The Most Under-rated Footballers in History

Luke1995

Definitely not legend material - but I had a personal liking to arshavin for some reason especially after that euros. Thought he was a Russian legend during a time where they simply aren't too good.
If he had managed to keep the form he showed between 2007-2009 he could have been a legend. That game at Anfield on 2009 was as high-paced and open as football can get and it was wonderful to watch him peaking there. The only other performance which left me as stunned as that day was Messi against Arsenal in 2010. For some reason after the 2009-10 season he just lost it. Stranger decline than Torres. If Arsenal fans think Ozil is lazy they forgot about that guy. Still, when he was interested, was incredible.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
John Charles
Michael Laudrup
Juan Roman Riquelme
Juan Carlos Valeron

I think many don't realise how absolutely world class Charles and Laudrup were, while i think Riquelme and Valeron are under-appreciated because they almost doesn't quite belong in the modern era of pace and power, but both unbelievable playmakers
:drool::drool: Laudrup was a genius, you watch him and you'll think that Iniesta isn't that unique in his way of play. Laudrup was the faster and goalscoring version.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I agree with Big Dunc that he stayed at Everton too long and missed the opportunity to showcase his peak level at a top club.
To be honest, I thought that Arteta stayed in Scotland 4-5 years (and not 2) before joining Everton 2-3 years and joining Arsenal later, which also explained my initial post.

He left Rangers to come back in Spain (La Sociedad) at the age of 22: his career could have been very different if he had stayed there until a so-called great club acquire him.

Clubs like Barcelona/Real Madrid didn't need him but there are top clubs like Valencia that could have been interested.

Also, the recruiters are better nowadays for obvious reasons.

Arteta stayed at Everton to long that was his problem. When he finally moved to Arsenal it was to late as the cruciate injury that he suffered had taken away his mobility. Wonderful player, very similar to Modric in that centre midfield role but obviously not as good.
True, at the end of the day, he had a very nice career very probably in line with his talent/mindset

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
i think Riquelme and Valeron are under-appreciated because they almost doesn't quite belong in the modern era of pace and power, but both unbelievable playmakers
I always wondered how far Riquelme could have gone if he'd played 30 years earlier. Totally different player, but this goes for Mario Gomez too.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't know that he's underrated per se ... more forgotten. Matthias Sindelar - Der Papierene, one of the most influential players in the history of the game and the spark that brought the Wunderteam to life in the 30s. Lost in the politics and upheaval of central Europe in the 30s (and kicked to pieces in Italy by the hosts in the '34 World Cup in one of the darkest eras in FIFA's history as the referees were intimidated out of doing anything by the Fascist state around them), his name doesn't come up with post war stars like Di Stefano or Puskas that benefited from much greater exposure, but he was the Cruyff of his day and dramatically changed the way attacking football was played.

Zlatattack

Ashley Cole - He was probably the best player in the world (or top 3) in his position during his Chelsea days yet the mention of a golden generation revolves around Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard etc.

buchansleftleg

Arnold Muhren...a class player in an era of hard tackles, "reducers" and poor pitches.One of a very small number of overseas players in England at the time.

Always seemed to find the right pass, hold the ball and move elegantly across the potato patches that passed as pitches back in the day.

Won all the European titles including helping lowly Ipswich town to win the Uefa Cup.

Still playing for Holland at 37 he passed the ball to Van Basten for THAT goal.

And he did all this with a middle name of Hyancinthus!

Others took the headlines but Arnold was usually pivotal to the move.

Bobski

I'll put him in now: Arjen Robben.

Already being forgotten as one of the best of his generation and comfortably able to challenge for a start in Holland's all-time xi. A definite all-time great.

On the subject of Dutch great wing-forwards, Resenbrink was already mentioned, so I'll put forward Piet Keizer and Coujin Mouljin as well as Faas Wilkes even though I only had Kiezer in mind when I saw Resenbrink mentioned.

Still on the Dutch and a player who easily has a dog in the fight for best CM of all-time in Johan Neeskens is one of the most under-mentioned players because he really should be raved about given how sublime a player he was. He is actually criminally underrated because it shouldn't only be drafters and those with an interest in historic football mentioning him.
Robben looked the best in the world at the last World Cup, carried a poor team. I think the game has evolved perfectly to fit his game, his great strength has always been cutting in and getting a shot off. The trend towards inverted wide forwards has allowed him to concentrate on goalscoring.

He is and has been a great player but he is not one I particularly enjoy watching. Lacks some of the artistry that I want to see from great players. Part of it is his running style, an irrational reason to mark down a great player but there you go. Have constantly wondered why defenders allow him to come inside and shoot on his left, everyone knows that is what he is looking for, still finds a way to do it. Spams that move like an annoying FIFA player.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
A modern player that is IMO quite underrated is Miralem Pjanic.

His passing range is unbelievable and he has such an ease with the ball. He's brilliant every time I watch Juventus and one of their most important players.

And yet only a few rate him as a top 10 midfielder in the world.

Schneckerl

Zidane might have more iconic moments, but it's hard to argue that he was a better football player than Platini.

No idea how people in France see it, but it seems Zidane gets a lot more attention in all time great discussions.

The gap between Platini, Zico and Maradona isn't as big as most people assume it is today.

Uwe Seeler had his career right in between the two WC winning teams and refused to move abroad despite recieving insane offers.

The old Luis Suarez had a fantastic career, but I feel like he might be forgotten a bit due to the recent Spanish generation.

Last edited:

Mal donaghy

Steve Bruce , never got an international cap!! Even though him and Gary pallister were the best defensive partnership in the premier league for years.
I remember Tony Adams always getting the nod instead :mad:

Danny Roberts

I never really understand the word "underrated". As far as I can tell it just means that one person or a small group disagree with other people.

Home&Away

Ashley Cole - He was probably the best player in the world (or top 3) in his position during his Chelsea days yet the mention of a golden generation revolves around Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard etc.
Good choice - should go down as one of the best LB's to play the game; unfortunately the guy had to play for England

Zlatattack

Good choice - should go down as one of the best LB's to play the game; unfortunately the guy had to play for England
I think he's really under-rated in Britain. The tabloid press doesn't help, neither do some of his personal antics. Having said that though, Giggs was porking his brothers wife and it hasn't taken the shine off his legend.

Home&Away

I think he's really under-rated in Britain. The tabloid press doesn't help, neither do some of his personal antics. Having said that though, Giggs was porking his brothers wife and it hasn't taken the shine off his legend.
Well it has - there's threads here on this forum trying to rekindle his legendary status when it does not need to happen. These players are more celebrities than sports people because of us the fans rather than their choice. Couldn't really care to be honest - what they do in their spare time is their own personal decision & I just only focus on what goes on the pitch.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
João Vieira Pinto "The golden boy": one of Portugal best players of his generation, his name is somewhat forgotten:

Valdo: one of the most classy players on the pitch

Krasimir Balakov: one of the most skilled players ever to play at the portuguese league.

Paulo Futre: probably the most skilled portuguese player ever. Too bad injuries ruined his career. he was basically dragging himself after 27 y.o., but still manage to play amazing games whenever he was fit

Rui Barros: one of best support strikers of his generation, he played in top clubs all over Europe:

Reactions: Invictus

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Arnold Muhren...a class player in an era of hard tackles, "reducers" and poor pitches.One of a very small number of overseas players in England at the time.

Always seemed to find the right pass, hold the ball and move elegantly across the potato patches that passed as pitches back in the day.

Won all the European titles including helping lowly Ipswich town to win the Uefa Cup.

Still playing for Holland at 37 he passed the ball to Van Basten for THAT goal.

And he did all this with a middle name of Hyancinthus!

Others took the headlines but Arnold was usually pivotal to the move.
While I would agree with you on Muhren, the reason that THAT goal was THAT goal was because it was such a shit cross that Van Basten performed a miracle on.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Not seen my name here yet, quite disappointing.

diarm

I don't know why I put that as my perfect XI to be honest. Rijkaard would still be there but I'd have to have Baggio and Bergkamp in there - even if they got in each others way:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Martin Buchan, Nobby Stiles, Paddy Crerand, Ian Callaghan, Roger Hunt, Peter Osgood, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Colin Bell (before the injury), Duncan McKenzie. Lots of others if I really think about it.

Oldyella

Totally agree, he was a fantastic player. That golden generation all the hype seemed to be about the players you mentioned, but that defence was fantastic right across the back 4

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
CM's on my mind now...

Some English Division 1 flavour:

Danny Blanchflower
Dave Mackay
Graham Souness
Billy Bremner
Johnny Giles
Johnny Haynes
Liam Brady
Martin Buchan, Nobby Stiles, Paddy Crerand, Ian Callaghan, Roger Hunt, Peter Osgood, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Colin Bell (before the injury), Duncan McKenzie. Lots of others if I really think about it.
Some of these players are simply forgotten. You have to know a player to rate him!

For instance, it's pretty hard to find a decent Youtube video about most of these players unfortunately.

Also, most of football fans are not interested in the football pre-1980 for obvious reasons.

As a footballer - David Beckham.
Underrated player I don't think so, overrated man very certainly say the Rating Agency.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Some of these players are simply forgotten. You have to know a player to rate him!
Showing my age I suppose. The three United players I listed though always seem to fall under the radar for me. Martin Buchan is still one of the best defenders I've seen at OT 40 years on. Nobby Stiles was an absolute rock (with teeth - or without sometimes :)) for United and England in the 60s and Paddy Crerand I always thought was massively underrated even back when he played - fiery competitor with silky smooth skills.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Showing my age I suppose. The three United players I listed though always seem to fall under the radar for me. Martin Buchan is still one of the best defenders I've seen at OT 40 years on. Nobby Stiles was an absolute rock (with teeth - or without sometimes :)) for United and England in the 60s and Paddy Crerand I always thought was massively underrated even back when he played.
Not only a matter of age but also of available videos on the Internet: we can find a lot of things about Best, but not about great players who were his teammates.
Nowadays, we can find videos about a 14-year-old so-called wonder kid very or about weak players coming from exotic countries.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm curious about these players/the history of the game and that is why, I participate in the football redcafe drafts. Already watched a bit Bremner & Stiles on Youtube. I researched in the past about Buchan: a song but no highlights about his style of play on Youtube IIRC Paddy Crerand I only know the name.

Showing my age I suppose. The three United players I listed though always seem to fall under the radar for me. Martin Buchan is still one of the best defenders I've seen at OT 40 years on.

Buchan: best defenders in the British football or in the history of United? I know @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson is a big fan of Buchan IIRC

Also, it's hard to compare Buchan with Ferdinand/Vidic or with Foulkes/Edwards. If Buchan is underrated, it's also because more recent players emerged like Ferdinand/Stam/Irwin and most of us have short memories.

Last but not least, human memory is selective & imperfect. An example, as a child, I had good memories of the goal of Kluivert against Brazil at the world cup 98. I recently watched that goal and was disappointed: the goal wasn't very beautiful and the Brazilan defenders haven't jumped :lol: Zidane scoring 2 goals against them at the final show any player with decent heading skills could score against them.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Lot of posters don't seem to understand what "underrated" means as there are loads of household names mentioned here.

PhilMcD79

Enzo Francescoli and Enzo Scifo were two really gifted players I thought got a bit lost in their era due to contemporaries like Maradona, Hagi, Platini and Socrates etc.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Thomas Graveson was a genuinely underrated midfielder.Always thought we should have gone for him when Roy's powers started to wane.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think he's overlooked or under appreciated. The England team at the 2006 WC was generally accepted as having a world class player in every position except the GK (and possibly LW as well depending on how you rate Joe Cole) and that includes Ashley Cole. Its just that a LB will always get less press than a forward or midfielder, especially dynamic midfielders like Gerrard or Lampard. I think Cole is regarded as easily the best LB the PL has had apart from Irwin and that's about correct I feel.

Schneckerl

Lot of posters don't seem to understand what "underrated" means as there are loads of household names mentioned here.
No, you don't seem to understand what it means. Being a houshold name or even alltime great doesn't mean you can't be underrated.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Jan van Beveren.

By far the best goalie Holland ever had, but Cruijff didn't like him which led to him never playing at a world cup for Holland. It got so bad that he left the country after he and his familiy were threatened.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dirk Kuyt
Don't thnk Kuyt is underrated. He's just a rather shite player who carved out a very good career with the sparse talent he had. He's an absolute rolemodel for gifted youngster that waste their talents.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Jay Jay Okocha.

Sometimes it's mindblowing that Fergie never got him, he would become a club's legend like Solskjaer, not to mention one hell of a likeable character with tons of unexplored talent.

EDIT: How could I forget about Maniche. At times unintentional football genius, I don't even think he was fully aware of his own abilities.

Last edited: