g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Modern Draft - Semi Finals 1: Skizzo vs Isotope

At players career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

......................................... Team Skizzo ........................................................................................ Team Isotope ..........................................

Team Skizzo

The Team

Our team will be lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Samir Handanovic will be our man between the sticks. The back four is made up of three members of the great Athletico Madrid defence which has been so stingy over the last few seasons. Diego Godín and Miranda form the central partnership, a partnership which has been able to shut out opposing teams, and score quite a few themselves with set pieces. Patrice Evra and Juanfran take the full back spots.

In Midfield we have Esteban Cambiasso and Toni Kroos. Cambiasso will be the slightly more withdrawn of the two, focusing more on the defensive side, looking to break up attacks and track runners. Kroos will use his fantastic positioning and reading of the game to look to close down passing lanes, and disrupt the flow of the opposition's attack.

The front four is made up of a fluid unit, consisting of Franck Ribéry, Thomas Müller, Andres Iniesta, and Robert Lewandowski leading the line. The three attacking midfielders are all mobile, and will look to constantly be probing for chinks in the defensive line, causing a huge problem for the opposition. Lewandowski has been called the most complete forward in the World over the last few years, and he would thrive on the movement, passing, and ability of the men behind him.

Why we would win

Quite simply, because he wouldn't be able to stop us scoring. We have a huge goal threat from all of our front 4, and their movement would cause chaos amongst his defence. Ribéry on the left side, with his pace and direct running, would mean Lahm would need to be at his best. Lahm is the best full back in the draft, but he would have his hands full with Ribery's pace and dribbling, limiting his influence going forward. On the other side, Müller is playing wide right, looking to drive into the box, or find passes to link up with the other attackers. Müller drifting into space would play into his strength's against Chivu, and with Pepe covering, Müller would be able to find pockets of space to exploit. Iniesta will now be playing centrally, having a direct influence on our playmaking, but still able to help control the midfield by dropping back when needed. Iniesta will thrive in pockets of space between the defence and midfield, and will wreak havoc with the movement ahead of him. Lewandowski runs. A lot. With a central defensive partnership of Boateng and Pepe, they would need to be at their best to not only keep an eye on Lewandowski's movement, but the runs of Müller and Ribéry attacking the space.

Ribéry-Evra & Müller-Juanfran make for two exhilarating flanks with Ribéry's dribbling and creativity complementing Evra's marauding runs down the left and Müller's incisiveness and frequent diagonal runs enhancing Juanfran's wingsmanship and pinpoint deliveries. Against a narrow set up, these 2 flanks could very well be the decisive difference in this match. This could lead to his side midfielders (Koke and Vidal) having their work cut out helping their FBs against an extremely intelligent team with rapier like movement and brilliant passers capable of playing defense splitting passes, both of who can exploit the tiniest of openings

On the defensive side, we're set up well to stop his attacking threat, whether he decides to go with a diamond, or play with wingers. If he decides to go with a diamond, he doesn't quite have the players to to effectively use the formation. He lacks someone to control the midfield, and all of his midfielders prefer to attack and be on the front foot. Suarez and Eto'o will look to drift into space, but they're up against the best central defensive partnership in the World of the last few years. If he decides to try moving one of them out wide, they won't be as effective and he'll lose some of his goalscoring threat. If they stay in the diamond, he lacks the players from deep to provide any width. Playing centrally where Godin, Miranda, Cambiasso et al are all located, will help negate his threats. Suarez and Eto'o both look to attack defenders, which means their high risk style of ball retention will lead to a number of turnovers. With the playmaking ability we have throughout the squad, and the passing ability of our defenders and midfielders, we would be able to move the ball quickly forward and attack.

Overall, his team lacks a player with the ability to really control the game. His lack of a calming midfield presence is compounded by their extremely direct and risk taking front duo and it will lead to too many turn overs and the serious lack of an ability to establish control of the match.

Good luck Isotope!

===============================================================================

Team Isotope

4-1-3-2 Direct Pressing Team

Three things to know about this team:
1. Midfielders and forwards are all capable of scoring goals and making assists:
Forward
- Suarez (32 goals, 12 assists 2013/14; 49 goals in 2009/10).
- Eto’o (37 goals, 15 assists 2010/11),​

Midfield
- Vidal (18 goals, 5 assists 2012/13),
- Di Maria (7 goals, 22 assists 2013/14),
- Koke (7 goals, 15 assists 2013/14).​

Thus, the burden of creativity and scoring are spread throughout the team.

2. a. The players in attack and midfield are all experienced in playing multiple positions. It makes them flexible in launching attack from various positions, and difficult to be marked out.
- Suarez: CF, SS, WF
- Eto'o: CF, SS, WF
- Vidal: CM, DM
- Di Maria and Koke: CM, AMC, WF.​

b. Gifted with high technique, the trio amigos in midfield (Di Maria, Koke, Vidal) have insane stamina to skilfully marries attacking and defending. Also, the three have high teamwork attribute to work as a compact unit.

3. Defence is protected by experienced big game players. Defensive Midfielder and all defenders are Champions League winners. Lahm, Boateng, and Mascherano were integral parts of teams that won/reached 2014 World Cup final.

In Lahm, Chivu, and Boateng, this team have the best passer of defence in the whole draft. This enables the team to release pressure when being attack, or to switch and launch quick counter-attack.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ah.. it was Mata.. I do not under stand that change. Mata in that number 10 role is great especially with those two forwards in front of him. Di Maria is more mercurial and allows you to target JuanFran perhaps.

Skills

Snitch
It looks like Isotope's got the head of his 4-2-3-1 pointing the wrong way.

Skills

Snitch
If he lines up this way, his formation actually makes an excellent arrow.

Might've missed a trick here.

Annahnomoss

Ah.. it was Mata.. I do not under stand that change. Mata in that number 10 role is great especially with those two forwards in front of him. Di Maria is more mercurial and allows you to target JuanFran perhaps.
I think defensively it makes a lot of sense. Letting Evra-Ribery run riot against Chivu and Muller-Juanfran doubling up on Lahm all game would be a nightmare I would say. Lahm-Koke and Di Maria-Chivu however makes it a very even game.

Di Maria-Vidal-Koke with Mascherano in there as well makes for a very tight central midfield and they're all really aggressive in the defense.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I see Mata as more of finisher. Although he's less in goal threat, but Di Maria fits in with my theme of high pressing style, and more of a provider to the forwards. I fancy my strikers against those two, where at A. Madrid they are protected by two DM in Gabi and Thiago. Defensively, these two are much better than Cambiasso - Kroos.

Agreed that the team lack in width, so Di Maria it is. He and Koke (when needed) can go wide or go through the middle.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

Would love to hear more from team Skizzo about how you will be defending. So many players who are great at pressing but not a mention of it!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Skizzo isn't here so I will cover for him.

You've assembled a fine all action and a dynamic team Iso but I have a fundamental issue with your set up.

A key flaw in your side is a lack of a metronomic playmaker who can control the ebb and flow of the game and/or dictate the tempo.

Vidal, Koke and Di Maria are good incisive passers but aren't capable of 'running' a game so to say.

Koke (who I personally am a huge fan of) is a terrific passer of the ball but still needs a bit more refinement to his passing game and experience to truly run a game like a Xavi for eg. As such he generally plays as a wide directish playmaker with a cracking final ball for the direct Atleti. He could develop into an orchestrator in the future and has the raw tools for it but certainly isn't one right now.

Vidal and Di Maria are extremely direct all action players who are generally forward oriented in their movement and passing (less so for the former but it is still generally his style on the ball). The latter is guilty of losing possession frequently as well.

Mascherano is decent on the ball but is no Busquets/Alonso which is what is required here or even a Cambiasso.

Your lack of a calming midfield presence is further compounded by their extremely direct and risk taking front duo and it will lead to too many turn overs and the serious lack of an ability to establish control of the match like was stated in the OP by Skizzo.

It will make for a terrific viewing and I'll pay to watch your all action team play but will it be able to gain or maintain control of proceedings here? Even high octane direct/counter attacking teams generally have a calming midfield presence to complement their high tempo peers which I believe you will sorely miss here.

Anyway good luck Isotope, looking forward to see how this plays out.

@Annahnomoss will address your query in a while.

NoPace

Iso's team will lose the ball a fair amount and that means Skizzo can break, but I think Iso has just enough to eke out a 2-1 win by playing up tempo and Di Maria and Koke's ability to pick out Suarez or Etoo with through balls, crosses and whatever in between.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Would love to hear more from team Skizzo about how you will be defending. So many players who are great at pressing but not a mention of it!
As stated above we believe Iso will struggle to establish control of the match and our pressing would look to exploit that.

Our forward line and midfield trio are capable of pressing intensely and intelligently with everyone bar Cambiasso having exposure to Pep's intense and meticulous off the ball systems. Whilst we wouldn't be pressing like mad men in a Bielsa system, we would instruct our midfield and forward line to press intelligently (with a particular focus on his Koke-Di Maria-Vidal trio), cut off passing lanes and look to encourage Iso's players direct and slightly risky play and passing inclinations.

Whilst his team has a brilliant high tempo midfield and forward line capable of even doing a better pressing job on us, the difference is that we have composed and intelligent players such as Cambiasso, Kroos, Iniesta and Ribéry who can take a step back, retain possession and take the sting out of the game which could very well prove to be vital here. This means we can deal with his team on the ball better than vice versa and negate the impact of his team's high industry, a significant strength of his team, to a certain extent.

His team obviously isn't a pack of gung ho spackers running wild, before someone gets me wrong but we do believe that we have the team with better intelligence and guile about who can attain the edge here.

Another key point is our strong flanks against his narrow set up which generally proves to be a significant advantage in our favor. However, he does have a pretty industrious midfield who can deal with this better than most we concede but I'll just like to add that his side midfielders (Koke and Di Maria) will have their hands full helping their FBs against an extremely intelligent team with rapier like movement and brilliant passers capable of playing defense splitting passes, both of whom can exploit the tiniest of openings.

@Joga Bonito Good post. Agree with the lack of playmaking in the team.
Eh stop being so nice. You make me feel bad :(.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The lack of the calming midfield presence in Iso's team isn't a problem as he's clearly set-up for quick counters and to rough up the pretty midfield of Skizzo. Also having Boateng, Chivu and Lahm the counters will come. Now it would be preferable to have wingers for Iso but since Eto'o and Suarez are quick and are comfortable out-wide it isn't a huge problem. If Skizzo makes the pressing game work then this will entirely stop and will depend a lot I think on Mascherno's performance on the ball, although Koke and Vidal can drop deeper so may be it won't be as much of an issue. Also I'm not sure how the Athletico defense will work playing in a possession orientated team - they could be susceptible on the counter especially against Iso's front two.

Leaning towards Iso at the mo

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Eh stop being so nice. You make me feel bad :(.
I seriously think your team have more chance to win in the Final than me. Theon would beat MJJ and get Ronaldinho. Even with further upgrade, my team is not equipped for that, and it will be a disappointing Final, if I ever make through. And seems like yours will win this one anyway.

It's not that bad. I have Mata comforting me now on the bench.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Skizzo has the Atletico defence, but Iso has the Atletico-style midfield in their industry and shape.

MJJ

I seriously think your team have more chance to win in the Final than me. Theon would beat MJJ and get Ronaldinho. Even with further upgrade, my team is not equipped for that, and it will be a disappointing Final, if I ever make through. And seems like yours will win this one anyway.

:( Thanks for the support.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The lack of the calming midfield presence in Iso's team isn't a problem as he's clearly set-up for quick counters a
Fair enough but even the best counter attacking teams generally have an accurate and a reliable long range passer who can set them on the counter from deep, spread play, occasionally take the sting out of the game and reorganise the team/midfield when necessary. Koke is his best bet here but like I've said before, he hasn't made the transition to a metronomic midfielder yet and is currently a fairly direct wide playmaker with a cracking delivery from out wide. Basically more of an incisive attacking midfielder than a deeper and cultured metronome.

Besides employing an extreme counter attacking style against a team which is not using a high line (which is quite frankly suicidal against the pace of Eto'o, Suarez and Di Maria) nor a heavy possession system wouldn't be ideal.

Also I'm not sure how the Athletico defense will work playing in a possession orientated team - they could be susceptible on the counter especially against Iso's front two.
We will have the edge in possession ofc but we are neither utilizing an extreme possession based nor a high line like tiki taka system here.

Come on mate. This match isn't over yet by a long shot and you do have a shot at winning the final if you get that metronomic midfielder. Theon does have his fair share of weaknesses like the rest of the semi finalists and the other semi final isn't over yet. :p

Was on the verge of posting something that would have made Skizzo fire me :lol:

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Fair enough but even the best counter attacking teams generally have an accurate and a reliable long range passer who can set them on the counter from deep, spread play, occasionally take the sting out of the game and reorganise the team/midfield when necessary. Koke is his best bet here but like I've said before, he hasn't made the transition to a metronomic midfielder yet and is currently a fairly direct wide playmaker with a cracking delivery from out wide. Basically more of an incisive attacking midfielder than a deeper and cultured metronome.
It's true he'd be better with Xabi Alonso in there but Lahm, Chivu and Boateng are all pretty decent passers so starting counters and spreading the play won't be too difficult. He doesn't have a controlling midfielder here but given his set-up that aspect isn't a huge issue.

We will have the edge in possession ofc but we are neither utilizing an extreme possession based nor a high line like tiki taka system here.
True but against quality opposition not having the luxury of a deep and organised defence could be a problem for Skizzo's back four given what they're used to especially with Di Maria, Suarez and Eto'o coming at pace.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The whole team is pretty even except for the strikers in which Iso's are in a different tier to Skizzo's. I'm nor sure Iniesta instead of Silva was a big upgrade in this formation and style of play. Ribery definitely was a big upgrade.

One thing that hasn't been noted is Skizzo's lack of pace. It's all focused on the left flank.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The whole team is pretty even except for the strikers in which Iso's are in a different tier to Skizzo's. I'm nor sure Iniesta instead of Silva was a big upgrade in this formation and style of play. Ribery definitely was a big upgrade.

One thing that hasn't been noted is Skizzo's lack of pace. It's all focused on the left flank.
I addressed the reasons for Iniesta's pick here. We think it was the pick which improved us most tactically.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-modern-current-players-draft.401628/page-61#post-17275974

On the lack of pace issue. Ribéry and Evra is a pacy flank like you've stated but so is Juanfran whilst Müller's pace tends to be underrated imo. Lewa is fairly pacey and Iniesta is no slouch either with an impressive burst off the mark, which allied with his silky close control makes him such an elusive dribbler.

NoPace

I think Skizzo was a bit hamstrung wanting to keep the Atletico backline and Bayern frontline together.

NoPace

Iso, did you go with Chivu + Di Maria over Alaba + Mata? I think this would have seen you closer:

---Suarez--Eto'o--
-------Mata------
--Vidal-----Koke--
----Mascherano---
Alaba---------Lahm
---Pepe-Boateng--
------Navas-------

The only real argument against that team is the lack of attacking width, and Suarez is happy to move wide and take on players on the left and Koke is a crossing threat even narrow on the right, as well as the energetic fullbacks.

Annahnomoss

Iso, did you go with Chivu + Di Maria over Alaba + Mata? I think this would have seen you closer:

---Suarez--Eto'o--
-------Mata------
--Vidal-----Koke--
----Mascherano---
Alaba---------Lahm
---Pepe-Boateng--
------Navas-------

The only real argument against that team is the lack of attacking width, and Suarez is happy to move wide and take on players on the left and Koke is a crossing threat even narrow on the right, as well as the energetic fullbacks.
I think the biggest issue would be the defense of it rather. Alaba up against Muller and Juanfran and Lahm up against Ribery and Evra. Would have been a very clear advantage for Skizzo/Joga in that case.

He would have needed someone like Cole as a LB with Lahm as a RB to play the diamond against such high quality full back/winger pairings without sacrificing too much.

Annahnomoss

As stated above we believe Iso will struggle to establish control of the match and our pressing would look to exploit that.

Our forward line and midfield trio are capable of pressing intensely and intelligently with everyone bar Cambiasso having exposure to Pep's intense and meticulous off the ball systems. Whilst we wouldn't be pressing like mad men in a Bielsa system, we would instruct our midfield and forward line to press intelligently (with a particular focus on his Koke-Di Maria-Vidal trio), cut off passing lanes and look to encourage Iso's players direct and slightly risky play and passing inclinations.

Whilst his team has a brilliant high tempo midfield and forward line capable of even doing a better pressing job on us, the difference is that we have composed and intelligent players such as Cambiasso, Kroos, Iniesta and Ribéry who can take a step back, retain possession and take the sting out of the game which could very well prove to be vital here. This means we can deal with his team on the ball better than vice versa and negate the impact of his team's high industry, a significant strength of his team, to a certain extent.

His team obviously isn't a pack of gung ho spackers running wild, before someone gets me wrong but we do believe that we have the team with better intelligence and guile about who can attain the edge here.

Another key point is our strong flanks against his narrow set up which generally proves to be a significant advantage in our favor. However, he does have a pretty industrious midfield who can deal with this better than most we concede but I'll just like to add that his side midfielders (Koke and Di Maria) will have their hands full helping their FBs against an extremely intelligent team with rapier like movement and brilliant passers capable of playing defense splitting passes, both of whom can exploit the tiniest of openings.
Cheers for going more in depth on it and not shying away from it even if it can often be a negative to give out too much info.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Skizzo's team will have possession, but I actually don't see them scoring. Lahm/Boateng are capable of handling Ribery and though Muller's movement might open up avenue's but with Mascherano there, I really don't see them causing much damage in the final third.

Iso will not have / lose possession often due to direct to goal nature of his players, but he definitely will have a better % of converting his chances. The lack of a dedicated AM will make Cambiasso's job so much more difficult and the movement offered by his midfield and attack gets him the edge here. Iso gets my vote.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I see Skizzo got rid of the problematic Silva. I'd argue he needed more beefing up elsewhere, but the upside is no one can possibly question the positioning of his three AMs now :lol: Loving that front four though and finding it very hard not to vote for it straight away. Iso has a good side, even if not instantly as attractive. The problem for me is that Chivu-Pepe axis, looks more vulnerable than anything you see elsewhere on the pitch.

Also, Handanovic vs. Navas must be the worst pair of keepers ever to feature in a semi. A better keeper for either could have gone a long way here because it is THAT tight.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
though Muller's movement might open up avenue's but with Mascherano there, I really don't see them causing much damage in the final third.
Müller (with the support of Juanfran and Di Maria defensively for Iso) is primarily up against Chivu and Pepe which we believe is a favorable match for us with Mascherano having his hands full with Iniesta.

Whilst he does have two fantastic strikers, they are up against the rock solid Atleti duo who are ably assisted by Cambiasso if they drop deep or if any of his midfielder make forward runs. So I don't see how the lack of an AM will make Cambiasso's job so much more difficult. He has the reading of the game to track runners or make it harder for either of the strike duo when they are dropping deep. Mascherano has a harder task than Cambiasso here with Iniesta on his hands imo.

Anyway I feel you are severely underrating our attack here if you don't think we'll score. Müller should have some joy here against Chivu with his elusive runs and Pepe has never been a great defender who could struggle against Lewa (as he did in Lewa's 4 goal masterclass against Real) and Müller cutting in.

Lahm and Boateng will make it hard for Ribéry no doubt but you are not taking Evra's impact into account here. Without an orthodox winger to take keep his eye on, he'll thrive making his forward runs. Ribéry and Evra probably make up the best left flank in the draft right now and they'll together get the better of Lahm and Koke imo.

Koke is a proper grafter and is fine defensively but will find it a tough ask to function as a side midfielder both tracking Evra's frequent forays forward whilst also contributing to the midfield battle. Even in the wide midfielder ala Atleti role here he'll still probably find it tough as that's how good Evra and Ribéry are.

Of the 14 goals that Atletico Madrid have conceded from open play, 8 have come from crosses, with the left side of defence proving to be slightly weaker (5). This may pertain to the fact that Koke is more frequently dribbled past, and Juanfran’s better judgment of offensive passes on the right side of defence

You could have Boateng frequently helping out on the left which leaves Pepe one on one against Lewa which will work in our favor.

Anyway I'd back our attack to have a higher chance of scoring than his.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

---Suarez--Eto'o--
-------Mata------
--Vidal-----Koke--
----Mascherano---
Alaba---------Lahm
---Pepe-Boateng--
------Navas-------

Never seen Chivu is viewed as the weakest link in the draft before. He's technical player with good defending and passer as well. He captained Romania 75 times, while a regular side of 3 Serie A and Champions League winner. He can be upgraded of course, but not like he's Albiol. Defending wise, I even take Chivu over Evra or Juanfran (for instance).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ribery Iniesta and Muller.. three brilliant big match players swung this tight game for me.

Annahnomoss

Two amazing teams here. I also agree that the Silva trade was very odd - honestly didn't think it made a big difference but pointless to discuss "What if's" rather than the team at display.

Both teams has an incredible pressing unit up front and like Joga/Skizzo pointed out their ability to keep possession will mean that they will handle the opponents pressing better. Isotopes pressing would most likely start after the team has regained defensive positions and primarily appear as very aggressive defending as every player in that midfield and attack are world class defensively.

What I like about Isotopes team is that it is perfectly set up for this match. Vidal, Di Maria and Koke all have the ability to support Eto'o and Suarez in every way possible. Suarez and Di Maria linking up and interchanging wide left and Eto'o and Koke doing the same on the right - with Vidal just bombarding up and down the pitch.

The back five of Isotope looks ideal in this regard too, Chivu has a great range of passing and composure and as does Lahm and Mascherano. So behind that front 5 of aggressive individual brilliance there is a great balance too.

With Chivu-Mascherano-Lahm forming a very composed and defensive line even when Isotope is attacking and with Pepe and Boateng who look like a complementary partnership it all looks very good. It would naturally turn to a very narrow 4-4-2 I believe, similar to Atletico when Mascherano and Vidal defends together. I doubt Vidal will stay in front of Mascherano, that would be odd.

Then we have Skizzo who will have the majority of possession here and he has Evra-Ribery on the left which is about as good of a left flank that you can have in this draft. Evra was immense offensively, the only full back I'd say is better offensively is Alves.

Unfortunately they are up against Lahm and Koke who are as good defensively as it gets for a winger/full back pairing in this draft.

On the other side Muller and Juanfran are up against Chivu and Di Maria and I don't agree that Chivu is a good match up for Muller. Chivu is comfortable tracking Mullers runs and following him in the CB area as Chivu was as comfortable there as he was out wide.

It would open up space for Juanfran however and Di Maria would have the job there. I expect Muller to tease Chivu with a run towards the central area perfectly timed with a Juanfran overlap plenty of times. Di Maria won't be able to contain Juanfran from putting some crosses(high/low or short passes in to the box) in over the course of the game.

I think that I would have preferred seeing Skizzo/Joga play a less intricate-all dynamic front four in this particular game. Focusing on attacking primarily down the flanks with Ribery/Evra and Muller/Juanfran.

Skizzo

Two amazing teams here. I also agree that the Silva trade was very odd - honestly didn't think it made a big difference but pointless to discuss "What if's" rather than the team at display.
Biggest reason was because up until now, Silva had been criticized in every game. Either for not having enough influence attacking, or being a passenger in the midfield on defence. Iniesta solves both of those problems.

Both teams has an incredible pressing unit up front and like Joga/Skizzo pointed out their ability to keep possession will mean that they will handle the opponents pressing better. Isotopes pressing would most likely start after the team has regained defensive positions and primarily appear as very aggressive defending as every player in that midfield and attack are world class defensively.

What I like about Isotopes team is that it is perfectly set up for this match. Vidal, Di Maria and Koke all have the ability to support Eto'o and Suarez in every way possible. Suarez and Di Maria linking up and interchanging wide left and Eto'o and Koke doing the same on the right - with Vidal just bombarding up and down the pitch.

The back five of Isotope looks ideal in this regard too, Chivu has a great range of passing and composure and as does Lahm and Mascherano. So behind that front 5 of aggressive individual brilliance there is a great balance too.

With Chivu-Mascherano-Lahm forming a very composed and defensive line even when Isotope is attacking and with Pepe and Boateng who look like a complementary partnership it all looks very good. It would naturally turn to a very narrow 4-4-2 I believe, similar to Atletico when Mascherano and Vidal defends together. I doubt Vidal will stay in front of Mascherano, that would be odd.
The biggest advantage to our ability to retain possession, is that when that midfield unit does indeed press (which I agree, he does have great players for it) they're going to be dragged wide to make up for the lack of wingers, meaning spaces will open up. We have the players to find and exploit those spaces.

Then we have Skizzo who will have the majority of possession here and he has Evra-Ribery on the left which is about as good of a left flank that you can have in this draft. Evra was immense offensively, the only full back I'd say is better offensively is Alves.

Unfortunately they are up against Lahm and Koke who are as good defensively as it gets for a winger/full back pairing in this draft.

On the other side Muller and Juanfran are up against Chivu and Di Maria and I don't agree that Chivu is a good match up for Muller. Chivu is comfortable tracking Mullers runs and following him in the CB area as Chivu was as comfortable there as he was out wide.

It would open up space for Juanfran however and Di Maria would have the job there. I expect Muller to tease Chivu with a run towards the central area perfectly timed with a Juanfran overlap plenty of times. Di Maria won't be able to contain Juanfran from putting some crosses(high/low or short passes in to the box) in over the course of the game.
Agree on his right side is strong defensively. The best thing that comes out of that for us is that it will help limit Lahm offering too much going forward. Obviously he's the best full back in the draft, and will still be able to link up...but with Ribery and Evra both able to attack with speed, it means he'll have to focus on defence more than he'd like to. Chivu and Pepe to track the runs of Muller will keep their hands full as it is, even without Juanfran. With him making to support and overlap, he'll have the space to put some dangerous balls into the box and pick out a man.
I think that I would have preferred seeing Skizzo/Joga play a less intricate-all dynamic front four in this particular game. Focusing on attacking primarily down the flanks with Ribery/Evra and Muller/Juanfran.
We still have the attacks down the flanks, and they will be used to drag some of those central players wide, giving Iniesta and Kroos more space to operate. Iniesta works well in tight spaces anyway, but he'll thrive with all the movement ahead of him and on the wings.

Skizzo

Apologies for not being around too much so far. My daughter wasn't feeling too well today, so I was with her. Fortunately my AM was able to fill in :) and I didn't have to fire him for what he almost said :lol: