The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
So what's the next step? LVG's implosion came in the winter, we were pretty decent for the first 3 months of the season (even topping the table after beating Watford away with BFS's late goal).

If we lost against Burnely, does Jose go? If so, who's the caretaker until the end of the season? Carrick? Giggs?

PoTMS

It's embarrassing to have threads calling him a cnut and talking about fans blowing him off. That was my point.

Do you think United deserved to lose 0-3 today? Do you think the team played like Allardyce/Pullis in style?
Calling him a cnut is not embarrassing. It's calling a spade a spade. We all knew that when we signed him. He's earning millions off the back of massively underperforming with the players he has at his disposal. He willingly throw his players under the bus to protect his own reputation and only looks out for number one. The whole respect thing today just underlines how cnuty he really is. But then again we all knew this, and were happy to oblige as long as we got results.

This isn't about today. No, we didn't deserve the trashing but you can't expect to win it you can't finish. First half we played relatively well, but second - well, we were clueless. Don't remember having a real chance of note at all. Our tactics seem to always resort to hoofing it to Fellaini. We have no attacking verve whatsoever. Pretty Pulis/Allardyce-like to me.

Mainoldo

3-0 Jose looool. Enough with his personal heritage. Go back to Chelsea.

NJM78

In our last five competitive games we have won 1 drawn 1 and lost 3.
Chuck preseason in for shits and giggles and we have won 1 drawn 4 and lost 5.
Jose really has his work cut out with two tough away games to come and low confidence all round. Huge pressure on his shoulders.

I think if we lose the next couple the board will have to act.

Bojan11

So what's the next step? LVG's implosion came in the winter, we were pretty decent for the first 3 months of the season (even topping the table after beating Watford away with BFS's late goal).

If we lost against Burnely, does Jose go? If so, who's the caretaker until the end of the season? Carrick? Giggs?
We don’t need a caretaker.

There’s a man out there who is capable. Give it to Zidane, if this season is going to be a throw away then give it to the new guy. It took Pep and Klopp a year to get used to Pep. So give Zidane that year. Hell, I’d take Conte.

Red Primus

Football’s moved on. Utterly pointless to compare football to 25 years ago. Rose tinted specs.
This was not a rose tinted situation that I highlighted. Overcoming adversity is not rose tinted situation. Not giving up is not a rose tinted situation. United is infamous for not giving up. That IS who we are. That's part of our DNA. And right now, we are in danger of losing that.

I'm not going to give up on the Manager, the team and the club after just 3 games. How we respond to a challenge is not a thing with which you measure tinted-ness. There's nothing weird or unusual with this approach.

Flexdegea

Frankly I'm just fed up of smug United fans on their horses belittling those of us who have negative opinions of the club, or want managers or players sacked/sold. We do it because we care about the club. Those berks who applaud a 3-0 loss care more about how they are perceived as supporters than they do about the plight of our club. I have no time for that attitude. I don't care if I'm called a moaner or any other name, I only care about what is best for Manchester United. I could see it months ago just as I can see it now; Jose is not good for Manchester United. We have a poor manager, we have poor players, and we have a poor team. Change is needed now, not in 6 months when everything has descended in to farce and turmoil. We need to be proactive not reactive. That's how things improve. Applauding this rubbish and patting each other on he back for being amazing fans isn't going to improve a damned thing.

Absolute nonsense.

These are the hard core fans who paying a fortune to watch the team and have every right to fully support them how they like instead of adding to the toxic attitude that's engulfing the club this season.

Whether jose is the blame or not, they where playing well up until some shocking defending. Unless Jose was the one directly making Them mistakes on the pitch cant see why you want the fans to rip his head off.

But here they are apparently doing it to look good. Absolute nonsense

Mylock

Our players need to man up, we need a few leaders. These players are a disgrace to man united. Throwing in the towel is not the united way. There's a cloud around the team at the moment, jose set the tone during the preseason. Its going to be hard to turn it around, but i belive jose will get the chance to turn it around. The next few months will be one of his greatest achievements from jose or the end as a elite club manager. There's a witch hunt from the media at the moment for United and Jose, it would be great for him to turn it around and put the 2 fingers to the media.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
We don’t need a caretaker.

There’s a man out there who is capable. Give it to Zidane, if this season is going to be a throw away then give it to the new guy. It took Pep and Klopp a year to get used to Pep. So give Zidane that year. Hell, I’d take Conte.
My only doubt about Zidane is that he's not had to build a team. His Madrid side were built to perfection when he got there. Although he would get a lot more out of Pogba and Martial, so maybe it's not a bad shout.

Ranchero

I've always felt that Mourinho should be given time in the hope he can change. But he has shown he can't. He is a misery guts of a bloke now, toxic to key players in the dressing room and blames everyone but himself. If I thought he could change and adapt I'd back him. But it hurts me to say that I can't back him because I think it is obvious that with him at the helm we are going to go nowhere.

forevrared

Yeah he should demoted from footballing matters.

What on earth has Martial done to receive that extension if it's true?
Up until Sanchez was signed, Martial was beyond productive. In those two and a half seasons, he'd scored or assisted 60 goals. The last 7 months have seemingly given half our fan base amnesia.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Has to go afraid. A lot earlier than he did during the Chelsea 3rd season meltdown so we can actually save the season and not finish literally midtable.

SteveW

Yeah he should demoted from footballing matters.

What on earth has Martial done to receive that extension if it's true?
We could sell almost all of our attackers if were judging on the last few months to be fair. Are any of the them playing even ok? Martial has been bad but Sanchez, Rashford and Mata have been even worse. Lukaku has been slightly better. Only Lingard seems to be playing somewhere near his potential.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Zidane will come and turn things quickly..
And then get sacked by the fans in 2 years?

Jose exposes our defence for the first time (to play expansive football) and demonstrates that the defenders do not have the skill necessary to kill attacks. This is why LVG and now Jose, have the entire team protect the fragile defenders.
Sacking the manager after 3 games is ludicrous and I don't think I've ever seen one sacked so quickly. I remember F.D Boer getting sacked from CP after 4 matches, but he didn't have the CV of Jose.

Anybody who takes the job of MUFC manager needs to be aware of what they are getting themselves into, before accepting the job.

JG3001

He’s been backed into a corner by an accountant.
Woodward should have had a sack thread first.
You don’t back the manager of a building project then not get him the materials that he’s requested.
Our defence is shite and the rest of the team is nervous because of it. We played Smalling and Jones who were getting flak from fans when SAF was in charge.
I think this is the end, by sack or walkout, but the majority of the blame should go on Woodward.
As long as the deals with Mongolian Toothbrushes and Azerbaijani Candles are in the pipeline, Ed is going nowhere unfortunately, the desperate hope is to pull his finger out of his arse and put a manager in place who can get it right.

A DOF probably wouldn't go amiss either, we seem to sign more players based on commercial value, than actual ability or role within the team.

crossy1686

career ending
Just got back from the game, pretty dejected like most about the result. We looked pretty decent for most of the first half though, probably should have been 2-0 up.

Half the ground left when the third goal went in, can't really blame them. We lost all bottle at about the 40th minute after failing to put away a couple of good chances. There were some minor boos at the end, and I mean minor. Most stayed to show support to Jose and the team.

My take on our current issues:

Short term:
- Defence is no where near good enough, I'd even say abysmal.
- The mentality of the group is weak.
- We have some very talented players being held back by some absolute dross.
- None of our big names are turning up when it matters.
- What is Alexis Sanchez and what is his existence for?

Long term:
- We've got players at the club (still) that have been told they're surplus to requirements. Jose now has to play those players because someone hasn't been able to move them on, be it agent or Woodward. Either way, they shouldn't be there.
- We spent all summer trying to improve the defence, then didn't, now have to play defenders who were publicly touted as not good enough.
- We have brought in enough competition for players. It's true, most of the summer targets might not have instantly improved our team but if you're Pogba and the only person coming in to steal your place is Fellani or McTomminay you don't even have to be playing at 90% to be the first name on the team sheet.
- Sanchez is on stupid money and has contributed literally nothing to our team so far. How does that make the likes of De Gea feel when his contract is almost up? I haven't seen him do anything Lingard or Mata couldn't yet. Should be sold in the summer.
- Board have publicly refused to back the manager and briefed the press about it. Causing more drama.

We have fundamental issues at the club and sacking Mourinho and bringing in someone like Zidane is not the answer. It won't improve our current issues.

If we do part ways with Mourinho, it has to be at the end of the season when we've got a manager in place with a long term vision and we've fixed our problems above. Things aren't going to get better any time soon.

SteveW

Up until Sanchez was signed, Martial was beyond productive. In those two and a half seasons, he'd scored or assisted 60 goals. The last 7 months have seemingly given half our fan base amnesia.
True. He was good until Sanchez came in and stunk the place up for 4 months.

MooseTheMooche

:lol: at people talking about 92-93. unbelievable
I am still waiting for someone to bring another fantastic statistic, namely: "In 12/13 season United also lost to Tottenham at home. They went on to become champions"

Neo_Mufc

As long as the deals with Mongolian Toothbrushes and Azerbaijani Candles are in the pipeline, Ed is going nowhere unfortunately, the desperate hope is to pull his finger out of his arse and put a manager in place who can get it right.

A DOF probably wouldn't go amiss either, we seem to sign more players based on commercial value, than actual ability or role within the team.
Did we ever get that signing with Tinder?

Ban

And then get sacked by the fans in 2 years?

Jose exposes our defence for the first time (to play expansive football) and demonstrates that the defenders do not have the skill necessary to kill attacks. This is why LVG and now Jose, have the entire team protect the fragile defenders.
Sacking the manager after 3 games is ludicrous and I don't think I've ever seen one sacked so quickly. I remember F.D Boer getting sacked from CP after 4 matches, but he didn't have the CV of Jose.

Anybody who takes the job of MUFC manager needs to be aware of what they are getting themselves into, before accepting the job.
Fans want a new manager, I wonder how much they'll give him until the lose patience. I guess they'll be happy as long as we play nice football. While Ed brings in new deals. I bet we won't get a DOF either.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Wanted to give him the benefit but there's too many things now. One or two could be changed but it's a long list, getting longer;
  • The defence is shit (players fault as well as his - he's bought two of the CHs)
  • Either the coaching is terrible or every player forgets everything they've practiced during the week (former seems more likely?)
  • Team selections chop and change - players not getting confidence in own place or continuity
  • Tactics change - see above
  • Passing is shit (players fault too)
  • No link between Def/mid and mid/forwards
  • Forward passes slow and caution seems to be our way now (seems to be a Jose glass half empty mentality)
  • No teamwork/desire
  • Several of these players played very recently in a WC and almost all looked better... their countries tactics v Jose's?
  • CHs can't defend, do basics
  • Mids can't tackle/organise themselves
  • Lukakus touch is shocking and needs 8-10 chances to score. We don't create enough to have that luxury
Some of these I'd put on the players (touch, desire, passing)... they're professional footballers paid a fortune (grow up) but either every player has lost their ability (WC and previous club performances suggest unlikely) or Jose's coaching is poor or he's lost the team.... doesnt really matter though?

A real risk that if we dont take quick action we drop out of the top four/trophy challengers for years to come .. a la Liverpool. It's easy to say "we're different to Liverpool, we've got tonnes of money, we can buy ourselves out of trouble" but (1) we've spent tonnes, it's not that easy (2) the gap's got smaller with the latest TV deal and (3) we may well just end up buying mercenaries for the wages.

Also a risk that the decent players (DDG especially) say "I'm off" and the longer it goes on, the harder it becomes to attract the right players.

It'd be a nightmare to get a manager now but tempted to ask Monaco to name their price for Jardim .... and pay it.

Jose probably would've been fine several years back when he could come into a stable setup but now we need a good coach who can get the best out of players and has tactical nous.

MAME DIOUF 32

He's had five transfer windows to get rid of the dross and he hasn't done it. Equally, he's signed a total of one player in that time that we wouldn't be looking at in a game of FM anyway. He's had over 100 games to put in some kind of system and the players look completely lost. He came here thinking that he could do the same things he was doing years ago and they would just work. They don't any more. He needs to go and if he can't find the energy to put a lot more into his next job than he did here then perhaps he should be thinking about retirement.

Red Primus

Did Fergie have a history of having a meltdown after 2 years at a club and not being able to turn it around when it started?

He will try to get sacked from now on, just look at his press conference.
He probably didn't because he surely didn't get the reception Mourinho is getting right now after 3 games. Which is exactly what i'm trying to say. Give the manager the room to work things out and not immediately try to force a quick fix by sacking him.

Unam333

I back Mourinho 100%. Woodward gave him a new contract yet doesn't back him in the summer? Inexcusable.

Our players are not good enough, they aren't good enough for years under different managers and different tactics. They just can't seem to adapt and make individual mistakes. To me those are signs they aren't top quality footballers.

Players who are considered good enough, don't step up. Instead, downing tools and giving up, not playing for the manager, not for the fans and not for the badge. Disgraceful.

Mourinho is right. We need better players and it starts from the back. If we can stop letting in silly goals like today and last week, have a strong defence, it gives confidence to our attacking players to push forward without worrying about conceding.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I back Mourinho 100%. Woodward gave him a new contract yet doesn't back him in the summer? Inexcusable.

Our players are not good enough, they aren't good enough for years under different managers and different tactics. They just can't seem to adapt and make individual mistakes. To me those are signs they aren't top quality footballers.

Players who are considered good enough, don't step up. Instead, downing tools and giving up, not playing for the manager, not for the fans and not for the badge. Disgrace.

Mourinho is right. We need better players and it starts from the back. If we can stop letting in silly goals like today and last week, have a strong defence, it gives confidence to our attacking players to push forward without worrying about conceding.
Thing is though, he's bought nearly an entire team, yet we still need plenty of better players

Status
Not open for further replies.