The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m not sure that it’s true. Even at Barca he had been horrendously unprofessional – that was before his knees gave up. He had a spell in December where he went 5 games without scoring (seems ridiculous that he had still managed to score 34 in 37) – but in that time (a little over a month) he flew to Brazil and back 9 times. Then another 4 games without scoring in February, when he decided to visit the carnival.

Bobby Robson’s assistant, some random Portuguese chap named Jose, even openly criticized him in the press for his attitude. I won’t even talk about the fact that he had cost them the title because he decided to miss last 3 games of the season, and they’ve lost to Hercules; as this was not because of his partying but because of the whole contract negotiations/Inter transfer stuff.

From the very first night at Inter he went clubbing and only went home at 5-6 a.m. before a morning training. He had leveraged Luigi Simoni into allowing him to drink cola during and after training... except that he poured beer into cola cans. And that was before his big injuries and before he had met Vieri.

So yeah, he was never big on training, although his incredible physique not only allowed him to dominate on the pitch, but also to quickly recover after those crazy nights (Vieri had jealousy noted that while he was dying during training after their night out, Ronaldo looked like he had slept the whole night in his bed).

The only period of time when he was more or less disciplined was his stint in PSV, because his mom still lived with him. The only leeway he got was when journalists tried to get a quote from him and he traded those for beer.
He missed the last 3 games because of international duty. La Liga finished in June and Fifa refused to release him back to Barcelona

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Someone told me quite recently that in that season Ronaldinho got injured in the second half of it for a significant amount of time and lost some of his athleticism because of it, kind of like what we have seen with Rashford since the restart. With that in mind his movement does look a bit limited in that video, but it was still a classic performance. Id say his absolute peak was the game vs Madrid where he scored the 2 goals
I agree

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, Dinho's peak was 2005. By 2006 he already slowed down a little bit and by 2007 he'd started to decline. Be the end of the 06/07 season Messi was already barcelona's best player. Dinho was still a great player, but already no longer the monster of two years before

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He missed the last 3 games because of international duty. La Liga finished in June and Fifa refused to release him back to Barcelona
He had already said that he isn't planning on wearing Barcelona's shirt again on 31th of May and in the next few days he had informed Barcelona that he was going to Inter (with Moratti confirming it). He could've played 1 more game – the one that they've lost against Hercules, on 1th of June. The rest he had to miss because of the Copa, but this one would've been enough for Barcelona to win La Liga.

Green_Red

Delighted he hasn't gotten his hands on the trophy, worst role model for young kids there is in football. Real life shit cnut.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Someone at PSG would want to sit him down and have a one to one with him. If you keep playing for yourself rather than the team, we wont win the CL.

sokol11

As I said he is no second coming of Messi or Ronaldo as some on here echoed after Atalanta game. Really glad Paris didn't win it. Self entitled pricks.

lsd

The Oracle
Said it before if he ever signs for Utd i will stop supporting them . Biggest cheat in football a horrible horrible player . Delighted he lost

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
I wanted Bayern to win just to see this lad cry...

Why didn't he try a rainbow flick or anything today?
I don't like him too, but whats wrong with his tricks? He is one of the few players who still do exciting things on the pitch.

cyberman

Has he forgotten how to score? It has to be sharpness after the break, Ive never seen him so wasteful before

Welbeckham

Didn’t turn up today. Quiet in the first half, mostly bad in the second half. The hate he gets goes a bit overboard though.

Silas

Why do people hate him? Is it literally just because of his diving or have I missed something obvious?

MiracleInMadrid

Don't get me wrong. I can't stand him jumping around like rabbit every other tackle. But for some reason I can't get myself to really hate him. He actually seems pretty likeable off the pitch. And he always seem to get along with opponents after the match no matter how much diving he has done. Somewhere in there, there is still a honest and humble guy who just doesn't seem to be able to handle his own natural gift and the pressure it has put upon him.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
He tried but didn't really get going today

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
A game to forget for him. No doubt with how fickle a lot are, opinions will no doubt revert back to him being overrated etc.

Still the best forward in the game currently for me (Messi aside)

Eddy_JukeZ

Has he forgotten how to score? It has to be sharpness after the break, Ive never seen him so wasteful before
Him and Mbappe missed plenty of chances since the restart.

Maybe the lack of sharpness. Maybe just bad days.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I don't like him too, but whats wrong with his tricks? He is one of the few players who still do exciting things on the pitch.
It's the time and the place for me.
I remember the world cup. Costa Rica. Heavily favourites and they couldn't score.

They finally did in the 90th min give or take.
So then what does he do, rainbow flicks a player and such.

These are grown men. He wants to take the piss when they're winning, against a small Country who had very little hope in the game... Wasn't needed.
So to see him cry today serves him right

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Why does he think this whole thing is all about him? Is he Walter White? There is no space for anyone else it seems

KW2006

He will be remembered as another Denilson. Even Rivaldo is more legendary than him.

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
Why do people hate him? Is it literally just because of his diving or have I missed something obvious?
For me it’s watching him makes me question why I’ve watched football my entire life. His antics are so unpalatable to me that if every player acted like he does I’d quit watching the sport within a week. Suarez is the only other player I’d categorise the same way. Despicable.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He will be remembered as another Denilson. Even Rivaldo is more legendary than him.
I don't know whats worse about this comment. Neymar being another Denilson, or saying 'Even Rivaldo' like its some humiliation to be below him

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
So ineffective, made more often the wrong decision today than the right one. He was lacking game intelligence today. Very poor for a WC player.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Think this was PSG's one and only chance to win this competition with Neymar & Mbappe.

Covid has a hand to play if he's not off this window.

His shooting boots have deserted him, which is odd for Neymar. Worst possible time to be profligate .

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
A game to forget for him. No doubt with how fickle a lot are, opinions will no doubt revert back to him being overrated etc.

Still the best forward in the game currently for me (Messi aside)
The twelve posts above yours were just, that!

Rough game today. PSG midfield didn't exist second half and they couldn't get the ball forward.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
There's a pattern emerging now where he reverts to type when up against it in high-pressure situations. Where he hangs onto the ball too long, where his head goes down, where he no longer plays for the team. We seen it in the World Cup against Belgium when he insisted on doing it all by himself. Those bad habits became more prominent as the game wore on tonight. His hero complex can be both talismanic and corrosive to his team's chances.

Still, I was highly impressed with his performance against Atalanta. Obviously two horrible misses, but how he responded to them. He showed resilience to repeatedly do the right thing, eventually wearing them down once he had another strike partner on his wavelength to bounce off. It was the performance of a proper professional, which was lacking at times tonight.

I don't know whats worse about this comment. Neymar being another Denilson, or saying 'Even Rivaldo' like its some humiliation to be below him
Aye ridiculous on both counts. Neymar surpassed Denilson the best part of a decade ago.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
For me it’s watching him makes me question why I’ve watched football my entire life. His antics are so unpalatable to me that if every player acted like he does I’d quit watching the sport within a week. Suarez is the only other player I’d categorise the same way. Despicable.
Well put.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
He can't improve on this. UCL semis or losing a final feels like his apex with PSG. He should move elsewhere as soon as his contract ends.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jesus christ. Rivaldo is legendary, so that's hardly an insult. But Denilson? :lol: Neymar surpassed Denilson after a season. He has won the CL before you know.. scored in the final too

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tried too much in the second half. I get that he felt his teammates weren't at the races, but still(also was wrong. Di Maria and Mbappé were dangerous and the midfielders were playing well). Same story as the belgium game, gets it into his head that he has to win by himself and at this level it's just not going to happen, becomes a detriment to his team

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I actually think he's shown in these last matches that he's probably the best player in the world right now, in terms of talent. The only thing you can do is triple team him or foul him or both. He's not at the right club, that much is obvious. And he looks stuck there.

edit: tonight there was hardly any link between midfield and attack, so they all struggled. Marquinos was probably their best player. But I think in recent games he's lived up to all the hype.