The Modern Draft: R1 - Theon vs PatMustard

At players career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Joga,

I don't deny Asamoah is better defensively but with Tevez inside left it makes the team very lopsided.
You've got a point there, although I think you're under-selling Asamoah's ability to work up and down that flank. He's a good, skillful ball carrier with outstanding pace and stamina. He lacks Bastos' productivity, but I didn't want to go gung ho against Theon's attack and undermine what I feel is my biggest advantage in my superior defence.

Granted though, its nowhere near as threatening as my right wing,

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
  • Theon has a balanced and fluid set-up and I can understand the rationale of a 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1. It's always important that Ibrahimovic has space to drop into and, with Sneijder reprising his Inter 4-2-1-3 role, I can see that working well.
  • Both defences aren't great. However, I prefer how Pat's will function in the context of this game. Albiol provides a withdrawn and central support, but it's on the side that's going to receive the least amount of pressure. I also rate Barzagli quite highly based on his Serie A performances for Palermo and Juve and his international form.
  • With that in mind, Pat's team will cause problems on the right-hand side of attack, with the foothold of possession provided by Xavi through the middle, Alves stretching down the flank, and Deisler popping up dangerously inbetween. With Robinho not likely to track back, Sneijder on the left-hand side of the three, and only Kolarov at full-back, that's a recipe for a significant advantage.
Gone for Pat.
Very much where I'm at. That right flank looks like a motorway of chance creation and Theon's defence isn't much cop.

I do rate Theon's midfield and forward trio higher though. I don't think he would have much joy trying to control the game, but will score on the counter.

I can see both teams scoring a couple of goals. Question is which one gets a third.

antohan

@Pat_Mustardshould we assume you started Bastos and suubbed on Asamoah or that he has been there all along?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Joga,

I don't deny Asamoah is better defensively but with Tevez inside left it makes the team very lopsided.
Hmm I wouldn't say it would be lopsided tbh. Asamoah does tend to be widely regarded as a combative b2b who is just shoehorned out wide due to Juve's CM depth and for his defensive abilities whilst being not too impressive on the ball but that isn't really the case tbh.

He can provide the width, pace and a fair amount of trickery out wide and has done so for the record breaking Juve as a left wing back in a back 5. Obviously not to the same extent as Bastos, who's more of a left winger at left back but still to a high degree which is also augmented with more defensive nous.

Besides the presence of Alves, with his wide marauding runs and Deisler with his pinpoint crosses/long balls on the right, provides perfect counter balance which allows Tevez to play as an inside forward whilst not burdening Asamoah with too much creative responsibility.

Pat_Mustard

Ah, feck it. Might as well go a bit more gung ho for the last period of play. Bastos comes on in place of Verratti.Bender remains as the aggressive ball winner in central midfield, with Xavi of course being the distributor. Deisler and Tevez will both work back to provide the extra bodies in midfield off the ball.

Bastos scored 15 and 16 goals in his best two goalscoring seasons, and has twice reached 11 assists for the season. He also has a penchant for the spectacular:

antohan

Interesting...

I was settling for a 2-2 draw TBH.

You had the most clear path to creating opportunities and Theon a dogshite defence.

But I couldn't see your midfield having a good game against his, and he would be deadly on the break. Wise move to have Asamoah starting, as I think Sánchez would have been MotM otherwise.

A major concern with your team was a relative lack of height, not as much for crosses upfront but Verratti vs a back-dropping Ibrahimovic. I just can't see Verratti being of any use against him so not fussed he is gone and I like that you have this option.

I think it's a 2-2 and Theon would need to score first to win it. The current scoreline is miles off, so voting accordingly, but you both have significant room for improvement.

NM

Theon's attack makes up for his poor defense.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Shame to see you go out Pat, one of the more entertaining teams to follow in terms of your selection picks and I liked the style of your side.

Pat_Mustard

Interesting...

I was settling for a 2-2 draw TBH.

You had the most clear path to creating opportunities and Theon a dogshite defence.

But I couldn't see your midfield having a good game against his, and he would be deadly on the break. Wise move to have Asamoah starting, as I think Sánchez would have been MotM otherwise.

A major concern with your team was a relative lack of height, not as much for crosses upfront but Verratti vs a back-dropping Ibrahimovic. I just can't see Verratti being of any use against him so not fussed he is gone and I like that you have this option.

I think it's a 2-2 and Theon would need to score first to win it. The current scoreline is miles off, so voting accordingly, but you both have significant room for improvement.
Great game @Theon

Tough luck @Pat_Mustard
Really liked your team but you were rather unlucky to square up against Theon's strong team.
Shame to see you go out Pat, one of the more entertaining teams to follow in terms of your selection picks and I liked the style of your side.
Cheers lads. I'm actually happy enough with the scoreline - not particularly close bit not a complete whitewash either. I honestly feel there was a large gulf between the two defences in my favour that wasn't quite acknowledged, but Theon's midfield and attack was more cohesive and logical than mine, and he's used Ibrahimovic very, very well. I was pretty happy with all my picks but if I'm honest there's something about my line up that just didn't sit right with me. I wish I'd just went with the 4-4-2 I finished with now and relied on Tevez's workrate and Deisler's inclination to cut inside to create numbers in midfield when I didn't have possession.