g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Modern Draft - Semi Finals 1: Skizzo vs Isotope

At players career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I also agree that the Silva trade was very odd - honestly didn't think it made a big difference but pointless to discuss "What if's" rather than the team at display.
Just saw this so responding to it now.

Fair enough but we really do believe that he adds a lot to our midfield and as a whole tactically. Trust me, we were delighted when we got Silva and never in our wildest dreams did we think we would have been upgrading Silva at any point. Only Iniesta was better in his role as an attacking playmaker (not including overly direct types ala Kaka or Ronaldinho) and it wasn't that great an individual upgrade to be brutally honest. So we really did have strong reasons behind that trade and do think it makes a pretty big difference overall.

We did have a lengthy discussion on our 2nd pick and we simply felt Iniesta as a whole offered a significant upgrade, not individually as a Muppet pick but rather as a whole tactically.

We had issues with certain voters voicing concerns over Kroos pulling his weight defensively in a midfield pivot of sorts with Silva being more of a pure #10 without the necessary industry (but has pressing) or the ability to drop deep to make it a midfield trio of sorts without the ball. With Iniesta's work rate and his ability to slot in as part of a midfield trio when needed, it significantly improved our midfield as a whole both functionally and individual wise.

We also felt that our attack was getting overlooked at times and ultimately didn't get their fair share of dues. Whilst we felt that Sterling-Silva-Müller-Lewa would have been a brilliant and a selfless front 4 brimming with team ethic, there was a bit of individualism and X factor missing there with too many of them being just viewed as supporting players and not sole match winners. Anyway that was the vibe I got during match day discussions.

The addition of Ribéry and Iniesta completely changes that and I'll stick my head out and say that we probably have the most balanced attack here, striking the right blend of creativity, goalscoring prowess, individualism and team ethic.

Add Iniesta's obvious quality - for me, the third best player in the draft after Xavi and Ronaldinho - and it became a no brainer. Iniesta also has a great platform to shine here with midfield partners Kroos-Cambiasso extremely comfortable in possession and being excellent passers whilst fellow forwards Ribéry-Müller-Lewa are terrific technically with great link up play and capable of being on the same wave length as the magical Spaniard. Kroos, Ribéry, Müller and Lewa also have the experience of playing in Pep's extreme systems which is a nice bonus too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Fair enough but we really do believe that he adds a lot to our midfield and as a whole tactically. Trust me, we were delighted when we got Silva and never in our wildest dreams did we think we would have been upgrading Silva at any point. Only Iniesta was better in his role as an attacking playmaker (not including overly direct types ala Kaka or Ronaldinho) and it wasn't that great an individual upgrade to be brutally honest. So we really did have strong reasons behind that trade and do think it makes a pretty big difference overall.
It was a good pick IMO. While his stock may have fallen, he's still up there with the very best in the pool and beyond that alongside the likes of Zidane and Michael Laudrup.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
It was a good pick IMO. While his stock may have fallen, he's still up there with the very best in the pool and beyond that alongside the likes of Zidane and Michael Laudrup.
Agreed, although in fairness to Annah I think it was the tactical reasoning behind that reinforcement he was questioning rather than the individual quality of Iniesta. It was a reasonable query as Silva wasn't in urgent need of getting upgraded but we did have our reasons behind that move.

Reinforcements are proving to be quite tricky though with the shockingly poor depth in certain positions, post 90 player requirement and more importantly the nationality rule.

Annahnomoss

Agreed, although in fairness to Annah I think it was the tactical reasoning behind that reinforcement he was questioning rather than the individual quality of Iniesta. It was a reasonable query as Silva wasn't in urgent need of getting upgraded but we did have our reasons behind that move.

Reinforcements are proving to be quite tricky though with the shockingly poor depth in certain positions, post 90 player requirement and more importantly the nationality rule.
I hadn't gone in depth to see the options for replacing Juanfran. But I thought that Silva in the team somehow would look great. He's up there with the Bayern wingers in terms of abilities from out wide and only Iniesta is better than him as a pure AM - and he's played the pressing game for Spain and been their key width during all their success.

Iniesta is slightly better centrally than Silva - then Ribery is slightly better of an upgrade than Silva as well as a playmaking left winger.

Like I said I still don't know if you guys are allowed to pick from the teams who went out last round or anything. I am sure if I knew the rules of it and limitations I'd be more understanding.

I thought Juanfran could be replaced by Maicon from the first round exits from the way that post looks in the thread.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This. I actually rate Iniesta on par with Zidane, with the bonus of being more consistently effective. Laudrup... nah, similar, but you know my thoughts on Laudrup :drool:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

I think it was an excellent reinforcement. You and Skizzo drafted well enough from the outset that you didn't really have any blatant weak links at this stage that would open the door to a massive individual upgrade. Bringing Iniesta in for Silva did, however, bring you arguably the greatest big-match pedigree in the whole draft as well as addressing positional and defensive arguments against your team. In terms of controlling a game, Cambiasso-Kroos and Iniesta supported by Muller and Ribery is top notch too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think that midfield would be too weak when defending. And with only Lewa as a genuine goalscorer, against potentially T. Silva and Vidic, I don't think it will work.

Iniesta is good at this stage. Although with the option of getting Kaka or Ronaldinho in the next round, I'd rather keep Silva there.