The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Oranges038

Diving to try and win penalties. It's gone.

I was a fan of Kenny and think the direction he's taken the team is the right one, but this is just tame, limp and pathetic.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The fight has gone from this team.

I love Kenny, but this is abject, the players look like they are just going through the motions.

AaronRedDevil

He gave us the best football we’ve ever played in a long time. But the lacking of any ounce of quality in his reign is so unlucky. Only now we’ve Ferguson who’s at least decent. But it’s too little to late. Can’t even beat this shite Greece team at home.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Nobody believes in 'the project' anymore. The sooner this campaign dies a natural death, the better.

Tyrion

Shame to see it ending like this. Terrible performance so far. Hard to remember what we were all so positive about at one point. Well not all of us, obviously. Me though.
Agreed. I think Kenny was really happy to get this job and I wanted him to succeed more than most ireland managers. It's obviously gone too far though and it's best for everyone if it ends.

Withnail

Ah it's just never going in the net tonight.

You do get the impression the players have lost belief in the manager now. We've couldn't get near Greece all night. This should have been a much more even contest.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Anything to be said for Keith Andrews sticking one on Poyet? Nothing to lose at this stage. I never liked that fecker.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Forget money, if Kenny had any self respect or respect for football fans, he'd quit. He should have been gone a long time ago. And I do think he'll say it either tonight or the next match. It's the right thing to do

Withnail

Forget money, if Kenny had any self respect or respect for football fans, he'd quit. He should have been gone a long time ago. And I do think he'll say it either tonight or the next match. It's the right thing to do
That's ridiculous to be honest. If the FAI have someone lined up and decide it's best for him to go now then fair enough, but to feck off and leave them in the lurch would be not be very honourable.

Name Changed

weso26
I was a supporter of Kenny.

That's enough now. He can't qualify. Just get rid because keeping him even temporarily will be to the detriment of the team. Just let John O'Shea take the next 3 matches.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Watching him chatting to O’Shea there at the end, wouldn’t be surprised if he told him he’s quitting.

Mr.Plow

Didi Hamann is on the coverage I'm watching, main point he had was that teams in the past had to work hard to come away from Dublin with any type of result. Greece barely broke sweat and found themselves with a two goal cushion at half time and as it stands on course very comfortable win.
Yep. Greece sometimes look very lost in possession but we actually looked like a competent passing side out there. We're not awful, I quite fancied our chances today, but definitely would have expected something more even.

Either way, both teams were fecked with Holland and France in the group. We're in the playoffs due to Nations League so just hoping we can get an easy draw.

Name Changed

weso26
Me too. Like a sucker.

Now ask me for my thoughts about Ten Haag…
Most of us got taken in. Seems like a good guy, a football guy. We had a better one before though in Kerr and he wasn't given half as much leeway.

Didi Hamann taking Kenny apart.

Ole'sgunnarwin

That's ridiculous to be honest. If the FAI have someone lined up and decide it's best for him to go now then fair enough, but to feck off and leave them in the lurch would be not be very honourable.
Leave him in the lurch? There were a load of people refusing free tickets tonight. It couldn't be lower, don't care how he feels. Finish up vs Gibraltar, let O Shea or Andrews take the Netherlands game. You know the players have given up on Kenny.

Name Changed

weso26
It's not leaving them in the lurch. He's finished. He can't do anything in the last 3 matches. There's no point.

Oranges038

I think that's it for Kenny.

He got his chance and a combination of him just not being up to the standard required and a real lack of quality in key areas have led to this. Good quality possession football at times but aboslutely no creativity or penetration in the final third.

Hope we see someone come in who an build on this, but I bet we'll get someone dinosaur who'll bring it back to the basics of hoofball and running the channels. Probably be Steve Bruce or someone like that.

Withnail

Leave him in the lurch? There were a load of people refusing free tickets tonight. It couldn't be lower, don't care how he feels. Finish up vs Gibraltar, let O Shea or Andrews take the Netherlands game. You know the players have given up on Kenny.
That's what I mean. We've a game in three days even if it is meaningless. I thought you meant he should just walk away immediately.

I still think you do the job you're paid to do till you're fired.

Brophs

The One and Only
It’s a shame. He’s a good guy but it’s now very clear he’s not to to the job. He’s done very well to freshen up the squad but the standard and style of football, his only selling point at this stage, has been overplayed and the results have been dreadful. As has been said by plenty of people, he doesn’t have a monopoly on playing good football. There’s a manager out there who can do considerably better while playing decent football.

Ole'sgunnarwin

That's what I mean. We've a game in three days even if it is meaningless. I thought you meant he should just walk away immediately.

I still think you do the job you're paid to do till you're fired.
Ah yeah, take charge of Gibraltar but everything seems so hopeless now. If he left now, I think people will still hold him in high regard. Seems like a genuinely nice guy but it's gone beyond stale. I would like to see something fresh for the Dutch game.

Name Changed

weso26
It’s a shame. He’s a good guy but it’s now very clear he’s not to to the job. He’s done very well to freshen up the squad but the standard and style of football, his only selling point at this stage, has been overplayed and the results have been dreadful. As has been said by plenty of people, he doesn’t have a monopoly on playing good football. There’s a manager out there who can do considerably better while playing decent football.
Completely agree.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He is a very good guy and manager, things have not worked out in this job. He does not have a plan b during games, which was his downfall.

Like United, the problems in Irish football go higher than the manager.

Oranges038

Hamaan is a total spoofer.
Bring back Eamonn and Liam and John.

Would still be more interesting than watching that gowl say "we" in reference to the Irish team. Given is about as interesting and insightful as a back of spuds.

Red00012

Cringe interview as per usual

unfortunaly the FAI won’t get rid until after the Holland game

Tyrion

What would him resigning now achieve?