The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, only saw half an hour or so but Idah was completely himself, good lad, gamey, awkward and never really looked a goal threat. Ballsy way to wrap up his debut but he looked like you would expect Norwich's 3rd or 4th choice striker to look. It's not going to happen for him.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Welcome to Hell Banner for Deco and Jack :D :D

Not a chance that an evening KO is sanctioned by the Gardai for the England game. 2pm KO at the latest I'd say. Our own little scrotes who wouldn't usualy go to games would be more of the issue more than anything else

Fr. Todd Unctious

5pm on a Saturday can't see that being a problem at all :lol:

Not a chance that stays like that. I'd guess brought forward to 2pm after dicussions with the relevant stakeholders i.e. the Guards

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Mad that we're in the same group as England :lol: The Nations League rankings are bizarre.
The Aviva and FAI are ratcheting up the cost of the tickets as we speak - wait and see how much they are - wont be a ticket for less than €80 for a guaranteed whopping

Oranges038

A few days old, but great to see these young lads go from playing LOI at 17/18 to getting a chance at a bigger clubs.

Fr. Todd Unctious

A few days old, but great to see these young lads go from playing LOI at 17/18 to getting a chance at a bigger clubs.

Love seeing this. Have been saying for a few years that I'd love to see where possible Irish lads looking beyond England and Scotland. Italian clubs must have people here as there's quite a few lads who've gone over to Italy in the last few years.

Oranges038

Love seeing this. Have been saying for a few years that I'd love to see where possible Irish lads looking beyond England and Scotland. Italian clubs must have people here as there's quite a few lads who've gone over to Italy in the last few years.
Yeah, there's a great route there now with the regional development sqauds and those players playing undergae LOI and internationals. Hopefully a few more decide to go beyond England and look further afield.

How many Irish players is that now in Italy?
Him and Festy. After that, I wouldn't be too sure.

next_number_seven

Yeah, there's a great route there now with the regional development sqauds and those players playing undergae LOI and internationals. Hopefully a few more decide to go beyond England and look further afield.

Him and Festy. After that, I wouldn't be too sure.
I think there's nearly 10.

A shamrock Rovers kid went last week also. Algerian name I think.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
He was absolutely shocking. Proper Shane Duffy material. Two penalties doesn't change that.

Edit: in saying that , this mythical thing he does i.e scoring penalties would have had us about 10points clear if we had him from the summer. Our conversion rate was about 40% from the spot before he arrived .

Last edited:

RORY65

Yet another disgraceful display. Exactly the level of player i expected from someone who's played bottom of the EPL/Top of The championship. Loves missing a sitter.
Unlike the rest of the Celtic team who would be starting for Man City. He probably won't be good enough but give the guy more than a couple of games (including one in which he scored 2 goals, admittedly penalties) before writing him off.

Red00012

Yet another disgraceful display. Exactly the level of player i expected from someone who's played bottom of the EPL/Top of The championship. Loves missing a sitter.
It’s the Scottish league . It’s his level

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
It’s the Scottish league . It’s his level
I fear he'll be the same level as shane Duffy, nat Phillips, teemu pukki, bayo, joe worrall, waghorn, barton etc . I.e not good enough for Scottish football. Hopefully I'm getting roasted weekly in here and he does well. Watching him play like ollie mcburnie in his last two matches doesn't give me much hope.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I fear he'll be the same level as shane Duffy, nat Phillips, teemu pukki, bayo, joe worrall, waghorn, barton etc . I.e not good enough for Scottish football. Hopefully I'm getting roasted weekly in here and he does well. Watching him play like ollie mcburnie in his last two matches doesn't give me much hope.
I'm with you Krny, I think he's pants.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Tracey is probably on the money here. (With obvious caveat that it's the FAI we're talking about) At this stage it's dragging on too much for it to be anyone else. Crossing of the t's and dotting of the i's just taking a bit longer than anticpated.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't know who to believe. Journalists appear to be briefed that he is keen on the gig, but all his buddies in the media are reporting the opposite. Are the FAI really that incompetent to be chasing someone uninterested for this long? Yes, probably. The cynic in me feels the FAI may be drip feeding these stories to ensure the public are aware that they're doing all they can to get their man.

In any case, this chase surely can't go on much longer. Even at a snails pace.

Coleman's name has popped up recently, his dad was Irish. I'd sooner have him over Lennon.

Fr. Todd Unctious

I don't know who to believe. Journalists appear to be briefed that he is keen on the gig, but all his buddies in the media are reporting the opposite. Are the FAI really that incompetent to be chasing someone uninterested for this long? Yes, probably. The cynic in me feels the FAI may be drip feeding these stories to ensure the public are aware that they're doing all they can to get their man.

In any case, this chase surely can't go on much longer. Even at a snails pace.

Coleman's name has popped up recently, his dad was Irish. I'd sooner have him over Lennon.
100%

Can't take away the fact he got Wales to semis of Euro 2016. Some of the Lennon brigade bring up the fact he beat Barcelona with Celtic with 12% possession over a decade ago as part of the justification for giving him the job :houllier:

Brophs

The One and Only
No serious club or nation would give Neil Lennon a look at this job.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
100%

Can't take away the fact he got Wales to semis of Euro 2016. Some of the Lennon brigade bring up the fact he beat Barcelona with Celtic with 12% possession over a decade ago as part of the justification for giving him the job :houllier:
The 12% possession thing is a myth that never happened

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
It was like 18% wasn't it? Not much better. I have heard informal stories about Lennon and his drinking. I wouldn't want him.

27%

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2009541--celtic-vs-barcelona/

Something not uncommon against that Barcelona team (they humped Arsenal a season or two earlier and had 67% against them) . Absolute madness that he got Celtic to the Last 16 of Europes most prestigious competition with Kelvin Wilson , Adam Matthews, Efe ambrose lustig and Charlie mulgrew. Better than winning a youth tournament with the best squad.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
I guess Coleman did okay with Wales but he also had Gareth Bale.

He wouldn't be my first choice to say the least. I suspect he isn't Ireland's either.