g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

TheReligion

Abusive
I really haven't a clue - there isn't an obvious candidate, is there?

I would like someone who is flexible tactically, and has a proven track record - difficult to think of someone the FAI can afford right now.

Hopefully there is a good interview process in the new year.
I think you’d be better moving away from a proven track record as such, especially if you want young, fresh and new ideas?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Last six words of your post are important.
aye. the ireland sides of yore were made up of a core of top 6 premier league players, often let down by the rest of the squad being lower half of the premier league standard. nowadays the superstars of the team are lower premier league standard, being let down by the championship level standard players filling in the rest of the team.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
aye. the ireland sides of yore were made up of a core of top 6 premier league players, often let down by the rest of the squad being lower half of the premier league standard. nowadays the superstars of the team are lower premier league standard, being let down by the championship level standard players filling in the rest of the team.
Yup. Exactly. And that’s a huge drop off for a team that was always below the top tier of international teams anyway.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I really haven't a clue - there isn't an obvious candidate, is there?

I would like someone who is tactically flexible, and has a proven track record - difficult to think of someone the FAI can afford right now.

Hopefully there is a good interview process in the new year.
The FAI have no money - itll be a zoom call and a meeting in Circle K Dublin Airport

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I feel like nobody would notice if Patrick Kielty took over from Kenny and Neil Lennon did the Late Late Show.

Oranges038

I'd take you over Bruce, Lennon or Duff, Oranges.
I'm sure if we all put our heads together,we could pick the squad and manage the team from here and that would still be preferable to any of the current options available.

Jericho

We should have kept Mick in charge for that playoff against Slovakia. I'd take him back now.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I’ve a horrible feeling that they really are that shite.
Is the players currently on the team really the best we can find?
None of them carry any sort of presence - I was row A on Tuesday night and seeing them up close doesn't inspire

padzilla

Hipster
Even N Ireland beating Demmark in a meaningless friendly the other night looked like a result impossible under Kenny.
Nobody's expecting the team to pull up trees but it would be good to see them giving it a go, not accepting they are going to be automatically hammered and that a narrow defeat is actually a good result.
There has been far too much doom and gloom under Kenny's regime.
Whoever comes in has the opportunity to immediately get them playing on the front foot instead of being petrified of losing the ball, which creates panic and reduces their self-belief.
We aren't a good squad but we certainly aren't as bad as recent years have suggested either.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Rafa has a job with Celta Vigo no? Not a hope he'd give that up for skint employers and another fanbase needing constant reassurance.

Jericho

:lol:

Jesus Christ what is the obsession with Mick with some lads
Obsession? It's not like anyone is saying Mick is a world class manager. We have limited options and he did alright when he was here, especially by current standards.
We can look back with hindsight now at the fact we traded in a better manager in for Kenny.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Obsession? It's not like anyone is saying Mick is a world class manager. We have limited options and he did alright when he was here, especially by current standards.
We can look back with hindsight now at the fact we traded in a better manager in for Kenny.
We got rid of Mick in the hope that we were replacing him with a better manager. We shouldn't give up on that hope yet. It's not as though it was an unrealistic level of ambition.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Neil Lennon down to the final two with Carsley seemingly :houllier: :houllier:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41313196.html

Sounds like they didn't bother their arse looking beyond England/Scotland. Lennon more or less managed to lose a 2 horse race to Gerrard FFS.

Carsley you see the logic in taking a punt on but Lennon ffs. Don't even think he's been linked with any of the jobs rhat have come up in England recently. At least Carsley was linked with the Stoke, Sunderland and Birmingham jobs.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Starting to sound like the new head coach/manager is going to be Lee Carsley

Wouldn't have been my first choice but given it's reportedly between him and Neil Lennon. I'd take the punt Carsley every day of the week

Oranges038

Thank feck it's not Lennon.

Hope it works out for him, he seems like a good coach. There's a few good young players coming through and it helps that he has high level experience of working with young players.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
How has he done with England?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Fair play. The idea of Neil Lennon had me in the horrors. It's a roll of the dice but an exciting one. Best of luck to him. Good work from the FAI. Not a sentence I've ever typed before.