Film The Movie Critic - Tarantino's 'final' movie

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This thread is making be want to watch Pulp, Dogs and Django again.

I rewatched Hateful 8 not long ago, and although I remembered loving it I found it mostly verging on boring to be honest. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood. It was visually fantastic though.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I don't agree with the biggest Tarantino fanboys when they claim that everything he directs turns into gold. Tarantino may have the oeuvre mindset, but he clearly has a good amount of mediocre films in his catalogue.

Having said that, I still think that Tarantino probably is the greatest mainstream/big name Hollywood director from the last 32 years (starting the clock with Reservoir Dogs in 1992).

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I used to be a fan of Tarantino films but i've recently re-evaluated them and I don't really feel like they will stand the test of time.

He's played fast and loose with safety (Uma Thurman) sexuality and racial language and all of this has to be taken into the context of being bankrolled by the odious Weinstein.

I think he is a "film school director" - one who's all too eager to show off his film knowledge and influences and resorts to seeking out controversy to enrobe himself in an "auteur" status when he has actually been funded by mainstream Hollywood since the get go.

I can accept Reservoir dogs as a one-off young directors film but there has been little actual progression in his films since. His films have been parodic facsimiles of other genre films with a Hollywood star in place of a Hong Kong Martial artist.

The violence in his films is "stylized" but doesn't ever seem to have any genuine consequences...the blood stays a picturesque vivid red...for cinematic reasons.

What is sad is there is some real writing talent there...I loved the opening scenes of Inglorious Basterds...Christoph Waltz showing us a new view on ruling by oppression and fear...and then reality flies out the window and it's like watching "Where eagles dare" where SOME Jewish people just fight back and exact revenge against the Nazis so that's all good then???

Django Unchained seemed an excuse to use up a lot of race based material and again just had a one dimensional revenge plotline. He's then focused on his 60's and 70's timeline - did we learn anything new about the Manson Family or was it just an excuse for showing women in peril / being slapped around again?

This constant use of revenge as a plot line is tiresome - it's like Michael Winner has been reborn with an LA attitude and penchant for footsie.

He's clearly a talented writer but maybe he got too big too soon and no-one has been around him to challenge him and stop him falling back into lazy tropes. He's since adopted the persona of a "cult" director but I think there's a spelling mistake in there somewhere.
There's a lot I agree with here and a lot of my own initial feelings about QT as a director.

He's the definition of style over substance. He's the Chuck Palahniuk of filmmaking. Both had an absolute stellar start to their respective careers (Fight Club, Survivor // Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction) but haven't been able to get to that level of quality since.

Herman Toothrot

There's a lot I agree with here and a lot of my own initial feelings about QT as a director.

He's the definition of style over substance. He's the Chuck Palahniuk of filmmaking. Both had an absolute stellar start to their respective careers (Fight Club, Survivor // Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction) but haven't been able to get to that level of quality since.
I'd agree with that. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are excellent. After that, the style of substance drop-off is huge. Every film since Jackie Brown feels frequently silly and annoyingly over the top. Moments feel so engineered to be iconic and it all feels a bit cheap and self indulgent.

dazjoe

Really looking forward to his last movie. Loved everything he's done, with the obvious exception of Death Proof, the one Tarantino movie everyone pretends doesn't exist.

redcucumber

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great. Was back to his best in the Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown hangout movie vein.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great. Was back to his best in the Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown hangout movie vein.
Yea I enjoyed that. But even that was style over substance with the ending.

onemanarmy

Really looking forward to his last movie. Loved everything he's done, with the obvious exception of Death Proof, the one Tarantino movie everyone pretends doesn't exist.
Death Proof wasn't exactly peak cinema but decent fun.

redcucumber

I didn't think it was obnoxiously stylised, and definitely not to the point that it detracted from the experience (Tarantino obviously has a distinct style but that's sort of the fun). It felt like pure QT love for film and cinema and he nailed the feck out of it, in my opinion. Hoping The Critic is more of the same Tarantino hangout movie goodness.

jungledrums

Don’t wanna get hyper pretentious and meta here but sometimes style is substance. There was logic behind the ending - the fact that it was so delightfully outlandish and ‘stylish’ shouldn’t detract from the satisfying, clever and so very unexpected ending. I see your point though

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It barely counts as a movie.

Wing Attack Plan R

A
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
------------------
B
Kill Bill 1
Inglourious Basterds
-------------------
C
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Kill Bill 2
Jackie Brown
-------------------
D
Death Proof
--------------------
F
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I didn't think it was obnoxiously stylised, and definitely not to the point that it detracted from the experience (Tarantino obviously has a distinct style but that's sort of the fun). It felt like pure QT love for film and cinema and he nailed the feck out of it, in my opinion. Hoping The Critic is more of the same Tarantino hangout movie goodness.
Don’t wanna get hyper pretentious and meta here but sometimes style is substance. There was logic behind the ending - the fact that it was so delightfully outlandish and ‘stylish’ shouldn’t detract from the satisfying, clever and so very unexpected ending. I see your point though
Yea, like I said I enjoyed the movie. It was definitely one of his better ones. Films, like art is subjective, and it's my own feeling towards his movies.

redcucumber

A
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
------------------
B
Kill Bill 1
Inglourious Basterds
-------------------
C
Kill Bill 2
Jackie Brown
-------------------
D
Death Proof
--------------------
F
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown below the Kill Bill's (and to a lesser extent Inglorious Basterds) is wild.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Jackie Brown below the Kill Bill's (and to a lesser extent Inglorious Basterds) is wild.
Django Unchained in F tier is the worst for me. I'd put it in B tier (above Kill Bill and on par with Inglorious).

Wing Attack Plan R

I felt it was a massive letdown from Pulp Fiction. Really didn't work for me.
Django Unchained in F tier is the worst for me. I'd put it in B tier (above Kill Bill and on par with Inglorious).
Hated this film. Jamie Fox was woeful, and DiCaprio was no better.

Andy_Cole

A
Pulp Fiction
------------------
B
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill 1
Inglourious Basterds
Django
-------------------
C
Kill Bill 2
Jackie Brown
-------------------
D
The Hateful Eight
Death Proof
--------------------

Almost spot on for me except Django. Elite movie for me. Rewatched more than most.

@Wing Attack Plan R

Tarrou

i enjoyed Django, it's a fun plot that keeps you engaged, but did kinda feel like it missed the mark. Felt like someone else trying to Tarrantino.

I'd have it in tier 3 but can't be arsed writing out the whole thing. Pulp Fiction number 1 though.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Hated this film. Jamie Fox was woeful, and DiCaprio was no better.
What the hell?! Jaime Fox plays his part perfectly and Leo is delightfully evil and has hilarious facial expressions!

Django is probably my favourite "dark popcorn" movie (I just invented a new genre). I don't understand your hate, because you seem to like Kill Bill! I would consider that to be fairly similar in tone and humor.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What the hell?! Jaime Fox plays his part perfectly and Leo is delightfully evil and has hilarious facial expressions!

Django is probably my favourite "dark popcorn" movie (I just invented a new genre). I don't understand your hate, because you seem to like Kill Bill! I would consider that to be fairly similar in tone and humor.
:nervous:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Whoever else he casts for this (assuming that is still happening)- hopefully no more Christopher Waltz. Seems like a decent bloke but his schtick has gotten a bit old.
This. Felt his schtick got old very quickly.

Wing Attack Plan R

I have Jamie Fox derangement syndrome, I just don't like him. Kill Bill had a lot of different styles and homages to different filmmakers and techniques, so I thought it was really creative, even though the story was dumb.

NoPace

’No Rappers’ for Jules :lol:

And I’m somewhat surprised Tarantino put Sofia Coppola on that list after Godfather 3.
Finally watched Godfather 3 and was surprised that I thought she was just a little bit bad and not awful and the problem is more her plot line/the writing and also Andy Garcia.

Interesting to note the worst casting in Pulp Fiction (we all agree it's Maria De Medeiros, right?) is Tarantino's shortest list. I bet he regrets not watching more European late 80s and early 90s films.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Am I the only person that didn't hate The Hateful Right? :nervous:
I hope so. It was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Pointless from start to finish. I was close to leave before the highly disappointing ending.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Am I the only person that didn't hate The Hateful Right? :nervous:
It felt like a pale imitation of a Coen Brothers flick.

Also, it was standard QT ending - a woman getting absolutely battered and beaten with some sharp dialogue amidst the hyperviolence.