The most unprofessional professionals in the modern game (no pre mid-90's and prior please!)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Being a scumbag human being is very different from being unprofessional. I don't think he'd have been so endearing to Jose if he hadn't set an example in training. By all accounts he was 100% committed to football.
You’re mistaken being unprofessional with being a cnut. JT was probably as professional as they come in terms of actually playing football.
I thought about that as I wrote it, but that sort of behavior is responsible for eroding relationships with teammates at both club and international level. It also sets you up as a poor example for how to live life to younger players at the club.

I think Ole was right when he talked about the profile of players coming to United. It matters so much, and yes, Chelsea has periods of success, but I think true Captains and true professionals set the bar both on and off the pitch.

Terry did the first one, but failed spectacularly at the second. That’s enough for me to question his professionalism overall.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Carlos Tevez one-upped Gareth Bale by abandoning City for half a season to go and play golf. It's the kind of thing you expect to hear about players like Robin Friday or George Best on one of his jaunts in the '70's.
I think that's the wrong way round. Bale is happy to sit out years of his contract, Tevez did half a season.

I thought about that as I wrote it, but that sort of behavior is responsible for eroding relationships with teammates at both club and international level. It also sets you up as a poor example for how to live life to younger players at the club.

I think Ole was right when he talked about the profile of players coming to United. It matters so much, and yes, Chelsea has periods of success, but I think true Captains and true professionals set the bar both on and off the pitch.

Terry did the first one, but failed spectacularly at the second. That’s enough for me to question his professionalism overall.
It’s a bit difficult to take the holier than thou line when we have Ryan Giggs.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s a bit difficult to take the holier than thou line when we have Ryan Giggs.
I would say there are several differences. Terry slept with a teammates girl, gambled 40k a week with teammates, racially abused other players, scammed fans of the club he played for and got drunk and disruptive with teammates. His crimes very clearly influenced other players and fans in every case.

Giggs had a terrible and hurtful affair, but it was outside football.

I am not judging or being “holier than thou”. I am purely looking at it from the context of being a player and long time captain and setting that sort of example at a big club. Racial issues, gambling and drinking were all on more than one occasion too.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I once watched Dwight Yorke play in the Reserves after Fergie had dropped him.

He kicked off...then just stood in the centre-circle for the rest of the half and refused to move. It was disgraceful. All the youngsters weren't sure what to do.

Fergie was at the game and told the manger to get him off. Don't think he ever played for us again.

Red00012

He kicked off...then just stood in the centre-circle for the rest of the half and refused to move. It was disgraceful. All the youngsters weren't sure what to do.

Fergie was at the game and told the manger to get him off. Don't think he ever played for us again.
Didn’t know that one

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Hatem Ben Arfa

Never bothered in training, horrible life hygien, never truly looked like he cared about football or making the most of his career

Tried to speak with PSG's owner directly about his place at the club only for AL Khelaifi to learn about it and freeze him out of the team for 2 years which led to some very cringe videos from HBA that were quite funny to watch I have to admit it

Regularly showed up overweight and unfit too.

sangria

Flamengo goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes de Souza.
He was jailed for ordering the murder of his girlfriend, whose body was then chopped up and fed to his dogs.
Years: 2008-2010
Club: Flamengo
Apps: 81
Gls: 2

How?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Flamengo goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes de Souza.
He was jailed for ordering the murder of his girlfriend, whose body was then chopped up and fed to his dogs.
Yeah but he might have trained well

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Doesn't quite fit with the timeline as many were washed up already by about 96-97, but what would have been the Soviet Union 1990s generation was packed with insanely unprofessional players and wasted talent. Not that surprising considering it was young lads heading into a totally differnt cultures, trying to adapt from communism and having - to them - huge amount of disposable money for the first time.

Crispeater Arshavin was unfortunately a bit of a throwback to that era in his work ethic.

Jack-C20

Maybe not a single event like some in here, but the likes of Mido and Andy Reid turning up overweight season after season.
Damn you, Andy Reid was going to be my shout. From memory he was extremely stocky. His height didn’t help him much.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Cantona wouldn't get away with his stuff in the modern game (even from United fans)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Leigh Griffiths got called out recently didn't he for coming back unfit after lockdown? The unprofessional bit is a hard line to call, because I'd say Lloris getting pulled over drink driving, with vomit in his car, is pretty reprehensible. Not really about his professional application though

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Why are people calling Ryan Fraser unprofessional? He opted not to play for the club and avoid risk of injury once his contract had lapsed, didn’t he?
Yeah, he didn't sign a short term contract so? That's not being unprofessional.

RashyForPM

Asked for a year off after the treble too. Great player but so unprofessional. No wonder Keano didn’t quite fancy him at Sunderland.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mark Bosnich yet he has to be one of the poster boys for unprofessionalism. I remember he had a few good games mind but he was really a mess.

Untd55

Possibly Kepa refusing to come off in a match last season. I don't think I ever seen anything like that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Was just reading an old article from 442 about the rise and fall of Adriano. Quite sad to be fair, especially the account of his erratic behaviour following the death of his father.

NoneBmStore

I
Was just reading an old article from 442 about the rise and fall of Adriano. Quite sad to be fair, especially the account of his erratic behaviour following the death of his father.
I took a cab ride in Rio some years back with a guy who alleged to be Adriano´s cousin. He said that he basically had been drunk for years doing jack and spending his money on parties with his friends.

Bojan Djordjic

I

I took a cab ride in Rio some years back with a guy who alleged to be Adriano´s cousin. He said that he basically had been drunk for years doing jack and spending his money on parties with his friends.
It definitely showed. He was such a wasted talent. Could have been anything he wanted in the world game. Not sure I've ever seen such a dramatic decline in a player that wasn't caused by age.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It definitely showed. He was such a wasted talent. Could have been anything he wanted in the world game. Not sure I've ever seen such a dramatic decline in a player that wasn't caused by age.
Yeah man. That left foot in PES was something else!

Tiber

I have read that Rojo is dreadful in terms of professionalism

stevoc

Tevez has to be one of if not the most unprofessional player around.

His real name isn't even Tevez for feck sake. He changed his name so he could break a contract and get out of his first club All Boys. Spent the rest of his career desperately trying to move from club to club every few years, even turned up to a Corinthians press conference in a United shirt to try and force a move out of the club only a few months after joining.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Rooney, Smoker, drinker, suspensions when we needed him for stupid red cards, coming back almost every pre season woefully out of shape.
He would always be left out of the squad for Boxing Day and New Years Day fixtures due to mysterious 'injuries'.

ninjaskill

Boli Bolingoli probably deserves a shout travelling to Spain on his days off and then not telling anyone about it, before going to training and playing in a match, leading to two Celtic games being called off

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He would always be left out of the squad for Boxing Day and New Years Day fixtures due to mysterious 'injuries'.
Luca Toni had a lot of colds at Bayern after having being seen in Munich‘s night clubs.

RoyH1

Cassano was something special. So much talent and so little to show for it.

ROFLUTION

Bendtner
Kepa
Pogba (cant believe a player of his talent has wasted so much focus through his agent)
Lingard before Ole talked sense into him. (Lingard has had so much off the pitch focus with insta and clothing lines, showing up at clubs, etc, with so little end product on the field. Just doesnt match each other)