The most impressive thing in sport

DVG7

I’ve had the discussion before with a few mates about what’s more difficult; a 9 dart finish, or a 147 break in snooker?

What are some other impressive things across the sporting world, and let’s see if we can some to a consensus and announced a pound for pound number 1.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You'll find some inspiration in this thread probably.

Between a 9-darter and a 147-finish: my instinct says 9-darter is harder, but surely the percentages of its occurrences would give a better indication.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I’ve had the discussion before with a few mates about what’s more difficult; a 9 dart finish, or a 147 break in snooker?

What are some other impressive things across the sporting world, and let’s see if we can some to a consensus and announced a pound for pound number 1.
Darts and Snooker are not sports. So there’s that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Between a 9-darter and a 147-finish: my instinct says 9-darter is harder, but surely the percentages of its occurrences would give a better indication.
My brother has hit 7 out of 9 darts. He’s never played a professional game of darts on his life. It’s rare. But it’s not hard.

Copa Mundial

Whilst not particularly interested in gymnastics I'm still amazed by how women do backflips and somersaults on the beam and land them. The margin for error is incredible. Unbelievable skill required.

DVG7

Making back to back full court three pointers in basketball, or consecutive punt return touchdowns?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Making back to back full court three pointers in basketball, or consecutive punt return touchdowns?
They're not set things though, are they?

Hitting a baseball is often thrown up as one - given that the top players only manage it just over 30% of their at bats.

DVG7

They're not set things though, are they?

Hitting a baseball is often thrown up as one - given that the top players only manage it just over 30% of their at bats.
just speculating really

Carolina Red

Staff
Joe Sewell struck out 3 times in 503 at bats during the 1932 baseball season.

He only struck out 114 times in 7,132 career at bats.

Compare his strike out/at bat ratio of 1 per 62.5 at bats to the current active leader in that category with 1 per 10.37 at bats.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Absolutely no way in hell a 9 dart leg is harder than a 147.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Absolutely no way in hell a 9 dart leg is harder than a 147.
I agree wholeheartedly. As a novice in both sports I would bet large amounts I would fluke a 9 dart finish before a 147. I can barely get a break of 8 or 9 when I play snooker but I can chuck the odd treble top.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I agree wholeheartedly. As a novice in both sports I would bet large amounts I would fluke a 9 dart finish before a 147. I can barely get a break of 8 or 9 when I play snooker but I can chuck the odd treble top.
I didn’t mean for noobs like us, it’s much easier to fluke a 9 darter. If you’d have O’Sullivan for a 147 against MVG for a 9 darter, it would be a lot closer.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not really a sport though is it, with her not competing against anyone. Bloody impressive though, no question.
I figured the question was quite open. In terms of the activity it's a sport and she's obviously pushed that to one of its extreme forms.

Bobski

Marathon In under 2 hours is nuts too
Yes, when the gyms are back open people should try putting the speed on the treadmill to 21 kmph and seeing how long they can maintain it. That is near enough to a sprint for most people and Kipchoge maintained it for 2 hours. Just insane.

DVG7

Yes, when the gyms are back open people should try putting the speed on the treadmill to 21 kmph and seeing how long they can maintain it. That is near enough to a sprint for most people and Kipchoge maintained it for 2 hours. Just insane.
every running record I check, my brain can’t quite compute it.

Bobski

every running record I check, my brain can’t quite compute it.
422 100m in a row ran at 17 seconds for that 2 hour marathon, it is just absurd.

The speed that the top cyclists go up mountains is also insane.

paulscholes18

:lol: never heard that before, do you mean Treble 20 or double top

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If rock climbing counts: Alex Honnold's free solo ascent of El Capitan.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Do the gym treadmills even go to 21 km/h? Anyway:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
both officially classed as sport
Unfortunately that is quite correct. In fact both could become Olympic sports based upon their structure.

Anyway. I would have to say that Paula Radcliffe London Marathon time of 2 hours 15 minutes has to rank right up there with the very best.

sallycinnamin

With the nine darter it's either in or not it's not going to fly out of the treble 20 bed into the 17s or 19s, however the amount of times flukes or shot to nothings have started a 147 and in between the break luck and flukes have contributed to many 147s. Coupled with brilliance granted. Phil Taylor hitting 2 nine darters and going on for three was really something v James Wade.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I watched this a little while back. His doctors told him he’s probably shaved a couple of decades off his life in training for it

Did a bit of catching up on the whole story of this, it must certainly be up there with the most incredible feats. Absolutely insane (and not entirely in a good way).