The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

Brophs

The One and Only
There’s a rumour knocking around that Carsley has told the FAI that he isn’t interested this time around.
I may be wrong but I don’t think Carsley turning us down is new news. I think the FAI hoped they’d change his mind after the initial rejection.

Lennon as a backup would be an appalling appointment but I don’t think it’s true that those were the final two. The are a couple of others from the rumours running around.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think Klopp is the obvious candidate now.
Oh sure. We’re just going to give the job to a guy who doesn’t speak about the game as if he’s had a recent and catastrophic head injury. Pathetic.

Conor

Oh sure. We’re just going to give the job to a guy who doesn’t speak about the game as if he’s had a recent and catastrophic head injury. Pathetic.
He would fit right in with the pre-match pint crowd in The Bath with those gnashers.

cyberman

Let me get this straight, you don’t want to see Klopps meltdown in the post match interview when we lose 1-0 at home to Malta?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Steve Bruce would be a good fit. Chris Hughton now available also
Chris' stock at rock bottom now, wasn't high before AFCON, Bruce is firmly in the dinosaur category these days, nobody has given him the time of day as regards a managers post in an age. Both would be desperately deflating appointments. God knows who I'd appoint but it needs someone who'll grab the attention of the raft of young, hungry players we have and breed some confidence and loyalty from the few semi experienced players that will be the leaders in this group. I know lots of people are looking for 'a steady hand', someone with 'a proven record ' after Kenny but Christ, I don't think the likes of Lennon, Bruce, Hughton are what this group will respond to. Or the Irish public. You know, the ones who care about it, go to matches etc.

diarm

I wouldn’t be totally against Hughton.

Lennon or Bruce would be an absolute disaster though.

They should give it to Keane for the craic though.

KeanoMagicHat

Hughton lost to Comoros, Cape Verde and drew with Mozambique in the past few months with a decent Ghana team on paper. Poor stuff.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
That's disappointing news re Carsley. Hopefully the FAI don't go and appoint one of the other depressing names linked with the job.

Steve Bruce won't happen, bit if it did, I'd hand my Irish passport in.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I genuinely agree with that last sentence. I'd rather see an entertaining shitshow rather than the general shitshow of the last 5 years

diarm

I genuinely agree with that last sentence. I'd rather see an entertaining shitshow rather than the general shitshow of the last 5 years
Also, he would light such a fire under the shitstain that is the FAI, future managers would benefit from the scorched earth he left behind.

Dearg hÉireann

To turn down the chance to become senior manager of the country you played for would be next to impossible for someone who considers themselves Irish.

The other names mentioned are such poor outdated managers that it's pretty depressing times if there's not a left field surprise.

diarm

I’m not watching a Lennon led Ireland. Better things to be doing with my time.

Withnail

To turn down the chance to become senior manager of the country you played for would be next to impossible for someone who considers themselves Irish.

The other names mentioned are such poor outdated managers that it's pretty depressing times if there's not a left field surprise.
Even with the shambles the FAI is in and the players available? Carsley's is obviously happy where he is but you have a point, I suppose. He qualified through his granny so you'd wonder how Irish he see himself.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Unsurprisngly not going down well at all from what I've seen so far on social media :lol:

Wonder is it kite flying like what they did with Venables after Stan got sacked. That's the last time I can recall such a negative backlash towards a proposed candidate

That did give us one of Dunphy's finest hours

Dearg hÉireann

Even with the shambles the FAI is in and the players available? Carsley's is obviously happy where he is but you have a point, I suppose. He qualified through his granny so you'd wonder how Irish he see himself.
It's a valid point and one which I thought about before posting but the FAI have been a shambles of an organisation for donkeys years and we've not been producing world class players for over 20 years so that's why I said a proper Irishman would find it hard to turn down the offer.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Unsurprisngly not going down well at all from what I've seen so far on social media :lol:

Wonder is it kite flying like what they did with Venables after Stan got sacked. That's the last time I can recall such a negative backlash towards a proposed candidate

That did give us one of Dunphy's finest hours

Bodied him. Bill was very good at needling these debates on. :lol:

Fr. Todd Unctious

But it's fine for the CEO to be living in London. Still an absolute shambles of an organisation even post Delaney :lol:

Also with the house prices/cost of rent in Dublin that's another massive exepnse on the balance sheet not to mention the cost of even more flights heading over each weekend

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I see Keane has reactivated his Instagram account. Perhaps it’s connected in some way?

Tyrion

If Lennon is Plan B. Then the FAI have not moved on much from the Delaney era. Absolutely shambolic if someone like Lennon is their fallback
Delaney was a symptom and not the disease. The whole organisation is unprofessional and laughable. The list of names being considered are, as one podcast I listen to put it, all predictable names that you'd expect to see playing golf with Dion Dublin instead of still working in football.

I'd rather Keane than Lennon. Keane would be awful but it would be funny at least. I do think rationally that would be better. At least it would keep people talking about the team.

padzilla

Hipster
Appointing Lennon would be astonishing, even for the FAI with its history of terrible choices.