The "New" Offside rule

Davo

What a 'kin joke....as Bolton showed last night

No one seems to be happy with it, or be sure exactly how it should work....and its impossible for the linesman to apply accurately or consistently...

Nice move FIFA

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well, new freekick regime:

Surround the opposition keeper and duck out of the way as your freekick taker striker the ball, bound to cause a lot of confusion.

:smirk:

Nate

Poached vegetables a speciality
It really is a load of bollocks.

Something has to be done about it because it runs the risk of making the game a joke.

You might aswell not bother having offside the way it is going.

Although I did have to laugh at Ian Walker though...

Davo

As has been pointed out, you can now just leave a striker by the box...and get him to jog back when his team attacks - and then turn once he's behind the ball...

Feckin daft

Gutsy

Good discussion is like a miniskirt. Short enough
Davo said:
As has been pointed out, you can now just leave a striker by the box...and get him to jog back when his team attacks - and then turn once he's behind the ball...

Feckin daft
Totally agree,. its a farce!! FIFA seem to take delight in making arses of themselves, the rule needs to be changed back and changed back now.

Jopub the Gooner

Arsenal - The IMMortals.....Sounds very nice ( and
I fear for the future of the game

1/

Given another two weeks we could be witnessing changes hitherto unknown strikers qued up near the goal waiting for accurate long balls ( Beckham will have afield day!) Midfielders will have acres of space and strangely enough we could see some real battles there as they will have to go it alone without help from defenders ( who will be watching the strikers on the goaline!)

Complete insanity

2/

The game is clearly being run by utter imbecilles. How anyone could contemplate this kind of tampering without seeing the ramifications is mind numbing

Just think, some little spark sat down and actually suggested to the high & Mighty that this would benefit the game AND the powers that be actually sat there discussed it and rubber stamped it :confused:

Could you run your own company as badly as this even if you really tried

:houllier: :houllier: ?

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Does the linesmen know what OFFSIDE IS FFS??????????????????????

THis could be disastrous, whenther it is at the top or scrapping at the bottom.

This new rule is complete and utter bollox.

Still have to say tho, :lol: :lol: at Walker.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
well all fifa seems to discuss is how to curb player behavious etc and creatin more meaningless awards
never heard them of holding a meeting to rectify rules
i mean how much time its gonna take anyway , just 3-4 hours of discussion with technical experts and rules can be sorted out
but it seems blatter is more interested in changin women clothing:rolleyes:

MelvinYeo

Sam Allardyce should be given a pat on the back for that, but simply it's disgraceful.

Basically you put a foward up everytime, don't bother to track back, when the ball is played they sprint back and turn to get the ball and they're about 20 yards clear of the last defender.

Bollox.

And whatever happened to interfering with play? Nolan and Davies(?) were affecting the line of vision of Walker and I thought that was counted offside?

kf

It's a farce. The one last night where Nolan hit the post, he has to be offside. He was offside when the free kick was taken, ran back onside, turned and got the ball direct from the free kick! Has to be offside but it relies on the linesman knowing that it was Nolan who was stood offside in the first place and it was also Nolan who emerged from the ruck of players to collect the ball and that the ball hasn't been touched on the way! It's just impossible and nonsense.

lonbwoy

Yeh Ruud is great at exploiting the rule, but the BLATANT off-sides Henry gets these days and scores from is ridiculous dont these lines-men know anything!!

Davo

lonbwoy said:
Yeh Ruud is great at exploiting the rule, but the BLATANT off-sides Henry gets these days and scores from is ridiculous dont these lines-men know anything!!
Thats a different point entirely.....simple errors

EZee

I assume the "new" interpratation is being applied all over europe... however I have not noticed any trouble in spain / italy... is the rule being applied differently in different countries... if so this could make a mockery of the champions league with teams from 2 countries and officials from a third!!! ... same goes for portugal this summer...

kf

EZee said:
I assume the "new" interpratation is being applied all over europe... however I have not noticed any trouble in spain / italy... is the rule being applied differently in different countries... if so this could make a mockery of the champions league with teams from 2 countries and officials from a third!!! ... same goes for portugal this summer...
That's a good point and I think as ever we're implementing directives that other FA's are simply ignoring or at least interpreting differently.

This is the FIFA press release on the subject back in October.

Laws of the Game: more detailed interpretation of Law 11: Offside

Zurich, 29 October 2003 -At the Annual Business Meeting of the International Football Association Board on 16 September 2003, a decision was passed in order to ensure uniform interpretation of Law 11: Offside (see below). The aim of this decision is to respect the Laws of the Game and to protect attacking play intended to lead to a goal, which is the ultimate objective in football. This is not a change to the Laws of the Game as this interpretation adheres entirely to the original wording of the Law.
Law 11 reads as follows: “A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball is touched or played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

interfering with play, or
interfering with an opponent, or
gaining an advantage by being in that position.”

How to interpret:

“interfering with play”

-> PLAYING OR TOUCHING a ball passed or touched by a team-mate.

“interfering with an opponent”

-> PREVENTING an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper’s line of vision or movements.

-> Making a gesture or movement while standing in the path of the ball to DECEIVE OR DISTRACT AN OPPONENT.

“gaining an advantage by being in that position”

-> PLAYING A BALL that rebounds off a post or the crossbar having been in an offside position.

-> PLAYING A BALL that rebounds off an opponent having been in an offside position.

With these clearer instructions, the referees will be in a better position to make informed decisions based on uniform criteria. However, as stipulated in the Laws of the Game, the referee’s decision is final.
I reckon if they get rid of the bit I've italicised it would be OK. A player standing in the six yard box in an offside position when a free kick comes in is distracting the goalkeeper whether or not he's in the path of the ball or not.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
the united arsenal clash could infact be decided by who bends the offside rules best.. :rolleyes:

thoward

It's not a lisp!
Davo said:
I blame RVN...he started all this

The big gay cheat

;)

Well if you put it like that why not blame the officials at that game who should have awarded the penalty in the first place. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Its the Gooners who've the biggest beneficiaries of refereeing decisions this season

joaojudas

EZee said:
i never heard that new here in Portugal :lol:
if its applied here... i don't notice anything. or the lines mans, are just ignoring that :lol:

kkcbl

thoward said:
Well if you put it like that why not blame the officials at that game who should have awarded the penalty in the first place. :mad: :mad: :mad:
You can't blame the officials regarding Ruud's goal because they were applying FIFA Directives & Ruud was therefore NOT considered offside!

Blame instead ignorant commentators like Andy Gray ( he shud have known about the new Directives! ) for insisting Ruud was offside despite his co-commentator trying to tell him of the new Directives, & newspaper journalists who made the same Hu-Ha the following morning despite Fergie clarifying the new Directives at a post-match interview, for these guys are the ones who further gave fuel to impressionable anti-ABUs like Davo to spout further ignorance! ;)

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
kkcbl said:
You can't blame the officials regarding Ruud's goal because they were applying FIFA Directives & Ruud was therefore NOT considered offside!

Blame instead ignorant commentators like Andy Gray ( he shud have known about the new Directives! ) for insisting Ruud was offside despite his co-commentator trying to tell him of the new Directives, & newspaper journalists who made the same Hu-Ha the following morning despite Fergie clarifying the new Directives at a post-match interview, for these guys are the ones who further gave fuel to impressionable anti-ABUs like Davo to spout further ignorance! ;)
Davo's just doing a windup, as thoward said - if the referee had not awarded a free-kick, when it was a blatant penalty, there would have been no free-kick for RVN to stand in an offside position.

MelvinYeo

The Football Association have confirmed that clubs will be outlawed from taking advantage of the new interpretation of the offside rule.
Problems have arisen after Fifa issued a new interpretation of the offside rule, which meant a player would only be offside if he was actively involved in play.

This caused controversy almost immediately, with Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy pouncing against Southampton after coming from an offside position.

Following this incident Bolton and Leicester both took the new ruling to extreme measures by deliberately placing players in offside positions - but far enough from the play that they were not interfering.

Premiership and Football League officials are ready to announce that any player using the new method will be penalised for 'improper conduct'.

"Bolton's plan was technically within the letter of the law but contrary to the spirit of the game," said an FA spokesman.

"Referees will now be told that if a player is seeking to circumvent the rules they should be cautioned for improper conduct."

----------------

Real hash of it now

:houllier:

MelvinYeo

I agree with this letter:

So, with the clarifying and now "act with in the spirit of the game" comments, the whole thing has just been muddied up and this is bound to lead to more inconsitencies. The inevitable controversial decisions will undoubtably favour the top teams, which will make so called 'lower club' managers more likely to complain (and lets face it the top managers will complain anyway, because that is what they do best), which will in turn lead to some other kind of clarification, which take things back to how they were. Alas, by then the promotion and relegation of too many clubs will have been decided due to goals scored, or dissalowed due the confusion that will reign. SAVE US, please.
Andy Hussey, Portsmouth

Old offside rule please, you're ahead of the play, you're offside.

THank you.

kkcbl

Melvinyeo said:
The Football Association have confirmed that clubs will be outlawed from taking advantage of the new interpretation of the offside rule.
Problems have arisen after Fifa issued a new interpretation of the offside rule, which meant a player would only be offside if he was actively involved in play.

This caused controversy almost immediately, with Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy pouncing against Southampton after coming from an offside position.

Following this incident Bolton and Leicester both took the new ruling to extreme measures by deliberately placing players in offside positions - but far enough from the play that they were not interfering.

Premiership and Football League officials are ready to announce that any player using the new method will be penalised for 'improper conduct'.

"Bolton's plan was technically within the letter of the law but contrary to the spirit of the game," said an FA spokesman.

"Referees will now be told that if a player is seeking to circumvent the rules they should be cautioned for improper conduct."

----------------
I don't think Ruud would have been booked if the new FA Directives, to counter the FIFA Directive, would have come into play b4 the Southampton game as he was only marginally off-side.

The Bolton players however, were blatant in trying to exploit the rule as they were at least 10 yards nearer than the nearest Leicester defender.

Having said that, the FA is talking 'bollocks' as with the present ( b4 the FIFA Directives! ) offside rules, defenders have been getting away with murder, just stepping a foot foward to catch an onside opponent offside, immediately before the opponent's team-mate releases the ball, with no attempt to play the ball at all, & they even do so right up to the half-way line.

Why should an attacking player be considered 'unsporting' when he takes advantage of the offside rule yet the defending player is not? :rolleyes:

MelvinYeo

kkcbl said:
I don't think Ruud would have been booked if the new FA Directives, to counter the FIFA Directive, would have come into play b4 the Southampton game as he was only marginally off-side.

The Bolton players however, were blatant in trying to exploit the rule as they were at least 10 yards nearer than the nearest Leicester defender.

Having said that, the FA is talking 'bollocks' as with the present offside rules, defenders have been getting away with murder, just stepping a foot foward to catch an onside opponent offside, immediately before the opponent's team-mate releases the ball, with no attempt to play the ball at all, & they even do so right up to the half-way line.

Why should an attacking player be considered 'unsporting' when he takes advantage of the offside rule yet the defending player is not? :rolleyes:
Exactly.

Change it back you FIFA idiots!!!

Wobbly

The real peoples favourite and most funniest poste
New Offside Rule

FA to act over offside controversy
Friday, 13 February 2004

by Graeme Bailey

------------------------------------------------------------------

So as i see it, Fifa initiate a directive on the offside law, and now because of the complaints from that scarred ginger Southampton manager, The FA are now going to caution players who abuse this ruling.

Is it any wonder referees lack consistancy, when governing bodies keep moving the goalposts to suit them.....

FFS leave the game alone.

MelvinYeo

Already a thread on this and the article already posted.

But I agree, go back to the old rule, when you're offside you're offside, no doubt and that would remove this malarky

sin65

Left wing radical
The directive was put in place for instances such as....

Gary Neville on the right puts a cross into the box,the defence clears the attack and the ball goes upfield.Gary stops to tie his laces/rub his legs after a hard challenge.Meanwhile Scholesy gets the ball in the circle fires it out wide left and another attack commences.Gary has now started jogging back down the right.Giggs puts a cross into the middle which Ruud heads into the net,Lehmann gutted United win the league but no......ref blows offside because Gary NOT interferring with play,in fact 30 yards away from play,was in an offside position.

We all get this surely so why the confusion.Anyone doing what Bolton did is deliberately acting against the spirit of the game.I dont understand what the big deal is.Everyone has complained about instances such as the above so the FA have clarified the ruling.

donnwyt

Melvinyeo said:

----------------

Real hash of it now

:houllier:
What about those quickly taken freekicks? Its legal but would it be "contrary to the spirit of the game" ?

kkcbl

donnwyt said:
What about those quickly taken freekicks? Its legal but would it be "contrary to the spirit of the game" ?
As I stated earlier, the English Ref's Association is getting all confused & screwed up & because they think they're the World's finest & England invented the game, they're refusing to follow the directives of FIFA & going it alone - that's why many foreign players complain that they have to adapt to the English way of refereeing because many of the finer points are just not followed in the English Game!

But this would only hurt England in the International front, both at club & National level, when they play in FIFA organised Tourneys as refs elsewhere follow FIFA Directives.

MelvinYeo

A meeting held on Friday between representatives of The FA, the Premier League and the Football League discussed advice given to referees on the application of the interpretation on involvement in active play.

This interpretation on offside was agreed by the International Football Association Board, the body responsible for the Laws of the Game, and communicated by FIFA to its Member Associations in October last year.

The parties today agreed that the following advice be issued to referees:-

If, in the opinion of the referee, the actions of a player in an offside position deceive or distract an opponent, that player will be given offside.

The FA’s Head of Refereeing, John Baker, said: "It was generally felt that a decision needed to be taken on how to apply this interpretation to the type of situations we have seen during the past week, particularly in relation to attacking free kicks.

"The Laws of the Game have not been changed, nor has the interpretation. We have simply sought to clarify the manner in which it should applied by referees."

Note

Law 11 states that "A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball is touched or played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

- Interfering with play

or

- Interfering with an opponent

or

- Gaining an advantage by being in that position

Interfering with an opponent, the issue discussed at today’s meeting, is interpreted as:

- Preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper’s line of vision

or

- Making a gesture or movement while standing in the path of the ball to deceive or distract an opponent.

Red_Molly

Davo said:
What a 'kin joke....as Bolton showed last night

No one seems to be happy with it, or be sure exactly how it should work....and its impossible for the linesman to apply accurately or consistently...

Nice move FIFA
I'm not so sure it's a bad thing if it merely reinforces the original law and the spitit of the game that is about goal scoring to decide who's best. Football is already a low scoring game, with well drilled defences able to thwart attacking play in crowded areas. Anything that gives the attacker more of an advantage and forces defences to defend deeper is to be welcomed I reckon. A few less 0-0 draws maybe. Quick thinking strikers like Ruud and Saha are going to be best advantaged too.

Mind you it could get like the football we all played in the play ground...remember the bile we'd give glory hunting goal hangers for their lack of work rate.