g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Oranges038

It's much like all of the games under Kenny. The players are conditioned at this point
On a hiding to nothing at this point. Win the only 2 games you should win and that's all you can take away from this group. Overall the football hasn't been terrible, for the most part I think it's heading in the right direction, there's just zero creativity in the middle third of the pitch and the left side of attack is another gaping hole that needs to be filled. James McClean has been the best option there for this campaign and that says it all really.

Not saying Kenny should stay, I think he's had his chance, but it's always been a bit toothless and lacking intensity. Unless those two areas in the middle and on the left get sorted out, I don't see how it's going to be any more exciting or better under a new coach.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Maths is life.
Not really, that was true at a time, but is no longer true. Ireland need to lose to qualify
Im really not invested in the notion of a play off for Ireland as theyd lose anyway - but as a matter of interest who else is in that mix?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Im really not invested in the notion of a play off for Ireland as theyd lose anyway - but as a matter of interest who else is in that mix?
There are effectively 24 teams who get playoff spaces before Ireland, and 8 spaces. So ROI need 16 of them to qualify automatically. There are 20 automatic places. Germany have already qualified as hosts and are one of the 16 teams that would have been entitled so ROI needs 15 teams certain teams + Germany to qualify

lsd

The Oracle
There are effectively 24 teams who get playoff spaces before Ireland, and 8 spaces. So ROI need 16 of them to qualify automatically. There are 20 automatic places. Germany have already qualified as hosts and are one of the 16 teams that would have been entitled so ROI needs 15 teams certain teams + Germany to qualify
There's absolutely no chance of Ireland getting a play off spot it's over.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So wait a minute. In order to have a theoretical chance to qualify Ireland has to lose to us? :lol:

cyberman

So wait a minute. In order to have a theoretical chance to qualify Ireland has to lose to us? :lol:
We will easily lose anyway but I wish this happened to a Spain v Faroe Islands game or something similar.
Do you score an OG late on? Can you practice making it as natural as you can ala Gerrard v Chelsea where everybody knows but you can’t do anything

lsd

The Oracle
Hopefully this will happen and not Neil Lennon

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I don't know it just wouldn't feel right to have a total spoofer as massive as Poyet as manager without Dunphy, Giles and Brady there to give out about him.

padzilla

Hipster
Hopefully this will happen and not Neil Lennon
Jesus wept... please God no. If we're going to go with a complete bluffer it should be a complete bluffer of our own, there's plenty about.

If we're going down the foreign manager route it should be one who brings something other than 'I used to play for Chelsea'.

lsd

The Oracle
Seems to be playing well for Luton as well

Oranges038

Next one off the LOI production line.

Sam Curtis. Most likely leaving St Pats once he turns 18. Plenty of PL and European clubs have reportedly shown an interest.

Oranges038

Adam Murphy is a prospect too.
Yeah, Pat's seem to have a good setup going at the minute. Curtis looks a good player and It's really only him and Festy that I can see pushing for that right back spot over the next few years. Hopefully he gets a good move and can push on.

There's definitely a good route there for players that are good enough to get recognised and possibly get good opportunities from it. Especially now that quite a few don't mind going beyond England and looking at other European leagues.