The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

aeh1991

A fit Neymar. Not an injured one. You might not have noticed but Manchester United kind of struggles with creating good chances. A fit and dedicated Neymar would solve that issue almost by himself.
Yea but you might not have noticed Neymar's injury record. Especially in this more physical league and given our bad luck with injuries he would have played about 10 games in total.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
For the ability he has he should have achieved so much more. Spending his prime years in Ligue 1 was such a waste.
He left Barca at age of 25. Guess the PSG offer was too good to turn down given the fee he moved for but pretty sure Messi and Suarez both left two years later so if he'd been a bit more patient he'd have been the main man in attack and the new face of the club. Him and Lewandowski would've been a brilliant combination aswell.

Joel Miller

He left Barca at age of 25. Guess the PSG offer was too good to turn down given the fee he moved for but pretty sure Messi and Suarez both left two years later so if he'd been a bit more patient he'd have been the main man in attack and the new face of the club. Him and Lewandowski would've been a brilliant combination aswell.
Yeah It’s hard to disagree with that. I think it was about being the main man, but still a player of his talents spending those years in Ligue 1 will forever feel like a waste to me.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Some of us actually watch football, you should try it.
I do, I'm just not impressed seeing a player nutmeg a full back for Le Harve, who spends his mornings delivering UberEats, and then seeing teenagers clipping and sharing short form videos titles "the streets will never forget"

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I do, I'm just not impressed seeing a player nutmeg a full back for Le Harve, who spends his mornings delivering UberEats, and then seeing teenagers clipping and sharing short form videos titles "the streets will never forget"
So easy that Messi's scoring dropped some 30-40 percent in that league. Same old shit. I watched him play regularly in those first few
years for PSG.
Actual whole matches. A shame that you didn't.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
So easy that Messi's scoring dropped some 30-40 percent in that league. Same old shit. I watched him play regularly in those first few
years for PSG.
Barca didn't buy the referees in France ;)

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
It depends what he wanted of his career.
Your own Rashford will be worth around 300-400m when he finish his United stint. Football or money?

Edit, spelled Rashford wrong.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

years for PSG.
Messi was fecking 35 and playing with chumps. Was hugely unmotivated, didn't run, didn't try AND was still the best player on the team.

Imagine comparing old Messi, forced to leave his club to Neymar who joined in his prime :lol:

You keep "watching" football

Jeffthered

There’s a reason he has become a sicknote since moving to psg. Feck load of money and party life has ruined him. I never doubted his love for football but it’s hard to keep yourself motivated when you are playing in a piss easy league and with all the bags of money. He can only blame himself for that. Some players need a challenge and I always thought Neymar is one of them. Knew his career would tank as soon as he moved to Paris.
Really good point. well made.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Messi was fecking 35 and playing with chumps. Was hugely unmotivated, didn't run, didn't try AND was still the best player on the team.

Imagine comparing old Messi, forced to leave his club to Neymar who joined in his prime :lol:

You keep "watching" football
Messi was actually 34 when he went there and is on record as saying that the league was tougher and more physical than he expected. Not to mention that he went there before he had his greatest success as an international player, performing to a level beyond what he did in his physical prime. You keep swallowing PL media BS wholesale and neglecting to think for yourself, bud.

Jeffthered

He should have stayed at Barcelona, and dominated European football. He was awesome with Messi and Suaraz. Neymar is one of the best players I have seen in the last 20 years, talent wise, pure ability, I haven't seen many better. CR7 and Messi of course have proven to be more consistent, focused on playing football. But Neymar developed too much 'drama' around him. Then add injuries, ridiculous transfer negotiations.. just a nonsense. Neymar should be to Brazil as Messi was to Argentina. Responsible, a talisman, consistent, fantastic and a leader.

Anyone who loves football wants to see a fit, motivated Neymar, because he is a brilliant player. Sometimes I think some don't appreciate the talent of this player. On form, he's phenomenal, devastating, scores lots of goals and creates lots of goals.

After this injury, who knows. A great shame.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Messi was actually 34 when he went there and is on record as saying that the league was tougher and more physical than he expected. Not to mention that he went there before he had his greatest success as an international player, performing to a level beyond what he did in his physical prime. You keep swallowing PL media BS wholesale and neglecting to think for yourself, bud.
Which is PR. He's not exactly going to say it's a "piece of piss and I came here for money" as the new face of the league.

I'm sorry you're desperate for the potential to be realised in exchange for the emotional investment you put into an overrated player

TheLord

The thread should be changed now that he has already blown it. A better title should be "why do we rate youngsters like Neymar so highly so prematurely?"

Stadjer

The thread should be changed now that he has already blown it. A better title should be "why do we rate youngsters like Neymar so highly so prematurely?"
Prematurely? Neymar has been amongst the best players in the world during multiple parts of his career. He finished third for the Ballon d'Or twice (2015 & 2017). He was rightly highly rated at several points during his career.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Which is PR. He's not exactly going to say it's a "piece of piss and I came here for money" as the new face of the league.

I'm sorry you're desperate for the potential to be realised in exchange for the emotional investment you put into an overrated player
Yeah, because it would be pretty stupid to say that its easy when all the evidence is to the contrary.

And I'm sorry that you reach opinions by swallowing PL media BS instead of using your brain, but hey-ho

samlee86

What must the Saudi’s be thinking $200m per year for a crook. He’s only got a 2 year contract.

Cant wait to see the pictures of him partying hard on Copacobana while Al-Hilal slog away at Al-Fateh.

el3mel

A player with his abilities should have achieved ten times more than what he accomplished. Such a shame. I hate it when exceptional players ruin their careers with their own hands.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yes, Brazil’s all time scorer and regular Balon Dor runner up who’s won 29 major trophies in 14 years is a ‘prematurely overrated youngster’… :lol:

FFS
Hilarious when you put it that way :lol:

Cafe's always hated him, so no surprise seeing of the posts here.

Swordsman

rumored he wanted to be the leading man at Barca but since Messi will always be the king at there, he go to PSG to be the leading man, little did he know ninja turtle will be there shortly.

TheLord

Yes, Brazil’s all time scorer and regular Balon Dor runner up who’s won 29 major trophies in 14 years is a ‘prematurely overrated youngster’… :lol:

FFS
Team trophies is partially because of individual's performances but largely because of the team's overall. Your emphasis on team trophies suggests that Alves is a much better player because he has nearly 45 career trophies.

Nobody is questioning Neymar's abilities, but the original question in this thread was if Neymar is the successor to Messi and Ronaldo - two potential GOATs - and the answer to that is F*ing no!

Some thought he would go on to be as good as the other two and that premature judgment was definitely wrong.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
A waste of his career due to greed and other off field distractions to be honest, even though he has been doing very well before his move to PSG. Talent wise he is up there with the best I’ve seen, but his lack of commitment, work ethics and being prone to injuries (maybe more to do with his style of play too) has really limited him from being a great player in the games.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There were times he was better than Messi for me. And it's not like Messi was underperforming during said periods. He was just that good.

It's a shame there will be a relatively high section of fans who will remember him as a show pony, but he did himself no favours by going to France in his prime. Same with Verratti.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Team trophies is partially because of individual's performances but largely because of the team's overall. Your emphasis on team trophies suggests that Alves is a much better player because he has nearly 45 career trophies.

Nobody is questioning Neymar's abilities, but the original question in this thread was if Neymar is the successor to Messi and Ronaldo - two potential GOATs - and the answer to that is F*ing no!

Some thought he would go on to be as good as the other two and that premature judgment was definitely wrong.
The thing is, Neymar has been an absolutely crucial, talismanic player in all those teams for those 29 trophies and everyone knows it.

He’s a great. When the dust settles on his career and people look at his achievements with a little more objectivity and a little less emotion it will be very clear.

Yes, he’s a bit flaky and he clearly doesn’t value the same things that Eurocentric football culture does, but FFS, he gets talked about like his career is akin to Gazza or even Ravel Morrison at times! It’s crazy.

‘Oh what could’ve been’ - he’s the top scorer of Brazil above the likes of Pele and Ronaldo, with 29 major trophies in his name.

I just think people are a little bit swayed by a narrative with him.

Could he have achieved more? Probably.

Has he achieved an absolute shitload anyway? Definitely.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

FFS
Major trophies :lol:

Take away the 16 worthless Ligue 1 trophies please.

He also won 8 in a 24 month period with Barcelona.

So it's five trophies left, which he won in the remaining 12 years.

What a career

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Perhaps this is why no one rates Neymar's time in France.
Or his departure is one of the reasons nobody wants to pay ;)

Anyway, I think this belittling of other leagues is pointless. Had Neymar joined Lyon or Marseille and won them Ligue 1, it would have been a different story. But joining a team that is so far ahead of the domestic competition made it all about UCL glory.

I think in his first 3-4 years at PSG, Neymar when fit was second only to Messi. But he was never really challenged playing in Ligue 1 and was sidelined by injuries that definitely had tondonwith his lifestyle and his lifestyle had to do with PSG.

All in all a terrible career move and a real shame. But I wouldn't blame it on the league, that's too easy.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

FFS
A lot of dumb opinions in this thread made by people who are clearly not capable of critical thinking or consideration of historical context

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Or his departure is one of the reasons nobody wants to pay ;)

Anyway, I think this belittling of other leagues is pointless. Had Neymar joined Lyon or Marseille and won them Ligue 1, it would have been a different story. But joining a team that is so far ahead of the domestic competition made it all about UCL glory.

I think in his first 3-4 years at PSG, Neymar when fit was second only to Messi. But he was never really challenged playing in Ligue 1 and was sidelined by injuries that definitely had tondonwith his lifestyle and his lifestyle had to do with PSG.

All in all a terrible career move and a real shame. But I wouldn't blame it on the league, that's too easy.
The belittling of other European leagues is a cancer all over these boards that will seemingly never end.

el3mel

This makes no sense
No it was. He was supposed to be the best thing after Messi and Ronaldo, but he doesn't have much to show for something like that at the end of his career. The PSG move ruined his career.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
No it was. He was supposed to be the best thing after Messi and Ronaldo, but he doesn't have much to show for something like that at the end of his career. The PSG move ruined his career.
Welp... He will have a lot of money at the end of the career, both from PSG mega-deal and from Saudi league now, but yeah - he absolutely wasted his talent

This is the new generation of footballers. The values simply are not what they used to be, for the majority of them.

It is very sad when somebody has as much talent as Neymar. He is not Sancho or Maguire, he was truly the best. And he could probably have made enough from advertising deals, to not ruin his career. Big mistake

Stadjer

He did finish third in the Ballon d'Or behind Messi and Ronaldo twice. He did turn out to be the best behind Ronaldo and Messi.