The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
When Johnny goes marching down the wing...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So, apparently it is going to be O'Shea interim manager. They want to wait for Carsley or Barry. Carsley situation is complicated because the FAI want the new manager to be based in Ireland but Carsley has a child with special needs and is not keen on relocating. Barry could become available with Tuchel likely to be sacked at Bayern. Heard it from a friend of a friend. Could be nonsense.
So then...

Glad it's finally done. This was the right decision if they can't get their preferred choice right now.

Gee Male

So then...

Glad it's finally done. This was the right decision if they can't get their preferred choice right now.
Agree that it's the right decision based on the hole we have managed to dig ourselves into, but incredibly poor few months again by the FAI. You'd have to ask what they've been doing the last few months.

I'd guess now that we won't have an appointment until August at the earliest. Which is a pain in the bollix, need someone to be paying attention to the last few months of this season as they'll have no time before the England game next season.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Was McCarthy working with the FAI already? He seems to appear every few months to take interim charge of Palace.

Fr. Todd Unctious

So, apparently it is going to be O'Shea interim manager. They want to wait for Carsley or Barry. Carsley situation is complicated because the FAI want the new manager to be based in Ireland but Carsley has a child with special needs and is not keen on relocating. Barry could become available with Tuchel likely to be sacked at Bayern. Heard it from a friend of a friend. Could be nonsense.

*New Coach being in place by early April would suggest it's going to Carsley IMO

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0228/1434929-oshea-appointed-interim-ireland-manager/

The FAI have also said the job will be filled on a permanent basis in early April
* = If the FAI aren't telling porkies which is entirely possible.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I think this a bit of a see what you can do role. If them games go well, they may keep him. Similar to the Solskjaer situation

Oranges038

If he wins a couple of games odds are they'll give him the job. Would love to see him do well, but don't see how it could work out as a long term appointment.

next_number_seven

If he wins a couple of games odds are they'll give him the job. Would love to see him do well, but don't see how it could work out as a long term appointment.
It's not that crazy. If he does well, keep him on.

He's very experienced in football now. 20 seasons as a player and 4 seasons as a coach.

Does anyone know what managers/coaches he's played under or coached with?

Obviously Sir Alex, Carlos Quiroz, Rene.

At Sunderland it was Big Sam, Poyet, Martin O'Neill maybe

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
It's not that crazy. If he does well, keep him on.

He's very experienced in football now. 20 seasons as a player and 4 seasons as a coach.

Does anyone know what managers/coaches he's played under or coached with?

Obviously Sir Alex, Carlos Quiroz, Rene.

At Sunderland it was Big Sam, Poyet, Martin O'Neill maybe
Sean O'Driscoll on loan to Bournemouth in 2000 and Regi Van Acker on loan to Royal Antwerp in 2001.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Would be shocked if that happens. Reading between the lines it seems to indicate it being Carsley but nothing being said out of courtsey to the FA on account of the two qualifying matches

Would wager O'Shea and McCarthy will be part of the backroom team.

RORY65

Yet another disgraceful display. Exactly the level of player i expected from someone who's played bottom of the EPL/Top of The championship. Loves missing a sitter.
Another goal tonight, Celtic are becoming a 1 man team.

Robbie Boy

Took his goals well thank feck. After watching atrocious display after atrocious display from him for the past few weeks and missing sitter after sitter I was starting to think he was even worse than i thought. We've resorted to hoofball tactics with this lump. Thankfully they worked yesterday
6 games, 5 goals/1 assist, and he's been "atrocious"?

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Another goal tonight, Celtic are becoming a 1 man team.
6 games, 5 goals/1 assist, and he's been "atrocious"?
Yes. It's been a hard watch with him. We've resorted to Trebuchet football, i.e lump it to the 6"3 beampole. He scored a couple of good headers, fair play to him. Shown he can one touch finish if a ball is laid on a plate (thankfully Because he was missing them and costing us). Give him time and a decision to make and it falls apart. It's like Mctominay when he scores it's brilliant but if you watch what else he's doing you are perplexed. Hopefully he can keep scoring his headers and takes us to the title. We've 10 or so games left ,so Trebuchet football may have to do.

Brophs

The One and Only
Hope it all works out for O Shea, he's a top bloke.
I told this story a few years back but I agree, he’s a genuinely good person from what anyone I know who has had contact with him says.

Brief O'Shea story, for anyone interested.

Quite often when home in Ireland he'd visited a children's hospital, without any need for press or attention, usually bringing along other players. Anyway, the hospital was doing a headline event with a particular Irish sportsperson, someone who (rightly) gets lauded for the amount of charity work they do. This sportsperson dropped out of the event at short notice, without any real reason given, sending the organisers into a massive panic. O'Shea had given them his personal mobile number when he was over previously so they chanced their arm and rang him, hoping he'd convince someone in the Irish squad or set up. He took the call himself, agreed without asking any details beyond where and when and, two days later, turned up an hour early with two massive bags of gear and toys for the kids, which he'd bought and transported across himself. The event was scheduled to run for 90 mins, he stayed almost 6 hours, had chicken nuggets and chips with the kids long after he was supposed to be gone, played more games of FIFA and posed for more photos than is humanly possible and generally made them feel incredibly special.

So yeah, it's fair to say I think, in the most important sense, he's top class.

RORY65

Yes. It's been a hard watch with him. We've resorted to Trebuchet football, i.e lump it to the 6"3 beampole. He scored a couple of good headers, fair play to him. Shown he can one touch finish if a ball is laid on a plate (thankfully Because he was missing them and costing us). Give him time and a decision to make and it falls apart. It's like Mctominay when he scores it's brilliant but if you watch what else he's doing you are perplexed. Hopefully he can keep scoring his headers and takes us to the title. We've 10 or so games left ,so Trebuchet football may have to do.
Fair enough, to be honest I haven't seen him play for you yet but the stats have looked good so it was disappointing to read your much more informed opinion which wasn't exactly glowing. Obviously Ireland are so desperate right now for players that it's at least encouraging that he's scoring and maybe with more regular game time he can develop as a player.

Robbie Boy

Fans on the Celtic sub on Reddit seem to like him.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Speaking of Irish lads at Celtic, Mikey Johnston's just scored a cracker for West Brom.

Brophs

The One and Only
I still think it’s Carsley but I don’t think Bilic would be a terrible choice at all. Particularly with how the ‘process’ has gone.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
The 42 is saying that Bilic hasn't been approached by the FAI and has heard nothing about this. The FAI are just going to keep running names up the flagpole until they get one with sufficient public approval.

Brophs

The One and Only
The 42 is saying that Bilic hasn't been approached by the FAI and has heard nothing about this. The FAI are just going to keep running names up the flagpole until they get one with sufficient public approval.
THAT’S HOW YOU DO RECRUITMENT. ACTUALLY.