The most consistent clubs

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I came across a Youtube video dealing with the relegation battle on the last day of the 2004/05 season and what struck me that, for as long as I have been following football, WBA have been either a bottom half/relegation Premier League side or strong contenders for promotion to the Championship. Nothing more, nothing less.

I tried to come up with a similar example - a club maintaining the same level for so long. The only ones I could think of are Nottingham Forest, who have the longest Championship tenure out of all the Championship clubs and seem to constantly be a top half Championship side without ever actually achieving promotion, although they did have a couple of brushes with relegation over the years.

Everton are possibly another example, although, once again, not as consistent as WBA are.

Add your own.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Oldham were in league one for 21 season's upto their relegation in 2018.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Oldham were in league one for 21 season's upto their relegation in 2018.
Rochdale had a mega run in League Two. 36 seasons in a row ending with promotion in 2010.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/roch.htm

Thinking on and looking at that in more detail they were lucky in the early days of that. In those days teams in the bottom 4 of League Two (or Division 4 as it was) and the teams at the top of non-league would put themselves forward to be voted in or out of the division by the other clubs, no automatic promotion/relegation. Rochdale survived votes in 77/78 and 79/80, finishing last twice and also 81/82 (21st) and 83/84 (22nd).

Was a bullshit system. Chairmen who were friends with each other voting for their mates and there might well have been bribes too. Teams in the extreme North and South would find it hard to get in as it meant further for clubs to travel, and teams who could bring more fans to away games would be favoured too as it meant an extra few quid through the turnstiles when it was time to play them.

Last edited:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Wengers Top4 record with Arsenal deserves a mention I think

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leverkusen haven't won a title in almost 30 years, yet they are comfortably 3rd in terms of points won over that time span.