you need to win that midfield battle and by quite a margin as you've deployed so many men against it and considering his midfield trio are great off the ball it isn't ideal. You will win but there aren't many midfields which would do a job as good as NM's central midfielders.

harms

Staff
http://www.chiesaditotti.com/2013/10/25/5026178/examining-the-rise-of-miralem-pjanic

@harms He is perfectly capable of playing the deep lying playmaker role and has than it many times over the past couple of seasons.
He isn't the kind of a player that I would expect to stay back and pinch the long-balls to his forwards all game. He is, like it was said in your article (great one, by the way), neither a regista, nor a trequartista at his best. He needs freedom and he likes to roam forward too much - and I think that you need a more boring and disciplined long-baller here - so that Kaka and Torres can start they runs earlier and not in the overcrowded final third

Your main strengths are:
  • Kaka and Torres, but you have not created the best environment for them, as I see it. They still are incredibly threatening, mind you
  • Monstrous central midfield, consisting of Essien and Matic. But NM's very boring and unimpressive midfield is an ideal counter to your mainly central threat - this trio can just suck up pressure all day long, even from the guys like Essien. They won't dominate it, yet they won't lose the battle.

And on the other hand, you'll get murdered on your flanks (I'm surprised to see Malouda and not James starting, but he still isn't an "average" winger). The downside of this for NM - he needs for Gomes to have a great game to win it and he is not the guy that you bet your life on, especially when he is up against Neuer.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
If MJJ had picked up two top full backs I could see the reasoning of going for a diamond, but as it stands Bale and Malouda will create chances against those full backs and the central defense isn't good enough to make up for that.
I think Piszczek fits that role perfectly.