The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

gob-arresteddevelopment.gif

Sam Curtis been excellent today.

The kid looks like he could have a bright future ahead of him.

It’s all been said, really. There’s no shame for Kenny in falling short. He got to have a go at his dream job and he couldn’t make it work, for any number of reasons. We just have to hope the next guy feels similarly passionately about the gig.

As expected, the Kenny era ends with a whimper.

Hopefully McClean gets a good send off on Tuesday, he deserves it.

Not much else to say, no idea who I want in as manager.

It's not Kenny's fault but any country with a bit of pride or direction would have parted ways with him long before tonight. Another abject performance.

That's probably it for Kenny, another impotent attacking display.

Irish squad is really lacking some cutting edge in midfield, he tries to play some nice football but I think it's that area that really lets it down, they're decent players on the ball, there's just a real lack of creativity and penetration in the final third. The wing options don't look too threatening either.

Irish squad is really lacking some cutting edge in midfield, he tries to play some nice football but I think it's that area that really lets it down, they're decent players on the ball, there's just a real lack of creativity and penetration in the final third. The wing options don't look too threatening either.

Our defence isn’t looking too hot either!

On the plus side, young Bazunu had a very good game.

This Kenny era has really soured me on Irish fans. I will readily admit that his record has not been at all acceptable but I've seen Irish players being willing to play with the ball at feet rather than boot it away as soon as they get a touch on it. I've been impressed with our work ethic when it comes to pressing higher up the pitch. Of course our naivity and at clumsiness has got us into trouble too many times but my view is that at least we have tried.

I wouldn't say we should hold onto him. I don't think his approach is fully working and his unwillingness to adapt to a match situation even when it hurts us has done him bad but at the same time I appreciate how differently he has viewed this team and its abilities.

I realise that I'm going to get pelters for this view of things but as much as he hasn't lived up to expectations, I don't appreciate the absolute battering he has consistently taken in the media and with the fanbase too. I feel that even if he failed, he at least failed on his own terms. But what do I know, I'm just some gobshite who shit-talks on a football forum.

Our defence isn’t looking too hot either!

On the plus side, young Bazunu had a very good game.

Collins looks good, but his defending isn't that good. Getting rolled and out done for pace by Carthorst from there. That is shocking defending. Really miss Duffy and Egan, Scales doesn't look bad, but it's too early to tell with him. Doherty is just awful in a green shirt most of the time and at left back, the options aren't great.

This Kenny era has really soured me on Irish fans. I will readily admit that his record has not been at all acceptable but I've seen Irish players being willing to play with the ball at feet rather than boot it away as soon as they get a touch on it. I've been impressed with our work ethic when it comes to pressing higher up the pitch. Of course our naivity and at clumsiness has got us into trouble too many times but my view is that at least we have tried.

I wouldn't say we should hold onto him. I don't think his approach is fully working and his unwillingness to adapt to a match situation even when it hurts us has done him bad but at the same time I appreciate how differently he has viewed this team and its abilities.

I realise that I'm going to get pelters for this view of things but as much as he hasn't lived up to expectations, I don't appreciate the absolute battering he has consistently taken in the media and with the fanbase too. I feel that even if he failed, he at least failed on his own terms. But what do I know, I'm just some gobshite who shit-talks on a football forum.

Yeah, the style of football has been better. This is the way all the underage groups that will be coming through now have been playing, so it makes sense to at least try and keep going this direction. Players being comfortable on the ball and playing it around, rather than hoofing it into the channels.

But it definitely needs someone to come in and try and add some cutting edge to it. Not sure there's enough creativity out there to do that.

So, what did we learn over the past two campaigns?

Out talentpool is as scarce as it has ever been.

The League of Ireland should be supported more but we should not be appointing managers from it.

Ireland can sometimes play decent football but it does not make us a competitive team, the next manager should look to deploy a more direct style - and there is no shame to that.

Kenny's a good guy but massively out of his depth at this level.

F*ck the FAI.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you have said, I also feel Kenny's stubborn attitude to getting this free flowing football is what has led to this poor run of results.

The football by and large has actually been pretty decent, but he is doing it with players who probably don't suit that style of play.
Ultimately football is a results business, and I personally feel Kenny should have reneged on his beliefs ever so slightly and not played so open against bigger teams or play to some of the players strengths rather then shoehorn then into a team based around one style.

I'm not advocating a return to MM kick and rush, just maybe a model where there is flexibility to mix things up, as I feel Kenny often keeps playing the same way with often the same results.

I disagree with the last bit. He's been afforded way more support and leniency from supporters than almost any other manager would have gotten. Far more than his performance as manager deserved, arguably. Of the many problems with this picture, I don't think the Irish supporters are one of them.

Collins looks good, but his defending isn't that good. Getting rolled and out done for pace by Carthorst from there. That is shocking defending. Really miss Duffy and Egan, Scales doesn't look bad, but it's too early to tell with him. Doherty is just awful in a green shirt most of the time and at left back, the options aren't great.

Yeah, the style of football has been better. This is the way all the underage groups that will be coming through now have been playing, so it makes sense to at least try and keep going this direction. Players being comfortable on the ball and playing it around, rather than hoofing it into the channels.

But it definitely needs someone to come in and try and add some cutting edge to it. Not sure there's enough creativity out there to do that.
I'm hoping that whoever comes in next can build upon that and add some more bite and solidity to the team rather than tear the whole thing up and go back to what we were doing before. My fear is that the FAI see this as a failed experiment and as evidence as to why we need to go back to how we used to do things.
Whilst I agree with a lot of what you have said, I also feel Kenny's stubborn attitude to getting this free flowing football is what has led to this poor run of results.

The football by and large has actually been pretty decent, but he is doing it with players who probably don't suit that style of play.
Ultimately football is a results business, and I personally feel Kenny should have reneged on his beliefs ever so slightly and not played so open against bigger teams or play to some of the players strengths rather then shoehorn then into a team based around one style.

I'm not advocating a return to MM kick and rush, just maybe a model where there is flexibility to mix things up, as I feel Kenny often keeps playing the same way with often the same results.
Yeah that's my thinking too. His insistence on sticking with his principles even when they weren't working has been his undoing. What I would like to see is a manager with a similar approach but who can be pragmatic when the need arises.
I disagree with the last bit. He's been afforded way more support and leniency from supporters than almost any other manager would have gotten. Far more than his performance as manager deserved, arguably. Of the many problems with this picture, I don't think the Irish supporters are one of them.
Perhaps I've given too much credence to online talk surrounding the team and the man himself. Nevertheless I can't help but feel a little disillusioned with the fact that the first time we try something adventurous in a while it ends up falling to pieces.

The fans, as in the match going fans, have stuck with him all the way.

The Irish squad has lacked quality in midfield for over a decade, which is an understatement to say the least.

The reality is it’s been crap in that time.

Yeah he's crap. Telling that he hasn't really played club football in eighteen months.

His interview tells me all I need to know. Backing Kenny to the hilt as he knows any decent manager will drop him.

One of the most annoying things Kenny has done is play this fella every time

Doherty is Atrocious :wenger:

A trend of Irish football is that we don’t play our best players when they’re actually at their best, and then give them loads of caps when they’re past their best.

Doherty was absolutely flying it at Wolves 4-5 years ago but Coleman was starting and couldn’t find a place for him. Then he’s clearly lost his legs and physicality now he plays every game.

McClean has got 100 caps for Ireland and couldn’t play under Trap when he was at his most exciting when he emerged at Sunderland, same when Wes and Coleman were two of the better players in the league.

A trend of Irish football is that we don’t play our best players when they’re actually at their best, and then give them loads of caps when they’re past their best.

Doherty was absolutely flying it at Wolves 4-5 years ago but Coleman was starting and couldn’t find a place for him. Then he’s clearly lost his legs and physicality now he plays every game.

McClean has got 100 caps for Ireland and couldn’t play under Trap when he was at his most exciting when he emerged at Sunderland, same when Wes and Coleman were two of the better players in the league.

McGeady was sort of in this bracket too..played nearly all the time and normally did feck all.

Doherty playing every game in the era where stats are available is just madness.

Ireland don't have the players. Norway have Odegaard and Haaland and they can't qualify because their teammates are shit. No manager in the world has this group of players competitive, worst group of players we ever had.

My extremely unresearched pitch for Ireland manager. It doesn't look like Szmodic will ever play for us as he has some personal family-related issue which means he doesn't want to be away from his family for more than a few days at a time. Otherwise he'd be in there. We're extremely lacking in creative players in the 10 role so let's give Andy Moran/Finn Azaz a go.

Gavin Bazunu

Andrew Omobamidele
Nathan Collins
Liam Scales
Ryan Manning

Josh Cullen
Jason Knight

Callum Robinson
Andy Moran
Chiedozie Ogbene

Evan Ferguson

Subs: