Film The Movie Critic - Tarantino's 'final' movie

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I used to be a fan of Tarantino films but i've recently re-evaluated them and I don't really feel like they will stand the test of time.

He's played fast and loose with safety (Uma Thurman) sexuality and racial language and all of this has to be taken into the context of being bankrolled by the odious Weinstein.

I think he is a "film school director" - one who's all too eager to show off his film knowledge and influences and resorts to seeking out controversy to enrobe himself in an "auteur" status when he has actually been funded by mainstream Hollywood since the get go.

I can accept Reservoir dogs as a one-off young directors film but there has been little actual progression in his films since. His films have been parodic facsimiles of other genre films with a Hollywood star in place of a Hong Kong Martial artist.

The violence in his films is "stylized" but doesn't ever seem to have any genuine consequences...the blood stays a picturesque vivid red...for cinematic reasons.

What is sad is there is some real writing talent there...I loved the opening scenes of Inglorious Basterds...Christoph Waltz showing us a new view on ruling by oppression and fear...and then reality flies out the window and it's like watching "Where eagles dare" where SOME Jewish people just fight back and exact revenge against the Nazis so that's all good then???

Django Unchained seemed an excuse to use up a lot of race based material and again just had a one dimensional revenge plotline. He's then focused on his 60's and 70's timeline - did we learn anything new about the Manson Family or was it just an excuse for showing women in peril / being slapped around again?

This constant use of revenge as a plot line is tiresome - it's like Michael Winner has b
een reborn with an LA attitude and penchant for footsie.

He's clearly a talented writer but maybe he got too big too soon and no-one has been around him to challenge him and stop him falling back into lazy tropes. He's since adopted the persona of a "cult" director but I think there's a spelling mistake in there somewhere.
I don't think his films are necessarily made to stand the test of time in a Citizen Kane, Casablanca, or Chinatown sense. Still, some of his films will stand the test of time because of how well done they are and their influence on pop culture during the periods they were released.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I don't think his films are necessarily made to stand the test of time in a Citizen Kane, Casablanca, or Chinatown sense. Still, some of his films will stand the test of time because of how well done they are and their influence on pop culture during the periods they were released.
I agree.

Tarantino films have a cool look to them as well as a very distinct writing style, but they are ultimately meant to entertain. They're not high art and I don't think that they were ever meant to be. Tarantino may be an opinionated weirdo, but he loves all kinds of films and is definitely no snob or cultural elite.

Much like with Nolan, his films are endlessly hyped up because he hits that nice sweet-spot between high art and summer blockbuster (much closer to the latter).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
A

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
Django
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Jackie Brown
-------

B

Kill Bill 1 & 2
The Hateful Eight
-------

F

Death Proof
--------

I'm a simple man with a simple life.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
A

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
Django
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Jackie Brown
-------

B

Kill Bill 1 & 2
The Hateful Eight
-------

F

Death Proof
--------

I'm a simple man with a simple life.
I would replace Kill Bills with Once upon A time in Hollywood, because I think it's his weakest movie apart from the Death Proof. Maybe Jackie Brown too, but then Jackie has one of my favourite movie songs in it.

Django would be somewhere in A2.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Reservoir Dogs by far his most overrated flick. Hateful 8 most underrated.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
He’s probably doing a sequel to happy feet instead with uma thurman playing a penguin.

redcucumber

Ah shit. Liked the idea of Tarantino going the more chilled + hang out, introspective type way with his last film (similar ilk as JB and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). Hope he makes it one day, if he's able to get over this 10 film and out quirk.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ah shit. Liked the idea of Tarantino going the more chilled + hang out, introspective type way with his last film (similar ilk as JB and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). Hope he makes it one day, if he's able to get over this 10 film and out quirk.
He'll do number 11 when someone writes him a massive cheque

Chairman Steve

He’s had a whole bunch of ideas over the years that never get off the ground, ranging from a third Kill Bill to when Elvis Presley stepped into a recording studio for the first time.

I’d be interested to see him doing a Spielberg/Fabelmans meta thing and do something loosely based on himself, how he hanged around with all kinds of people in LA, working in that famous video store to then writing and directing films. It would be fitting as his supposed final movie. You could probably end it with him on the Reservoir Dogs set about to shoot the diner scene and then it loops back around to his first movie.

redcucumber

Potentially. At the moment his idiosyncrasies are seemingly much more influential than his desire for more cashola. I'm hoping he'll move to weird pet projects after the 10.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
He could just claim that Kill Bill is actually 2 movies and call it a day.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He’s had a whole bunch of ideas over the years that never get off the ground, ranging from a third Kill Bill to when Elvis Presley stepped into a recording studio for the first time.

I’d be interested to see him doing a Spielberg/Fabelmans meta thing and do something loosely based on himself, how he hanged around with all kinds of people in LA, working in that famous video store to then writing and directing films. It would be fitting as his supposed final movie. You could probably end it with him on the Reservoir Dogs set about to shoot the diner scene and then it loops back around to his first movie
That sounds like a terrible Kevin Smith movie.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean... I'm far from being a fan of the guy, but he's done 9 films in 32 years, which isn't an insane level of output, and while I'm sure he's super well off, I doubt he's particularly motivated by money over his cinematic kinks.

Though I'd pay a lot for him to direct a Marvel film on which he has final cut.

redcucumber

I mean... I'm far from being a fan of the guy, but he's done 9 films in 32 years, which isn't an insane level of output, and while I'm sure he's super well off, I doubt he's particularly motivated by money over his cinematic kinks.

Though I'd pay a lot for him to direct a Marvel film on which he has final cut.
Of all the things for Tarantino to do, him doing a Marvel film is top billing? Why? It's pants.