The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
No it was. He was supposed to be the best thing after Messi and Ronaldo, but he doesn't have much to show for something like that at the end of his career. The PSG move ruined his career.
This is a blinkered opinion. He's not Messi or Ronaldo. He finished just behind them in the Ballon D'Or voting on two occasions IIRC. Not that the Ballon D'Or should even be some kind of judgment seat on your career anyway, do you know how many insanely great players (Europeans, I mean) never won the freaking Ballon D'Or? Even in eras where 2 players didn't gobble up all the awards?

Saying that 'he should have been Messi or Ronaldo is silly, because they are freakish. When you compare him to actual humans, he stacks up pretty well.

Going to PSG has nothing to do with anything. Again, if they don't lose 1-0 to Bayern Munich in the CL final then this whole stupid narrative is completely different. He helped them get to a final and a semi final, which is further than they've ever gotten. So he 'wasted his career' because they lost 1-0 to an all time great Bayern Munich team? It's just asinine thinking, mainly driven by the propaganda that only the PL is a good league and the other leagues (aside fron Real Madrid and Barcelona) are rubbish. And Madrid only get a pass because they've won almost as many European Cups as all the English teams put together (so it doesn't work to throw shade on them) and Barca only get a pass because virtually every legendary player in history has played for them. But rest assured, the actual Spanish league gets no respect from these people either, even though their teams have dominated the CL and EL for some 15 years.

samlee86

Perhaps this is why no one rates Neymar's time in France.
Crazy to think the Saudi League has become a more exciting league than the French League in the space of transfer window.

The PSG project has killed that league.

Also, why aren’t the Qatari broadcasters (BEIN Sport) bidding for the French League.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
There are too many times I’ve turned on games to watch where Neymar looks like he partied til 4 am to get up and play a game at 9 am, eyes still bloodshot.

I think of people like Ronaldo and Tom Brady that won’t even have the occasional soft drink …

Talent is important, but in modern sports it takes a mental dedication that’s just as important as the talent to be historically great… and I don’t think Neymar would have had that wherever he played.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
PSG have ruined their league :lol:. Used to be a great league wth different winners - Lille, Montpellier, Bordeaux, Marseille, Lyon, Monaco, Nantes all winning in this century. A real shame.
I bet those who said they don't watch because of PSG dominance were not watching the days when different teams were winning

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Not everything is measured by team trophies count. Someone like him should have multiple Ballon D' Or to show for. He was an exceptional talent.
When your prime coincides with Messi and Ronaldos then how do you win multiple Balon dors?

I will go and say those legendary players of the past who won Balon dor won't win any if they played with Messi and Ronaldo

Owen Papin Stoichkov Nedved won Balon dor I don't think any of them played to the level of Neymar

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Crazy to think the Saudi League has become a more exciting league than the French League in the space of transfer window.

The PSG project has killed that league.

Also, why aren’t the Qatari broadcasters (BEIN Sport) bidding for the French League.
Imagine the viewing rights of the PL disappearing with the exit of Salah.

Mental.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Neymar also looks like an ex-boxer who can take a solid punch - that jaw!

On another note, how utterly unprofessional to get the biggest contract of your life and then do that to yourself; Hazard 2.0.

The Saudi’s must be fuming!

lsd

The Oracle

On another note, how utterly unprofessional to get the biggest contract of your life and then do that to yourself; Hazard 2.0.

Yeah I'm not sure there will be much sympathy for the Saudi's

antk

He's injured until at least August.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Surely they are not surprised by players on ridiculous money in the twilight of their careers being lazy.

Tyrion

It's hard to judge how much weight he's gained because it's two pictures and a short video. He definitely seems to have gained some.

He was unlucky with injuries but its hard not to judge that he was never that dedicated to football. That's why the Messi comparisons were daft. Only Ronaldo had a similar level of dedication.

RedDevilQuebecois

Is that…. Romario?? :( :(
Is he sick?

—-

They must eat some incredible food in Brazilian households! Looks like a rite of passage to be tremendously talented and blow up like a house in the final years of playing.
No, Romario is living a fine life as a federal senator representing Rio de Janeiro.

It's disconcerting when you think Romario looks more like a footballer than Neymar is here.

Malkovich

Romario had a bariatric surgery a few years ago to help his diabetes, that's why he changed a lot.

Reactions: Fortitude

KeanoMagicHat

It's hard to judge how much weight he's gained because it's two pictures and a short video. He definitely seems to have gained some.

He was unlucky with injuries but its hard not to judge that he was never that dedicated to football. That's why the Messi comparisons were daft. Only Ronaldo had a similar level of dedication.
He has 128 caps for Brazil and 79 goals, won the CL etc, harsh to say he was not that dedicated to football. Like Rooney, Fabregas and others he played an awful lot of football from 16 to 20. 225 games for Santos before even coming to European football. Career is top heavy.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
it's very hard for me to see Neymar like that. He's the best player I've ever seen on a football pitch (in a stadium). Back in 2017, he looked like he was literraly hovering over the grass and you had to hold your breath every time he touched the ball because he could invent anything. Such a shame he couldn't sustain that level because of injuries and/or his lifestyle.

That being said, selling him last summer was a genius move.

TsuWave

I've been watching a lot of videos on him for the past three days. This guy might be one of my favorite players ever.

His level of ability is unrivalled in my eyes. I prefer watching him play than I do Messi. Football just comes to him so naturally. Incredible player.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I've been watching a lot of videos on him for the past three days. This guy might be one of my favorite players ever.

His level of ability is unrivalled in my eyes. I prefer watching him play than I do Messi. Football just comes to him so naturally. Incredible player.

Watching that it's a damn shame Neymar and Robben were never on a team together.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

In my opinion, the player with the most potential after Messi in the last 30 years. He's had a very good career, but it could have been so much more. It is a shame that he was injured so often and apparently gave up at some point. I suppose it's understandable when you're a multi-millionaire and don't want any more visits to the doctor and hospital beds.

Jeffthered

Love this player. Brilliant talent. Astonishing player. Barca was the right place for him. His approach to the game is something else.. whether he can reach those levels again, who knows, but I would hope that he can get fit, 100% fit.. and focused (that's key...) then we can assess and watch this amazing player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Brazil's teammates and career choices all that set apart Neymar from Ronaldinho

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Brazil's teammates and career choices all that set apart Neymar from Ronaldinho
As ridiculous as it might sound, Neymar was actually more disciplined than Ronaldinho

Teammates made the difference while Dinho was playing with one of the most talented Brazilian squads R9, Rivaldo Cafu Carlos Kaka Adriano
Neymar played a world cup at home with Jo Fred Hulk Bernard David Luiz,

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As ridiculous as it might sound, Neymar was actually more disciplined than Ronaldinho

Teammates made the difference while Dinho was playing with one of the most talented Brazilian squads R9, Rivaldo Cafu Carlos Kaka Adriano
Neymar played a world cup at home with Jo Fred Hulk Bernard David Luiz,
And got his back broken before the semifinal. Then broke a foot 3 months before another world cup. Then got to another world cup carrying an injury and they got football'd by Croatia

Could/Should have done more in Copa America tbf. They won one without him even

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Was called the natural successor for a reason and the baton, by talent, unquestionably hands straight over to him from Messi/Ronaldo with nobody else active showing anything like that ability. In an alternate timeline, he’d be having his time, or, it’d have drawn to an end having left the mark it should have. It’s sad that it’s turned out as it has, especially so when the production line of that level of talent is non-existent in the here and now.

Don’t know what Endrick and that age group have to offer, but if not them, you’re talking at least a few years waiting on the ones after them for another of this tier. Neymar was taken for granted because of the shadow cast by two game distorting players.