The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

padzilla

Hipster
What a golden age to be supporting Manchester United and Ireland when our next potential managers are said to z list failure Gus Poyet and third rate clown Gareth Southgate.

Oranges038

Depressing thoughts.

Southgate should be nowhere near a list of potential Utd managers, they play about 2 games every couple of years that they face a challenge and usually lose.

Ireland's potential list of managers is such a let down, there's a real lack of decent available options out there. Someone who's out of work like Javi Gracia, Rudi Garcia, Steve Cooper even Scott Parker would be more interesting than fecking Sagnol or Poyet.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I thought I'd at least come home from Lansdowne and have some funny comments to laugh at in here. FFS

Zebs

I thought we looked ok but no different than under Kenny. Coleman was awful, Ferguson was lost and his confidence is shot.

What's worse is that the singing section in 114 has gone to absolute shit. Just a bunch of arseholes who can't make it to Celtic Park on a weekly basis singing Celtic songs, rebel tunes and calling Jack Grealish a wanker.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought we looked ok but no different than under Kenny. Coleman was awful, Ferguson was lost and his confidence is shot.

What's worse is that the singing section in 114 has gone to absolute shit. Just a bunch of arseholes who can't make it to Celtic Park on a weekly basis singing Celtic songs, rebel tunes and calling Jack Grealish a wanker.
In an article I read it had Coleman as the highest rating along with Brady. Is that naff then?

StamsShinyHead

"SAF you're an old dick, but I respect you."

I was on the train up from Dundalk yesterday and it was just full of annoying cnuts like this.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Grealish seems like one of the most genuine people in football. Rice is the wanker.

I actually thought we looked alright yesterday. Seemed a bit more likely to score at least.

Ole'sgunnarwin

The thing is, it's the usual. We play ok but don't score goals. Until this is rectified, it seems like the same old. The performance seemed a little better but it doesn't matter if you can't put the ball in the back of the net.

Zebs

In an article I read it had Coleman as the highest rating along with Brady. Is that naff then?
yeah, I saw a journo on Twitter say the same, but from where I was standing he was very poor. Constantly being given out to by Omabamidele and Collins because he was out of position and kept making the wrong decision going forward.

Brophs

The One and Only
yeah, I saw a journo on Twitter say the same, but from where I was standing he was very poor. Constantly being given out to by Omabamidele and Collins because he was out of position and kept making the wrong decision going forward.
Jaysus. The poor kettle. The pot has some fecking neck on him.

Zebs

So the two favourites for the job just drew 0-0 against each other. Go figure.

Zebs

Idah's been very good since he came on.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Positives: Sammie has been capped. Azaz could be a decent option. We are stacked with centre-back talent. Kelleher was good.

Negatives: Ferguson is out of form, to be expected for a kid to be fair. Bazunu not great. We lack creativity. Not really anything to shout about.

Oranges038

Doesn't matter who is in charge, Ireland lack creativity and quality in midfield, that's why there's never enough decent chances created, the football is alright, safe sideways and backwards but always lacking an incisive cutting edge.

Until that is resolved I don't think it will change.

padzilla

Hipster
Gus Poyet's wikipedia page reads like a challenge for whoever is editing it to come up with different ways of writing he was sacked, he has been fired from so many jobs in management.

If a six-month long recruitment process ends with him being offered the job, the FAI officials involved should be resigning in shame.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Oh please get Keane in. Everything has been so boring for years. At least we'll get some sort of entertainment.

Oranges038

Roy Keane as Ireland manager... he could bring Ian Wright along to talk some sense into him at times.

I can see it ending in a Conte style rant, no doubt all the pundits would have the knives out from the start and we'll see Mick MacCaaathaaay on for every game. Could also see him doing a Jim McClean on that fecking clown from RTE Tony O'Donohue.

Whatevet happens, it would make for a good behinds the scenes documentary.

RORY65

Oh please get Keane in. Everything has been so boring for years. At least we'll get some sort of entertainment.
I've sort of come round to this line of thinking, if we're going to be shite then there may as well be some entertainment around the games. There's no good option anyway so embrace the nonsense that would come with Keane.

Brophs

The One and Only
There’s definitely a bit of noise surrounding Keane. It would be a disastrous appointment. Post playing career he hasn’t been a manager for far longer than he has. He is clearly out of step with the modern player and he appears utterly disinterested in tactics.

I assume it’s nonsense because I’m also assuming that the FAI would take soundings from the players about him and I can’t see anyone who has worked with him wanting to work with him.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
How time flies, was it really six years ago that Keane was squaring up to Jon Walters and calling Harry Arter a prick for getting injured?

galwayfa

If Keane gets Job,it ruins Nevlle, Carragher and Wright soft jobs, hes the only one worth listening too

Oscar Bonavena

Keane would be a disaster, but the media would love it.

I've seen a lot of talk about how the next Ireland manager needs to "get" Irish football and "know" the players.

Why not just scout Europe for managers who have done a good job with small to medium countries (ie reached playoffs or tournaments against higher ranked teams) and know how to prepare (on paper) inferior players for games against international opposition?

Skint as the FAI are, they'd surely still offer more than what these managers are currently on, and if there's still a hankering to get someone in who "knows Irish football" then bring in JOS or someone as an assistant.

But of course, the FAI would be too shit scared to bring in an unknown from abroad because of the backlash from fans and the Irish media.

So it'll probably be Roy, and the cycle continues.....